Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Obey Your Master  (Read 6093 times)

MaineEvent

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2015, 07:45:33 pm
Obey Your Master
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:39:43 pm »

I have a raging pinball boner after watching this. Can't wait to play it!
My Games:
Arkanoid

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Obey Your Master
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:31 pm »

Another old white rock band pinball.

Whoopee. 

:banghead:

MTPPC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:33 pm »
Metallica really screwed the pooch when they came out against P2P sharing like they did. ---fudgesicle--- those greedy ---daisies---. I won't ever stick a quarter into one of those machines... and I've paid to see Metallica live when they were fresh. LOSERS! Gary Stern must be on dope!
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:41:00 am »

Whoopee. 

Stern is diversifying with it's next pin; it will feature an old, yet only mostly white rock band next.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:13 am »

:laugh2:

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:51 am »

Whoopee. 

While I dont disagree with comments regarding the lack of creativity, you do understand that they're target market for these games for in home and likely on location are white guys that grew up listening to metallica?  In the end you do what sells, or what you think would sell....they are just hoping for AC/DC 2.0.

Personally, if they MUST do licensed themes I'd dig a Radiohead pinball machine  ;D

I'm more curious to see what Star Trek is going to be like.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:48 am »

It's not the second.  It's the fourth.  Elvis and Rolling Stones count.

It could be argued that Elvis does not because it's a Whitestar game but Rolling Stones was only a couple of games ago.

I am expecting their first 2014 pin to be either Eagles or Bruce Springsteen but we all know it will end up being Kiss again.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:31:42 am »
I'd rather play Toto than Metallica, personally.

Maybe you should try licensing the "Urkelpin" concept to Stern, Vigo? Kids that grew up watching Family Matters are approaching 30 now.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:28 am »

Only if it has a Stefan mode.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:51 pm »
"Did I do that? MULTIBALL!!!"

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2:  Sadly, I think that would be a bigger attraction than a lot of the stern licenses. It might actually bring a plot back into pinball. Something like trash Carl's house and get a date with Laura.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:45 pm »

Pulling Carl's audio clips from Die Hard would be epic.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:01:23 am »
Actually,  old Metalica is pretty rockin.  Justice was my fav.  Black was when they went into a nose dive. 

Black was ok... but its far too bland.  Load killed it for me completely, never to buy anything else from them.   Then when the
documentary 'Some kind of monster'  came on tv... I was completely disgusted at how lame they had became.  Their attempt to create
new songs was Face-Palm horrific.  Their best efforts wouldnt even get them on stage, if they didnt have their past reputation behind
them. 

I kinda like then more than ACDC though, as I cant take dominant super midrange sound + that odd voice of the singer.

But, I really dont get the cheezy cartoon character aspect here at all.  It SUX.

When you think of your fav rock band, you dont think about cheesy monster cartoon figures !!!   Back when I thought about
a theme like this, I envisioned a total  Justice  theme.  Lady Liberty in chains, just like the Cover art.  Possible mini automated performers on a stage.. with motorized lighting cans.

Personally, I think they should have went with Megadeth.  A  'Hanger 18'  (Area 51)  themed game would be awesome.  Rust In Peace, is far greater than anything Metallica has ever made.

This design actually might make elvis look good, and thats quite sad.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »
Actually,  old Metalica is pretty rockin.  Justice was my fav.  Black was when they went into a nose dive. 

Black was ok... but its far too bland.  Load killed it for me completely, never to buy anything else from them.   Then when the
documentary 'Some kind of monster'  came on tv... I was completely disgusted at how lame they had became.  Their attempt to create
new songs was Face-Palm horrific.  Their best efforts wouldnt even get them on stage, if they didnt have their past reputation behind
them. 

I kinda like then more than ACDC though, as I cant take dominant super midrange sound + that odd voice of the singer.

But, I really dont get the cheezy cartoon character aspect here at all.  It SUX.

