Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which logo do you prefer for the final artwork? (see page 32)

I like the original (ver. 1)
I like the new (ver. 2)

Author Topic: Mission Control Project: 5 years on, what to do with the leftovers?  (Read 547894 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
Re:Mission Control Project Launched - Pics inside
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2004, 04:26:44 pm »
I'm moving forward, though slowly. Been sidetracked lately in the artwork forum helping out on others' projects. Then there's work, the remodel at home, and the new baby coming in June. AAAAARGH. Never enough time! I'm in the process of making the 3 sided marquee and will post pictures soon. The website should launch in may or june.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 04:27:18 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2004, 04:39:27 pm »
I'm moving forward, though slowly. Been sidetracked lately in the artwork forum helping out on others' projects. Then there's work, the remodel at home, and the new baby coming in June. AAAAARGH. Never enough time! I'm in the process of making the 3 sided marquee and will post pictures soon. The website should launch in may or june.

Whats a "3 sided marquee" again ???

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2004, 04:46:56 pm »
Like Dragon's Lair or Space Ace. There are 3 faces to the marquee similar to a bay window. From a bird's eye view, it would be shaped like half of a hexagon, if that makes sense.
Project mega thread HERE

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2013, 06:14:06 am
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2004, 05:40:21 pm »
awesome...love the cab shape!  :o

don't have any sideart! the polished wood finish is wonderful. very understated - pure class.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 05:44:41 pm by rchadd »

dema

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2014, 03:05:34 am
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2004, 06:56:44 pm »
Out of curiosity, how are you going to attach the back of the cabinet? Obviously the curve to the back makes things more difficult? Are you going to cut several pieces of wood, use a different material, or just use a single piece and fit it as well as possible?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2004, 07:17:10 pm »
I've thought a lot about that. It'll definitely follow the curve of the cab. It's likely to be a thin sheet of plywood. Or several thin sheets "built up" and recessed in a rabbet along the back. If the plywood won't work I may use 1/8" MDF covered with very fine gauge sheet metal which should look good with the metal details I plan for the front of the cab. I'm still working on how to integrate access into the back. Worst case scenario, I'll have to use 3 separate pieces, with an access panel in the middle, although I'd really prefer to follow the entire curve more precisely than that.
Project mega thread HERE

dema

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2004, 07:33:59 pm »
I've thought a lot about that. It'll definitely follow the curve of the cab. It's likely to be a thin sheet of plywood. Or several thin sheets "built up" and recessed in a rabbet along the back. If the plywood won't work I may use 1/8" MDF covered with very fine gauge sheet metal which should look good with the metal details I plan for the front of the cab. I'm still working on how to integrate access into the back. Worst case scenario, I'll have to use 3 separate pieces, with an access panel in the middle, although I'd really prefer to follow the entire curve more precisely than that.

If you make your access in the front of the cabinet you could always install the 5/8 or 3/4 mdf for support and then use the thin plywood or metal that you mentioned. The plywood/metal wouldn't have to support the rest of the unit then. The thicker pieces would give it extra support and the thinner material would give it the aesthetic look you're going for. Just an idea.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2004, 07:39:13 pm »
Just an idea.
...and a very good one. :)
Project mega thread HERE

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2004, 08:22:18 pm »
First off, wonderful cabinet. I am looking forward to following your progress. Just one question about the control panel overlay. If you are using buttons with little people on them, is it the best use of text to put Player 1 and Player 2 over them? Perhaps start or something like that. Just a very minor point. You do great work!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2004, 08:51:27 pm »
Hmmmmmm.... another good point. I guess simply START would be sufficient.
Project mega thread HERE

Cabless

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2004, 08:59:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2004, 12:51:59 am »
Hello There.

Your cab really caught my attention and I just joined so I could say "WOW!".

I hope you build it.  And then I hope you share plans so us cabless types can gain some inspiration and benefit from your expertise.

You seem to have found the 'look' I've always tried to describe and doodle for myself!  

Like you said... You want to feel like you're that 12 year old playing again.  EXACTLY.

Kudos.  Best of luck getting it built.

One comment on the control panel.. I don't think you need two 'insert coin' buttons.. maybe one could be 'menu' to take you back to Emulaxian (my favorite front end as well).

Thanks for sharing your idea so far!

-CabLess

Luxury

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2006, 01:21:59 pm
  • Unfortunately It's True. :(
    • arcadeZERO
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2004, 01:53:50 pm »
where are the speakers going to go?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2004, 02:19:42 pm »
The speakers go in the top behind the marquee lighting. Though it's pretty hard to see in the images I posted, the black section indicated by the arrow below is speaker fabric.

Cabless- Thanks! And welcome to arguably one of the best communities on the net - IMHO.  ;D

Regarding the Emulaxian menu button... I'll actually have an entire control strip mounted above the CP for Emulaxian navigation. I'm still trying to decide what dedicated buttons/Emulaxian functions to use on it tho. Any input would be appreciated. I want the cab and FE navigation to be as self explanatory as possible for newbies, so I don't have to explain the same things over and over.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 02:20:41 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2004, 03:50:14 pm »
What about labeling the buttons using either Happs ID tags or Labeling the button it's self and use Happs Protective Covers.

That way you can label each button like Genesis, SNES, NES, Arcade, Neo-Geo, Pinball, ect.

Or you could label each button with a function.... (Search, A-L, M-Z, Page Up, Page, Down)

You also wouldn't have to make a skin with a Tag pointing at each button, but a skin with generic instructions on using the buttons...

Just kind of an idea....
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2004, 04:01:33 pm »
That way you can label each button like Genesis, SNES, NES, Arcade, Neo-Geo, Pinball, ect.

That's a great idea... I hadn't thought of using them to access other emulator lists/sets. I was thinking of using the square illuminated Happs buttons on the control strip and printing artwork to put inside them. (I've become an backlightaholic).

Dedicated buttons for the different emulators would let me use the original logos... hmmmm. That'd look really cool.

DOH! Now I've got to make more room on the control strip.
Project mega thread HERE

dema

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2004, 04:07:44 pm »
What about labeling the buttons using either Happs ID tags or Labeling the button it's self and use Happs Protective Covers.

Or you could label each button with a function.... (Search, A-L, M-Z, Page Up, Page, Down)

You also wouldn't have to make a skin with a Tag pointing at each button, but a skin with generic instructions on using the buttons...

Just kind of an idea....

Emulaxian allows you to use buttons to switch between emulators? Wow, that's a great feature. It's a shame Mamewah doesn't do that. I've spent the past several weeks putting stuff together for that.

I love the idea of backlighting the buttons and putting the logo on the button...fricking sweet!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2004, 05:01:39 pm »
I finally got a decent camera position in Lightwave to show what the 3 sided marquee really looks like. Whenever I explain this to people I usually get a "huh?" Hopefully this illustrates the design better. Of course, to get this cool joystick's-eye-view perspective on the cab you'd have to flatten the side of your face against the control panel and roll your eyes back in your skull to stare up at the marquee, but at least it shows the 3 sides. And the speaker grille.  :P
Project mega thread HERE

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2004, 01:46:57 pm »

Just kind of an idea....

Emulaxian allows you to use buttons to switch between emulators? Wow, that's a great feature. It's a shame Mamewah doesn't do that. I've spent the past several weeks putting stuff together for that.

I love the idea of backlighting the buttons and putting the logo on the button...fricking sweet!

Not sure on that function specifically, we'll have to ask Peter, but you hit a button to launch a game, or switch gamelists, so the premise is the same.

BTW...I'm glad you like the Idea Mitch, because I love the Idea of a "Control Strip" and was going to ask if it was cool to use something similar on my cab, but now I don't feel so bad since I have kind of inspired you on what I was going to do with mine  ;D  Oh, yeah wanted to tell you got my hat, it rules...THX :)
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2004, 03:28:23 pm »
Dont' worry about asking my permission. It's not mine to give! I thought I was the first to think of it until I saw PedroSilva was well underway with his idea here ....apparently a ways before I had even thought of mine. It's that old collective subconscious Jungian sychronicity convergent evolution thing.

Glad to hear you like the hat! ;D

Project update: worked on cabinet plans and m_ctl website flowchart this morning. Apart from the PDF of the basic plans which I'll be posting on my website (when it finally launches) I'm thinking of providing a free (well, cost of media+shippping) DVD-R of the plans with high resolution photos, 3D models and renderings, all the artwork files, front end files and skin (if OK with Peter ;)) and how-to video clips (especially for the convoluted marquee bending and jig making procedures) Is there enough interest in this to make it worthwhile for me to do?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 03:34:53 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

dema

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2004, 09:19:20 pm »
... how-to video clips (especially for the convoluted marquee bending and jig making procedures) ...

I haven't looked into it but wouldn't you be able to buy a Dragon's Lair or Space Ace marquee and use that with a new underlay? I'm not sure how they are put together so this could be a worthless suggestion.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2004, 09:33:03 pm »
The design is a much different aspect ratio. Plus, bending plexi is fun since it involves fire. ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2004, 03:23:19 am »
Looks like things are finally coming together, can't wait to see this one ;D....have you decided what your going to do with the "Command Bar" yet? or which buttons to use?
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

greywolf22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2020, 12:45:06 am
  • My cab is always a work in progress
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2004, 07:58:33 pm »
WOW Pixel, this is really coming together great.  I really like your design.  

