Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC Racing Competition #3 - Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track:WINNER-TacticalChaos  (Read 9713 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
Competition Rules:

- Use any car or transmission option available in the game.

- Fastest total time wins.  Winner picks the next game and track.
   If someone wins two competitions in a row, the 2nd place finisher will pick the next game and track.

- No savestates, savestate practices, etc. during the round.

- A screenshot or photo of your time displayed on the game screen is required to
  enter.  Video is great and would help others learn, but it isn't required.

- Everyone is encouraged to post their times even if faster times have already
  been submitted.  It's fun to compete with people of the same skill level even if a
  master of driving has already submitted an untouchable time.

- Please make sure your times are from games that take place during the
  competition period (no posting your best time from last year, etc.).

- Use of scripts or other non-standard hacks are not allowed.
   No program or other person or entity of any sort may manipulate your
   controls during your game.  Coaching & back-seat driving is fine as long as the
   party doesn't directly influence the game or controls.

- If you can beat any of the times from the previous competitions, you can submit
   your time in the LEADERBOARD thread stickied at the top of this forum.

- Have fun!

BYOAC Racing Competition #3 will be Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track
Competition ends at midnight Pacific Standard Time, Sunday May 5th.

emulator : mame
rom : harddriv (cockpit, rev 7)
difficulty : easy (the default)

We're going with the main parent rom as the compact version still had a clutch.

To enter the service menu, a DIP switch must be flipped to ON in the MAME in-game menu.
To map the shifter in MAME see this post: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105961.msg1226703.html#msg1226703
More setup information is available at MAMEDev: http://www.mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php?title=FAQ:Games#Hard_Drivin.27_.2F_Race_Drivin.27

Pay close attention when calibrating the brake:

8. Take your foot off the brake turn key to abort. Now this is the tricky part. When you see this screen do nothing. Wait for a couple of seconds until it displays New max 4064. Do NOT press the 1 key prematurely here or you will screw up the calibration!
 9. Now step on brake firmly and release. Do this by pressing and holding the Left Alt key for 3 seconds, and then letting go. If all is well, it should display Range 4064 and move on to the game.

I have sensetivity set to 1 in MAME's analog control settings and it still feels overly sensetive to me.

Good Luck Everyone!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:34:34 am by BadMouth »

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: BYOAC Racing Competition #3 - Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:46 pm »
i'm out this round..

never could play hard drivin, or finish a race.

good luck to you guys, looking forward to more races.

later

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
i'm out this round..

never could play hard drivin, or finish a race.

good luck to you guys, looking forward to more races.

later

I've never finished a race either.  I will give it a go though. 
Hopefully using Logitech profile to lower the sensetivity lower than what MAME allows will help.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:38:47 am »
Ditto.  The game isn't really playable in mame, the controls are crap due to that oddball steering wheel it used.

Even if it was working properly it's still Hard Drivin' so it still kinda sucks.  ;)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:35 am »
Even if it was working properly it's still Hard Drivin' so it still kinda sucks.  ;)

XuiceBox clearly stated this is the best racing game ever and if he owned one and had it on location he'd have more money than Scrooge McDuck,
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:44:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:50 am »
This game is so bad is laughable.  I need to figure out the controls to get it going... 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

XuiceBox clearly stated this is the best racing game ever and if he owned one and had it on location he'd have more money than Scrooge McDuck,

I didn't realize that there were Hard Drivin' millionaires out there.  I'd like to count up all this vast wealth that game raked in.   :laugh2:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
I guess I'll start the ball

1:50.76

Cant go by "lap time" it says 55 seconds, and thats what was on the lap timer when I ran out of time.

and you can see my bacon shirt!

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:21:19 am »
Rules say no using a program that manipulates the controls. Does that include stuff like the H2 shifter program made for this and also used with the model 2 emulator so people can use manual with sequential shifters and no clutch?
(just curious for future reference as trying to use manual and a clutch on this game severely increases my times)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: BYOAC Racing Competition #3 - Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
Rules say no using a program that manipulates the controls. Does that include stuff like the H2 shifter program made for this and also used with the model 2 emulator so people can use manual with sequential shifters and no clutch?
(just curious for future reference as trying to use manual and a clutch on this game severely increases my times)

IMO, I don't have a problem with people using it with M2 games to make them payable.  I don't think it offers an unfair advantage there and Supermodel has the same functionality built in.