When you think of your fav rock band, you dont think about cheesy monster cartoon figures !!!   Back when I thought about
a theme like this, I envisioned a total  Justice  theme.  Lady Liberty in chains, just like the Cover art.  Possible mini automated performers on a stage.. with motorized lighting cans.

Personally, I think they should have went with Megadeth.  A  'Hanger 18'  (Area 51)  themed game would be awesome.  Rust In Peace, is far greater than anything Metallica has ever made.

This design actually might make elvis look good, and thats quite sad.

Dude....come on arent you the one always bashing screen print art from Stern and here they have actual drawn artwork and your complaining about it?

And there is no way Megadeth is ever going to be a theme to anything.  As washed up as Metallica is Megadeth is no where close to relevant enough to have a pinball machine themed after them.  They probably werent relevant enough even in their prime to justify a pinball theme.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 11:37:18 pm »
Dude....come on arent you the one always bashing screen print art from Stern and here they have actual drawn artwork and your complaining about it?

Because in this instance, its not appropriate nor desirable.

If this was Wizard of Oz,  Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, Avatar..  etc... It would be great.

But a Rock band, isnt something you turn into ridiculous looking monsters.   If you are going to use actual screened artwork
on a rock band,  it should actually resemble the band members.    If you like Guns N Roses, your going to want to see Axel,
and not some Troll like figurine that doesnt even really resemble him.

The whole monster concept doesnt even fit Metallica.

Back when Metallica was good..   they were youthful punks with talent, creativity and complexity, and who sang songs with deep meaning to them.  Things like Master of Puppets..  about drug addiction.   The album art is brilliant, with its masses of graves, and strings rising from the gaves, all connecting to a puppeteers controlling cross bar.   Its beautifully arranged, colored, and the imagery conveys a powerful impact upon you.

To turn that into an Abstract Cartoon, cheapens that entire message.  As if its all a big joke.

Metallica wasnt about jokes.  ACDC was.  So if anyone was to be turned into an Abstract or highly exaggerated cartoon figure, it should be someone like that.

And there is no way Megadeth is ever going to be a theme to anything.  As washed up as Metallica is Megadeth is no where close to relevant enough to have a pinball machine themed after them.  They probably werent relevant enough even in their prime to justify a pinball theme.

A lot of Metallica fans are also fans of Megadeth.  And many of the fans have dropped metallica, and have stayed with Megadeth.
Megadeth also had a youth impact, from their songs being in the first few Guitar Hero's.  (As some of the Hardest challenges in that game)

They also have far more Exceptional  songs / albums   to listen to than Metallica.

How about a Michael Jackson pin?  Id bet on that being a really big hit, if done well.
Seeing MJ dance on an lcd display, would attract a lot of attention.

Hes probably the most universally known & loved musically, all over the world.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:54 am »
If all is right with the world,   and it isn't,   then this should be STERN's lowest selling title of the 21st century...

I am the first guy to bash WOZ as a theme but at least Judy Garland could actually sing and posessed REAL talent.

A bunch of adolescents back  in the day made this turd of a group famous by buying their albums with funds from a weekly allowance and saved up high school lunch money....

Now there's a demographic that knows true talent when they see it...

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
#1 Metallica wasnt about jokes.  ACDC was.  So if anyone was to be turned into an Abstract or highly exaggerated cartoon figure, it should be someone like that.

#2 They also have far more Exceptional  songs / albums   to listen to than Metallica.

#3 How about a Michael Jackson pin?

1 - Fair point.  I think I'm just excited that they attempted hand drawn art vs. screen print.  In mind its a step in the right direction regardless of the inappropriate application to this theme.

2 - We'll have to agree to disagree.  There are some good Megadeth songs but no where near the discography of Metallica.  Not even close.

3 - Please stop with this insane talk.  That would be the one pin I'd have no problem taking an axe to.

And to smartbomb's comments regarding low sales....I think there is a thread on Pinside suggesting they are already sold out on any preorders?  My guess is it will be a hit.  The target market for pinball are guys who listened to Metallica growing up..........and probably havent grown up much since  ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:53 am »
If all is right with the world,   and it isn't,   then this should be STERN's lowest selling title of the 21st century...

The LEs sold out within a couple of hours... after only showing a few concept photos and a video from the lead singer.  People stood at the gates throwing bundles of cash at Stern's front door.   :P

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:22:39 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 12:21:32 pm »
And many of the fans have dropped metallica, and have stayed with Megadeth.

Kind of a broad statement, don't ya' think?

MaineEvent

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2015, 07:45:33 pm
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
Wow, so you guys are more interested in the political and corporate side of games? I love playing pinball and any new game is exciting to see.
We are at a great moment where there are numerous companys, large and smal,l producing new games. It's a win-win for everyone!
I would never say something like "I wouldn't drop a quarter in that", just because I don't agree with the theme or license or who was better to the music industry 20 years ago.....That is just depriving yourself of fun and keeping pinball down.
I am stoked for this game to hit pubs near me!
Metal up your ass
My Games:
Arkanoid

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 08:12:02 am »
The same mindless people who bought the music is buying this game..

If you made a Rockin' With TOTO Limited Edition... it would sell out in 5 minutes too... why?   Because  more than half of the people buying LE's are Speculators....

Has ANY LE made to date LOST any value yet?  Seems to me ALL of them have INCREASED in value.

How may  METURDICA PRO editions will be sold in relation to say AC/DC PRO Editions?   That will be the TRUE test of popularity.

By the way I have #34 Locked up for the Rockin' With TOTO Limited Edition... Looks like a WAY better game anyway..

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »
Smartbomb - man its pretty clear you have a bias towards this pin because you clearly are not, or ever have been, a Metallica fan.  Doesnt make it a bad pin gameplay wise.  Fact is you dont know how it plays. 

Did you get beat up in HS by a guy wearing a Metallica T-shirt or something?  They had many good years of quality music.  Just because its not your cup o tea doesnt make it mindless music.  Actually as a Xioua pointed out earlier there were actually some thought provoking messages in their music.

Chill

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
Has ANY LE made to date LOST any value yet?  Seems to me ALL of them have INCREASED in value.

Transformers LE didn't sell out and sat at distributors for quite a while.  X-Men LE Magnetos are still sitting around.  Hulk LEs are being sold off at losses now by people who want Metallicas. 

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 07:56:34 am »
Thanks for enlightening me about the few LE flops that there are..I appreciate being kept up to date.

I spend too much time shuttered in the shop...

And just how many HULK defectors are there?

BMI Gaming says they have Meturdica LE's for $8075...ouch. 

Someone would really be a PUPPET to pay that price.

How is that sold out?   Is it because distrubutors bought them?

http://www.bmigaming.com/games-pinball-new.htm

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 09:15:17 am »
How is that sold out?   Is it because distrubutors bought them?

http://www.bmigaming.com/games-pinball-new.htm

It's a fair question.  Judging from the amount of scrambling going on on Pinside I assume that most of the distributors are sold out too.  Some people are talking about even having distributors offer to buy their preorder back at a higher price (presumably to sell it again at an even higher price). 

The whole thing is stupid to me.  Bad idea to plunk down thousands on something that doesn't even exist yet.  I guess there are more than enough guys with very deep pockets, though, and no impulse control.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:04 pm »
Agreed...everyone gets caught up in the initial hype... It takes time for the game to actually deliver...or not.

As you pointed out...TFLE's are still available...TRON LE's are going for almost twice their sticker price.

In the current state of the insanely priced pinball market it is hard to beleive that the value of any game has leveled off or depreciated..

Again though.. I still feel speculation skews the first impression of popularity...  It's the new latest hot penny stock that you just can't lose owning... ... ...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:49 am »
TRON LE's are going for almost twice their sticker price.

This is the really dumb one, too.  It plays the same.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 02:32:40 pm »
I guess there are more than enough guys with...no impulse control.

That is a male tendency.
-Banned-

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 02:56:54 pm »

That is a male tendency.

Perhaps that is why they don't make any pinball machines catered to the wimmins.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 03:03:56 pm »

That is a male tendency.

Perhaps that is why they don't make any pinball machines catered to the wimmins.

That's where Urkelpin would make a shitload of cash.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 03:16:27 pm »
 :laugh2:

Hot damn, you're right. Get me on the next plane to Chicago, I have a pinball machine to propose.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 02:01:03 am »
The same mindless people who bought the music

Are you really going to call me mindless?!

Let me tell you what Mindless is...  Its someone who had no clue about something, but shoots it down immediately from his prejudices and Assumptions.

This level of your prejudices and assumptions, is ridiculous.   Its Obvious you have never heard nor read the Lyrics to any Metal bands songs.   You probably think they are all about killing babies, promoting violence, and Satanism right?

"Master of Puppets"  is about Drugs destroying your life.  (IE: Against doing drugs!)  Its lyrics are far more poetic that 99% of the crap that play on the airwaves these days.

"One"  is about a soldier who stepped on a landmine.  He loses his limbs, eyes, ears and mouth. His mind functions perfectly, however, leaving him trapped inside his own body.  Doctors note that he often bands his head on a pillow, but they dont know why.  Eventually, a Military man noted that it was Morse code.  He was saying (something like)
, "Kill Me. Let me Die."  ...over and over again.

The song details what the feelings of the man was.  A living hell, trapped in a functionless body.   Its the very song that got me into Metallica in the first place.   I suggest you read the lyrics, while listening to it.   Its very powerful and emotional... and IMO,  no other form of music could represent that in such a level of truth.

The song was based on the book,  Johnny Got His Gun.  An Anti-War novel written in 1938 by American novelist and screenwriter Dalton Trumbo[2] and published September 1939 by J. B. Lippincott. The novel won one of the early National Book Awards: the Most Original Book of 1939.

But lets really put you in your place...

Megadeth.

The title throws off Ignorant people all the time.    Im sure you think they sing songs about inciting violence and about actually them killing other people right?  Wrong again.

The bands title, is a word for a Unit of deaths resulting from Nuclear bombs.   

Of which they are against, and Dave Mustaine  sings so in "Rust in Peace... Polaris".  (Polaris" referring to Lockheed's Cold War Polaris missile)

"Holy Wars... The Punishment Due",  well,  I think this one is Obvious..  but yeah, its about Religion, and mans use of Religion to justify killings in the name of their God.

"Countdown to Extinction"   ... You guessed it.  Man hunting and destroying all the remaining animals on it.

"Sweating Bullets"  -  A song about schizophrenia.

"Train of Consequences" - About the destructive habit of gambling

Furthermore, the musical complexity in Megadeths albums, especially in Rust in Piece, is mind blowing.
A couple of Daves members have deep experience with playing Jazz.  Some learned and hung out with Jazz legends frequently.   

These guys are Extremely talented, and could pretty much play any kind of music.

And Marty Freidman?   Sadly, he eventually left MD.  His solos are to die for.  Unlike Metalicas Kirk.. whos solos
are kind of ugly..   Freidmans are like ear candy.  You just cant get enough of the sweet sound.  Its not just jibberish speed notes...  He has a bluesy style about his playing.  Its very emotionally impacting.  Something that sadly, the newest  guitarists lacks.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 07:59:00 am »
Dude.. you just wasted an hour of your life writing the above diatribe in defense of a band of crybabies...

Like they need it...

If that ain't mindless...what is? 

You are wasting your time trying to convince me of their merit...

I do actually like Megadeth however.. if not for the music for the fact that the crybabies kicked Dave Mustaine out of their knitting circle and he started his own, better one, in spite of them.

'This music sucks that music is good' debate is one for the 'Everything Else' Forum.

bearzilla333

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 01:51:20 pm
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:26 am »
Love the idea of this! Would be nice to see the other thrash bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Overkill, Testament or hell any cool band have real tables as well  :applaud:
Shall we play a game? My Project

http://goo.gl/kfyfNu

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 10:29:26 pm »
five words:

metal
up
your