Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Good source for a seat?  (Read 6594 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Good source for a seat?
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:31 pm »
Well spring has FINALLY sprung, so it's time to get ready to build me a racing rig. 

I'm wondering about seats.  Before you suggest it, I really don't care for the commercial racing sim seats out there.  They are very "race car" and for the style of cab I'll be building I'm thinking more luxury sports car.  So a standard bucket seat is what I would prefer. 

I was thinking of pulling one from a junkyard, but man... junkyards seem to be a thing of the past around here.  I might go this route anyway... gotta track down a part for my Camaro, so while I'm there.... it's just it could be quite a while before I track down my part and make a trip to a yard (which by the looks of things, is going to be fairly far away).   

So I'm looking for suggestions.  I'm thinking of spending around 50-75 bucks for the seat.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:51:59 pm
Re: Good source for a seat?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:00:13 pm »
Mine is pretty nice.  Bought it on ebay, paid $140 for it.  So a bit more than you wanted to spend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Sport-Reclinable-Drift-TR-Style-Black-Fabric-Red-Stitch-Racing-Seat-Slider-/360578364830?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f425359e&vxp=mtr

I tried to buy a pair of Honda Civic (2008?) seats from a guy off craigslist locally for $50, but he was beyond a flake.  And junkyards?  Ya..  I don't want the nasty whatever the previous owner did to it funk in my home.  Unless its a newer Corvette seat...  but they go for around $400...  :)

I almost bought one of these...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-reclining-racing-seats/p2009764.jcwx?skuId=319401&filterid=c54757u0j1

I was in the same place you are - I only wanted to spend about $50 on a seat.  Well, what you get for $50 (unless you get *really* lucky at a junk yard) is crap. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »
Well what I'm looking for is probably the opposite of what most people want, so I might be able to get a deal.  Most people want black, I want tan. 

Gonna do a wooden dash with faux leather top in a tan/cream color.  I'm not opposed to cloth seats, but leather/vinyl would probably look better for what I have in mind.  So yeah, I'm not building a racer.. I'm building a cruiser.  Remember, I'm an Outrun guy, not a Grand Turismo guy.  ;) 

I was looking at those "rocker" game seats they have.  I can get one of those pretty cheap but I wonder if it'd be worth the effort.  I'd still have to buy rails for it as I want the seat adjustable.  I just thought it might be good because those seats are SO cheap that I wouldn't feel guilty hollowing out the bottom to put the rumblers inside the seat as opposed to under it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »
Not at all what I was looking for, but damn... now I know where to go when I go over the deep end and start turning the living room into the bridge of the Enterprise.

http://www.amazon.com/BoomChair-Stealth-Boom-Chair-Silver/dp/B002ZPLWSW/ref=sr_1_14?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1365369684&sr=1-14&keywords=seat

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:51:07 pm »
Junkyard is probably your best bet.

Look for Japanese sporty cars. (old RX7, Celica, etc)

I bought one of the cheapest "racing" seats on Amazon and was disappointed.  (IIRC, it was $126)
The cloth doesn't feel like real automotive upholstery.  I think they were going for a velor feel, but it's somewhere between velor and felt.
The butt area is also pretty narrow.  I could stand to lose weight, but I think it would still be pushing in on my hip bones.

I haven't spent much time in it, but the seat that came with the initial d cab that I picked up seems more comfortable than expected for being hard plastic.
I'm debating between using it or the amazon racing seat.  The Virtual On seat on my current cab sucks after an hour.

Oh, and I despise beige interiors.  :P

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:17:39 pm »
I was looking at those "rocker" game seats they have.  I can get one of those pretty cheap but I wonder if it'd be worth the effort.  I'd still have to buy rails for it as I want the seat adjustable.  I just thought it might be good because those seats are SO cheap that I wouldn't feel guilty hollowing out the bottom to put the rumblers inside the seat as opposed to under it.

I looked at the gamer / rocker chairs (with the bass driver in them) and I just couldn't figure out how to mount one on my cab.  I've read that putting the rumblers / shakers on cloth actually reduces the feedback as opposed to mounting it on a plate that the seat is bolted too.  The springs in the seat let it move too much, reducing the output.