If it is entering the clutch input for you in Hard Drivin' though, that is an unfair advantage over those who have to time their clutch presses or choose automatic because they don't have a clutch pedal.

Sent using Board Express

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:05 am »
agreed.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
in the future,

you might want to consider a short list of racing games that people will
be willing to play.

or make a poll.... that way the list might be limited to more popular games.

you have sega rally and daytona listed already. those would be great choices
for the winner to choose from.

later

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
Re: RE: BYOAC Racing Competition #3 - Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »

IMO, I don't have a problem with people using it with M2 games to make them payable.  I don't think it offers an unfair advantage there and Supermodel has the same functionality built in.

If it is entering the clutch input for you in Hard Drivin' though, that is an unfair advantage over those who have to time their clutch presses or choose automatic because they don't have a clutch pedal.

Sent using Board Express

Makes sense. With one exception...I only seem to really need the clutch when starting the car, otherwise it doesn't seem to care if I just shift through the gears without it. Unless that's just me and somethings goofy with my setup. I was using the h2 sequential program with with a "real" clutch. Since I didn't map the shifter in the game to SPACE it shouldn't of been manipulating it.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:30:22 am »
The game isn't really playable in mame, the controls are crap due to that oddball steering wheel it used.

Even if it was working properly it's still Hard Drivin' so it still kinda sucks.

Oddball Wheel?  Are u nuts?!

Hard Drivin / Race Drivin Sitdowns   have the most realistic controls for a Driving game ever created PERIOD.

Everything that it had way back then, are things that the Sim Crowd is still having trouble getting their hands on for less than the $3000.

1)  Race Drivins Force Feedback at Max level, could probably spin a small child like a rotisserie chicken.  Its a massive motor, about 7" diameter, and weighs like 50#.   Nothing else comes even close.   Its not just powerful, but also smooth and accurate.    No gears or slipping belts.  Its Direct drive, and will outlast all other FFB devices by well over 50yrs.  (with exception to replacing the motor brushes, which is easy and standard).  Ive never seen one broken.

3)  RDs  wheel has a more true 6 wheel rotation.  It does so using a thick metal worm drive that has end stops on it.  It uses a 10-Turn pot for accurate positional data.   The most recent SimRacer wheel that Id looked up, has a similar design, but its far less durable, and costs about $2000.

4) RDs wheel is huge.  Standard game wheels, and even Sim wheels, are much smaller than typical car wheels.  Most are plastic as well.. and just feel wrong.

5) RDs Pedals are again, a revolution in the industry.  They were, as far as I know, the first to install vertically hung pedals in an arcade machine.   Each pedal has a different spring mechanism, for a custom feel. 

5a)  The Brake, has a rubber compression part.. and gives additive resistance the further you press.  The brake also used an actual pressure sensor, instead of a geared Pot... which is unheard of.  As far as Id read recently... Sim fans are dying to get their mitts on true pressure sensors for their brakes.  Theres some that exists, and they again, are very expensive.  But the feel and precision, is what its all about.

5b) The entire pedal assy weighs about 20lbs.  Again, robust.  Heavy duty, and made to last forever.

5c) The gas pedal is smooth as silk, with no odd spring or creaking noises.   The springs themselves, are very large and strong... and are pivoted in such a way to give the proper leverage for that wonderfully smooth control.

6)  The Sitdown Shifter,  is probably the best Arcade shifter ever assembled.   In fact, I doubt any shifter for Sims compares to it.  Unlike most shifters which use switches.. this uses dual pots.  Switches fail a lot more quickly than pots, as well as create a lot of mechanical challenges for an assembly like this.   Theres no clickity click, nor odd resistance, from Microswitches here.   Even Optos fail more often than Pots.

The shifter has a perfect hand fitting wooden balltop, and a real shifter boot.   The shifter has a special spring mechanism, that makes helps snap the shifter into and out of gear.  The tension level is perfect.   The shifter shaft, is fairly thin, which is much nicer than many other shifters... as thicker shafts tend to create tension in-between the fingers, due to you needing to spread them much further apart.

