Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which logo do you prefer for the final artwork? (see page 32)

I like the original (ver. 1)
I like the new (ver. 2)

Author Topic: Mission Control Project: 5 years on, what to do with the leftovers?  (Read 552644 times)

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
Re: Mission Control Project - CONSTRUCTION! Marquee Jig complete - photo update
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2005, 08:54:31 am »
I hadn't realized how dramatic the angles would be. Cool. 

Now I have something to point to when my kids are asking "When am I ever going to use this Geometry stuff in real life?"

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:47:08 pm
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2005, 10:03:52 am »
Now I have something to point to when my kids are asking "When am I ever going to use this Geometry stuff in real life?"

Ha! Absolutely.  ;D I've spent the last two days wishing someone had better pointed that out to me when I asked. It may not look like much geometrically but it threw me a number of curve balls both when designing it and building it. But then, l maybe that's because I've forgotten just about everything I learned in HS geometry.  :-\
Project mega thread HERE

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2005, 10:29:56 am »
Panels installed. Already looming nicely. These will give the plastic a surface to rest against when being bent.  Should make bending a lot easier and more accurate since they follow the planes defined by the 18 degree vertical angles and the 41 degree horizontals.

Not sure if that was an appropriate use of the "new" police smiley... please advise.

Before you get too far into this (hopefully), did you take into account the thickness of those panels installed?  What I mean is, do you have the dimensions of where this is going, and did adding those panels just screw up the final product you're making by 1/8" or was that accounted for?

And for someone so creative, I can't believe such poor use of the police smiley.  PAIGE uses the police smiley to better effect than you!  Makes me wonder if your WIFE isn't the one giving you all the idears, and you're just the wood jockey!  ;)
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2005, 02:45:53 pm »
Astute observation Drew! Yes, it does take the 1/8" into account, but in a backwards sort of way. I had originally designed the plans so that the plastic would ride along the edge of the plywood. In that case I was going to mount boards running vertically (flush) between the plywood to act as braces. I think that may be shown in a sketch earlier in the thread. That would have required a bunch more cutting and measuring so I figured it would be easier, faster, and actually more accurate to simply tack the 1/8" panels along the plywood. Rather than back the additional 1/8th out of all the CAD files, I decided to simply change the thickness of the plexi I plan on using for the inner face of the marquee. So I'll use 1/4" for the outer plexi and 1/8" instead of 1/4"  for the inner.

Next photos will probably be of a "test bend" or rather test fold using posterboard. This will allow me to (finally!) determine the actual dimensions of the plexi sheet I'll need. (Since the sides will toenail inwards as they are bent down, the sheet will need to be considerably taller than the vertical dimension of the marquee. It will also allow me to determine the angle I'll need to cant the artwork on the side panels.... since the marquee printout will get bent/folded along the 3 planes, I'll need to compensate for that in the layout. So the art on the sides will be angled in the printout and will level out when folded into position. Not sure if I'm explaining that well... it'll be clear on the posterboard though. I also need to attach a "clamping tab" at the 18 degree angle of the front plane so I have something I clamp the plexi against while bending. I'll bend the inner sheet first. Then, leaving it in place on the jig, I'll bend the outer piece over the top of it. This will ensure that they spoon well together. ;) Of course the entire process involves liberal use of fire, so as far as this thread goes, those pics should be second only in cool to June + family's plasma jet cutter.

In laws will be here this weekend so I may not (probably won't) get to the plastic until... .um.... next week - which is KILLIN' me. But I will definitely get pics of the posterboard test (yeah, yeah I know... yawn) up by tomorrow, so you can see what I'm rambling on about.

And Drew, you forgot to advise about the proper use of the policeman. You've left me just as likely to misuse it in future posts!

Rain and other jobs have slowed my friend's progress on the floor grinding/poishing. He had hoped to have it done by tomorrow, but now it looks like its another week away. If there is enough tolerance for going OT on it, I'll post mock up pics of different color options for the logo and put it to a vote.... any interest?
Project mega thread HERE

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2005, 05:25:41 pm »

Rain and other jobs have slowed my friend's progress on the floor grinding/poishing. He had hoped to have it done by tomorrow, but now it looks like its another week away. If there is enough tolerance for going OT on it, I'll post mock up pics of different color options for the logo and put it to a vote.... any interest?

