Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 23" Gateway All-in-1 Touch PC, Splashtop & D2 Pad Android Tablet = My Juke  (Read 47478 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
My man cave (wife cave...soon to be baby cave) is done and I love it.
Pictures posted HERE! somewhere in the projects thread.
http://imgur.com/a/i4WD2#0

I've never stopped wanting a Jukebox, or some cool way of showcasing/displaying/playing my music. The old me (with infinate space) wanted a traditional jukebox, then a touchscreen custom jukebox (for which I purchased 4 touchscreens). HOWEVER....... the space is done, space is limited, and really I can't fit anymore items!

I've never stopped loving Uncle T's Jukebox program, I know it isn't readily available, but I still have it configured on a PC with a custom skin I had created.

This got me to thinking (the point of this thread, sorry for the ramble) ......................

- Could I use a program like Uncle T's jukebox on a tablet ?The program itself is touchscreen friendly, and even if it wasn't it should work.

- With the Wi-Fi on the tablet the program should be able to access my content stored on a different PC. I can't see any reason why this would not be the case.

- Now I guess most important, or what I think would be super cool. Would I be able using Bluetooth to send the music to my existing audio system (should it be Bluetooth compatible) ?

As I said I've never given up on the dream of having something cool to gain access to my music.
I thought if this could work this could be really cool, and multi function. Watching my video collection on the tablet would be neat, not as great as on my big screen, but getting the audio to go from the tablet to my audio system would be amazing. I would still have that cool graphic element of a Jukebox that I love. But I'd be able to keep my music where it is, and enjoy the perks of wireless.

EDIT - I should add, please forgive the premature nature of the post. I'm sure lots of this info is available...I just haven't done my homework. As this idea came to me (@ work) I thought I'd post. I know portable Bluetooth speakers are available that work with iPhones. I just want something more grand, using my existing 5.1 set up. I have no issues replacing my audio receiver if needed.

EDIT - Changed title to reflect software change. I'm open to anything that works and looks good!

Thanks all
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:32:07 pm by mike boss »

Peja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2015, 04:48:22 pm
I think there are a few different types of receivers that should get you to do what you want.  While I don't have time to research all of them for you, I have always been partial to Onkyo.  Great features and quality for cheap prices.  A lot of the receivers are even coming with network connectivity.  So you could go through your network to play music that may be stored on a different computer.

Here is a cheap Onkyo home theater....there are many different models but this will just show you the features you are looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7-2-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2#productDescription

Here is an optional bluetooth receiver for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-UBT-1-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter/dp/B008CX2A2I

And here is a wireless lan for onkyo receivers:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-UWF-1-Wireless-LAN-Adapter/dp/B004WR125O

Onkyo app:  (not sure of all the features)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-remote/id417695144?mt=8

Now I would probably use the wireless lan card instead of the bluetooth as bluetooth is limited on distance while wireless doesn't usually have those limitations in a home enviroment. 

Remember, these are all just suggestions and I am not sure if that receiver will accept the adapters so do your due diligence and find out which model of receivers those work with.  After that, you should be good. 

Not sure if this exactly what you are looking for but should get you started.

Good Luck.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I appreciate the info. I actually just got home and I'm in homework mode.
Something dawned on me however............can't believe I overlooked it.............but tablets (unless a Windows tablet I'm guessing) use specific software.
Be it Apple for iPads, or Android for others. So Uncle T's program being a Windows application wouldn't work.

Tons of options for getting the audio to my AV set up (and cheap also!) :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Wireless+Stereo+Bluetooth+Audio+Receiver+For+iPod+iPhone+MP3+MP4+PC+Music+Player&_sacat=0&_from=R40
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:01:30 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
A quick search of the Android.com site reveals nothing with "JUKEBOX" found.
Blackberry has some apps that require some other software to be installed, but no screen shots.
Part of the major appeal of Uncle T's (for me), and I'm sure this could be true of many other programs was (A) The cover art and (B) the ability to see the entire album contents and easily select your tracks.

I loved scrolling over to my Jay Z section, having "X" many albums on screen at the one time, seeing all the song titles, click click click...........DONE!
I want this usability.

Peja

• Offline Offline
I appreciate the info. I actually just got home and I'm in homework mode.
Something dawned on me however............can't believe I overlooked it.............but tablets (unless a Windows tablet I'm guessing) use specific software.
Be it Apple for iPads, or Android for others. So Uncle T's program being a Windows application wouldn't work.

Tons of options for getting the audio to my AV set up (and cheap also!) :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Wireless+Stereo+Bluetooth+Audio+Receiver+For+iPod+iPhone+MP3+MP4+PC+Music+Player&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Good to see you are finding stuff.  Remember, iPad bluetooth distances are about 30ft.  I'm not an apple guy but is there an app that emulates windows programs like there is on the mac desktop/macbook?  Not sure if the mobile OS allows for stuff like that. 

You have a great setup in your basement.  I'm definitely jealous.  With all of that nice equipment, how about putting together a cheap media server computer and use a program like logmein to control the music?  That way you can still use the Uncle T on your ipad.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thank you for the info.

I'm open to options. When I did my set up I connected an extra HDMI wire on the equipment side (one side AV equipment, the other side Video Game consoles), it was for my laptop.  I have a rather nice HP Entertainment Series laptop with HDMI out, and was using XBMC. I found I had issues with XBMC showing items in my library that I didn't actually have. It was a real P.I.T.A !

I picked up a Rocketfish "smart wire" connection kit (which I love), I installed "Samsung All Share" on my PC and now I can stream my data through my XBOX 360 and Bluray player. BUT ..........even with all this I'm so "hooked" on the idea of picking up a tablet, seeing this really cool screen with album art, selecting my playlist and streaming through my system.

The challenge.........and the homework continue !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Here is the project I abandoned, you will see the custom skin I had created for Uncle T's jukebox.

http://www.thebossbox.blogspot.ca/

egosbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2014, 12:26:20 am
easy solution i think , use your existing computer and use logmein remote software to link your computer to your tablet  , its how i control my juke when im outside in the bbq area its the best juke remote on the market lol  , it just remotely controls your computer

depending on how hard and loud you listen to your music use an amp to suit , i chose an emotiva amp , excellent for the price , i spent a lot more on my speakers which is where you should spend i think double what your amp costs at least but it depends on your listening tastes

or just use active speakers
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:55:33 am by egosbar »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.......and keep it coming !
I'm really looking to make this project work.
I have some extra PayPal funds from doing layouts and rather than buy sneakers (cause lord knows I need no more sneakers........my wife would agree!) I thought I could work on this.

For myself this is something I feel I mostly want to utilize in my downstaris space, so the limitations of Bluetooth dont matter in this instance. Infact for $10/15 to purchase the Bluetooth receiver I wouldn't mind even getting a second for outdoors. I do have a couple of wireless outdoor speakers that operate the same way a cordless phone would. ANYWAY.........

I think where I am most stuck is the cosmetics. I really want this to look cool. I'll look more into "logmein" tonight when I get home. If I could use something like that was an inexpensive tablet that would be aces! However, as I said I'm stuck on cosmetics. What I loved with Uncle T's (and I'm sure it rings true of many other programs) was that you see your CD cover art on the left, then on the right the contents of the album. So easy to select your tunes and go! I want the same usability and something that has the same cosmetic feel.

EDIT - I should add, I use MP3Gain (which I love) as a means to normalize all my audio files. Helps with the volume issues you might have with various MP3's from various sources.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:30:39 am by mike boss »

Peja

• Offline Offline
Just a quick run down of logmein if you haven't used it before.  It is super simple to install and has a nice interface.  I am an IT guy for my company and use it everyday to log into various sites.  It is free for the home pc (unless you want the paid version that you can transfer files, print, hear the audio etc) but you shouldn't need that.  There is a small cost, I think $30 or so for the ipad/android version. 

When you log in to your remote computer from your ipad it will have your tool bar along the top and on the sides, however, if you hit the maximize button your whole ipad screen will mirror your pc screen so your uncle T juke interface will look exactly how it would on your pc. 

Hope this helps....if you have any questions about logmein, let me know.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Peja

Thank you.
That sounds like it is indeed what I'd like/need.
I should add I'm open to any great software (for the Jukebox) if anyone has one they would like to suggest.

This sounds really cool. I think I'll move forward and order  the BlueTooth receiver tonight when I get in. Not to mention start looking for a tablet.

"Logmein" should work with a Blackberry Playbook ? (the free version)

EDIT - Stupid question/ I'm leaning toward a Playbook really just based on the price. I need to install "logmein" on both the tablet and PC ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:59:14 am by mike boss »

Peja

• Offline Offline
From what I can gather from reading this post is that they currently only support android/iOS tablets. 
 http://community.logmein.com/t5/Ignition/Blackberry-Playbook-Support/td-p/60510/page/6

But people have used their playbook and blackberry phone in sync to get it to work. 

If you went the logmein route, you will put the free version on your media pc.  On your tablet, you would install logmein ignition on the tablet.  Ignition is the name of the android/iOS version of logmein.  This has a cost of $30. 

Do you have a tablet as of yet?  If you are leaning towards a playbook based on price and the 7" version, I would wait to see what the next generation Nexus 7 has to offer when google announces it in their I/O conference in the middle of May.  They are usually around the $199 price as well and has more of a community support for apps.  But if you are sold on the playbook, it may make things a bit more difficult for you. 

As for installing on both computers....its a yes and no answer.  When working with just pc's, you only install the logmein software on the computer you want to control.  In your case it would be your juke pc.  Now usually, you would just go to the logmein website, sign in, and control that computer from your browser, so you don't install anything on the computer you are controlling from.  But with the mobile version, they charge for it, so yes you would have to install the app on your android or iOS system.  One time fee of $30. 

As for other juke programs, egosbar and I are messing around with touchjams right now and also etouch is a good program.  I haven't tried every juke program on the net, but these 2 seem to be the best I can find right now. 

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I would just wait on ordering the bluetooth receiver as of right now because the tablet you buy may not even use bluetooth....so just wait until you decide on a tablet.  Preferably one that is compatible with logmein, if that is the route you think you want to go.

Here is a picture of my desktop at home as I am dialed into the computer from work.  As you can see, the only thing on my screen is the full screen mode of my home desktop.  The thin grey line at the top, is a drop down menu that allows for functions such as , minimize, ctl alt del, lock keyboard, blank screen, etc.  So if you have your juke program running in full screen mode, and then have your logmein running in fullscreen mode through the tablet, all you will see is the juke interface which is what I think you are going for. 

You are also allowed 10 free accounts through Logmein, used to be more but they are putting the kabosh on that.  So if you have other computers around your house, you can control them all through your tablet.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
From what I can gather from reading this post is that they currently only support android/iOS tablets. 
 http://community.logmein.com/t5/Ignition/Blackberry-Playbook-Support/td-p/60510/page/6

--- Awesome I will read this now !

But people have used their playbook and blackberry phone in sync to get it to work. 

If you went the logmein route, you will put the free version on your media pc.  On your tablet, you would install logmein ignition on the tablet.  Ignition is the name of the android/iOS version of logmein.  This has a cost of $30. 

-- $30 aint so bad if it does what I want. I'd gladly pay the money.

Do you have a tablet as of yet?  If you are leaning towards a playbook based on price and the 7" version, I would wait to see what the next generation Nexus 7 has to offer when google announces it in their I/O conference in the middle of May.  They are usually around the $199 price as well and has more of a community support for apps.  But if you are sold on the playbook, it may make things a bit more difficult for you. 

-- No tablet yet, as I said price was the main motivation, but I'm open. If Android is the way to go, that is the route I'd take.

As for installing on both computers....its a yes and no answer.  When working with just pc's, you only install the logmein software on the computer you want to control.  In your case it would be your juke pc.  Now usually, you would just go to the logmein website, sign in, and control that computer from your browser, so you don't install anything on the computer you are controlling from.  But with the mobile version, they charge for it, so yes you would have to install the app on your android or iOS system.  One time fee of $30. 

As for other juke programs, egosbar and I are messing around with touchjams right now and also etouch is a good program.  I haven't tried every juke program on the net, but these 2 seem to be the best I can find right now. 

-- I'm going to look into these tonight, again I thank you. Your info and advice have been awesome !

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I would just wait on ordering the bluetooth receiver as of right now because the tablet you buy may not even use bluetooth....so just wait until you decide on a tablet.  Preferably one that is compatible with logmein, if that is the route you think you want to go.

Here is a picture of my desktop at home as I am dialed into the computer from work.  As you can see, the only thing on my screen is the full screen mode of my home desktop.  The thin grey line at the top, is a drop down menu that allows for functions such as , minimize, ctl alt del, lock keyboard, blank screen, etc.  So if you have your juke program running in full screen mode, and then have your logmein running in fullscreen mode through the tablet, all you will see is the juke interface which is what I think you are going for. 

You are also allowed 10 free accounts through Logmein, used to be more but they are putting the kabosh on that.  So if you have other computers around your house, you can control them all through your tablet.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm looking forward to going home and checking out the above mentioned programs.
I like doing homework like this.
BTW if anyone has a video of a set up like what is mentioned I'd love to see.

The man cave is always changing, things come in, things go out....... well they dont go out !
Things come in ! But this would be one HELLA cool project.

Really wanna make this a reality.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
You have plenty of space for a jukebox in that coffee table, Mike!  ;)

I think Peja's solution would likely work best, put together a headless unit in a small form factor case, you can park it in the cabinet right next to your audio gear, direct line out into your amp, no bluetooth necessary.

Then remote into it via Logmein, or VNC or whatever from your tablet. Set the resolution on the box to match your tablet and you can get things setup as close as possible without having to do it all through your tablet.

You might want video out if you want to "see" the ui on that tv, or if you want to see slideshows or visualizations while your music plays, but that's a different issue.

Peja

• Offline Offline
drventure has a great idea as well.  Instead of logmein, you could possibly use vnc as well.  Looks like that program might be free and you would just use the vnc client instead of having to login to a website.  I haven't used vnc in ages and don't even know about the tablet app but I do see there is one.  You can always try that one first and go from there.

I agree with what he said, make it a nice home theater pc case and hook it directly into your amp.  Depending on your amp, some like the onkyo I posted even have apps for them, which I think you may be able to control the inputs on it.  So if your amp was set on game or cable, but you wanted it to go to music, you could switch it all from the tablet, without having to get up out of your chair.

To be honest, once I get my juke and everything up and running, I will look at the newer generations of tablets and probably do something along the lines of what you are doing.  My amp and computer will be in the basement but I would like to control it from outside or upstairs with speakers going throughout the house. 

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Uncle T's jukebox is wrote in Visual Basic 6 (as im are aware of), so no, its will never work on iPad or ported to that, its require to been reprogrammed from scrath. Howover the could old plugin system could remote the thing, but im have no plans to do that. Alternative you could require using a VPN for it, so you could control a Windows machine using iPad. Here Uncle T's Jukebox might works quite nice, due its not very much heach directX based (unlike my own).
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So many great options, so much info to process.
The above posted blog of a project long long ago is dead.
I've actually thrown out the gutted stereo and I'm still trying locally to dump the ELO touchscreens (well sell, not dump!).
Prior I had wanted to build a HTPC for streaming, and using for XBMC. The shelving unit could actually accommodate such a build, however I went for what I thought was a better, easier solution and  the SMART WIRE connection. Off topic (sorta), but locally I have a source the does "console alterations" and with the passing of Bill C11 (this could be Canada specific) it made illegal the breaking of digital locks. These guys stopped doing such "alterations." Even myself my downloading has been reduced drastically.

My existing set up at home consists of one main PC, often where I would put the music on, use MP3 gain, fix any titles, add art, etc then move to an external HDD.
The drive was going to be used in connection with another PC, the sold purpose of which was to use with Uncle T's. I actually have this PC set up, configured, and stored as the project never saw the light. I did however keep the music collection on my main PC, the external HDD, and I picked up (and love) a Western Digital "My Book" with the "auto back up." I love this, I've mirrored my Jukebox HDD on this WD drive, and every time I add a file,album,new art, whatever it is automatically stored on the WD HDD.  I still need to move it to the Jukebox HDD, but I'm ok with that. I had always envisioned a drive I could move around or bring where needed.

I like the idea as mentioned by drventure also, but I think a simple tablet solution and Bluetooth would be good as my receiver is older, Technics SADX 940.
If possible I'd like to keep using it and not upgrade until I really must !

For some reason I'm so stuck on the "Wow factor" (Storage Wars ripoff!) of having this Bluetooth connectivity and visual awe of running this off a tablet.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I should add, locally at this outlet type store you can get a Andriod tablet cheap :

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Categories/30/Tablets___E-Readers/Android_Tablets

I'd like to keep my equipment where it is, but perhaps I could hide something somewhere.
My man cave is in the basement (as pictured in the link above) and my main PC upstairs in the home office.
The bulk of the music collection is kept upstairs. That was the huge plus (should it have worked), was keeping the PC as is, allowing the tablet to see the PC, call on the program/media then the tablet send it out via Bluetooth.

Perhaps I need to look more into the VPN stuff. Perhaps I can find a solution where things remain where they are.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
@ Peja

Thank you.
That sounds like it is indeed what I'd like/need.
I should add I'm open to any great software (for the Jukebox) if anyone has one they would like to suggest.

This sounds really cool. I think I'll move forward and order  the BlueTooth receiver tonight when I get in. Not to mention start looking for a tablet.

"Logmein" should work with a Blackberry Playbook ? (the free version)

EDIT - Stupid question/ I'm leaning toward a Playbook really just based on the price. I need to install "logmein" on both the tablet and PC ?

try touchjams it has a seven day full trial period , i really want this program to continue developing because i believe it to be the best on the market , so more buyers more improvements

drventure

• Offline Offline
but I think a simple tablet solution and Bluetooth would be good as my receiver is older, Technics SADX 940.

Not sure I follow. Just about every mobo out now has line audio out, and with a 3.5mm to rca jack cable, you can connect the PC directly to an audio amp. no bluetooth required.

Again, we're talking about the tablet "controlling" the jukebox software that actually +runs+ on a normal PC somewhere. The juke software is +not+ actually running on your tablet, so there's no need to stream any audio from the tablet to your home audio system. Besides, a wired connection from PC to amp will sound way better, that's virtually guaranteed.

egosbar

• Offline Offline
also i used to use mp3 gain but have gone to media monkey for tagging my music , very easy and very very good and free too

mike boss

• Offline Offline
but I think a simple tablet solution and Bluetooth would be good as my receiver is older, Technics SADX 940.

Not sure I follow. Just about every mobo out now has line audio out, and with a 3.5mm to rca jack cable, you can connect the PC directly to an audio amp. no bluetooth required.

Again, we're talking about the tablet "controlling" the jukebox software that actually +runs+ on a normal PC somewhere. The juke software is +not+ actually running on your tablet, so there's no need to stream any audio from the tablet to your home audio system. Besides, a wired connection from PC to amp will sound way better, that's virtually guaranteed.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. I've used quite often for various projects I've done a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to hook up items to audio receivers. In fact in my house at this very time I have such a connection upstairs on my main floor for my old MP3 player using an existing All in One Audio system I have. The same type of connection is also used in my man cave connected to an iPod dock.

So I fully understand what  your talking about, it's just that I'd rather not hook up a PC downstairs (if I can avoid it).

But you know what, reading this over I fully get what your saying drventure. It took me a bit (I'm slow)..... the software is on the PC, the tablet just controls the PC. My upstairs PC doesn't have Bluetooth! I wonder if two receivers would be an option ?

Again so much to take in.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
I found AlbumPlayer to be the best juke software I could find for the PC. It's definitely the most aesthetically appealing and there are several skins including a couple that are touch screen specific. I've since abandoned storing music altogether and gone the streaming route but I really liked AP when I used it and can highly recommend it. http://www.albumplayer.com
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

drventure

• Offline Offline
I see what you're saying about streaming now, you already have a pc, it's just not downstairs. No worries, in that case a BT pair would probably work decently (or just a loooong audio cord and a few holes  :)

+1 on album player. Really nice skins and works very well with a touchscreen. I use it in my Antigue radio juke.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Cool ! A pair of Bluetooth adapter is cheap, like $20 !
So I'll do my homework to make sure two would work.
Then its just a matter (I guess) of finding a good VNC option (free would work!) and a tablet that would work with it.
I'm open to any good looking Jukebox program, again won't complain with FREE !

drventure

• Offline Offline
The mediaMonkey website seemed to imply you can build touchscreen friendly skins for it, but I didn't see any.

AlbumPlayer is definitely targeted to touchscreens.

I've used JRiver MediaCenter for years, but it most certainly DOES NOT work with touchscreens too well. Home theater remotes, it's great with, but not touchscreens.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Soooo........ as I do some homework on this, this is where I'm at.

I'm looking on eBay for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver.
My PC is Windows Vista and not Bluetooth, so I need to be able to send the audio to destination "X."
With that said I need the receiver, that is easy to find. Tons of receiver options online.

I'm thinking I'll stick with Uncle T's jukebox. I like it and I've gotten a ton better with Photoshop since I originally skinned it prior.
I think graphically I can produce a nice looking skin !

So now to do more homework on (A) what kind of tablet to get (B) and what to use to make sure the tablet can control the PC.

mike boss

• Offline Offline

egosbar

• Offline Offline
Soooo........ as I do some homework on this, this is where I'm at.

I'm looking on eBay for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver.
My PC is Windows Vista and not Bluetooth, so I need to be able to send the audio to destination "X."
With that said I need the receiver, that is easy to find. Tons of receiver options online.

I'm thinking I'll stick with Uncle T's jukebox. I like it and I've gotten a ton better with Photoshop since I originally skinned it prior.
I think graphically I can produce a nice looking skin !

So now to do more homework on (A) what kind of tablet to get (B) and what to use to make sure the tablet can control the PC.

can you do a nice square and rectange chrome button with photoshop  that i can use on touchjams skin

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I can probably help you out with a button.
Email me at vibefx@gmail.com .
I'll see how I can help.

Now off to do more homework............ well work, I'm @ work now.

Thanks again all.

I have a lot of info and research to do. Trying to find the most simple solution to get the outcome I want. There is a part of me now that thinks it may just be better to use one of the existing PC's I have and see if I can hide it.

Not sure if its in the pictures of my "Man Cave" but on the AV side I have my DVD collection stored in binders on the bottom shelf. Each binder is like 400 + DVD's. Anyway...if I can fit a PC behind  that, keep it out of site that could be an idea. I have the "Powerline" hooked up, so I would have the network interaction. I can then as drventure said easily wire the audio right into my existing audio. Then I would not need a tablet with Bluetooth.

I'll need to mess around more at home.

EDIT - TabTunez will come in 2014! I know this !
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:55:02 am by mike boss »

Peja

• Offline Offline
Personally I would buy a home theater pc case that looks sexy and show it off on the shelves.  I would also hook it up to the tv as a secondary monitor.  That way when people ask what that thing is, you can tell them its your pc hooked up to the tv/tablet and get that wow factor. 

Tons of good looking cases, some smaller than the xbox.  You could easily sit it on top or underneath of the dvd/bluray player in that picture.   

Check out this link......computer cases have come a long way and now a lot of them look like they belong on an a/v rack...which they do. http://www.newegg.com/HTPC-Media-Center-Cases/SubCategory/ID-690

Peja

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks for posting the link, I'll take a look when I get in tonight.
With a HTPC case do you need "special" parts, or would they still be your standard PC part ?
It's no doubt an interesting route to take.

I'd love to get this project done for under $300 if I could, that would be ideal.

I'm hoping that Uncle T's software responds well through the tablet. I know the software itself is touchscreen friendly, but a small, widescreen format might not work that well. However I could always use a stylus perhaps ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Peja

• Offline Offline
No a HTPC case is just like a normal case but usually smaller.  So a smaller form factor motherboard and cards are usually needed.  However, some of the HTPC are still good looking and can accommodate the bigger ATX boards.  If you are going with your previous computer's internal parts, you will need to figure out which size mobo you have and go from there.  Newegg's links on the left hand side will all you to sort by atx, micro-atx etc etc.   

You should have no problem finding a case that will fit your current parts.  The only thing I would maybe recommend is upgrading your sound card if it is just an older pc onboard card.  You will get better clarity out of it if audio quality is really important to you.  Especially if your amp and speakers are quality. 

But I don't see any reason why you couldn't get it done for under 300.  A lot of those cases are under 100 and that leaves you will 200 for a tablet.  And with the newer nexus 7 tablets going to be priced around 199, you should be good.  At least thats what the first generation were priced at.  I think Staples carries the original nexus 7 so go play around with it and see if you like it.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Im in Canada, just east of Toronto, Ajax actually.
But most of the Big Box stores exist here, Futureshop, Best Buy, Staples, Source, etc.
I'm super excited for this, I think this could be really cool.

Again I thank you guys for the info, some great advice.
Actully drV, your info is starting to seem the best.
Housing the PC in the basement I can probably use a less expesnive tablet (w/o Bluetooth) and just use my existing Wi-Fi. Using the "Powerline" I can hard wire the PC which would give a better, faster connection to the upstairs PC where the music is. (Pending size of the PC I could possibly keep the music downstairs..this all remains to be seen)

I guess one of the only things I'll need to be really aware of is the tablet and can I get a VNC program ?

Only other thing, and could be minor, but how will Uncle T's look  widscreen, and how will it function on a small screen ? But I'm really at this point sold on good ol Uncle T's. Using it prior I like how it works, it's free, and when it was last updated supported a ton of formats.
I'm confident I can do an awesome skin.

drventure

• Offline Offline
I don't know anything about UncleT Juke, but I'd imagine that if you can skin it to a specific resolution, then it'd be trivial to construct a skin that will have buttons appropriately sized for your Tablet. You might not get all the buttons available on the skin, but surely everything that'd be necessary would fit. Looking forward to your progress on this, as I've been contemplating a similar setup.

Oh hell. Just checked and there's at least a half dozen VNC clients for Windows Phone 7/8 (I've got an older HTC7 but it's been a great phone).

That idea might be closer than I was thinking.....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:52:41 pm by drventure »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm excited to keep working on this, forming ideas, and finalizing a concept/direction to go.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
My brain isn't working right now. Creative juices not flowing.
I don't know (and for some reason can't find my EXE file for Uncle T's) if the skin could be customized to a certain resolution. Off memory I'd say no, it couldn't be.
I created a skin before with a textured background that featured a gradient fade to white, this way the buttons appear border less. For some reason I like the look with no border. You can see in the sample I've attached. For version 2.0 I'm toying with a textured background of "brushed steel" , however in this case the buttons will have the border look. So it's really finding colors that work, etc.

I don't wanna ramble but I'd like to make a nice clean layout. I just started to mess around, I'm sure this will take on many lives.

Image 1  - original layout
Image 2 - new layout

I'm toying with the name "Tab Touch" or "Soundwave" using a stylized A & V (play symbol) and doing a stylized E using the shuffle symbol.
Anyway more to come !
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:34:59 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Homework and research will continue when I get home tonight.
I'll be getting Uncle T's installed tonight also, and possibly "fresh eyes" will help me to create a kick azz skin !

Soooo..... In general...........

VPN would be a better route to take than LOGMEIN ?

As far as tablets go, ANDRIOD vs. BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK vs. iPAD ?
ANDROID - decent support, cheap in cost, should work well with windows ?

Wi-Fi vs. BLUETOOTH
(now I know this depends on the equipemnt)
WI-FI - allows me to use existing equipment, and for the most part a less expensive tablet.
(as the tablet wont need to have BLUETOOTH)

Lastly the PC.
I'm leaning towards XP as the operating system, I know the Uncle T's works with XP.
I'm not sure if it would be supported on a newer OS.
Seems the best thing I can do is have the PC on site (IE - in the Man Cave!)
Would allow for a direct connection into my existing audio set up, and even allow me to stream videos and play on my TV.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:11:34 pm by mike boss »

Peja

• Offline Offline
Well if it was me.......I would go with an android tablet using vnc to control the PC.  Since we KNOW logmein will work, try the various free vnc programs before you buy something.  You may get what you are looking for right away.  I would stay away from playbook for now.  I know RIM is making a small come back but compared to android, the support just isn't there.  I used to be a blackberry guy and sometimes miss it but am android for now and will continue in the near future.  Also, I know you are set on using Uncle T's program so hopefully you can make a decent looking skin.  The background and layout isn't bad but the buttons on it look very windows-ish.  I much prefer touchjams or etouch, but that is just my preference.

XP should be fine for your set up.

My setup WILL be the following as soon as I get my juke up and running:

HTPC in a closet which will have a usb/dvi cable to 24" or 27" touchscreen monitor.  Hooked up to hdmi on that monitor will be a wireless hdmi receiver that will also be hooked up to my upstairs receiver.  That way I can watch tv on my monitor when not in juke mode.  I have used the actiontec wireless hdmi kit and it works great.  1080p with no problems.  Amp in closet will also run all the speakers throughout the house, garage, outside.

Also I will have a tablet being able to control the HTPC for when I am upstairs or outside.  All of this will be through the wireless modem.  No need for bluetooth as it just costs more money and has limitations.  Although I will probably end up using logmein for my tablet just because I will use it for work as well.  If I didn't use it for work, I would probably use a vnc solution. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Peja

Again many thanks ! I cant wait to make this project a reality.
BTW your project sounds kick azz!
I agree that some things about UT's Juke look perhaps "dated" , but overall for a free program it really is aweomse. When I used it on my other PC I liked to keep it on the album page, so you see all your CD covers. I never really stayed on the page with the visulizations.

One of the biggest things (from a design point) is some of the cosmetics.
I spent a great deal of time looking for fonts and symbol based fonts so I could give a more polished look. Uncle T's lets you enter your text, then your text color, and background color.
What I try to do is select a background color that matches the background, giving the effect that the button floats if you will on the page.

Anyway I need to come up with a concept and direction, once I start messing around it will become more clear what I can/cant do.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Still a long, long, long journey ahead to wrap up the skin.
I installed Uncle T's on my vista PC today, but it's not working.
Tomorrow I'll need to install it on one of my XP PC's.

Anyway I've worked on a background. I'm not  thrilled with it, but it will give me the white bottom I want.
I think it could look good when all is done.
I'm still on the guest for some cool fonts.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Skin is still a W.I.P , perhaps today more time will be spent working on it. (Depends what the wife has planned for me !  :'( )
I can get this PC for $60 :
 http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-Dell-Mini-Comouter-2-80Ghz-2GB-RAM-DVD-Keyboard-Mice-W0QQAdIdZ474193590

I have a bunch of PC's here....I'm sure some of you would laugh if I sent you a picture of my closet (others live in the same reality), however sometimes I just like to start fresh....well USED fresh ! Anyway the above PC, more compact $60.

Locally I'm trying to find a tablet, want to do this on a budget as said, but part of me would like a nice 10" bad boy.
Tablets are pretty new, I guess I wouldn't find a 4x3 aspect ratio tablet would I ?

Locally we have an outlet type store, Factorydirect.ca, they have  tons of options for Android tablets under $60, however stock quantity is always the issue.

There is the huge part of me that just wants to get the stuff now and work on getting it working as I go, IE - not have all the answers.
For example I have no clue which VPN product to use, but I'm sure I'd figure it out.

EDIT - Ended up just ordering the 9" tablet. Let the motivation to complete the project begin ! I'll pick up a 32GN MicroSD at a later time, taking full advantage of the tablet.

EDIT - I can get the first tablet (9") for $115 shipped to my local store. I know very little about these things. Anybody have any advice on it. I ask because I'll only get a store credit should I have issues.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:39:16 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Soooo.............I went with this, $115 shipped for local pick up.
I can pick it up on my way home from work.
I think this will be sufficient, and I'll upgrade the memory later.
Really above the jukebox project and perhaps the odd surfing of the net, and occasional video from VEVO I don't think I'll use it much.
I'm hoping you guys wont say I made a mistake on it !
I don't know much about tablets, but all I  really want is that I can find a good VPN program and this controls the jukebox !
I'm excited to Rock n' Roll !

D2pad 9" 4Gb 1.0Ghz Android 4.1 Tablet (Black)
$115 shipped to local store for pick up

Detail Specifications:
D2pad 9" 4Gb 1.0Ghz Android 4.1 Tablet - Black.

General Features:
-9" capacitive LCD touchscreen.
-800 x 480 WVGA resolution.
-Android OS 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
-1.0 GHz processor.
-512 MB DDR3 RAM.
-4 GB flash memory.
-Built-in 0.3 MP front-facing camera.
-microSD/microSDHC card slot (supports up to 32 GB).
-USB 2.0 interface.
-Integrated IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN.
-Built-in speaker and microphone.
-G-sensor function provides orientation sensing.
-Built-in rechargeable Lithium battery.
-Ports: Microphone, 3.5 mm earphone jack, Reset hole, Mini USB port, Power DC input MicroSD card slot, Speaker.
-Power Specifications: DC 5V
-Unit Dimensions: 9.33 x 5.55 x 0.48-inches (H x W x D, approximate).
-Weight: 1.7 lbs (332 g).

-- EDIT --  I tried posting the link, but every time it shows me as logged in, and purchase history was available. I had to remove the link and just post the specs.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:46:44 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I've worked a little more on the skin.
I'm starting to like it, not LOVE it, but like it.
I'm working within the limitations, be it transparency issues, the inability to replace buttons, etc.

I love this program, I think for free it's AMAZING.
I wish it were widescreen, but it is what it is.
Sadly I don't have the skill set to create my own software so I'll live with the issues I can't resolve.

Anyway here is a sample.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Hoping that my tablet comes in this week.
My wife reminds me that I'll have less and less time for projects when the baby comes.
She doesn't even know about the tablet purchase and "Jukebox dream!."

Soon the man cave will be man, wife, and child (late July).
I'm reminded  that I need to finish all projects prior to baby time.
Two arcade games reside outside that I need to wrap up, custom made sign needs to be painted, and now this ! I look at it and say, "Don't kids sleep a ton?"
Having a kid is a great reason to stay home, home is where the heart PROJECT is !

Anyway I'll be here asking for help guys as this project goes forward !
Tablet should be in this week.
The search for apps will begin then.
Skin is still a W.I.P .

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I get my tablet Thursday ! Sweet !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Got the tablet, neat.
Been such a busy week I've done so little with it.
Hoping to take the weekend to dig a lil deeper.
If anyone has any suggestions for Android please let me know.

Thanks

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Going to give Team Viewer a go.
Watched an in depth video on You Tube, looks good and easy enough.
The tablet itself is not bad, I've been playing with it tonight.
Not super Hi-Res or anything, but for $100 seems not bad (to me).

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Ok, so here is where I'm at, thought I'd post the progress (all be it minimal).
Installed Team Viewer on my tablet and on my Vista PC.
Simple as heck to use, works easily !

Now a few things I noticed :

• PC resolution is 1440 x 900 ( tablet 800 x 480 WVGA resolution)
    - Hard to see stuff on the PC with the resolution set as it is.
    - Hoping that when I text with the XP PC @ 1024 x 768 the issue isn't so bad.
    I cant just point to an area on my screen, I need to use my finger to drag the mouse cursor.

I have an old PC with Uncle T's installed, I need to find this, dig it out, install Team Viewer on it and give it a go.
I have the old ELO touch screen drivers installed on the old XP PC. I'm hoping that with Uncle T's being a touchscreen friendly program that I can simply touch the desired area on screen. I also noticed that when using the tablet and Vista PC I tired to access and play a video, the video on the tablet played very slow and choppy. Don't know if that issue can be resolved. Not going to sweat that !

Key things I want to look for :

Resolution issues, displaying 1024 x 768 on the 800 x 480 screen.
Improved results when streaming.
Ability to touch desired area on screen.

drventure

• Offline Offline
Any chance of setting your PC to display 800x480? if it's headless, so what, the only thing that'll be showing the screen is the tablet, and it can't show any higher res, so why bother with a higher res on the PC?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Any chance of setting your PC to display 800x480? if it's headless, so what, the only thing that'll be showing the screen is the tablet, and it can't show any higher res, so why bother with a higher res on the PC?

Right now I'm just testing things and messing around.
I wanted to get a feel for things, and see how things will look, etc.
In reality I have no desire to stream from my Vista PC to tablet, or control it really.
I was just anxious to mess around seeing as I had downloaded Team Viewer.
When I do dig out the XP PC I will try to lower the resolution.

Thumbs up for Team Viewer BTW - really simple !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
With prepearation for our first child taking over our lives I've had very little time for the project.
However I'm happy to report that by the end of this weekend I'd suspect my childs room to be completed, and after my 4 year anniversary next weekend I "SHOULD" get me time.

For now the idea still lives on. Tablet is good, resolution...MEH! But speed, etc, I'm happy.
PC still needs to be pulled out of storage and a new clean skin still needs to be completed.

The hope now is that the tablet can control the PC easily and that some of the touch functions work as they would on a touch screen. As I said when testing with my Vista PC I had to use my finger to drag the mouse pointer.

I'll be sure to post progress and pics as I go.

Any and all ideas/advice/thoughts on the project all welcome.

I love the input

Thanks all

philharris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2019, 11:17:42 am
Am pretty late to this discussion, but have you thought about XBMC? You could set it up like this:

PC runs xbmc, is wired to speaker system and holds audio.
Tablet runs xbmc remote, allowing you to control xbmc on the pc with a coverflow style interface. Tablet also then runs xbmc as well, so it can also act as a playback device.

You can also set up xbmc as an airplay target, so you can also send it stuff from apple devices (if you have any).

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ philharris

That is a good idea, XBMC, I had not thought of that.
My last dealings with XBMC were good, however XBMC was showing content in my library that wasn't actually on my network. Really bothered me.... but I'll gladly try agian.

I want something that looks slick and polished and will easily allow me to create a playlist.
One of the things I loved so much with Uncle T's (and I'm sure  rings true of various software) was that you dont need to go from folder to folder, right click, add to list, etc etc.

I'm not to much in the know when it comes to XBMC and how it deals with music. However I have used the XBMC remote apps on my iPhone (the only Apple device I own).

I'll have to give it a look tonight and see what I can find for my Android tablet.

Thanks

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ philharris

Thanks for the steer to XBMC.
I've just installed it on my tablet, booth XBMC and the remote.
Steaming from my PC via XBMC does lag, that I'm guessing is a product of a slow tablet ? (specs above)

I still need to test the remote aspect with XBMC which is on my laptop.

EDIT - having a hell of a time getting the XBMC remote app for android to work. I know I had issues with my iPhone that were easily  fixed with a trip to Google. For some reason the iPhone apps aren't working at this time, nor can I get the Android app to work.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:14:24 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
OK................XBMC is up and running on my tablet, as is the XBMC remote.

XBMC itself for music is very cool, looks good, plays smooth, no complaints.
I don't know how to add songs to a playlist, but I'm sure it can be done, more so my user issue when it comes to that.
For videos its SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW !
However my intention was never to stream videos onto the tablet.

XBMC remote is finally working. Works well, simple, easy.
I'd like to format my laptop and add the new build of XBMC onto the laptop, really get a feel for it.

All in all I like the look and feel and I'm happy it was suggested.
Good be a nice feature on the tablet.

As said before I'd like to still toy with Uncle T's, just gotta find the time.
I'm proud to report I'm going to be a dad soon (4 LONG years of trying!).......... and as of late baby stuff has consumed me.
But.........perhaps this weekend I'll get "Me" time.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Still messing around, working on this project.
Getting the tablet set up how I like it, apps that provide a cool multimedia experience.
It did dawn on me, XBMC remote app is great, but for that I have NO CHOICE but to hook up the PC to the TV/Audio system.
Easy for my laptop as I have a spare HDMI connection for that very purpose.

To beat a dead horse...............I still haven't pulled out the XP PC to do my testing. I'm telling myself I will this weekend.

I also need to install an app that will allow me to control my HD PVR............cool !

Peja

• Offline Offline
Don't have any advice for you but just wanted to tell you congratulations on being a dad soon!!  That's awesome!!

Peja

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks Peja !

I'm looking forward to it, it's been a heck of a journey for my wife and I.
For now I'm working on my time management, trying to find time for EVERYTHING!
Weekends are just go, go, go !

I have one arcade machine %90 done to wrap up, one complete resto to complete, and the juke. The PC part of which I still have not pulled from storage.

I'll say what I always say, "I hope to find time this weekend!"

As always I'll post the progress.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
As I posted in the above thread started by TheShaner :

I haven't played around much in the past few weeks, not even searching the app store for a suitable app.
XBMC remote app is great if I hook up my laptop (or any PC) to the TV.
It's cook to use this 10" tablet to control stuff, but it doesn't provide the graphic experience I want on the tablet itself.
Running XBMC on the tablet itself does however, but not being Bluetooth enabled I cant send the audio to my AV system so that sucks !
I'll keep you in the loop as I make progress. Id love to get the PC pulled out this weekend and do some testing.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So as the long weekend nears an end here in Canada I had four projects to do.
Two for me (Mike projects, non wife approved projects) and two house projects (wife approved).
Proud to say I did 1 and 1!

House project one was fix up outside ----- DONE !
Me project one was work on the juke project.

Happy to say I pulled the PC out of storage, got the ol' music hard drive out of retirement and installed Teamviewer on the XP PC.
So now for testing and results.

Uncle T's is set to 1024 x 768, Tablet is 800 x 480 WVGA resolution.
- so first things first, you need to scroll to navigate the screen. The images look good, nice and clear, but you need to navigate to see everything.

Response time
- sadly the biggest disappointment is that you simply cant touch anywhere on the screen and have it respond as a touchscreen. You need to drag the mouse cursor to the desired area and click, so you don't get that full touchscreen experience. Not only that it's a lil on the slow side. It lags transitioning from page to page.

I'll keep trying, looking for alternatives and solutions, but that is where it's at for now.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I wish a program for the Android existed that functioned as Uncle T's does.
I think it's so user friendly.
I'm not giving up......... I'll find a solution.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I've done minimal testing, haven't had the time.
I'd like to get around to this on the weekend.
I can't believe I can't find a nice suitable jukebox for android.
I'll need to snap a video of Uncle T's in use, it really is amazing.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Plan is get some testing done on the weekend.
See if perhaps I can somehow maximize the performance of the tablet.
I'm also going to look at "Style Jukebox."
Couldnt find a ton of info on it, and from what I see 2000 songs is the max.
But I'd like to look more as this could be a great option.

If anyone has tried it let me know.

Thanks.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I sent off an email to the people @ Style Jukebox to clarify some questions I had.
I'm still waiting on a response and looking for other solutions.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So far I have not found any solution I've liked.
I can't get a return email from the people @ Style Jukebox and the app won't let me download it from Google Play.
(that could be a tablet issue as it wont let me sign into my account)

Nothing is giving me the graphically pleasing look I'm going for, it seems a paid option might have to be the way to go.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Dreaming....................Android App

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
I know some of my users use splashtop to access E-Touch on their tablets. You certainly don't have that drag click issue with that and it's free so maybe that could be worth looking at.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Sweet, I'll look.
As of now I have found no suitable solution.
The project is dead ! SIGHH.................

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
Sweet, I'll look.

Why is project dead? All you need is splashtop 2 installed on the PC and the tablet and you are good to go. Obviously the PC needs to be hooked into some sore of speaker set up. I know quite a few of my users are doing this, using uncle T's jukebox shouldn't be any different.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Sweet, I'll look.

Why is project dead? All you need is splashtop 2 installed on the PC and the tablet and you are good to go. Obviously the PC needs to be hooked into some sore of speaker set up. I know quite a few of my users are doing this, using uncle T's jukebox shouldn't be any different.

I think perhaps I'm too specific in what I'm looking for. In both the look and feel.
I really want a solid top shelf looking GUI on the tablet end, that does not seem to be available from what I've found.
For example, using "LogMeIn" for example I can see the remote desktop which looks good, but resolution wise I'm limited. So one issue is my full-screen is not displaying, sadly with the tablet being lower end I'm kinda stuck at that. Example two, the screen shows up and looks good, I simply cant tap anywhere on the screen and get the response I would on the actual PC with touchscreen. I thought I would, but it isn't working as such.

Other programs I've found only support the music stored on the tablet itself, they might look good, but again not what I'm looking for.

I know you've responded in the other thread with Touchjams for $9.95 .
I think I'm going to download the trial and give it a shot.

If I sacrifice the look on the Android end to get the functionality I'm OK with that.
To state it again the idea is a dedicated PC running only the Jukebox software of choice, music stored on the PC and elsewhere on the home network.
PC hooked up thru VGA to my 55" TV and wired into my existing AV set up then controlled with the tablet.

I should have snapped a video and perhaps will of the tablet working in connection with the PC.

As I said I have some ELO touchscreen monitors I had purchased years ago for this project, but never got around to using them. With space an issue I don't think I will. I'm also going to look into adding an MK808 Google TV to my existing set up, being a Google device I know it's Android. Perhaps I'll find some cool options for controlling/playing music.

drventure

• Offline Offline
Do you have/use any Juke software now via remote control (iether on the tv or something else?)

The reason I ask is that I've used JRiver via it's "tv interface", and I've also used TIVO's juke interface (both the native and third party addons).

But +nobody+ else, in the family or guests ever did.

Having a touchscreen right there in a dedicated Juke cabinet, though... EVERYONE wants to play with that. Add tracks to the playlist, browse, check out album covers etc. I think it's the whole touchscreen thing.

I don't know, though, maybe the "android touchscreen tablet feel" would overcome that?

Maybe I'm just becoming an old luddite  :)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Things are so hectic I never had a change to respond yet.
I (as of now) use nothing other than the odd time I'll use the sharing via my BuRay player or XBOX 360. Only issue with that is my main PC has a very limited collection of music on it.

I have a separate PC with "ALL" my music. It's this PC I'd love to control/access via my tablet.

The search still continues !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

So again this project takes a new shape, new fuel on the fire, new ideas, new concepts.
Buying a very basic tablet (which I did) seems to have limited me quite a bit. I've seen some cool programs, however my resolution is not supported.
This tablet will simply be used for Android MAME at a later time.

Still the hunt continues to get my music collection accessible and in the man cave and useable in a "cool" way.
I purchased a copy of Touchjams on sale for $9.95 and started the process of custom skinning it.
Hopped on eBay and ordered a Bluetooth audio transmitter and a Bluetooth receiver to go with it.
Still have to clean up an old PC (in storage), fix the tags on my MP3 collection, and move all the music & videos over to the PC.
I've decided I'm going to go the simple route of having the PC, touch screen monitor, and blue tooth pair.

I have some space on my bar/candy station where I can house the monitor. Behind that area in the man cave is a closet, I can store the PC in the closet using the bluetooth to send the audio to my existing equipment.

IF............. BIG IF ..............I want to "beef" things up in the near future I can ask my father in law to assist in building a frame the monitor, perhaps using some RGB LED strips in the case, or even add some RGB LED strips around the man cave using a device that will make them strobe to the music.

Locally I've been able to track down a LCD touch screen so all seems to be coming together.
Touchjams can be controlled via my tablet, all be it the interface is nothing fancy....but it works.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So as I mentioned above this project is back in the "GO" section of the "To Do" list.
PC is not yet configured, but ready and waiting on a clean fresh install of Touch Jams (and new skin created by ME!) . Parts on order from eBay and 27" HP touch screen monitor has been tracked down. It's about an hour away from me. As the add reads its from an HP PC that was broken and as per "Geek Squad" needs new HDD. I asked the seller, who is selling this for a friend,why they would pay "Geek Squad" to figure out what is wrong yet not fix it ? He said the sellers wife objected to the repair. He said I can test the monitor (which is all I really want).
Price is $200 firm.

The price for the monitor IMHO is good, and the PC is just a bonus which I'm sure I can fix.
The add is some respects seems to good to be true.

My plan is install the required drivers on my laptop, take my laptop with me and test the monitor. I made the buyer aware of such and he was fine. I'm a lil on the fence with this, but I think it's worth it.

Thoughts ?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Noticed I kinda hi-jacked another thread. (My Bad!!)
So again........................... I'm back.
Like many of you I have too many projects, too many ideas, and too little time.
Android Arcade Project - NOT DONE ! Started (kinda), but not done !
Dual Core PC project with Fix It Felix Jr - not done !
I could go on, but I wont!

So this Jukebox.... something I have wanted for quite some time now.
Where do I stand with this ? Whats new, etc ?

Well I had tracked down a 27" HP TouchSmart PC. I had asked family to pick it up for me, but they were scared. Yep - SCARED ! Locally there was an incident as of late with a man who was killed selling his truck on Kijiji. (I'm in Toronto, Canada)
So needless to say the HP TouchSmart never got purchased and again the project went to bed.

However the hunt for a well priced touchscreen monitor had never stopped. I'm always looking on Kijiji and Craigslist looking for options. The last couple days I've found a couple of good options.
A Gateway ZX 6800 with 23" Touchscreen monitor for $200 is available and close to home which is great.
Another seller (whom I have not yet contacted) has another touchscreen PC for $200. The monitor size is unknown, but this one is complete (where as the Gateway doesn't have the keyboard and mouse).

The Gateway is available and I'd be able to pick that up on Friday. The other I'll need to contact tonight and decide. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO perhaps I'll get myself a birthday present (December 21st) this weekend and get this project finished.

I have my Bluetooth pair ready to go and TouchJams configured and skinned to my liking. It really does come down to the PC.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
I've got an old AMD computer, a ELO 15" I picked up on eBay that is plenty big, and DW Jukebox running with SimpleTouchFE as the main skin. Works great. Good luck.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ yotsuya

Whatever works man, whatever works !!! It's all good.
I got in touch with the seller of the 23" All-in-1, no warranty but said they would fix any problem that comes up.
(what that means I'll need to ask when I go see the unit)

Got a response from the other seller, $200 all-in-1, however monitor is only 16".
The 16" PC is complete with keyboard and mouse, but the smaller monitor is a turn off.

I know for $20 I can get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works on USB and just uses that lil small dongle.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Progress, progress, progress !

23" TouchScreen all in 1 PC - $200 ...........going to look tonight !
$10 wireless keyboard & mouse combo tracked down (pick up pending PC).

PC is not Bluetooth, but I have the adapter to resolve that issue.
The HDD is big enuff that it should be able to hold my entire collection, none the less the PC is Wi-Fi so I can always point TouchJams towards the PC.

Bob (@ TouchJams) made a change to have 1 click add to playlist which is awesome.
I'll post some info tonight.

Sooooooooooooooooo many projects that I have to do, if this PC works out (and I hope it does) I'll bump this to the top. Really it is as simple as adding TouchJams and moving the music over.

Ohhhhhhhhh man...............I hope, I hope.
I've bought a ton of used PC's in the past, never had an issue, I'm hoping this is the same.
I just looked, it's super EZ to get the program to start upon start up. And I had PM'd Bob (from TouchJams) about TRYING to help out and improve on the look of the web aplication.

So we will see where this all goes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:31:43 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Today is my birthday! Yay me!
I went out and saw the Gateway PC.
Looked good, cracked bezel, but for $200 I won't sweat that.
In the future I might try casing the unit, making it into a wallbox of sorts, adding LED's and what not.
For now @ $200 I'm excited.
Unit is getting set up with Windows 7 and won't be ready til tomorrow.
I gave the seller a verbal confirmation and advised I'd come get it in the morning.

For now I'll pull out my Bluetooth pair and get Touch Jams moved over to a USB flashdrive.
I'm excited.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Wtg! Pics? 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm just east of Toronto, Canada, Ajax specifically.
We got hit with the worst ice storm the city has ever seen.
Luckily at my house we only lost power for about 30 minutes, but my mother and my in-laws have been without power for 48 hours now.
With this development I never got back to pick up the PC ... but I told the seller %100 I want this !
HOPING........ HOPING............. HOPING to get out tomorrow (Christmas Eve) and get it.

I'm off til the new year and this project should be complete by then.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Can't win ! Can't Win ! Can't Win !
So the seller of the all in 1 PC's contacts me.
Seems the damage to the corner of the monitor has affected the touchscreen aspect.
Seller (who sells the PC's for $300) offered me a good working one for $250.
I tried to bargain it down to $225, but no dice ! NO FLEX !

Locally because of boxing week I can get a new 23" Touchscreen monitor (only) for $250 + %13 sales tax.
That would be new with warranty, but still require PC.

I'm really torn on what I should do at this point.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Sometimes I'm soooo stupid.
I get an idea in my head and I can't budge from it.
I got hung up on this $200 All-in-1 PC. When the seller advised me of the issues and let me know he's give me a $50 discount on another I declined. Hoping the seller would meet me in the middle. HE DID NOT !
I followed up a few days after, but still ..... no dice !
I was hung up on $25.......... YET.......... I bought six pairs of shoes in January. 6 pairs I assure you I did not need. I'm a few pairs over 100 when it comes to shoes (sneakers mostly).

Anyway........... I listed some various arcade/coin-op items for sale on Kijiji. I also managed to sell another MaLa layout (I do custom work for anyone interested). SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I decided this weekend I'm going to buy the PC.

I advised the seller to get it ready with Windows 7. I can call this project DONE.............DONE!!!!! Feels good to say.

matura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2018, 02:48:14 pm
    • TouchJams
SplashTop works well also (http://www.splashtop.com/).  It's free, and I've used it with an Android tablet/TouchJams and seems to get the job done.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I bought six pairs of shoes in January. 6 pairs I assure you I did not need. I'm a few pairs over 100 when it comes to shoes.

:cheers:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
SplashTop works well also (http://www.splashtop.com/).  It's free, and I've used it with an Android tablet/TouchJams and seems to get the job done.

Hey Bob,

do you use Splashtop so you can see a mirrored image of your screen on your tablet ?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I have a question that is perhaps better suited for the software forum. However I thought I would ask it as perhaps someone might know the answer.

For testing purposes I have one copy of Touch Jams installed on my desktop computer. It is a non touchscreen PC.

When I log into Team Viewer I can see and control Touch Jams, however I dont have the ability to simply click anywhere on the screen. I have to use my finger to drag the mouse curson, click and perform the action.
To me this really dulls the experience.

When I have an actual touchscreen PC and log in view Team Viewer do you think I would then have the ability to simply touch the tablet screen (like I would the PC) to perform an action ?

I hope I'm making sense.

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Check your setting on the Teamviewer tablet app. I use an iPad 2 with Teamviewer to control my juke and it works fine. I use Etouch exclusively now. I highly recommend getting up to speed on version 8, it fantastic!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So with Team Viewer and an iPad your able to control a regular PC like it was a touchscreen ?
Do you know what option I'd need to change in Team Viewer ?

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Nothing special to setup I don't think. I just confirmed that it does work as if I were sitting in front of my desktop PC, no dragging needed. I do use the personal password option.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks Mountain.

I'll play around a lil more tonight.
I had thought because the PC that now features Touch Jams is NOT a touchscreen getting touchscreen behavior from Team Viewer was not possible.
Could be I've overlooked a setting.

Thanks again

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
I just had a look again, when you are connected, there is an icon on the bottom right of the screen for options. Select input method, you may have it on "Mouse interactions" instead of "Touchscreen interactions"

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks Mountain.
I'm looking now to find the option.
I know that yesterday my tablet asked me to update, so I should have the newest version.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Says I have version 9.0.24951 , yet for the life of me I can't find this option.

Seems I have the newest version. I snapped a pic.
These are the options I see.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:20:19 pm by mike boss »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Maybe the iPad app and the Android app work differently? The logo is the same though, circles in red.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So funny, because I read that the Android app now supports touch controls.
But I clicked on the options and I don't have that option.

All I get is a screen that shows mouse options.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'll need to look into this, but I'm guessing Android doesn't work the same.
Oddly enuff however, I read that the Android version now supported "native touch."
Perhaps I can email someone at TeamViewer, perhaps I need the paid version ?

When I click on the options I can see mouse commands, but can't change it.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Installed the app on my phone, but same issues.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:29:31 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
posted in error. Delete
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:39:06 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
posted in error. Delete
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:38:50 pm by mike boss »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
That's odd. Good luck man.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks mountain.

I'm going to email support at TeamViewer.
Perhaps I'm overlooking something stupid. But I'm "pretty" sure I went thru all the options and did not see the option to change the settings.
Could be its only in a paid version ? But oddly I've read posts online where people talk about the new option for Android.
I thought perhaps my tablet was not up to par, so I installed the app (TeamViewer) on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.... but the results were the same.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
No response form Team Viewer as of yet............... hoping to find some solution.
Other than that I contacted the seller of the 23" Touchscreen PC's.
He's away...but we set up a pick up of Jan 25th (which is great because I will have been paid).

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
Using your phone or tablet you should be able to just press where you want to click and it treats it as a click in that position. You don't need to drag the mouse point around. This is the same as Slashtop 2.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
For some reason he can't get that to work with Android.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm going to try and snap a video to post here to demo the issue.
But simply put, I cant just touch the screen.
I've got no response yet from Team Viewer, and looking online at some videos they have an icon (for touch gestures) that doesn't show up on my Android Phone + Tablet. (off memory I dont recall if the videos featured iPads) . Could be what I've seen is an iPad, however I read that touch interactions work with Android. Not to mention it was a "new" feature that was not on prior releases.

I will try Slashtop 2 tonight as I'm really hoping for a solution. I dont want to spend the money on an iPad now, even an older used one. I got HIT HARD over the holidays and my problem buying sneakers and cologne took its toll! LOL

Thanks for all the help guys ! I'll keep pushing forward.

If I could get this issue resolved by the 25th that would be awesome. I'll be getting the PC that weekend.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I got HIT HARD over the holidays and my problem buying sneakers and cologne took its toll! LOL

Drakkar isn't cheap anymore, huh bro?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I got HIT HARD over the holidays and my problem buying sneakers and cologne took its toll! LOL

Drakkar isn't cheap anymore, huh bro?

Dakkar, Versace Dreamer, D&G, Lacoste, and Jean Paul Gautier.....and yeah, not cheap !
I just like to do things in moderation ,pace myself. Coming off the holidays things are a lil tight.
But looks like I'll need to just buy this PC and get the project done.
Is what it is I guess........ some people have a lot more $$$ to work with I guess.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:49:32 pm by mike boss »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Good luck with this! :cheers:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Thanks yotsuya!

Hoping to be able to say project is DONE by Feb!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Barry Barcrest

Just wanted to say thank you and SORRY!
You had actually mentioned Splashtop prior and I did not listen.
I went instead with Team Viewer as noted.
Well anyway tonight I tried Splashtop (the free one) and it WORKED perfect !
My tablet (as I've learned leaves something to be desired) but none the less this worked !
I still need to play with it a lil more, perhaps see if I can get it to fullscreen, but that aside I was very happy.
This just gives a cool lil bonus to my future set up.

Thanks again

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
@ Barry Barcrest

My tablet (as I've learned leaves something to be desired) but none the less this worked !
I still need to play with it a lil more, perhaps see if I can get it to fullscreen, but that aside I was very happy.

Thanks again

Free one works fine if you are on the same lan. I like the pinch to zoom option on it for the smaller buttons. In landscape mode on my S4 I can control E-Touch 100% using the touch geni 1024 skin. On a tablet it would probably be even easier.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Barry Barcrest

Thanks again

Free one works fine if you are on the same lan. I like the pinch to zoom option on it for the smaller buttons. In landscape mode on my S4 I can control E-Touch 100% using the touch geni 1024 skin. On a tablet it would probably be even easier.

So far it is quite good! I'm happy to have found a solution and posted about it on my local forum.
One thing I did notice was changing my modem the other day has reduced my Wi-Fi signal.
The modem is said to be one of the better ones the provider has, however I found my Belkin gave me more reach. I dont know if  the new modem has improvded speed, worst case I'll need to hook up the Belkin router to this new modem. I need a signal in my basement or all of this is worthless!!!!!!!!!!!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Home from work now cant wait to play around with this a lil more !
AHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN................WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now when I open Splashtop I get some screen pushing the "Anywhere Access Pack."
I cant get past this to use the product.
This blows

Working now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:50:31 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Playing with Splashtop, I like it.
I found that my new modem/router (as provided by cable provider) gave me more dead spots in the house.
I decided I would pair the new modem with the router I was using previously as I had whole house coverage.
When I did so despite the network having the same name Splashtop now thought it was a different network.
I had to do a few install/uninstall and still cant resolve the issue on my tablet.
Splashtop is working with my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, but on my tablet it shows the satellite icon, meaning remote connection.
I did a fresh install and even followed the steps mentioned on the Splashtop site with NO resolve. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  :banghead:

I'll keep trying as I really need this resolved.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Got paid! Got my bonus! LOVING LIFE!
Should be getting the PC this weekend, I'll actually contact the seller tonight.
I've been playing with Splashtop, but it is still giving me some issues.
Either my cell phone will work, or my tablet. One of which will always show "remote access."
Deleted the install from my PC yesterday, plan on doing a fresh install tonight.
I can live with the phone not connection, but the tablet is a MUST!
I'll post some pics and progress tonight.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
Got paid! Got my bonus! LOVING LIFE!
Should be getting the PC this weekend, I'll actually contact the seller tonight.
I've been playing with Splashtop, but it is still giving me some issues.
Either my cell phone will work, or my tablet. One of which will always show "remote access."
Deleted the install from my PC yesterday, plan on doing a fresh install tonight.
I can live with the phone not connection, but the tablet is a MUST!
I'll post some pics and progress tonight.
I am curious about splashtop.  I found the website. I am wondering what phone and tablet you are using.  Also are you using Splashtop 2?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini & for tablet I have a D2 Pad : http://www.d2pad.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=330

I had Splashtop working perfect, but when I re-connected an old router (for improved signal strength) it all got messed up.
I've done several uninstall/install with the same results.
I'm actually trying again right now.

I uninstalled the Splashtop streamer from my PC. One the site it says get the app, get the streamer, go!
Wonder does it make a difference installing on the phone 1st then tablet ? Would it make a difference ?

I will say when it was working Splashtop was AWESOME. Was what I was looking for, very happy with it.

EDIT - fresh install and the problem still exists. Makes me think the issue is with the other router I hooked up.
It's pissing me off and I need to walk away. I wont sweat this for now.
Sunday (if the PC is ready) before some of the obligations I have planned, it will be in my possession.
I don't need to have Splashtop working with my existing PC (as it's only to demo)...but I assume the problem is somewhere in my network.
And I'm willing to bet it would exist with the juke PC. When I complete some downloads I'm doing, I'm going to try unplugging the one router and trying this again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:22:17 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Back at this today, doing a lil trial run.
If I disconnect my Belkin router I can log into and use Splashtop without any issue.
So I assume somehow the router is blocking the connection.
I'm not very tech savvy, but I will try to fix this issue.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Busy weekend with the baby left NO time for projects.
I've not been able to try and figure out the issue with the Belkin router.
I played around a lil more with Splashtop, trying to get a feel for how it works.
I still say my tablet isn't the best, and there is some slight delay.
Changing settings to where no audio is sent to the tablet did indeed help.
I have to get some pics up...I'll try tonight.

Here in Toronto we got hit with ANOTHER storm (I'm so over this weather). I was unable to get the PC as planned. I've contacted the seller to let him know I am %100 serious.................HOPING this weekend I'll have the time I need.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
This is what I'm working with.
Gives me the look I want and what I think really is "WOW factor!"
As I said I need to get the PC this week.
Bluetooth stuff has all been tested and for the most part is pretty awesome.
I'd like it if the Bluetooth stuff stayed paired, so upon power up I didn't need to do anything.
However I think I'll need to pair it at every power up. (But I'll look for a fix)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Got he PC!
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Not going to get a chance to  work on it tonight (or Friday for that matter)........but none the less I got it !

Also picked up a wireless keyboard and mouse !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I have big dreams for this!
I'd love to get some form of custom case built (even if only a bezel of sorts), adding LED lights, etc.
BUT ................................... I will not even consider that for now.
For now I just want to get the stuff working as is.

Tonight (if I can) I'd like to move over all my music and install Touch Jams, MP3 Gain, and MP3 Tag.
That would be a great start !

The wife has ladies night tonight, so it's me and Sophia (my daughter)........Saturday is UFC, and Sunday the big game. But I'll TRY to make SOME time.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: Jukebox software, iPad/Tablet, Remote Storage, Bluetooth...all together now..
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
Saturday............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Saturday...............Good Ol Saturday.
I'm up and I've just cleaned off the computer, wiping down all the nasty fingerprints and trying to get it as minty fresh as I can.
I've unwrapped the new wireless mouse & keyboard and I'd like to get started!

First things first a lil breakfast with the wife, and if all goes well I'll be able to post an update later.

If I could get the PC cleaned up by removing programs I don't use, making sure minimal items are running at start up I'd be happy.
If I could get the software installed and the music moved I'd be thrilled.

Wish me luck all!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: Jukebox software, iPad/Tablet, Remote Storage, Bluetooth...all together now..
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »
Actually got a few hours to mess around with the PC today.
I got SOME of my music collection moved over and most of the software required installed.
Tomorrow I'll move over the rest of the music and I'm waiting on Bob to send me a link to TJ.
(my link expired)

Really happy with this so far !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »
So I got the PC all set up and ready to go. All the software I needed for my music has been installed.
I'll need to do a custom skin again as this monitor is 1920 x 1080, the skin I had done prior is only 1440 x 900.
So that will be next on the agenda. That onto itself is 4 hours of work I'd say. All be it I want to model my new skin after the one I had created prior. So that will make it somewhat an easier task.

Music has all been moved over and because TJ works differently than Uncle T's (what I was using prior) I'll need to work on tagging my collection. I also need to fix some of the album art. If I had compiled a folder of music prior, say "January 2014 Favorite Songs." With Uncle T's the songs would list as they were in the folder. Where as with Touch Jams the individual tags are used. Kind of messy in some respects, but again I'm working to fix this.

I think cleaning up the music collection will be one of the longer tasks. I have soooo many MIXTAPES, and I think I'll remove these from the jukebox.

One of the real pains is my Bluetooth adapter. It wasn't working when I installed it originally. Later it automatically downloaded drivers and was awesome. However the last few starts of the PC it says the adapter wont start. For $4 I ordered a couple various models off eBay tonight that I'll try when they come in.
This is so important for the way I plan on using the PC.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:03:07 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2014, 08:09:14 am »
I ordered 3 more USB Bluetooth adapters.
Why 3 ? The first two times I never looked to see if the item would work with Windows 7.
The thrid time I decided to look! (DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

That could be why I have the issue now ? I went back to eBay to look @ my purchase history. The seller doesn't list the item any longer. So I was unable to see the specs.......all be it I think I do have  the packaging at home.
I'll need to look tonight, could be it does work with Windows 7 and is simply faulty.
I figure the $5 I spent total on the 3 isn't a bad investment anyway. I can pair them with other equipment in the house.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: 23" Gateway All-in-1 Touch PC, Splashtop & D2 Pad Android Tablet = My Juke
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »
So little time, so little time.
I'm working right now on tagging my music.
Right now it goes all over the place ! (based on tags)
For example when I got married the wife and I made a CD that we gave out to all our guests.
Every year we pop that in and slow dance.
Because of the tags the songs will go everywhere, Chris Brown to the C's, Jagged Edge to the J's.
I'd like it if the music stayed in the folder, I find it cleaner looking.
For example I have one 50 Cent CD, and the cover appears 3 times, one song in two of the folders (all be it it is one folder, one album). This is going to take time, but I will fix it.

I am %100 working on a new skin, 1920 x 1080, will be much like the old skin I did, but better, cleaner!

Lastly I'm still trying to resolve my Bluetooth issues. I looked when I got in lastnight. The adapter is for use with Windows 7. It worked, then just stopped. When I went to install the drivers again (as device wont start, as per warning) it said device is working. Tonight I want to remove it and try again.
I do have three on order, but for testing I'd love to have it working.

Lastly, more playing around with Splashtop...that however seems to be flawless and working well.

This will be really cool when I get the music all tagged, and all the CD covers downloaded.
I'm looking forward to calling it done.................it's close ! I can taste it.
I get about an hour to myself each night and that is when I work on it.
Tonight I'll do more tagging.

EDIT - OPINION QUESTION

The way Touch Jams works and displays the music is by pulling the MP3 tags. Prior I used Uncle T's which did not do this. Which means if I made a compilation album (for example) the contents of that folder would display as saved. Did not matter if it were different artists, the folder would display as is. With Touch Jams however this is not the case. I guess it makes sense for a casual user, they wont know what song is where. And they are better served by knowing "Drakes The Language" is going to display under D for Drake, VS "Feb 2014" favorites. Why I don't like this is that you'll see the cover art all over the place, one mixtap or compilation could have 14 thumbs with one song per. What do you guys think makes more sense ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:47:06 pm by mike boss »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2014, 04:05:31 pm »
EDIT - OPINION QUESTION

The way Touch Jams works and displays the music is by pulling the MP3 tags. Prior I used Uncle T's which did not do this. Which means if I made a compilation album (for example) the contents of that folder would display as saved. Did not matter if it were different artists, the folder would display as is. With Touch Jams however this is not the case. I guess it makes sense for a casual user, they wont know what song is where. And they are better served by knowing "Drakes The Language" is going to display under D for Drake, VS "Feb 2014" favorites. Why I don't like this is that you'll see the cover art all over the place, one mixtap or compilation could have 14 thumbs with one song per. What do you guys think makes more sense ?

I like to do mine via singles view, like a traditional juke. It's been my experience at parties that it's easier for people to look for certain artists they want to hear rather than certain albums. My $0.02. :applaud:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:56 am »
Bob @ Touch Jams is awesome.
His support is awesome!
He added one touch play, a feature I love in the new touch jams.
Also added some coding to make it easy to edit fonts..........new skin coming soon !!!!!!
Anyway after rebuilding the library some of my tagging issues are resolved.
I still need to spend a good chunk of time getting all the artwork (CD covers) for my folders.
And some tagging issues need work still. But I'll get there.

The biggest pain is this Bluetooth. Tested it with my Vista PC + Samsung phone last nite and it worked.
But with the Windows 7 PC I still the the ! - and it wont send the audio.
As I said three more units are on the way... this is really buggin me !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2014, 08:51:20 am »
It's amazing the results you get when you know what you are doing ! LOL
A rebuild of my music library cleaned up many of the things I had fixed prior.
Now I'm going over my 30,000 + songs and making sure they are tagged ok.
In some instances I've added songs to existing albums, say a remix for example.
These would not display the way I wanted them to in TJ. So I've fixed that ! I'm almost done.
I just need to look over a few things, things like multi disc CD's. For example my Depeche Mode remixes CD.
It is three discs, so it appears 3 times in TJ. I'd like all 3o + songs to appear under one listing. I tagged it as all the same CD and need to review to make sure all songs are showing. It's the same issue with some Foo Fighters stuff I have. Again, these are all little things. But they take time.
I suspect I'll be done that by Friday.

Still no luck with the Bluetooth, pulling that out tonight and removing the software. I'll wait the two weeks for my new goodies to arrive. I plan on adding Simple Touch FE and some POP CAP Games to this PC also.
Really as much touch friendly content as I can........so I have the two weeks to spare.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:18 am »
It's amazing the results you get when you know what you are doing ! LOL
A rebuild of my music library cleaned up many of the things I had fixed prior.
Now I'm going over my 30,000 + songs and making sure they are tagged ok.
In some instances I've added songs to existing albums, say a remix for example.
These would not display the way I wanted them to in TJ. So I've fixed that ! I'm almost done.
I just need to look over a few things, things like multi disc CD's. For example my Depeche Mode remixes CD.
It is three discs, so it appears 3 times in TJ. I'd like all 3o + songs to appear under one listing. I tagged it as all the same CD and need to review to make sure all songs are showing. It's the same issue with some Foo Fighters stuff I have. Again, these are all little things. But they take time.
I suspect I'll be done that by Friday.

Still no luck with the Bluetooth, pulling that out tonight and removing the software. I'll wait the two weeks for my new goodies to arrive. I plan on adding Simple Touch FE and some POP CAP Games to this PC also.
Really as much touch friendly content as I can........so I have the two weeks to spare.
What are you using to edit the mp3 tags?  I had been wanting to try tuneup, so I went to the website to find they are out of business as 31JAN14. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2014, 10:49:31 am »
Jukebox project :

Jukebox : Touch Jams (love it !)
Splashtop : used to control TJ via my tablet
MP3 Tag : tag my music
MP3 Gain : used to normalize my collection

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2014, 11:47:38 pm »
I've been working like crazy trying to fix/tag my 30,000 + song collection.
With the baby and wife wanting "quality time" (WTF is with wives and the DEMAND for quality time?) I get about an hour a day of computer time.
I was not really familiar with MP3 tags prior, I knew that in my iPod music did not display as I had named it. But I never really put much thought into it.
It wasn't until I started using Touch Jams (which I love) and noticed that a few songs in a folder would be in displayed in a separate thumb/CD.
None the less I figured out what I had to do and I've started all my tagging. Most of my library is fixed up, but I have quite a few albums coming up as UNKNOWN (artist) & UNKNOWN (album). I'll need to go fix this, then make sure compilations (VARIOUS ARTISTS) are displaying correct also.
It really does take a sh*t load of time...........but I gotta do it !

I started and %90 completed a new skin for Touch Jams.
It's very much like the old skin I did, "Little Black Box."
I'll make it available to Bob as soon as I complete it.
For some reason I was not able to scale the old skin I had done, so I had to do this from scratch.
I need to make a few tweaks, modify the background, and fix some buttons.

I'm still having issues with the Bluetooth, but a new adapter is on it's way !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2014, 07:21:09 pm »
By this evening I should be %100 done tagging my collection.
I'm actually just rebuilding the library now and I'll look for issues when done.
From there it will be a simple issue of getting any missing CD artwork.
P.I.T.A to tag all this music...........the collection is so large (30,000 + songs).

Bluetooth issue remains unresolved and I'm simply walking away. Waiting on the new hardware to arrive.
I HOPE it works as intended, prior I had the hardware working in such a way where you would turn on the receiver and the connection the PC would automatically be made. That is what I want to make sure happens with the new devices.

The layout needs me to work on a logo for Touch Jams, darken the background (to make button edges less visible), and fix the control buttons at the bottom.
A faint red outline shows up, I need to clean this up. The good thing is I believe I know the exact files that require modification.

Don't know that I'll get it done tonight, but I'm happy with the progress. Once I check it off as done I'll move onto the Front End (Simple Touch) and games.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »
Glad to see you are getting there with the tagging.  Probably no use to you now but I used media monkey to do mine,  With Albums full of remixes and the like I would set the album artist to the actual artist and the artist to Various Artists. (Or maybe it was the other way round). In the jukebox it would then show as 1 album and not 13 different albums.  I would then delete all existing cover art and assign the album cover to all tracks in the album. (Most Compilation albums ended up with the artists albums cover instead of the compilation album cover.  As For multi CD's I used the CD# Tag for the CD Number then I would rename the tracks using Artist, Track Name, CD#,Track.  Finally I would use autotag to change the track numbers so Track 01 on CD 1 become 101, Track 1 on CD 2 became Track 201 etc.  It then displays and plays correctly.  Tagging that many tracks is a real PITA but it's a job that has to be done. I was not happy until everything was being displayed correctly. 

'

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:35 am »
Getting everything tagged was a real pain.
When I used Uncle T's jukebox it worked very different.
If I put 10 remixes of "TKO" (for example) and I numbered them, named them, etc...they would display as per what I named them. With Touch Jams that was not the case.

So if I were to add a couple remixes to an album it would appear somewhere elese. I didn't like it!
I'm glad to say I completed the tagging today. Touch Jams (as per what Bob told me) doesn't care about the track number.

What I had to do was make sure that ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST all matched. So for example Chris Brown, I have a folder "Chris Brown" with all his music. "Fan of a Fan" a mixtape with Chris Brown & Tyga would display under V - various artists. I had to fix it to read Chris Brown and display with the rest of his music.

Mixtapes I changed to VARIOUS ARTISTS (because they were mixed by DJ's) and I was ok with them displaying in the V. Most of the mixtapes I actually moved off the juke anyway.

None the less this is done, I have only one album showing up as UNKNOWM. The album tags would change, I'll just rip the CD again. All my VARIOUS music is also displaying correct. These were my two issues.

Tonight I tweak the skin and play more with Splashtop, getting a feel for it.
I also want to send Bob the tweaked logos I did.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2014, 09:15:25 am »
I took some videos to showcase my setup.
However when I plug in my phone it doesn't show up, I can't get the videos off it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
LOL! I feel like that WAY TOO MUCH!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »

I sense your pain, bro.  :cheers:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »

I sense your pain, bro.  :cheers:

If this new Bluetooth adapter works I'll be really happy.
This is the biggest problem right now. This is really the only way I can get the music to my AV equipment. I don't want to run any wires as the basement is finished.

Bluetooth seems to make the most sense ! I won't sweat it .......it should work.
The other Bluetooth testing I did works flawless.

I'm @ the in-laws now..... but if I can (before my shows) I'll get the skin done tonight.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2014, 08:18:15 am »
I got all the backgrounds changed yesterday. The new background is the same one I used in my previous skin, "Little Black Box."

I also sent off a revised logo I did to Bob (the guy behind Touch Jams). I'd like to get his thoughts.
If he likes them ,  I'll use the one he likes best on the skin.

Over and above that I need to just change the fonts and some of the font colors.

I was playing around for a bit with the juke on Splashtop......really cool. I like the pinch to zoom, for when the button is small. Works really well.

Hoping to find some time tonight to complete things.

Bluetooth adapters should be in next week. (fingers crossed they WORK!)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2014, 11:05:57 pm »
Skin is ALMOST done!
Just want to work on the fonts now.
Most everything else is done.

This Monday is a holiday for us here in Ontario, Canada.
A few projects need to make way on the to-do list, complete the skin is one of them.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2014, 02:08:50 pm »
Skin almost done, I might make it available to Bob for the thumbs up and possible release.
I'll later go back in and tweak the fonts.

I gotta post a video, I'm happy how this is looking/working.

Hoping (fingers crossed) that Bluetooth stuff should be in shortly also.

Want to ask an opnion, with new monitors (LCD) burn in isn't really an issue.
I'm not sure if I can set the monitor to wake from sleep with a touch.........I'll look into this.
Should I have this set up where the monitor is on the entire time ? (while in use)
OR - should I set it up with a screen saver, and sleep enabled ?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »
Skin almost done, I might make it available to Bob for the thumbs up and possible release.
I'll later go back in and tweak the fonts.

I gotta post a video, I'm happy how this is looking/working.

Hoping (fingers crossed) that Bluetooth stuff should be in shortly also.

Want to ask an opnion, with new monitors (LCD) burn in isn't really an issue.
I'm not sure if I can set the monitor to wake from sleep with a touch.........I'll look into this.
Should I have this set up where the monitor is on the entire time ? (while in use)
OR - should I set it up with a screen saver, and sleep enabled ?

Depends.  I like mine displaying some sort of visualiser software whilst music is going on.  But I have got it set to go to sleep after 30 minutes.  I figure If nobody has touched it for 30 minutes that it might as well not waste electricity.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2014, 11:33:32 am »
@ Drnick

When I thought about it, your right. Why have the monitor on but not in use ? Simply doesn't make sense.
What I think I'll do is adjust the settings so no visualization comes on, but when not touched for say 30 minutes it just goes to sleep.

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:06 pm »
I have not used touchjams but in E-touch it switches to an attract mode. Also the advantage of leaving the screen on is you can see what song is playing. This is handy when someone has put a track on and someone else want's to know what is playing.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
Thanks all for the input/feedback.
I haven't done much as of late with the PC.
No time to be honest.
I'm thinking my Bluetooth adapters will be in this week.
That should serve as motivation to push forward.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
I've been doing a TON of reading online.
Trying to find out ways that I could really make this PC "POP!"
Pop Can Games is one way! I actually ordered a few from Amazon.
I've downloaded Simple Touch Front End also.
I'll use that as the front end and set it up where Touch Jams can be loaded from the font end. I want to give the PC as much depth as I can, adding more software will give the PC so much more use. The main goal is the jukebox no doubt, but touch friendly games will make a nice little add-on.

As I mentioned prior my music is now tagged perfect, perhaps 2 or 3 things might need to be looked at again. And most of the CD art is also in place. I had desiged some custom covers for various albums (mixtapes) in the past, that are not showing up.
I don't know, but perhaps they are PNG or something. It's something I need to look into, but I'd say less than a dozen albums are without cover. So really all small things.

The main thing I need to do is get the Bluetooth adapters in. And I need to make sure it works the way I want. I'm not the most smart guy when it comes to PC's and what not.
You know how your smartphone will connect with a paired Bluetooth headset when the headset is turned on ? This is what I need to have happen here. I have the Bluetooth adapter (to send the signal) and the receiver. The Bluetooth adapter will stay connected to the back of the PC. The one I have no keeps failing and wont make/keep a connection. The receiver works off USB power...whcih my audio receiver does not have, but the device holds a charge for 3/3.5 hours (I don't want to connect it to my XBOX or Bluray for power). I'm hoping with the new adapter that whenever the receiver is powered on the connection will automatcially be made. I'd hate to keep going into the settings.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2014, 07:55:44 pm »
Still waiting on these adapters to arrive from eBay.
Til then I'm really doing nothing with the project....just working with my OUYA!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Parts didn't come in from eBay yet.
I did however order a powered USB Hub for use with my OUYA/PS3 Wireless controllers.
The plus however (how this relates to the jukebox) is that I can use this hub to power my Bluetooth receiver.
All the equipment is in the same place so this is awesome.

Quiet weekend planned.........so I'm also hoping I can get my CD cover art all in order.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So of course I order 3 Bluetooth adapters.........one of which works with Windows 7.
And of course, all but the one that I need have come in.
So no new progress.
Sadly I'm also stalling on the skin (which is done)........ sorry !

matura

• Offline Offline
    • TouchJams
Mike, can you send me the new skin?  If so just em to support@touchjams.com

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Hey Bob,

I'll get that to you ASAP!!
I might tweak the fonts a lil or send as is.
Either way you will have it shortly.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I got my Bluetooth adapter today (for Windows 7)............... I'll be away this weekend. But next week I plan on getting back on this.
Bob, you should have the skin at some point next week.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
FU*K ME!!! FU*K ME!!! FU*K ME!!! FU*K ME!!!
So I got my adapter and I was playing around today with this.
Wanted to figure out all the settings and what not.
I had checked my Bluetooth options so "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" was checked.
Was PERFECT! Turn on the receiver and all was good............now it is not working. I did a few install/uninstall. I'm so pissed.
This is a real pain in the --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules--.

**** My bad on the curse ! ****
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:05:33 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I had everything working with the Bluetooth pairing, but wanted to be sure of a few things.
Mostly wanted to find out a sequence to be honest.
So if the receiver was on fist, would the PC make the connection ?
Or should I turn on the PC (which will boot into a fontend), then the receiver ?
I'll need to keep trying this, try to get back the connection.

When all is said and done I want to turn the PC on, go into SIMPLE TOUCH, from ST FE users can select games or TOUCH JAMS.
I think the PC has to be on first, then the receiver to work correctly.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Messing around I think it got it working again.
When you turn on the receiver it will pause any music that was playing.
But it only takes about 10 seconds for the connection to be made.
Turning off the receiver wont pause the music, but takes about 20 seconds before the PC speakers kick back in.
Going to try a few reboots and see if my luck holds up !

EDIT - think my issue is resolved. Seems to all be working now. The Bluetooth adapter always gives me a few errors on start up. As it goes to install the drivers a checklist comes up, certain elements fail. Bu if you wait a minute or so all is fine, the connection to the receiver gets made and off to the races you go.
I did notice that Touch Jams (as opposed to Windows Media Player) gives me some issues when turning ON/OFF the receiver. Windows Media Player will go back and forth to my headset (for testing) and PC speakers, where as in Touch Jams I'll get no audio. No biggie as when all is said and done the PC speakers wont be needed when in Touch Jams. They will only be required for touch based games. I may even print up some form of instruction sticker for users, or add instructions to the desktop image. Not sure at this point. I'll need more time to play around.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:07:11 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Should have this skin up tonight for anyone interested.
I'd say it could use some tweaking ,but I don't have time.
It's very much like the last one I did, a few color changes, etc.

I do need to fix the mute button, I don't like how it looks. I can post that when done.

Anyway.......it is what it is !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Sorry for the delay in getting this skin up.
The stupid Bluetooth is acting up again.
I need to get this solved.
Without this PC being able to send the music out via Bluetooth I'm F*CT!

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
All those USB Bluetooth adapters are going to do is give you headaches. If you want it to work every time you need to go back to the old school and use the Audio Out socket.  We recently tried to do something similar at work as they wanted to have the pc on the other side of the room to the amp. No joy, No joy, No joy, then we found this.

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones-Receivers/dp/B002HHLOWC

They also do a long range version

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Home-RTX-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B00713RSE0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395789682&sr=8-3&keywords=Miccus+Mini-jack

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Drnick   

Thank you for the steer in that direction.
Without a working Bluetooth pair this entire project is a waste !
I NEED IT TO WORK !
The pi$$ off..............one day working, I reboot a few times to test the connection and all was fine. The PC powers on, the receiver goes on second, and POW! Connection made.

Walk away from the PC for a few days and now nothing. So I test the receiver with my iPhone and Samsung Galaxy and it is fine.

A few more bucks wont break me, so I'll get on this tonight.

Thank you

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Why do you need Bluetooth access again?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
The PC will be a stand alone device in my basement (placement to be determine) ...... the AV equipment is elsewhere.
I need to get the media (audio) from the PC (juke) to my existing 5.1 set up. That's why I want the Bluetooth.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Spring cleaning and projects.
Trying to get this skin uploaded today.
I'm also hoping to order one of the 3.5mm Bluetooth devices.
Hoping it is the solution to my problems.
I was messing around last night, but the issue persists.
The receiver works with other PC's and iPhones, just my Windows 7 PC (the Jukebox) has an issue connecting.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Ordered a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter.
It was only $17 on eBay............lets hope that doesn't come to bite me in the ass.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So the skins were sent off to Bob!
They are for the most part complete, but in reality it is unreal how LITTLE TIME I have these days.
Even if it is a project for myself, I just can not find the time.
And with the weather getting better I can only guess even less time will be available.

None the less I placed the order for the new Bluetooth adapter, it is on the way.
Can not wait !

@ Drnick ,

I have a question, and you may not know the answer to this. Since this PC is built for the sole purpose of a Jukebox I wont have the need to use the adapter anywhere else. If I connect it to the headphone out jack, but opt to keep it powered by the USB will that cause a conflict ? Will the PC keep trying to install drivers, etc ? 

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
@ Drnick ,

I have a question, and you may not know the answer to this. Since this PC is built for the sole purpose of a Jukebox I wont have the need to use the adapter anywhere else. If I connect it to the headphone out jack, but opt to keep it powered by the USB will that cause a conflict ? Will the PC keep trying to install drivers, etc ? 

I honestly do not know the answer to that one.  In theory no but if it does cause issues just get a blackberry phone charger and use that to power the device.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ Drnick ,

I honestly do not know the answer to that one.  In theory no but if it does cause issues just get a blackberry phone charger and use that to power the device.

You mean the lil piece that the USB plugs into ? Same like an iPhone one ?
Good idea. I think that option makes the most sense, I don't want the thing trying to install drivers and messing up.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
Got one of the guys at work to check the setup, It's plugged into the usb socket and they say no drivers present or required so it looks like the usb on it is just a charging circuit for the battery.  Leaving it plugged into USB should be no problem for you.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Awesome, thank you.
The one I ordered is slightly different, I hope it doesnt cause any issues.
I expect to have it in 2 weeks. (give or take)

mike boss

• Offline Offline

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
That'll be sweet for you permanently plugged into the USB.  Its basically the same as the receiver I have plugged into my Logitech 5.1 set but transmits rather then receives.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
The bluetooth part of this project has been perhaps the biggest pain in the --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules--.
I purchased several small USB Bluetooth transmitters.
One of which was to work with Windows 7 and works perfect in my Windows Vista PC.
However with my particual PC and Windows 7 it does not work. It wont connect, or does sometimes, other times it does not.

This is the receiver I picked up.
I've tested this with my iPhone, Samsung Galaxy phone and my Vista PC.
It works....it works well!
However with the juke PC (Windows 7) it is spotty at best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Audio-Music-Receiver-A2DP-Connector-For-Home-Stereo-Speaker-Car-Radio-/261446238768?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cdf690230

My hope was (is) that the PC will power on and the connection to the receiver is automatic. In some testing I think making the device "discoverable" was the solution to that issue. But again the overall performace so spotty. I removed the USB Bluetooth transmitter and uninstalled the drivers. Sometimes upon power up (even with the device removed) it begins to install drivers. I'll need to solve that.

Any way.......long n short of it. I purchased the 3.5mm device. I'm confident my receiver works. If it will make the connection each time upon power up and just flat out WORK I'd be stoked. Without Bluetooth I'm kinda f*ct...as the PC location is not near the audio equipment. So to hard wire it is not an option.

I just need to hope that the trasmitter with easily connect to the receiver.
I say this because prior the receiver did not show up on the PC.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:07:36 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Still waiting on my adapter to arrive.
Can not wait !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Still waiting on this part to come in from eBay.
I'm HOPING it is in today so I can get the final touches done this weekend.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Stupid item still isn't here...that is over 1 month.
It said if not in today go to resolution center. But when I do that it says it is too early.
I'll wait another 24 hours............. pain in the aZZ

Got the part ! Going to test this week ! Whoooo !
Can not wait.............hope this works without issue.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:19:10 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So the part arrived and I did a lil bit of testing............... very little !
Ever since I installed the USB Bluetooth adapters, even tho I did an uninstall, every time I power on the PC it says "installing drivers."
The device was removed & uninstalled so I do not know why it does this.

Anyway I connected the new device to the headphone jack, but it will not (as of yet) pair with the receiver.
I'll play around later as I need this to work.
One thing I do like with the transmitter is once paired it will only take 3 seconds upon power up to pair.
I'll attach a pic later, but as the device sits right now I can easily get to it to turn the power ON/OFF.
I want to see however if the device will go on if the PC is turned OFF while the device is ON.
(IE - I will not have to keep putting the device ON/OFF)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
The first issue you have is something has torn up the Bluetooth installation, Does the machine have built in Bluetooth, If so I would check device manager when it completes and let it search windows update for latest drivers. Or you should be able to disable whatever device it thinks it has found and tell it to not look for drivers next time. 

First make sure that nothing else in the room has it's bluetooth turned on.  Then you should turn off the receiver and transmitter.  Turn on the receiver first and it should go into search mode.  Then turn on the transmitter, It should also go into search mode.  With any luck they then find each other and just start talking.  The only problem may be if the receiver needs a Pincode to connect.  Some transmitters will automatically try 0000, 1111, 1234, 7777, 8888 etc.  Others are just set to a single code, So if you have to use 0000 to connect to the receiver and 1111 to connect to the transmitter that would be your problem  :censored: I should have thought about the pincode issue earlier  :banghead:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I knew the receiver did not require a code as I've paired it prior with PC's, iPhones, Android phone, etc.
I never thought however that other items could be conflicting.................and they were.
Namely my other PC and my Samsung Galaxy phone.
I turned off the Bluetooth and I was in business.

I wonder if that same issue (multiple devices in the room) is what caused my issue prior ?
None the less money is spent and the new transmitter is here..........and working !
That is all I care about.

I turned off the NON INSTALLED Bluetooth device, then uninstalled it from the device manager.

It is a lil late here and the wife and I had a long day. I wont do any other testing tonight. But this week I should get it all sorted out.

Thank you again for the tip on the transmitter !  :applaud:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Still rather behind in a few projects so I have not had all the time I had wished to deal with this project. None the less the Transmitter is working well. Long weekend here in Canada this weekend and the weather is BAD (well it said to be bad all weekend). No work outdoors means more work indoors....................Indoors means projects ! Whoooooooooooo!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Blows me away to look over this thread and see I started it over a year ago.
HOLY F**K! Where did the year go ?
Wow !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Playing around with the PC and my new parts.
Trying to get this project to the %100 mark.

The Transmitter works well (my issue was indeed other Bluetooth items conflicting with it). It has lost the connection a few times. But I'm yet to do any extended testing. I want to play around with an hour or so worth of music and see how that goes.

I disabled everything else Bluetooth related from the control panel and turned OFF the adapter (which is not installed) from the system tray. That seems to have done the trick with respects to drivers installing every time upon power up.

I connected the transmitter to the PC thru the headphone jack and connected the USB for constant power. When the PC turns off the adapter turns off, when the PC goes on the LED on the transmitter shows it is charging. Sadly I have to enter pairing mode every time upon power up. I'll read to see if I can fix that....

However on the plus side the connection has been made every time so far to the receiver.

For now with the PC (Jukebox) not cased in anyway I guess it really isn't an issue. Simply power on the PC (which will soon boot into a Front End), then power on the adapter.

More testing and playing around will be done tomorrow.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
In doing some testing today I found the transmitter always loses connection.
I made sure to turn off the Bluetooth on my other PC, and phone, and the issue remained.
I have contacted the seller.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm going back and forth with the seller of the transmitter for a refund.
I'll need to send this back to China, who knows what it will cost me from Canada.
I'm so  :angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!!

Part of me now wonders if my past issues were caused by having my phone (with Bluetooth) and other PC (with Bluetooth) on during testing of the USB Bluetooth transmitter(s). True enough it is an easy test, plug it in and turn off the other devices.

I think I may as well do the testing, I can always do the uninstall and disable the device again should it not work.
I'll try to get this done today.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I realize this thread is filled with some of the trials and tribulations I've had building (piecing together) this project.
When all is done and I'm happy I'll likely compile a minimized thread in the projects section.
This way others can see what I used, what worked, what did not.

The second Drnick wrote about other Bluetooth devices conflicting I thought I bet that was my issue. But I had spent $20 on the new adapter and thought I don't want to go back and see that my $2 item works. Anyway with the issues I'm having I just tried. Plugged in the USB Bluetooth adapter (Windows 7 compatible)..... it seemed to install OK. Connected the receiver so the drivers could install, simply powering it on making it discoverable was not working. It worked !
All seems to be working. I want to do a couple of POWER ON/POWER off tests, not simply rebooting. I want to be sure upon power up all will work.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Happy to say that after several start up's everything is working well with the juke.
In the end my lil $1 USB Bluetooth from China is working well.
The issue was indeed other Bluetooth devices in the room (second PC, smart phones) causing it to not connect.
I created a custom desktop image with the Touch Jam logo I designed, and the PC boots right up into Touch Jams.

I just need to clean up the desktop (unused icons) and later move onto installing some touch games that I purchased.

I'm still unsure if I should go with Simple Touch Front End, or just shortcuts on the desktop to launch the games.
I think perhaps if the PC was cased and clearly not a PC the Front End would be a good option, but since the PC is simply going to be sitting on a lil small Lack table from Ikea and clearly a PC most users will know how to use a PC.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2014, 10:08:54 am »
I'm rather happy with my jukebox project.
Not the most "fancy" of jukebox, but it does the trick.
Splashtop is awesome and using the jukebox from my phone & tablet is really cool.
Time however has not been on my side, I'm yet to get other software (games) and a frontend installed. I'd like this PC to be "soooo" much more than it is.
I've obtained a decent collection of touch based games, but just no time to get it all working.

Not related to jukebox per say, but I have a question for you guys.
Would you go thru the trouble of getting a frontend installed, or simply use desktop shortcuts to lunch the various games ?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:25 am »
Not related to jukebox per say, but I have a question for you guys.
Would you go thru the trouble of getting a frontend installed, or simply use desktop shortcuts to lunch the various games ?

My touchscreen jukebox is strictly music and videos, but if I DID integrate games, it'd be through the front end. Keeps it consistent.

matura

• Offline Offline
    • TouchJams
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2014, 11:37:26 am »
Mike,

Can you share some links for the touch friendly games that you have found?  I've debated in the past making TouchJams run or queue up a front end for games but really never found any decent games at the time (I didn't look very hard).  I have a MegaTouch and a MAME machine in my garage already but having some other touch friendly games would be cool.

- Bob Matura

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:11 pm »
BUMP...................... Long, long time !
I've kept the PC just as a juke for now.
But my little one is 2 now....so I might look for kid friendly games, or PopCap games for the wife.
These days I have no time for anything.

I do however wanna make a new skin! Getting a new PC this week.
Speaking of which I'll need to install TJ on it.........PM coming Bob!

matura

• Offline Offline
    • TouchJams
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:25 pm »
Mike,

Long time ago in this thread, there was conversation of using a tablet for jukebox.  2 years ago I went through the remote desktop (Logmein/Splashtop/etc.) route, and yes that worked, but kind of a PITA.  Next, I went the Subsonic/Android route, and yes that worked but was far beneath using TouchJams.  Couple of months ago I finally realized just how cheap the Windows tablets were, so I picked up an HP Stream 8 for around $150, installed TouchJams on it, and made a skin for the weird 1200 x 800 (I think) screen.  As that tablet only has a 32 gb HD, there's hardly any room for music.  So, I have it connect to a Homegroup PC via Wifi and load/play the songs off of it.  This whole setup is at my weekend getaway and don't have room for a standup juke, and also wanted just a tablet for mobility and use a Bose Soundlink.  Anyway, I've been using this for around a month now and all is good.  I've also added some features to TouchJams which are specific for battery operated machines (tablets/laptops), and also added some features which help tweak things for a slower machine with limited storage.

If you made it this far, sorry for all the text....

- Bob Matura

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »
I appreciate the info Bob.

I'm always making tweaks and altering stuff.
I use Splashtop which I LOVE!
But now I've moved the PC downstairs to its home, so the tablet is less important. (Probably cause I bought a sh*t tablet for $100)-------- SIDE NOTE --- waste of money ! LOL

Only issue I have is sometimes bluetooth devices fight with the bluetooth transmitter on the PC.

All I need is TIME to get down to the man cave and mess around for a good hour.

EDIT - I'm going to look into a Windows tablet. Could be a good route.
I'm sure I can salvage my crapola tablet into something my two year old could use (IE - destroy!)
This is a local retailer................boy am I tempted !

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Categories/754/Tablets___E-Readers/Windows_Tablets
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:24:49 pm by mike boss »

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2015, 09:56:04 pm »
I have DWJukebox running on this....

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-SW5-012-SW5-012-13TT-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00UB01E8Q/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=12Q8S7PYYABW5YER7J50&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

I updated it, and all my PC's including a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, to Windows 10. 

DWJukebox is still my jukebox app of choice, and I've designed a bunch of skins for it and love the electromechanical simulation aspect of it.  I was so relieved when I was able to continue to run it under Windows 10 on multiple devices.  That's amazing, considering the long history of that program, originally written for DOS.

I have a 128gb Sandisk microSD card in it to hold my large music collection.  I use the built-in bluetooth to send the music to either my living room stereo (with a bluetooth receiver added), or my Klipsch Gig bluetooth speaker, or my vintage Radio Shack SB100 tall stereo speakers driven by the amazing Griffin 20 bluetooth amp. 

I run dbPoweramp on my Galaxy Note 2 phone with...again....a 128gb microSD card in it to the same devices as well as in my car.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that any of this would be within my reach, I would have laughed at them.  My music is well backed up with it residing on several devices, and as long as I can keep making myself deposit a quarter for every three songs, I can keep affording to enjoy the hobby aspect. 

Brian

PS - One of my skins.  It's the one I use most when I want to select singles.  Notice Cortana is there and waiting, but DWJukebox hates to lose the focus and protests by going into a tight loop.  No multitasking while using that program.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:19:32 pm by Dermbrian »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Amen. Love DWJukebox!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2015, 07:16:06 pm »
@ Dermbrian

It's awesome when you think of the connectivity of things.
I'm pretty happy with my set up.
I had some issues as I mentioned with the Bluetooth, but I think it was cell phones taking away from the connection.
I still need to mess around a little, but I think the issue is now resolved.
I just have little cheap items from Ebay to make my connection.
I think the transmitter was less than $2, and the receiver like $7. LOL
I did purchase a better transmitter that goes into the headphone jack, but I had the same issue making connection.
It's been a bit since I ran a good test, but I'm almost certain  when I turned off the cell phone Bluetooth all was good.

Even the tablet I have, it isn't great, but it works. But a more polished, better tablet might make for a better experience.
Now that Bob had mentioned the Windows 8 tablet....I'm really leaning towards one.

All in all, for now, seeing as my basement is 600 or so square feet, and all is in close proximity I'm happy with the set up.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2016, 11:43:48 am »
BACK! Well kinda!
I'm hoping to get back on this project.
I love my 23" Gateway PC, I've solved my Bluetooth issues.
Prior I had issues with the Bluethooth transmitter & reciever, but the issue seemed
to be cell phones with Bluetooth enabled. My pairing issues are behind me.

I'm loving the PC and Touch Jams. I use MP3 Gain to fix all levels, MP3 Tag for tagging.
I like the music organized a certain way. I send the music via a Bluetooth transmitter to my existing 5.1 system. This was just a cheap device off Ebay. And on the receiver end I use another
Ebay pick up.

As noted I wanted to use my tablet, but I took Bobs advice. I just picked up an Asus Windows Tablet
Sooooooooooooo...............time (spare time) is hard to come by now with two kids.
But I do wanna work on a NEW SKIN and try this tablet route.

Bobs idea sounds awesome.

I'll post any progress I make here.

EDIT -  I know I've made reference to the tools used prior. I just wanted to do so again for new readers. Perhaps someone will find these tools of some help.

I still need to get something that I like to rip videos. I think I'd like to have a couple videos on here.

Also another question, and I don't know if this even makes sense. But is there a way that from Touch Jams you could use things like Songza
?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:47:19 am by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
I'm happy to report that I've FINALLY brought my Jukebox PC down to the "FAM-Cave."
Got the Blutooth connectivity working, and it sounds really good coming thru my existing
set up. I'll post the pics later today.

I'm now in the process of cleaning up my music library. I realized I have too much
underground stuff on the jukebox. I want to make it more commercial, or known artists.
Quite a process to actually clean it up, but I think it will be well worth it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Fam-Cave is a million times worse than Man-Cave. :-)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2016, 01:53:27 am »
pics

mike boss

• Offline Offline