Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I WANT THIS SHIFTER!!!  (Read 7685 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I WANT THIS SHIFTER!!!
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:43 am »
A guy from the iracing forum bought an H-pattern 6-speed arcade shifter from the local classified section for like 50 bucks or something, and we've been having a discussion about it on the forums...

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1870993.page

He's not 100% sure, but he thinks it *might* be from a Ferrari F355 deluxe sitdown cab. Another guy posted that even though it may have come from an F355 cab, it was most likely made by Happ. Here's what he had to say...

Quote from: Nxxxx

Pxxxxxx,

The original Ferrari F355 Challenge cabinets had 6 speed shifters, but were produced in Japan, and the parts were made by Sega.   These were the ones with triple screens and the replica seats and Ferrari wheels.

Outside of Japan select locations had the decked out cabinets, the rest of them were placed into other Model 2 cabinets like the Indy 500, Sega Rally, and Daytona machines.

Those originally had 4 speed or sequential for those games, and they added the 6 speeds to them to make them work with F355.

Other games supported 6 speed, a ridge racer cabinet, some Need for Speed games and others.  Happ makes the one you have so owners of older cabinets can buy the new games and update their older cabs to support them.

Here's a few vids:

Dang, I would really like to know where I can get my hands on that exact shifter. The guy from iracing simply lucked out and found his in the local classifieds in Australia. Even though it appears to be a Happ made shifter, Happ themselves don't even sell this specific model on their website. The closest they have is this new 6 speed shifter they've started selling not too long ago:

As you can see, it's obviously inferior to the one posted above. Looks very similar to their basic 4-gated shifter which I already own. Happs 4-gated daytona style shifter is OK, but it tends to favor one side of the gate over the other. I see no reason that their 6-spd shifter won't do the same thing.

I'd love to have that Ferrari F355/Happ shifter like the guy in the video's using. Know of any place that has one?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: I WANT THIS SHIFTER!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:35 am »
I dunno man... it's looks a little convoluted in the way the switches are hit. 

I'm going to build one this summer based loosely on this:

The spring probably isn't the best way to do it (ball joint would be better) but the concept is still pretty good.  My motto has always been if you want it done right, do it yourself.  ;)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
RE: I WANT THIS SHIFTER!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:44 am »
Need for speed 6-speed is $85 or so on happ website.  it's the same as the one pictured on the global vr service site, but an inch shorter.  Not sure if it's any better than what you have.  No reverse.  I thought about it, but like paddles for anything with more than four gears.

Sent using Board Express

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: RE: I WANT THIS SHIFTER!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »
Need for speed 6-speed is $85 or so on happ website.  it's the same as the one pictured on the global vr service site, but an inch shorter.  Not sure if it's any better than what you have.  No reverse.

that's probably the same one as this one

Howard that's cool bro, keep us posted this summer on your shifter project. I have a CST shifter on pre-order but Todd is going through some legal mumbo jumbo right now and god only knows when I'll get it. I'm using a TH8RS shifter from Thrustmaster in the meantime but it's so light and flimsy feeling. I'd love to have that F355 one despite the wonky switch design.