Matt, GoC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2005, 02:00:07 am
  • Must... stop... itching!!!
    • GameOn!
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2004, 02:43:39 am »
I was thinking of joining this forum for a while now so I could announce my project, but after seeing this absolute work-of-art, I decided to join immediately (I think that's how you spell that...).  This is awesome, dude! :o  I thought mine was going to be neat looking, but this just blows mine away, and I'm happy about saying that!  It has a very retro look, and the form reminds me of those shapes they use on Nick-at-Nite.

Good Luck!

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2004, 02:25:21 am »
PH.....any progress???
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Bumblebounces

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2016, 07:57:28 pm
  • I ever tell ya 'bout Bumbles? Bumbles...BOUNCE!
    • Starbase 74
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2004, 11:39:46 pm »
Mission Control was the name of my favorite arcade as a kid.

Ha!  I had a place in my neighborhood called Space Shuttle.  As far as I know, it's a Radio Shack now but it was a good sized arcade.  Man, if I had a nickel for every quarter I dropped in machines in that place, my mame cab project would have been FREE.

But in all seriousness, your cab design is way cool (wow, typing that made me feel like I was back in the 80's).   Cannot wait to see how the actual machine materializes.  Keep us posted.

Bumble

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2004, 11:27:44 am »
This is the nicest machine I've seen...very clean, nice lines, great art and design. Marquee shape...well done.
5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com

blue

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2006, 12:41:40 pm
  • up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right BABA ...
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2004, 05:10:08 pm »
I think its amazing that you guys can commit something to paper and then turn it into the actual thing.
This is amazing, can't wait to see it.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2004, 04:12:09 pm »
Well, while some may not consider this *progress* I thought I'd post a quick update to show my commitment to this project despite the lack of construction so far.

Completed a major revision to final 3D model for a subtle change in the appearance of the cab. When seen head on in my modeling app, the cab just wasn't "looming" like I wanted, so I canted the sides slightly inward toward the bottom so the top of the cab...the marquee in particular... feels a bit more characiture like and exaggerated. Model is now officially ready to transfer to actual construction drawings/joint details etc.... the final blue prints!! Now to make sure it's actually stable! :-[

I have spent a long time detailing the navigation panel (below the monitor) and laying out button positions. I'll be using Happs medium round illuminated buttons with my custom created Mission Control icons and graphics inside. )P( has uber-generously agreed to modify Emulaxian and provide me with an exe to support direct emulator selection via keystroke, so I can map buttons to each of the consoles I'll be running. See attached pic for a quick button mockup!

Construction will being in the next week or two! The nav-panel will be the first thing built as it requires huge amounts of detailing work... bullnose plexi etc. Pics coming soon. Even in it's rough layout form it's looking super cool... almost dashboard like. I'll be swiping Citizen Fish's idea of a PC Tachometer which measures CPU activitiy on a car tach. This should help further the dashboard look as well.

I've been doing a ton of commissioned graphics work and the results of that labor are now arriving. Yesterday I got 2 T-stick plus' with blue ball tops, quiet switches, and an ArcadeVGA card, today UPS came with a monitor bezel, round illuminated buttons, and a coin door with blue reject switches and quarter/token combo mechs. I am posting this not so much because anyone else will really care, but because I'm so excited to get going on this I can't sit still.... much less concentrate on WORK! I do consider all this progress... and hope it shows my fanatical obsession with completing this project - as these orders alone total over $400. Next comes the WG monitor, the PC, massive plexi sheets, blue cold cathode tubes, and wood wood wood.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 04:19:05 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2004, 04:43:34 pm »
Wow that button looks cool.  

All eyes are on this project so keep posting!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2004, 04:57:20 pm »
Wow that button looks cool.

Thanks in large part to you.  :) Santoro rocks!

These buttons look fantastic in person. I'm so eager to see them all lit up it's taking first priority on the construction front.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2004, 05:26:13 pm »
....have you decided what your going to do with the "Command Bar" yet? or which buttons to use?

