Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacement Parts For Sega Model 3 Cabinet??  (Read 2495 times)

Brian74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Replacement Parts For Sega Model 3 Cabinet??
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
So the side panels are pretty beat up on my cabinet. I have been looking for replacements, but no such luck. I have never tried to repair plastic. Idk if this can be fixed or not. I was thinking about removing the sided and marquee. Removing the blocks, filling in the holes. Using some kind of laminate to finish it off. Thoughts or ideas?

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Replacement Parts For Sega Model 3 Cabinet??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »
Here are some pictures.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:31 am »
I'd use fiberglass to repair the plastic from the backside, then use a fiberglass reinforced filler like duraglass on the front.
For places where chunks are missing, run masking tape across the front side to form a rough mold and push fiberglass into it from the back.
After that hardens, hit it from the front with duraglass to fill in the gaps.

They have fiberglass repair kits at walmart that include woven mat, resin and hardener.
Watch some youtube tutorials, then start playing with it.  It's not hard.  Especially for this application.

Being half of a virtual on, my cab had t-molding on one side and the boards to mount the endcap on the other.
The endcap didn't come with it.  I ripped off the boards and filled them in with wood putty.  I should have used bondo.
I never could get the wood filler to the same texture as the rest of the panel, so it is visible when the light hits it a certain way.

If you have any experience doing bodywork, fixing the plastic won't be any more hassle than removing the boards and routing a t-molding slot.
The good thing with them is that you can work on them away from the cab, where dust from sanding won't get all over your cab.  The same can't be said for routing the t-molding slot.  :)

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:45 am »
Anyone know where I can get new Daytona USA 2 artwork?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2