Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Data East 20th Anniversary  (Read 2450 times)

darthpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
Star Wars Data East 20th Anniversary
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:57:48 pm »
I just found out about a code update to the Data East Star Wars Pin, info here http://www.pinballcode.com/.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Star Wars Data East 20th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »

It's a total change to the ruleset.  I have spent quite a bit of time with it and it does balance the game out quite a bit.  Probably the best thing it does is add a ball saver that was badly needed before.  Now, instead of just the ramp, the two right orbit shots (R2D2 Runaway and 3PO) are also important to scoring.  The ramp no longer racks up huge points but it does throw out awards like candy from a parade float.  Someone who is good at the shots in this game can still run up a huge score but needs to hit different shots to do so.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »
I had a real nice example of this game and sold it about 6 weeks ago or so to finance purchase of TSPP.....I liked the game but it was repetitive.  Would have liked to experiment with the new code though.  Either way the number of shots in the game were limited and an updated ruleset cant change the layout. 

I've owned both SW pins and they both suffered from trying too hard to incorporate a death star shot into game.  Granted, that is arguably the best part of the movies to incorporate into a pinball machine but when you have sacrifice half your playfield to accomodate it other areas suffer.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »

This has become one of my go to pins for competition play.  Not many people know the game and even less know the new ruleset.  It's a huge advantage to know the new scoring against people who still play the old ramp ramp ramp ramp style.  I killed with this game, Mousin Around, and Black Knight in competition on saturday. 

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:13 pm »

This has become one of my go to pins for competition play.  Not many people know the game and even less know the new ruleset.  It's a huge advantage to know the new scoring against people who still play the old ramp ramp ramp ramp style.  I killed with this game, Mousin Around, and Black Knight in competition on saturday.
I don't think you find top players in your buddy's basement. But three cheers for you,  :censored:.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:23:03 am »

I don't think you find top players in your buddy's basement. But three cheers for you,  :censored: .

New England Pinball League has players all the way from beginners to a multi time PAPA World Champion.  The full range.  NEPL spring session final was this saturday at Pinball Wizard in Pelham, NH.  Competition takes place in NH on Monday, MA on Wednesday, and ME on either Thursday or Saturday depending on the week.  A session lasts 8 weeks plus Final.  This session there were ~40 players from four states.  Players are awarded IFPA world ranking points according to their finish.

There is a local monthly tournament at Lanes and Games that attracts ~40 players on some of the very best machines on location anywhere.  L+G's owner is a lifetime pin collector and he keeps his Stern LEs in better than NIB shape.  Every third tournament is for IFPA points.

There is a yearly tournament at Pinball Wizard that attracts over a hundred players annually.  They have 90-100 pins available at any given time.  IFPA points awarded.

There is a yearly tournament at a private location (public welcome) in the Portland, Maine area that also attracts around a hundred players.

The competitive pinball scene in New England has seen an explosion over the past three years.  It's pretty awesome.