Um...hellooooooo?  Bueller?  8 fricken pages in a thread and NOT ALL the posts are yours.  What do YOU think?!?  I can't even believe you felt you had to ask if there'd be any interest!  Someone pass me a wet noodle, Pixel needs a flogging!

Astute observation Drew!

It had NOTHING to do with my mental prowess, it had more to do with the fact that I've built jigs to ensure things go together myself....and you can prolly infer what happened  :'( 

Your description of it is crystal clear in my mind....I just had this mental image when I saw your jig where you messed it up and had to build the rest of the entire cabinet around that 1/8" mistake!  I've built jigs that took longer than the actual project, and lemme tell ya, I tried to do just that to save myself the headache of building another ::)

And Drew, you forgot to advise about the proper use of the policeman. You've left me just as likely to misuse it in future posts!

On your first use, you must use at least two, unless you state your intentions are to use it as much as possible in all future posts, ala Paige.  If this is your second (and beyond) post, you must use as many as possible in order to determine if Dark Kobold can tolerate your usage of the police smiley.  If it seems he can, add 5 more to your previous total until you evoke a comment from him.  After he comments, you may use them at will, in whatever fashion you wish.

Hope that cleared it up for ya ;)

Someone should make those usage directions a sticky  ;) ;D

ras2a

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 02:21:26 pm
  • I drink, therefore I am!
    • Nolij
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2005, 10:11:35 am »
Not checked your project for a while Pix, but things are looking pretty damn awesome ! 

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2005, 02:24:21 pm »
Not checked your project for a while Pix, but things are looking pretty damn awesome !

i'm not exactly sure what your talkin about, since he's only made a jig for this "@!#?@!" cab so far....and if ya wanna cheat, i guess he made some holes in the floor for it too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 02:26:22 pm by Flinkly »

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2005, 04:46:48 am »
Let us have a look at some statistics.

At this moment this topic has had 12024 reads.

I have probably read this topic from start to finish maybe 3 times. I have also glanced through several times looking at the pics and reading the odd comment. I figure I have
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 04:49:34 am by BrokenBones1 »

Living the delusional lifestyle.

ras2a

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 02:21:26 pm
  • I drink, therefore I am!
    • Nolij
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2005, 12:29:43 pm »

i'm not exactly sure what your talkin about, since he's only made a jig for this "@!#?@!" cab so far....and if ya wanna cheat, i guess he made some holes in the floor for it too.  maybe when he gets around to the shell of the cab, we can start commenting on the coolness of his idea, but until then, we must barrel down on him and drive him crazy with sarcastic comments in order to envoke the building process.

Im just generalising with regards to sweet floor design etc...as this is included in the 'project' :) - But yeah we don't expect anything less than something truly out of this world for the actual cab, now (",).

Craig

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2005, 01:49:34 pm »
oh man I almost feel bad for pixel hugger now--over 12,000 views awaiting his cabinet--it will have to be supercalifragilistcexpealidocious now  :D  of course considering his talents he could make it completely virtual and none of us plebes would know it...
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #290 on: February 24, 2005, 10:42:24 pm »
Come on Pixel, I know you have already bent the first piece of posterboard by now.  Get with the postin.  :)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2005, 05:42:09 pm »
Yeah, several times. And I was very surprized to see how little the artwork needs to be canted to align properly.. which is a good thing.

Haven't posted any pics since I didn't think anyone would be very interested. I think most people are waiting for the frame of the cabinet. :-\
Project mega thread HERE

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2005, 07:17:59 pm »
Yeah but you can still take photos for the website.  ;)  You and I have both talked about how important that is.  So get to it.  :)

TheDudeVT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2005, 12:45:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pixelhugger- I've got an idea for ya!

Make a list of the top ten posters on your thread, or ask for ten volunteers.

generate CAD drawings of ten parts (small enough to fit in the mail)

send CAD drawings to top ten "friends of MCP"

Wait two weeks

Receive parts, post construction pics

Rinse, Repeat

I realize this takes all the fun out of it for you, it's really meant in jest. I'm sure you really don't need the charity but you've got an awful lot of people out here wishing we could just stop by your fancy new garage on the way home from work and give you a hand.

Good luck, and finish the dang project will ya? I can't post about my MCP clone till you're done....

TheDudeVT

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Holy frijoles, I just noticed that you started this thread November 08, 2003!  :o

Wienerdog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 06:28:51 am
  • If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
It seems like it started in 1983...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:50:11 am by Wienerdog »
This opinion was created from 100% post consumed information.

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
You guys are brutal. :)

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm

Haven't posted any pics since I didn't think anyone would be very interested. I think most people are waiting for the frame of the cabinet. :-\

I can only speak for myself, but I'm interested in any progress pics. I read through this thread a couple times a month, and check it every day for updates. There are probably more than you think who are following your cab as closely if not closer than I am. Personally I find your attention to detail to be inspiring. I rushed through a lot of my cab and wish I would have stopped to plan some things out a little more carefully.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the support guys! Both backhanded and otherwise.
Project mega thread HERE

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
i guess the easter bunny never visited pixel this year...i was really hoping to see this come to life, too.

so since your not building it, care to give up some pdf plans?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
OK I definitely deserved that one!
Project mega thread HERE

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
You need to adopt my philosophy, under-promise, over-deliver.

If I were you I would say "This cabinet is scheduled for completion in late 2007, though if the stars align preoperly I could complete in late 2006."

Then when you are able to make small spurts of progress this year, people will be happy.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Re: Mission Control Project - CONSTRUCTION! Plastic bending test
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2005, 10:02:22 pm »
There seems to be some misconception that the project is currently on hold. That has never been further from the truth.

There are two stages to the construction that have always been something of an unknown for me, so I've spent huuuuge amounts of time planning and replanning them. The first is the marquee construction, because I'm not very used to working with plastic and the marquee requires extremely precise bending at a couple of compound angles.... which requires geometry... another thing I'm not used to working with ;) (The second intimidating stage is forming and following the curvature of the sides).

So making the jig was the first big breakthrough for me. Until now I wasn't 100% sure it would actually work as needed.

On sunday I bent plastic on the marquee jig for the first time to test its design and make sure it would actually work as planned... which it did, to my huge relief.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2005, 10:03:35 pm »
You can do this with any marquee but.....
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2005, 10:04:21 pm »
...it takes a multi-sided marquee to do this.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:49 pm »
The blue tape indicates the actual trim size of the final plastic for the marquee. It will be mounted at an angle similar to that shown here, which will increase it's looming-nosity.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2005, 10:16:47 pm »
Plastic Bending Factoid of the Day:

This update was due to a member's request for plans since he thought I had put the project on hold. I won't be releasing the construction drawings and cad files until this summer when I hope to be close to finished (if not done) with the basic construction. On a related note.. for those who have contacted me about getting the plans, I expect the build to be fairly difficult and expensive. So to make it easier, I'm considering offering to bend marquees to the project's specifications for free (not including the plastic and shipping). Any interest? Because I'd be using the jig to do so, I wouldn't be able to modify or customize dimensions at all, so the cabinet would have to follow the "original" Mission Control dimensions in every way related to the space for the marquee.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:19:32 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2005, 10:32:42 pm »
You can do this with any marquee but.....

I don't get it.  Put blue tape on it?  What?  Are we supposed to see something that DOESN'T look out of the ordinary?  ;)

Hey, just a question for ya, why did you decide to bend the marquee plexi instead of cutting it and gluing it together?  That's what I had originally envisioned when I saw your marquee, and with heat, you were chancing introducing bubbles, which you may have, I dunno, I can't tell with that gaping maw distracting me ;D

Yeah, actually, I'd like for you to bend one for me.....so I can complete mine before you get yours done! ;)

Seriously, I really like the way that turned out.  Lemme know why you chose that way, though, because it's bugging me now!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2005, 10:49:32 pm »
Glued joints would have been too visible for what I had in mind. Just a personal preference. I wanted the same look as the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace marquees with a smooth uniterrupted face.

As far as bubbles go... not a one. At all. No crazing (interior stretch mark cracks) either. I haven't looked at it with a jewelers loop yet (which I won't do - learned my lesson with that while shopping for my wife's wedding ring), but there are absolutely no visible imperfections in the bend other than some wavy light distortion due to a bit of bulging in the center. I'll take care of that in the final bend by clamping a metal yardstick along the edge to ensure an more even bend.