Yes. It will have buttons for the various Emulaxian navigation options, most of which will toggle between 2 settings:

3D Arcade View > List View (toggles btwn)
3D Mobile View > 3D Stationary View (toggles btwn)
Pick Game List
View favorite games > View all games (toggles btwn)
Game info/history

etc

It will also have buttons to switch immediately to a list of games for a particular emulator. So:

Atari 2600
Atari 5200 (?)
ColecoVision
Vectrex (?)
SNES
Genesis
Nintendo64
MAME

All of the buttons will have corresponding themed artwork printed on acetate (or mylar if I can afford it) and a consistent use of custom themed icons. The emulator direct select buttons will arch across the panel in a semi circle and the Emulaxian navigation buttons will flank them on either side. 3 blue cold cathode tubes will be recessed to protrude slightly from the plexi on each side to correspond with the "wing badge" 'semi-art-deco style' graphics (see CP graphics earlier in post)

The PC Tach with its beautiful chrome bezel will go top center above the arched buttons. The plexi protecting the art will be recessed into the wood and bullnosed so that the beveled edge extends just above the wood surface.
Project mega thread HERE

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2004, 06:36:50 pm »
sounds good mitch, yea we all can attest at the cost, only takes 1-2 items to start rackin up that $$$, the end results are worth the time my friend. Not to mention your smokin artsy-fartsy skills hehhehehe  ;D

dema

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2004, 07:43:42 pm »
I can't wait to see this thing, Pixel. Your ideas are going to make this even more impressive than the renderings already are. I love the idea of having the emulator buttons, and I think that will be a very convenient and cool-looking feature.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2004, 01:18:08 pm »
....have you decided what your going to do with the "Command Bar" yet? or which buttons to use?

Yes. It will have buttons for the various Emulaxian navigation options, most of which will toggle between 2 settings:

3D Arcade View > List View (toggles btwn)
3D Mobile View > 3D Stationary View (toggles btwn)
Pick Game List
View favorite games > View all games (toggles btwn)
Game info/history

etc

It will also have buttons to switch immediately to a list of games for a particular emulator. So:

Atari 2600
Atari 5200 (?)
ColecoVision
Vectrex (?)
SNES
Genesis
Nintendo64
MAME

All of the buttons will have corresponding themed artwork printed on acetate (or mylar if I can afford it) and a consistent use of custom themed icons. The emulator direct select buttons will arch across the panel in a semi circle and the Emulaxian navigation buttons will flank them on either side. 3 blue cold cathode tubes will be recessed to protrude slightly from the plexi on each side to correspond with the "wing badge" 'semi-art-deco style' graphics (see CP graphics earlier in post)

The PC Tach with its beautiful chrome bezel will go top center above the arched buttons. The plexi protecting the art will be recessed into the wood and bullnosed so that the beveled edge extends just above the wood surface.
do you have a new pic of the "command bar?"

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2004, 10:47:41 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize you were that far along!  Very interesting look, I imagine it fits into a home environment better than most designs.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2004, 02:51:46 am »
Hey Mitch.....those buttons look hella sweet!!!!

As far as the emu list goes....you forgot Daphne  :(

Gotta have those laserdisk games.....A MUST! How can you have a space theemed cab and not have Space Ace on it?!?!?   ;D

Anyway...looks fantastic and you mentioned a while back about a DVD-R with all the crazy things on it...you still plannin' on doin that?

Oh yeah....have you by chance considered going modular so you can swap out controls? If lack of artwork is a strike against, i've been toying around with the idea of actually making mini artwork pieces for each modular piece then sealing them somehow....or possibly cutting plexi in the same size as the panels and laying plexi over the top.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2004, 10:19:19 am »
Thanks Aceldamor! Yes I'll definitely be doing a DVD-R for anyone interested in the plans, models, art, etc. The plans themselves will be formal woodworking plans with complete joint details, angle measurements, procedure details and a construction plan... the whole 9 yards.... primarily because I don't trust my own ability to build something this complex without them and I think it would be a waste to put so much time into them only for them to be used once.

I did think about putting a Daphne button on there, but the only Laserdisc games I play are Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, and Cliff Hanger so it seems more practical to simply place models for those in the 3D arcade, or include them in the list of arcade games (even tho they don't rely on Mame). I may just buy the Digital Leisure versions since the picture quality is supposed to be amazing after having been remastered or retransfered (or something).

I also considered a rotating CP for quite some time, and have a ton of sketches to incorporate it. I decided against it, however, since it changed some of the cabinet proportions that were important to me and would have added a super-colossal amount of time to an already painfully slow construction process  :P  I haven't given much thought to alternatives like modular controls, but at the rate I'm going I'm sure I'll decide to switch course and incorporate them at the worst possible moment in the construction process!  ::)
Project mega thread HERE

mcdo15

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2008, 01:49:17 pm
  • why can't i make up my mind
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2004, 08:31:15 pm »
not sure if i missed this but what frontend are you running that you can just press a button, and bring up another systems list of games?  Thank you

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2004, 08:42:07 pm »
Emulaxian

While it currently doesn't support the assignment a keystroke to a specific gamelist, Peter - the FE's developer - has agreed to provide me with an exe that allows the assignment since he says it is an easy modification to make. WOO HOO! Of course it would be up to the user to create the list that the button would switch to. So in my case, I would create separate game lists for each console's ROMs and then assign each list to a keystroke.
Project mega thread HERE