Additionally, the game features a function which can fire a solenoid off inside the shifter assembly,  so that you cant just change gears without the clutch.   Most Ops have turned this feature off... but for the experienced, is a nice added bit of realism.   They sparred no expense on this majorly awesome assembly.   Its also a heavy beast.  Much heavier than the Pedal set, due to a near quarter inch steel housing.   This thing will only require a Pot change once every +10yrs or so.

7) It was the only game I know of, that used a high power Magnet to keep the seat locked in place.  You could use a seat-adjust button, to change it at any time.  The magnet is under the seat assys floorboards.  Theres a huge metal plate under it that it sticks to when charged.    Unlike most racers, which have set distance seats, or have a rough spring loaded seat adjuster..   this method is butter smooth, even if its a bit over the top.

8) RD also features a near fully enclosure, which helps add to the experience.  Turning your full attention to the game.

9) RD is one of the very few racers in which you actually NEED to use the brake... or you will fly off the cliff.  Most racers, you can just let off the gas.  Thats not enough for this game.

10) RD's physics were created by a guy who specializes in automotive / racing physics.  Everything is considered, from air pressure in the tires, mass of the car, and much more.  One time I actually landed on a single tire, which caused an actual spin from one tire to the next, as my car was literally doing a diagonal angle, flat rotational  spin.

No other racer did this level of simulation before.. and only later,  by Atari themselves, would create spinnoffs like SanFrancisco Rush.  However, the controllers on that game were very generic.. and couldnt even come close to creating as good of an experience.  Better graphics, cool secrets, and fun airtime.. but the game felt lacking because of the reduction in controls and inferior force feedback.

Daytona USA was probably the closest thing.. and I Loved that game.. but it still felt like a game.. where as RD was like an actual drive.  A real experience.

11) RD was also one of the only (?) arcade games that required an actual Key turn to start the engine.  I think that says a lot about the level of realism and quality in this design.

12) Ive heard special version of this game was being tested or used at the DMV,  for tests leading up to getting their actual License to drive.

13) The game has ability to have (I believe), unlimited number of monitors.  Ive seen a set up with 5 monitors.  I was told, that each monitor can have its own perspective.

14) One version of the game had an extra stock car track, where you could race a linked player for a set number of laps. I think in this mode, a game could last 20min?   My memory is a little fuzzy.

Although the graphics do not hold up, obviously..   What makes the game amazing, was how realistic the force feeback was... as well as the controller feel and precision.   The physics also made this much more than its graphical look.
These things combined, supercede the visuals.    Its also more fun to play than Rush, as a result.

As many of your will not have these controllers, (can a true 10-turn pot even be hooked up to a pc?)  you are of course missing out of the best part of the game.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:30 am »
:blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:

I dont see a time posted in there. Put Up or Shut Up.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:16:17 am »
I actually like hearing about the inner workings of the games.  I wondered how the stops worked.

I was waiting until I made it around the track twice to post a time,
figuring the second lap would be better since the car would already be up to speed when starting.
Haven't had time to play anymore though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:42 am »
I actually like hearing about the inner workings of the games.  I wondered how the stops worked.
He's mixing in fact with opinion, and he's saying how great this game is based on the hardware and cabinet of the deluxe sitdown cab, of which NONE of us are using.  I will respond with  CITATION to back up my facts.

Im not going to chip away at all of his post, I dont have that kind of time but for his #6 point, how did he know what most OPs did with their games? I think he's around my age or younger, and I was 11 when this game came out.

Point #9 , while you do need the brake , downshifting is much better and more efficient way to reduce speed. (no citation, its my opinion and a pretty common one)

Point #10 , Doug Milliken didn't "make the physics" of this game, he was a consultant for the physics. Tire pressure was not factored in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Drivin%27
The engine, transmission control, suspension, and tire physics were modeled in conjunction with Doug Milliken who was listed as a test driver in the game credits. In the 1950s his father William Milliken of Milliken Research led a team at Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory in Buffalo NY USA (later Calspan) that converted aircraft equations of motion to equations of motion for the automobile, and became one of the world's leading experts in car modeling
and in my opinion the physic are neat up until you tap the corner of the barn at 5mph and go flying backwards in a ball of fire.

As for #11, the key was a gimmick, nothing more than a button shaped like a key that hit a cherry switch.
http://arcadefixit.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6AFA2E811EC0A2CB8B490CCA6EFB2E38.qscstrfrnt03?productId=998&categoryId=12

#12 I can find no record of that happening in any state, citation needed on your end. I think you are mixing the AGC Mobile Operations Simulator (AMOS) prototype from 1990 with your own fantasies. It was used a police training simulator and NOT a DMV test.

#13 That's Race Drivin Panorama, only 25-50 were ever made; not Hard Drivin, and you needed 1 set of boards per monitor. Was shipped with 3 monitor configuration.

#14 That would be Street Drivin, not Hard Drivin or Race Drivin and that game never came out.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=770

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
He responded because I made a comment, and apparently he's on some sort of holy crusade to discredit any comment I say, no matter how innocent. 

Just ignore him like I do.... he'll probably be on my block list before too long. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
He responded because I made a comment, and apparently he's on some sort of holy crusade to discredit any comment I say, no matter how innocent. 

Just ignore him like I do.... he'll probably be on my block list before too long.

I think the hole in his head is bigger than the one in his stomach. I take the blame,I mentioned him in this thread :(

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:21:08 am »
Point #9 , while you do need the brake , downshifting is much better and more efficient way to reduce speed. (no citation, its my opinion and a pretty common one)

I dont believe it is possible to merely Downshift on Race Drivins hill that has the Cow on it.  Without a good braking, you tumble off the hill.   

Point #10 , Doug Milliken didn't "make the physics" of this game, he was a consultant for the physics. Tire pressure was not factored in.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=hard-drivin%27-no.-136052-cockpit-model&page=detail&id=1083

You may have noticed that the Credit Screen lists Doug Milliken as a Test Driver (See Staff section). He is listed as a Test Driver because Atari didn't want anyone to know what he really did. Hard Drivin' had to be as accurate as possible. That meant doing an accurate car model to mathematically describe the physics of how the parts of the car (engine, transmission, springs, shock absorbers, tires, etc.) react to each other, to the road and to the driver's inputs. The pioneer in the field (in the 1950s) was William Milliken of Milliken Research. His son, Doug, has continued his father's work. Doug is probably the world's leading expert in car modelling. Doug and his father wrote the book on car modelling.

- Btw, What exactly do you think Tire-Physics entills buddy?  Tires have air in them, and thus their physics properties are based on that fact.  Point being,  even the very Tires were considered and factored into the sim.

and in my opinion the physic are neat up until you tap the corner of the barn at 5mph and go flying backwards in a ball of fire.

- Its not a full sim.  Its a coin eating game, and therefore. things like this were probably added that way on purpose.

As for #11, the key was a gimmick, nothing more than a button shaped like a key that hit a cherry switch.

I know exactly what the Key was internally.   My point, is that no other game used a key to start the engine.  The level of realism, went far above and beyond the typical game.   Btw - that little key assemble would not have been cheap either.. as simple as it may seem.

#12 I can find no record of that happening in any state, citation needed on your end. I think you are mixing the AGC Mobile Operations Simulator (AMOS) prototype from 1990 with your own fantasies. It was used a police training simulator and NOT a DMV test.

Id seen it ages ago online, or in some game magazine.  Well before I heard about the police version.

#13 That's Race Drivin Panorama, only 25-50 were ever made; not Hard Drivin, and you needed 1 set of boards per monitor. Was shipped with 3 monitor configuration.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Web%20Archives/Jeff%20Andersen%20%28Sep%2027%202003%29/rdp/default.htm

The Panorama hardware is identical to Race Drivin', there is only a software change and the additional hardware for the side monitors. The side monitors each contain a "multisync" PCB, which is the same hardware as used in S.T.U.N. Runner. The Multisync hardware is standard resolution (15.7 Khz), unlike the main monitor which is medium resolution (24 Khz). The side monitors are completely passive, the only wires going to them are 120VAC, a single serial line and a logic ground. The main PCB just talks on it's "serial A" port, and tells the side monitor hardware what to display. The side monitors do not talk back to the main PCB and are all tied to the same serial line. Race Drivin' uses "serial A" for linking to another machine. "serial B" is left unused. The manual states that Panorama cannot be linked to another game, but there ARE linking options in the selt-test menus, and there is still that extra serial port left unused.. seems to me the game should have been linkable? If not, my guess is the hardware isn't fast enough to be able to link, or Atari just never implemented it because they thought nobody would use it.. After all, next to nobody linked Race Drivin's, and there sure aren't going to be nearly as many Panoramas made.

#14 That would be Street Drivin, not Hard Drivin or Race Drivin and that game never came out.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=770

The attract mode isn't any different than Race Drivin', with the addition of the Stock Car track map screen and some additional text. The Stock Car track does not have an attract mode replay like the other 3 tracks. When showing the track screens, the side monitors display the car's specs.
The Stock Car track is a hell of a lot of fun.. you race against 6 other cars, and all the turns are 90MPH, so you really don't ever go below 100MPH. If you don't wreck its pretty easy to get in 2 laps, I have yet to get a third (factory settings, medium). The track seems to borrow a couple sections from the original speed track, but has a bunch of buildings to look at and plenty of cows as well :) What is really cool about this track is it really lends itself well to Panorama, the other cars are usually always right in the pack with you so you can glance over at the side monitors and see where the other cars are. Qualifying on this track lets you race Phantom Photon.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
You can downshift on that turn, everyone who drives 4 speed does.

Your retort to my point 10 is the same info on a different website, congrats for letting me know you don't actually read links people post but you expect people to read your keyboard diarrhea.

Tire physics took into consideration steering angle and rotation speed, not air pressure. I didn't see any mention of toe, camber, or caster of the wheels being factors either, not even tire wear seems to be mentioned as a factor.

The rest of your drivel is just proving my point, you are talking about slightly better updates/sequels to this average game and saying they are in the original. You keep spouting opinion as fact, and you cant back anything up.

" Id seen it ages ago online, or in some game magazine.  Well before I heard about the police version."
citation needed.

Lastly, this thread is not about discussing the subpar racing game called Hard Drivin' , its about a racing competition in said crummy racing game. So go run a lap and post the time or start a new thread about how great YOU think this game is.

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:45 am »
I'm thinking its time to just close this thread....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:10 am »
I'm thinking its time to just close this thread....

Naaaah.   I thought about making the competition end a week sooner, but decided just to let it go.
It will end soon enough.  If I win, I'll pick something easy and I have a feeling Malenko would do the same.
TacticalChaos won the last one so even if he wins, he doesn't get to pick again this time.

I let the winner pick because that's how the competition threads in the main forum work.
We could switch to a dictatorship and I'll just pick all the games.  >:D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 09:44:26 am »
I was gonna pick Chicago in Cruis'n USA.

kidding, I hate that track. I was actually considering Daytona USA Easy, who doesnt love that track? Im terrible at it personally with laptimes in the low 16s to the high 19s, but its fun!

I should be giving the current challenge another go tonight and this weekend. The time I posted was a pretty good run, but I think if I tweak my wheel sensitivity I can compensate for the tire pressure lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:04 am »
I gave it a shot, but the controls were all over the place, thus my comments. 

I'm just hoping that from now on people simply choose games that are playable.  Thus far we've had two games with the yellow warning screens and a game with a steering wheel we can't possibly replicate on a home setup. 

When they have a warning screen it's a crap shot.  The first one was ok, but the second... well I think that's why some of us were getting really bad flickering.

So a simple rule like "games must be marked as working and games must use a standard analog steering wheel" should suffice. 

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:05 am »
I gave it a shot, but the controls were all over the place, thus my comments. 

I'm just hoping that from now on people simply choose games that are playable.  Thus far we've had two games with the yellow warning screens and a game with a steering wheel we can't possibly replicate on a home setup. 

When they have a warning screen it's a crap shot.  The first one was ok, but the second... well I think that's why some of us were getting really bad flickering.

So a simple rule like "games must be marked as working and games must use a standard analog steering wheel" should suffice.

I vote dictatorship.  :)

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »
Things you may of not known about hard drivin'

1)  Hard Drivins Force Feedback at Max level, can be used to winch an 18 wheeler out of the ditch.

3)  HDs  wheel is made of solid gold.

4) HDs wheel is huge.  They are using one for a ferris wheel in london now.

5) HDs Pedals are again, a revolution in the industry. Before this no arcade game had pedals. Neither did actual

cars.

5a) The Brake, has a rubber.

5b) The entire pedal assy was forged from the same fires of Moloch wince the wheel came.

6)  The Sitdown Shifter, uses a massive hand fitted diamond balltop. It took hundreds of ethoiopians decades to

create this master piece.

Additionally the shifter assembly was made by combining 4 "golden gate bridge" class I-beams together. People in

the future have carbon dated these back millions of years.

7) It was the only game I know of, that used an electro magnet that would normally be in a junk yard for the

seat lock. Also the seat featured an ejection seat like one you would see in a fighter jet. I know of many ops

that had to replace their roofs daily.

8) HD also features a full enclosure, Atari actually contracted with GM to make real cars for them, then they

ripped out most of the guts and replaced them with HD's superior mechanicals.

9) HD is the first racer to use a brake. All arcade games before it just had a pedal there for looks, they

didn't actually do anything, and since no one ever used it, no one was the wiser.

10) HD's physics were created by NASA. This was the whole reason behind the moon landing hoax. The whole apollo

program was a front to funnel funds into the Hard Drivin' program. Atari then disabled all this because it's a

coin game after all. That's why your car can, in addition to flying backwards at 60mph after hitting the barn at

5, randomly fall through the road and explode, can do backflips over other cars like the Blue's Mobile, and last

but not least, the reason that a dump truck is going around the f***ing stunt loop.

I also think daytona USA was an awesome simulator.

11) HD was also one of the only arcade games that required a trip to the DMV to get your license and

registration before playing.

12) HD was also one of the only arcade games you could (had?) to get car insurance for. I think the other one

was wacky wheels.

13) The game has ability to have (I believe), a hook up to every screen on the planet simultaneously through a

proprietary wireless network (thanks to NASA again).

14) All of this wasn't cheap, many ops had to refinance their businesses and thus the roots of the housing market

crash can be traced all the way back to HD.

My memory is a little fuzzy.

Now that was fun, who's up for HD Airborne?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:56:18 pm by TacticalChaos »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
I misread his #14 as an extra car, which was street driving, Im glad he admitted he was wrong about their being another track in the game that is currently being played int his competition though. his quote-fu kinda sucks.

TC: that's pretty funny!

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
I don't know if the championship lap would qualify, since there are no other cars on the track (even your opponent isn't really there). But I've included it anyway.
The bottom pic is captured before I made a complete second lap...anticipating I would and that the "last" time would be wiped out if I did, good thing to keep in mind.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:19 pm »
Thats better than my best time on legit hardware :/   

hey badmouth, maybe its not a bad idea to kill this one early =)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: BYOAC Racing Competition #3 - Hard Drivin' - Stunt Track LAST DAY!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »
Last day!

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »

Ignore my post Ive just seen my error.

My best personal time with a flying start from the speed track is is 1:13:71 (from memory) on a UK upright. I have 3 machines. Just posting for fun, please don't count my time. I'm not willing to do a video as I am currently going for the twin cities record and don't want to give away my lines and techniques. Watch this space!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:55:01 pm by vtivti »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »

Ignore my post Ive just seen my error.

My best personal time with a flying start from the speed track is is 1:13:71 (from memory) on a UK upright. I have 3 machines. Just posting for fun, please don't count my time. I'm not willing to do a video as I am currently going for the twin cities record and don't want to give away my lines and techniques. Watch this space!
But this is for the stunt track?

Hope a fun game gets picked next time

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 09:30:25 am »
Winner is TacticalChaos with a time of 1:38:01 (on a regular lap with other cars on the track)

Since TacticalChaos won last time, Malenko gets to pick the track for the next competition.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:08 am »
Winner is TacticalChaos with a time of 1:38:01 (on a regular lap with other cars on the track)

Since TacticalChaos won last time, Malenko gets to pick the track for the next competition.

you came in second, not me.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:11 am »

you came in second, not me.

Damn.  You're right.

I was going to go for Daytona, but I think the beginner track on Sega Rally is more fun.

Next competition will be Sega Rally - Desert (easy) in practice mode.
Thread with settings will be posted tonight.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
haha, ironically I was going to pick that or Daytona Easy  :cheers: