Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Front end garbled but GUI OK with Radeon FSC on arcade monitor?  (Read 2460 times)

tobiasbp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2013, 05:20:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I'm hoping to use GroovyArcade with my original Space Invaders part II cocktail CRT monitor. In my PC I have installed an ATI Radeon FSC. When booting off of the latest CD, I get a stable (But not to the edges?) image of the GUI (1st image below). When I launch the front end however, I get a garbled image as seen in the 2nd image below. When using the setting  "generic 15.7 khz" (1st option) in the video setup menu, the garbled image rolls. If I choose  "Arcade 15.7 kHz - standard resolution" , the image is still garbled, but does not roll.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

GUI of CD looks OK, but image has big black borders:

When launching the front end, the image looks like this:

tobiasbp

• Offline Offline
Re: Front end garbled but GUI OK with Radeon FSC on arcade monitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:35:30 am »
Bump.

No one has any idea how to resolve this? Should I tinker with modeline? What file should I update when booting off of the CD?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:02 pm »
Hi tobiaspb, sorry for the late answer.

It looks like you just need to adjust your monitor. First use the horizontal frequency adjustment in your monitor chasis, that will bring the picture into sync.

Once you have a stable picture, play with the horizontal shift and horizontal amplitude adjustments until the picture fits the screen.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

tobiasbp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
Hello Calamity.

Your reply is much appreciated!

I could adjust the monitor as you suggest,  but would that not make the GUI look wrong? For starters I would like to use the same setting for the frontend as I sucessfully use with the GUI. Is that not possible?

Also, if I adjust the monitor, my PCB would no longer dosplay correctly I assume? I'd rather find a compatible setting for the frontend/MAME. Does that make sense?

Regards,
Tobias

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:33 pm »
Hi tobiasbp,

Well, you should manage to find a horizontal frequency setting where PCB, Groovy's menu (gasetup) and games are all synced. It probably requires just a very subtle adjustment to achieve it. Bear in mind that all three frequencies are very close, and the monitor will have a range of tolerance, you just need to move the potentiometer a bit so these three frequencies fall inside.

As for the size/centering, you're right, you'll need different adjustments when you switch to the PCB, but you can also find custom software settings that reproduce your PCB borders size, if that's what you like (this won't apply to gasetup anyway).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:59:08 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi