Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which logo do you prefer for the final artwork? (see page 32)

I like the original (ver. 1)
I like the new (ver. 2)

Author Topic: Mission Control Project: 5 years on, what to do with the leftovers?  (Read 547911 times)

psychopanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
Re: Mission Control Project - The latest jigs - minor update
« Reply #840 on: April 13, 2006, 11:33:38 am »
You know, it just occured to me that this:

...would make a heck of a token.  If a guy were going to spare no expense, that is.

I'd be worried that the little notches on the sides would tear up the coin chute on the way down! ;)

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #841 on: April 13, 2006, 11:52:41 am »
You know, it just occured to me that this:

...would make a heck of a token.  If a guy were going to spare no expense, that is.

I'd be worried that the little notches on the sides would tear up the coin chute on the way down! ;)
Why would Pixel use a standard coin door?
He will probably build something like this.

The coins will look just like the above image. (Full 3D with color and all).
You will place them into a lighted recess that has a perfect fit.
You then press down on the coin and it will lower into the panel.
At the same time fog and air will circulate, lights will flash and the coin will dissappear.
At the same time some cool sound effect is also playing in the background.

WOW, what did I smoke for breakfast?
Half of the people you meet are below average.

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #842 on: April 13, 2006, 02:09:27 pm »
Ack dont give him any more ideas, Ive already waited too long to see this project come this far....  ;

Any recent project updates Pix?

mj147

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #843 on: April 15, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »
We need updates pics eyecandy input.
Anything!!
Stop teasing.
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2006, 06:27:43 am »
^^bump.

for purely selfish reasons.  dying to see progress on this cab.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2006, 10:25:08 am »
^^bump.

for purely selfish reasons.  dying to see progress on this cab.
Dats funny.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #846 on: April 23, 2006, 05:46:34 pm »
Pixelhugger reminds me of the old commercial, "we will sell no wine before it's time."   :angel:

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #847 on: May 03, 2006, 02:44:21 pm »
Well I had planned an eye candy navpanel update today since it's slow at work... but then forgot the hard drive with all the pictures on it, so it'll have to wait until tonight. DOH!!

On a totally unrelated note, I was able to show off my, errr, lack of progress to a fellow cab builder who stopped by last weekend. It was the first time I got to show the cab in person to someone who has actually followed the thread. Fun stuff! :)
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #848 on: May 03, 2006, 02:51:26 pm »
Why would Pixel use a standard coin door?
He will probably build something like this.

The coins will look just like the above image. (Full 3D with color and all).
You will place them into a lighted recess that has a perfect fit...

Hehe... Now THAT would be cool. Especially with the fog.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I did intend on mounting two tokens on the CP and wiring them with one of those electrostatic touch sensitive switches they put on metal lamps. That way you could just touch.. not press.. the token and register a credit. I canned the idea when I decided the coin door would discourage credit absue. This came after a friend and I played Gauntlet with a million or so credits and I realized some games just suck if it's too easy to tap in credits. Still, I thought the idea was cool and may use it on... ummmm.. my next cab.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #849 on: May 03, 2006, 03:15:24 pm »
On a further unrelated note...

I've continued to be tempted by the idea of a magazine to commemorate the completion of the project. I decided a while ago it was self centered to the point of embarassing but the idea continues to fascinate me. I just discovered the printer can produce magazines with a squared off/glued (perfect bound) spine... like the videogame magazines you see on the newsstands. This got me thinking about it again and I may cave to my inner geek. I thought if the magazine were structured around a reprint (albeit heavily abridged) of the thread, I'd have a much less embarrassing time explaining why I printed it. ::)

Would anyone else be interested in a commemortative abridged hard copy of this ridiculously self serving thread? It'd look and feel much like the ads in my sig. and would contain a partial reprint of the thread, parody ads, project background, how to's and construction gallery and an article unveiling the final project...40-50 pages in all (44 pages is the minimum for the perfect bound spine :P) I'm askin cause the more copies I could sell at close to cost the more likely I could afford to actually run the thing- probably at 9 or 10 bucks each. Just checking. I know, I know....  :lame:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:18:12 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Bumblebounces

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2016, 07:57:28 pm
  • I ever tell ya 'bout Bumbles? Bumbles...BOUNCE!
    • Starbase 74
« Reply #850 on: May 03, 2006, 04:02:52 pm »

Would anyone else be interested in a commemortative abridged hard copy of this ridiculously self serving thread? It'd look and feel much like the ads in my sig. and would contain a partial reprint of the thread, parody ads, project background, how to's and construction gallery and an article unveiling the final project...40-50 pages in all (44 pages is the minimum for the perfect bound spine :P) I'm askin cause the more copies I could sell at close to cost the more likely I could afford to actually run the thing- probably at 9 or 10 bucks each. Just checking. I know, I know....  :lame:

I'd probably pop for one...  Provided the cab is finished and the magazine published before I hit retirement age in 2032 and cannot afford it with my reduced monthly income.

Come on...  get with the building and updating already.

Bumble

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #851 on: May 03, 2006, 04:09:03 pm »
What the... you mean actually build it????

Heh... check back tonight for the navpanel progress. ;)
Project mega thread HERE

liquid8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2017, 04:02:02 am
  • I working on it.. it'll be a while.
« Reply #852 on: May 03, 2006, 11:24:33 pm »
uh... son of a .... how dare you post in here without pictures! When I found this thread I read through the whole thing (it took a while).... only to find out that it wasn't complete. So now I'm just waiting, to see how I want to build my cab. Maybe I will just build yours, so I get to see it complete!

Of course, I'm just messing with you. :P But don't you dare come back here without pics ;) Funny you should mention the "thread book", I was just going to suggest you say screw the book and just print the whole thread out.

Anyways, wish you luck, and you should heed the lesson you already know from everyone else on here... take on ONE project at a time. Screw the book, no sense in making a book on how something was built... if it never gets built.

l8r,

liquid8

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #853 on: May 03, 2006, 11:27:39 pm »
Would anyone else be interested in a commemortative abridged hard copy of this ridiculously self serving thread? It'd look and feel much like the ads in my sig. and would contain a partial reprint of the thread, parody ads, project background, how to's and construction gallery and an article unveiling the final project...

Put in a cut-out version of your cab so we can build our own (similar to the Way of the Rodent models) and I might be interested
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #854 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:41 pm »
Would anyone else be interested in a commemortative abridged hard copy of this ridiculously self serving thread? It'd look and feel much like the ads in my sig. and would contain a partial reprint of the thread, parody ads, project background, how to's and construction gallery and an article unveiling the final project...

Put in a cut-out version of your cab so we can build our own (similar to the Way of the Rodent models) and I might be interested
HOLY CRAP!!! That's a freaking GREAT idea!! OMFG that's a must do!
Project mega thread HERE

liquid8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2017, 04:02:02 am
  • I working on it.. it'll be a while.
« Reply #855 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:04 am »
WHAT DID I TELL YOU!  :angry:

liquid8

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #856 on: May 04, 2006, 12:59:55 am »
 :)
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Re: Mission Control Project - Navpanel cavalcade of pics
« Reply #857 on: May 04, 2006, 01:18:33 am »
Well typical for this project, I had to do this several times before I got it right.

The basic idea was to create a plastic inlay in walnut. I wanted the result to look as though the artwork overlay were embedded in the wood. I used an inlay bit in a router to cut the pieces using the templates as a guide. There's a good description of how this works here http://www.newwoodworker.com/rotrinlays.html

To quote (for the lazy) A small diameter bit passes through a small collar, much like a normal guide bushing setup. The trick part is a removable bushing that fits on the collar. When installed, the bushing positions the bit to cut the recess for the inlay. Remove the bushing and the bit is now correctly located to cut the outline of the inlay, sized perfectly to fit the recess.

The walnut came out beautifully on the first try. The plastic however was far more difficult for me... I went through 3 pieces by the time I was done.

First failure: Attempting to cut plastic in one pass resulted in pretty stuttery router control. Probably could've been salvaged except for where I pushed away from a curve in the template and about 1/2" into the inlay. ARRGH. $15 down the drain and downtime waiting for a chance to work on it again.

Second failure: Being an idiot, I tried to cut the plastic in a single pass again. This time the trail of fused plastic  and incomplete depth of cut in a couple of places caused chipping when I removed the cutout. Didn't really matter since I had forgotten to remove the removable bushing and had cut the inlay way too small. Another $15 gone and more downtime.

On the third time I cut the plastic in multiple passes.  I also decided not to risk cutting the right angles at the bottom and modified the jig to use 45 deg angles there instead. This looks much nicer from a design standpoint anyway.The melting/fusing problem was eliminated and the clear, shallow path made handling the curves waaaaaay easier.

Here is the template and walnut ready for the first cut, you can see the inlay bit and bushing in the router

Here is the walnut after the first router pass

...and after removing the inner area of the recess.

Here is the jig modification

And the final routed walnut and plastic inlay

This is the setup for cutting the DVD slot

And the slot cut

Fixing unevenness in the slot

Bullnosing the edge with a 1/8" dremmel bit

And polishing the bullnosed edge.

Finished inlay. So tight it's damn near impossible to get the plastic out once seated. The plastic still needs quite a bit of polishing.

The final panel trimmed to sized will look about like this

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 02:38:42 am by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #858 on: May 04, 2006, 04:14:16 am »
That looks amazing. Great job, as always.

Thanks for the update. I always love seeing your work.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #859 on: May 04, 2006, 07:25:57 am »
That looks bloody great.

Put me down for one of your crazy mags.

Living the delusional lifestyle.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #860 on: May 04, 2006, 09:41:39 am »
MOST EXCELLENT!!

I've always thought the neatest thing about your cabinet was the NAV panel with the custom artwork in the buttons.  I really like it.

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #861 on: May 04, 2006, 02:34:24 pm »

Some nifty router work there...nice job. This panel was my favorite part of your concept too.  :)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #862 on: May 04, 2006, 03:08:15 pm »
Thanks everyone! It's really exciting for me to see it materializing.

The wood is still unfinished (stain only so far) and the overlay artwork is temporary.. printed out on my inkjet, Mr. Crappy... but I couldn't resist posting all this. There's really only a few more difficult structures to build before I can assemble the thing - the marquee "box" top and bottom, the minimarquee and the keyboard panel (also inlaid). After all this I'm hoping that stuff won't be very hard. Oh, and I still have to build a bracket to hold the slimline DVD drive on the back of this. Anyone know of any cheap slimline drive brackets that'd do the trick?
Project mega thread HERE

iamnaeth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2018, 02:42:59 pm
« Reply #863 on: May 04, 2006, 03:55:11 pm »
Hey all, I thought I should chime in here.  I had a chance to see the "Cabinet" first hand this past weekend.  I was out in LA bringing my fiance home (i'm from VA) and I thought I'd bug Pixelhugger.  The control panel and this latest panel look amazing.  The inlay and woodworking were topnotch.  He also showed me what a wico joystick looked like.... yeah I'm a microswitch kid!  The sides of the cabinet are TALL...like 7' tall.  All in all, its going to look gorgeous when its done. 

PS:  I don't know if this is anywhere else on the forums but you all should should pester him for a picture of his garage floor....

Nate

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #864 on: May 04, 2006, 05:51:06 pm »
Hey Nate!

Yeah, it was really fun being able to talk shop in person... Next time you're out this way I'm hoping to have the thing actually playable.  :laugh2: Then you can experience the MUSHY-FU fighting style of the leaf switch Wico's... mebbe then I'd stand a chance since I generally suck at fighters.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #865 on: May 07, 2006, 05:01:26 pm »
No slimline drive PC mounting bracket suggestions?? There's gotta be PC case modders here who've got ideas/recommendations!  :P I'm looking for something that'll screw/bolt to the drive.. mebbe a cage of some sort that I can then screw/glue/mount to the back of the wooden nav panel.
Project mega thread HERE

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #866 on: May 08, 2006, 10:45:21 am »
So...Lets see the garage floor Pixel. :D
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #867 on: May 08, 2006, 03:06:07 pm »
He's got a mockup of the floor back on page 7 but never posted any finished pics  >:(
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #868 on: May 08, 2006, 03:11:41 pm »
I swear he posted pics one time.... seach harder  :)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #869 on: May 08, 2006, 09:25:10 pm »
He's got a mockup of the floor back on page 7 but never posted any finished pics  >:(

Man, I thought I had! Just searched the entire thread and... nothing.

So here they are. Not as over the top as the mockup with all the blue, but I love it.

Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2006, 09:30:00 pm »
I swear he posted pics one time.... seach harder  :)

This thread needs a TOC.  ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2006, 09:51:06 pm »
I know for sure I saw those pics before... unless you emailed them to me before or something.. I am I the only one that remembers seeing these?? I can't find them with the search function either.  Wierd.

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #872 on: May 09, 2006, 08:06:48 am »
I know for sure I saw those pics before... unless you emailed them to me before or something.. I am I the only one that remembers seeing these?? I can't find them with the search function either.  Wierd.

I remember seeing them, too.  Here's my theory..

Pixel gets a lot of  :censored: for not posting new updates..  So, now, he's resorted to removing OLD updates, allowing him to REPOST old pics, adeptly removing our attention from the fact that there's no progress...   ;D

JUST KIDDING, PH!!  I just want to see more progress pics!   :notworthy:

:)

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #873 on: May 09, 2006, 10:02:33 am »
Flipping sweet!

I remember seeing the work in progress on the floor, good to see the final pics.

Now he's got to finish the walls...
Half of the people you meet are below average.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #874 on: May 09, 2006, 10:53:22 am »
THAT IS SO SICK!!!!!!

Now, I know you did not have marbke cut for a garage, so how did you pull that off?

:applaud:    :applaud:    :applaud:    :applaud:
M    Y    X

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #875 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:42 pm »
Flipping sweet!

I remember seeing the work in progress on the floor, good to see the final pics.

Now he's got to finish the walls...

No , don't get him  going on the walls !!!  I wanna see more cab progress pics  :hissy:
Don't want to see the cab  pushed back any farther...I'm now reading of a probable book also....?  :'(

;D ;D ;D

Heyas Pix in case no one has mentined it yet, you got a beautiful cab in the works  :D

mj147

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #876 on: May 09, 2006, 01:13:11 pm »
Everything looks spectacular! :applaud:  Question:  Shouldn't you be designing statues for a local school, or making pieces of art or something?  That craftsmanship is on the next level.  Like you may want to consider making some stuff level. :notworthy:

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #877 on: May 09, 2006, 01:27:51 pm »
THAT IS SO SICK!!!!!!

Now, I know you did not have marbke cut for a garage, so how did you pull that off?

I projected the logo from inside the garage attic with a cheapo plastic art tracing projector. Then I hand cut the logo with a 4" angle grinder. My friend ground the cement and polished it with his fancy cement polishing equipment which is what makes it look so cool. That was 99% of the work. He also stained/dyed the artwork and cut the border with a cool little sled mounted grinder (to keep the lines straight). One of the best things about the floor is that sawdust doesn't stick to it and it doesn't "sweat" gritty garage floor cement silt into the shop!
Project mega thread HERE

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #878 on: May 09, 2006, 03:50:54 pm »
Your gonna bust your ass on that floor :P ;D

I want need a book.

The plastic and walnut work look just great! I still can't believe that you are hand polishing that stuff though... hard work that is. You do make this stuff look much easier than it is in reality you know ;)

On the CD mounting, I usually just hack up old PC cases for my mounts. Cutting out the section that I need and then re-forming the mounting tabs to fit my app. Once it fits I just roll the sharp edges and pretty it up with some paint or whatever. Never bothered to look for a pre-fit method. I'm sure this is less than helpful...

Bacon.

reptilehead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2007, 08:41:46 pm
  • eh... I've got 9 fingers left to do it right....
« Reply #879 on: May 09, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »
No slimline drive PC mounting bracket suggestions?? There's gotta be PC case modders here who've got ideas/recommendations!  :P I'm looking for something that'll screw/bolt to the drive.. mebbe a cage of some sort that I can then screw/glue/mount to the back of the wooden nav panel.

I dunno if you thought about this,or if it would work, but how about universal CB mounting brackets, they look like little peices of angle iron, they screw into the sides of a CB then onto the dashboard(or ceiling) of a vehicle. Hell I probably have about 200 around here somewhere, I've owned my fair share of CBs and cobras come with these cheesy little ones that could work for your aplication, but I'm not about to mount a 5 lb Cb from the roof directly over my right temple from those so I go out and buy the BIG one! Any truck stop would have em, and they cost less than 10 bucks.
Build it and they will come, destroy it and they will come to watch. That's a win/win situation!