Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Finished" but already planning modifications to my cab...  (Read 879 times)

welshjpc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2020, 04:11:52 pm
  • Golden Tee cab project COMPLETE! :-D
"Finished" but already planning modifications to my cab...
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:28 am »
Hello all,

I hope you have already seen my current ex-Golden Tee cab job http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131509.0.html. now I am thinking, I am pleased that my control panel is fairly minimalist but I suppose I should consider a pause button - however I don't really want to either:

(a) add more buttons to my panel or
(b) place buttons that won't be connected to the current IPAC-2 fitted to the panel, I am happy that the panel is connected simply by the two USB cables.

Therefore I am thinking of buying a second IPAC-2 board to fit under the panel near the audio amp (if you've seen my project you will see there's ample space) allowing me to place a button on the underneath of the controls near the P1 speaker for a "pause" button, then I can wire a button in the coin mech compartment for service (F2) and MAME menu (tab). As I've got a 4 year old I don't want him getting to those buttons, who knows what he'd do!

The cost would be another £40 or so but I think that if I cut corners and wire up to the current IPAC2, then leaving the potential for pulling wires should - sorry - when I need to lift the control panel (I don't like acronyms, I have them all the time at work) I will always have that "could have done it better" feeling.

Does anyone else use such a configuration or do you all think I'm some sort of OCD weirdo?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:53:35 am by welshjpc »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:29:59 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: "Finished" but already planning modifications to my cab...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:11 am »
Since you're only going to wire a few more buttons and want to do that on a separate keyboard-type encoder, I'd recommend using Degenatrons' AVR Encoder or the KADE firmware.

An AVR-based encoder costs a lot less than an IPac and it acts just like a keyboard, so there are no conflicts between the AVR and the IPac.

Scott

UPDATE:  KADE loader has just been publicly released.

Details here.

It is easy to use and can program several types of AVR and Arduino.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:54:32 pm by PL1 »

CpCaveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2018, 11:43:05 am
  • Contains 0% horsemeat , may contain BULL though :)
Re: "Finished" but already planning modifications to my cab...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »
dont get another i-pac if you dont need it, unless you really want to spend the money that is :)  just run the cables so you have enough slack or theyre run in a way that pulling the cables wont be an issue, you could also run them through a connector you can unplug when needed to remove the control panel. use the next i-pac for the next project :) would cost a lot less too
Hit something hard enough it should work, if it dont the result can always be called art :)