You're absolutely right though in expecting that IMO. Another reason for a test. I was very concerned about heating an angle evenly. I was sure the thing was gonna catch on fire and melt. I had to double fist two propane torches to heat both faces of the plastic at once.

As I've told a few people... it sounded like the deck of an aircraft carrier in my workshop. I'll have pictures of that when I do the final bend.  8)
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2005, 11:08:04 pm »
Not sure if this helps see the detail in the edge, DK. Higher res pic, open outside browser to see full size.

There are quite a few scratches and even some small holes in the plastic as it was salvaged to use as scrap.
Project mega thread HERE

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2005, 11:34:04 pm »
Actually, I can see perfectly the effect when looking at that chair through the plexi, excellent!

I think you're right, besides, thinking about it some more, the inside angle might be pretty hard to clear up, and I'd hate to think of the time gluing those angles and then goofing up because your heat got too close to clear up the cut/glue line :o

You used propane torches - do you think a heat gun would work?  Dunno how hot mine gets, but 1500w or 2000w seems to be going off in the back of my head.  I know I've stripped lino tile with it and no burning with one of the attachment nozzles....mebbe some weekend fun will be in the works!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2005, 11:43:49 pm »
do you think a heat gun would work?

I think that's how its usually done. The plastic needs to reach 450 deg to become pliable. It should bend on its own without any pushing or pressure at all.

I've bent lexan of the same thickness with a single torch for an aquarium and it worked just as well. I was concerned that with the longer distance to cover and the angle that I'd be bending, I'd need two torches to maintain even heat. Of course... it's always cool to say the word's "double fist two blow torches" so that was at least partially responsible for the decision.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:47:34 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2005, 12:06:05 am »
HOLY CRAP!  No, I mean REALLY!  HOLY CRAP!

I have been checking out www.garf.org and other assorted similar sites, but I have always liked the "look" of a bowfront tank....yet wanted to build my own.....it just dawned on me when you brought up aquariums that I could do a form and bend the stuff recommended for a tank!  It'd prolly take a bit longer, since it's so dang much thicker, but still, ideas!

You're brilliant without even knowing at WHAT!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2005, 12:14:01 am »
Hopefully the radius of the bow will allow you to cold bend it... there's a formula online somewhere for that
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:34:52 am by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

dema

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2014, 03:05:34 am
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2005, 01:34:43 am »
Dude, with every update your project gets cooler and cooler. You are truly a wizard when it comes to designing the perfect cabinet, and your attention to detail is amazing!  I can't wait to see what's next.

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2005, 04:29:42 am »
Wow! Nice bend! I just got done attempting to bend some plexi for my cab and am quite displeased with the results. After looking over what you have done, it looks like I will need some sort of jig too. How well/quickly does a torch heat the plexi? I was using a heat gun and it took forever.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #316 on: April 18, 2005, 11:33:59 am »
I was talking with a friend at work the other day about lexan.  He said that stuff is "friggin' indestructible".  He used to work in a sign shop and said they used to bend it in their press without using any heat.

Just thought I'd mention it.  Not sure if it means anything to you or not.  But at least now we know you don't need the heat.

Darryl

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: April 18, 2005, 11:48:01 am »
@Tahnok - took about a minute for each bend. I was using two torches, though... the bottom torch had a regular nozzle.... about 1/2" ("pencil") flame. The top torch had a little spreader attachment on it to spread the flame out to couple inches wide.

@ dphirschler - Yeah, lexan can be cold bent which is a big advantage. However it depends on the radius you're bending and the thickness of the stock. I could never have applied enough force to bend these angles on the jig, though even if I could I'm fairly sure it would have snapped or cracked. At 1/4" thick you need a much larger radius to cold bend, I believe. Though it sounds like you're friend is a whole lot more experienced than I am, so I defer.  :P
Project mega thread HERE

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2005, 03:46:19 pm »
Prolly not as fun as two-fisting two blow torches either.

Darryl

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
Re: Mission Control Project - CONSTRUCTION! The $84.63 update
« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2005, 08:17:11 pm »
where is this 84 dollar update...?