Now, I don't really know what the output of one of those things is until I get mine (this week I think?) so I'll let you know then. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:20 pm »
Oh, and I despise beige interiors.  :P

Well find me a car with a wood trim interior that doesn't have a tannish color scheme.  I'm not fond of it by itself, but with the appropriate interior....

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »
My '98 Accord EX had a grey / dark grey leather interior with a dark (fake) wood trim.  Like a marbled walnut type color.  I thought it looked pretty good.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:25 pm »
I'll look into it, but I'm skeptical on this one.  I'm going to leave the wood almost unfinished.  Not quite a blonde color, but pretty close. 

I thought I would mention these:

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-70200-High/dp/B007VRCTD6/ref=sr_1_42?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1365382030&sr=1-42&keywords=racing+seat

Even though I'm not a large guy by any means I look at that and think "my fast ass won't fit in that" but they are cheap and because they are meant to go in a real race car, they are a standard size, so you can mount them to a set of rails or hard mount them to a rig.  There are padded covers available for them as well, but they aren't very high end.... this type of seat is typically used for a dune buggy. 

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:00:29 pm »
Those are HARD - they're good in drag racing cars because you're only in them for a 1/4" mile at a time.  :)  Although I'm not sure if they're better or worse than a regular plastic arcade seat.  (which again most arcade games are only used for a few minutes at time....  they games are designed that way)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:29:14 pm »
Howard if you are serious about building a racing rig and plan on playing racing games then DO NOT skimp on the seat. If you get a cheap plastic one or used one your ass will start to hurt in no time. Number one priority in a racing rig is seat comfort. You may think you won't spend a lot of time sitting in your rig but you will be surprised at how addictive racing games become once you start playing them from a racing rig. The last thing you want is to risk getting hemroids because you sat in your rig for too long in a seat that proved to be too discomforting. Definitely get a brand new seat if you can, or one that has had very little use by the previous owner.

I would definitely check out the ones from Recaro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECARO-SPEED-SEAT-RACING-COMPETITION-TUNING-BLACK-RED-LOGO-LETTERS-/230917883449#vi-content

http://www.recaro.com/

Also check out the ones from Corbeau

http://corbeau.com/corbeau/race_seats/

These are similar to the one I have:

All leather....Been sitting in that one for the better part of 6 years and it's STILL in tip top shape and not a single tear.

Fursphere

• Online Online
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »
Mine is a knock-off of the Recaro brand, for $140 (instead of $700...  is that thing made of gold?)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:56:09 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions isamu, but I'm definitely not getting anything with "wings" on the bottom of the seat.  As I said, I'm not a large guy by any means, but I don't want my butt squashed into such a narrow space. On top of that I'm hoping to get something I can kind of turn to the side to get out of. 

Actually the ones in my Camaro are probably best shape wise... they are a bucket seat, but they are a soft bucket, so you can hang over the edges if need be.   They've also got a good old adjustable head rest, ect....

Hmm... I could get new seats for my car and use the old ones.....

I've really gotta track down a junkyard.... I've looked at the gambit of the sim seats out there and while some of them are really nice, they just aren't for me.  ebay has tons of deals on seats if anybody would actually be willing to ship them.  I wouldn't mind paying 50 bucks shipping if I got the seat for 10.  ;)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:30:08 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions isamu, but I'm definitely not getting anything with "wings" on the bottom of the seat.  As I said, I'm not a large guy by any means, but I don't want my butt squashed into such a narrow space. On top of that I'm hoping to get something I can kind of turn to the side to get out of. 

Actually the ones in my Camaro are probably best shape wise... they are a bucket seat, but they are a soft bucket, so you can hang over the edges if need be.   They've also got a good old adjustable head rest, ect....

Hmm... I could get new seats for my car and use the old ones.....

I've really gotta track down a junkyard.... I've looked at the gambit of the sim seats out there and while some of them are really nice, they just aren't for me.  ebay has tons of deals on seats if anybody would actually be willing to ship them.  I wouldn't mind paying 50 bucks shipping if I got the seat for 10.  ;)

Well it's ultimately up to you bro. FWIW the seat I have is the "Wide bodied" version so I can fit nicely in it and I'm 6'4 293lb. Out of curiosity what does your Camaro seat look like? Example? Also make sure it's recline-able. ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »
Well it might be one of those deals where the scale isn't translating well.  They look narrow from the pics. 

I've been trying to find a pic online, of my seat for reference, but surprisingly I can't find one. 

Here's the same model I think, but it's a bad angle:

(Note:  This is somebody else's car, I wouldn't let mine get that dirty inside.  ;) )

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:24 am »
Not that these will help in your build at all, But they would sure as hell bring a new level of realism to office chair racing.  :laugh2: :laugh2:
http://www.amazon.com/DX-Racer-DXFBR02-Office-Fabric/dp/B008AQJJPS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_5

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 08:57:34 am »
I look at something like that and think... "somebody would actually buy that?"  I mean seriously, you could buy a racing seat and have it professionally mounted to wheels for less than that. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
Well they started selling NOS bumper reinforcements for my car online again.  So my junkyard trip is less likely at this point. 

I'm gonna pick up a ad bulletin and see if anyone wants to get rid of seats.   

Fursphere

• Online Online

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »
It's out of my price range for this project unfortunately.  Because I don't have a pc for it yet, I'm going to have to be a bit frugal.  I've got the wood, the interface boards, a wheel and pedals, and most of the main parts needed. 

What I lack other than some cheap misc junk (like vr buttons) is a seat and a pc.  So the more I spend on the seat the less I can spend on the pc. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
It's out of my price range for this project unfortunately.  Because I don't have a pc for it yet, I'm going to have to be a bit frugal.   So the more I spend on the seat the less I can spend on the pc.

why not move the pc you're currently using over to the cabinet? Doesn't it run SuperModel, Model 2, and Rave Racer via mame quite well?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »
Yes it does... probably because I paid 1000 bucks for it just a year or so ago.  ;)  I bought this one instead of building specifically so I'd have a very reliable desktop to code on.  It's staying.  Also it's the size of a house... probably not the best form factor for a racing rig. 

The one in the cab will most likely have lower specs... at least for now anyway.  If not then I'm going to pay for that extra oomph... thus why I'm being such a tight wad on the seat. 

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:02 am »
I used an mr2 seat in mine. Its very comfy and sporty looking. Check out my thread and you can see it inthe youtube video

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 01:17:41 pm »
As in Toyota?

Yeah in terms of size and shape, that's in the ballpark of what I want. 

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 03:36:58 am »
Yep thats right. The seat is super comfy abd sporty looking.
Its also not too thick, so its easy to get in and out and its not too heavy.
I could also bolt transducers underneath with space.

Check out youtube.com/aletchet

Have a look for people breaking mr2s on ebay. Otherwise an rx7 gen3 (fd)  is abput the same and you could source them for cheap. Well in the uk. :)

segaleeroy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2013, 03:39:43 pm
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »
try a junk yard ur be susprized what you can find mate

if u lived in the uk could have my spare bucket seat for nothing had to buy a pair for my new bulid

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:08 pm »
Segal where you based?
 got a link to your cab?

segaleeroy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2013, 03:39:43 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:01:03 pm »
im in the process of making a bulid log kinda messy at the mo so once i get it sorted im going to be uploading my plans and the full bulid from start to finish with videos and pictures

and im based in north london

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:01 pm »
im in the process of making a bulid log kinda messy at the mo so once i get it sorted im going to be uploading my plans and the full bulid from start to finish with videos and pictures

and im based in north london

What exactly is a "Build log"? Is that a certain kind of driving cabinet?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »

Build log!  Log, like a place where you record progress......like a captain's log....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:28:13 pm by BadMouth »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:08 pm »

Build log!  Log, like a place where you record progress......like a captain's log....

Ahh thanks for the clarification :)