Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: F-Zero AX found in F-Zero GX(cue xzibit pic)!!!  (Read 44575 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
F-Zero AX found in F-Zero GX(cue xzibit pic)!!!
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:25 am »
"Yo dawg....I heard you like arcade ports in yo home ports, so we put F-Zero AX in yo F-Zero GX!" Or something like that  :lol

This is pretty wild. Hackers have apparently found a way to unlock the FULL complete F-Zero AX Arcade Game hidden in the Gamecube version of F-Zero GX

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/hackers-find-f-zero-arcade-game-hidden-in-nintendo-gamecubes-f-zero-gx.html

With this revelation coupled with the ability to play the game with 100% full force feedback effects, you really DO have the arcade machine in your house literally!

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Re: F-Zero AX found in F-Zero GX(cue xzibit pic)!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:23 am »
Holy crap. Time to ebay a GC cheat device....
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:59:41 am »

"Yo dawg....I heard you like arcade ports in yo home ports, so we put F-Zero AX in yo F-Zero GX!"

Is the game shark emulated in dolphin?

If so, it should be possible to write a script to boot straight to the arcade version.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:11:12 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
How would you play it with force feedback effects?

Even if the full arcade version is in there, the gc only has a singular rumble motor.  A wheel was never released for the machine. 

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:55:02 pm »

Even if the full arcade version is in there, the gc only has a singular rumble motor.  A wheel was never released for the machine.

Logitech made one, I own it, http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speed-Nintendo-GameCube-Feedback/dp/B00006HMPP. Only compatible with a handful of games unfortunately.

Of course, GC cheat devices with input-able codes are ridiculously expensive online. Will have to keep my eyes opened for one at a resale shop.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »
That blows my mind. 

There weren't a whole lot of racers on the game cube that weren't kart racers. 

I much easier way would be to use a wii.... you can load gc isos now and cheat codes are supported.  Of course as badmouth suggested, you could emulate it via dolphin as well. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »
Is there a forum discussing this?  Because all I can find on the net is that youtube video. 

Color me a skeptic, but hey, I'm skeptical.  ;)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:48 am
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:46:34 pm »
I actually own a Wii and the F-Zero GX disc.  Can you plug a Logitech G27 into a Wii?  (I'm thinking no, but its got a USB port)

I've also go Dolphin working on my driving cabinet - I just don't have a working ISO (or .GC) of F-Zero GX yet, and I haven't hacked my Wii to do dumps (yet - I have one of the first or second generation Wii consoles, so soft-modding it is supposed to be ridiculously easy - just haven't spent the time)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:45 am »

"Yo dawg....I heard you like arcade ports in yo home ports, so we put F-Zero AX in yo F-Zero GX!"

Is the game shark emulated in dolphin?

If so, it should be possible to write a script to boot straight to the arcade version.

Yup, GS and AR codes work perfectly in Dolphin. There's even a code to disable the in-game music so you can listen to your own tunes while driving.

I won't be able to test the emulator right now because my projector went south and I'm typing this from my old crappy notebook. But here's a tip for those of you with somewhat slow PCs...right click on the game and enable dual core, then go to sound settings and set it to HLE sound with open AL towards the bottom. Put EFB to Texture in both the graphics menu and in the ini file. Set internal res to 1 and turn off AF and AA. Games runs almost 100% full speed with these settings now, on even a mediocre desktop.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:38:12 am »

Patently false. A wheel called the Logitech Speed Force wheel was released for the GC early on. The first couple of games to fully support it were Mario Kart and F-Zero GX. And when I say support it I mean support it with a capital "S"! Sega implemented FULL 100% arcade cabinet force feedback in F-Zero GX. The effects are *exactly* like the cabinet version and in my opinion stronger and I ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- you not, BETTER than the effects felt on the arcade cabinet versions of Daytona USA 1&2 and Sega Rally Championship!

Wanna know how they got them running perfectly in Dolphin? I urge you read this thread...

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-anybody-own-a-logitech-speed-force-racing-wheel-for-gamecube?page=6

This is what I wrote in that thread just a couple weeks ago...

Quote from: Isamu
Hello gentlemen,

Skid made me aware of this thread just now. How I missed it is beyond me, but then again I don't frequent this part of the forum.

I realize it's an old thread and you guys have resolved the issue, but I felt compelled to bump it anyway in honor of the MAGNIFICENT effort you two gentlemen put into this! I bump this thread to raise my glass and publicly salute you for what is without a doubt *MY* favorite and most important addition to the Dolphin emu.

The fact that I can now play F-Zero GX with true, trademark Sega arcade force feedback effects on my PC wheel is nothing short of heavenly! The force effects Sega put into this game for the Logitech Speed Force Wheel is 100% PERFECTION! It's sublime! I'd even put it beyond the ffb found on their real Daytona USA and Sega Rally arcade cabinets! Even Daytona 2 and Super GT. Yes it's that good!

It's almost as if Sega knew that someone would someday emulate F-Zero GX on PC and add support for ffb steering wheels, so they threw everything including the kitchen sink into their force feedback code. Boy did it pay off. This feels like a totally different game now, thanks to Skid and Ulao. You can tell that these two gentlemen are not only emu developers, they are gamers, and their passion for Sega racing games show in this very thread.

So again, I raise my glass and salute you. Us Sega fans are in your debt. Thank you.

Now to finally focus on not sucking at the game :D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »
I gave this a shot on dolphin today.  My machine can't run it without audio skipping, which seems odd considering I'm running a quad @ 2.5 ghz per core. 

Oh well

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »
I gave this a shot on dolphin today.  My machine can't run it without audio skipping, which seems odd considering I'm running a quad @ 2.5 ghz per core. 

Oh well

I had the same problem on my i5 3.4 ghz machine.

Right-Click on the game in Dolphin and make sure "dual core" is checked.  It has issues with the "dual core" emulation, but it actually playable after you do this.  Make sure you're running the latest version of Dolphin too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 07:38:34 pm »
Yup... did that.  The sound still skips. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:44:22 am »

try the latest Master Branch builds

http://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/

barring that, a 2.5Ghz cpu *is* a bit on the slow side for this game, so some audio skipping is to be expected. any core i7 above 3.0ghz should be fine though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:51 am »
I got it sorted.... for whatever reason direct audio was slowing it down.  Switching over to openAL fixed it for the most part.  I even managed to render it at 1080p and get a good framerate.

The problem is the emulation is glitchy.   I had the stupid thing restart on me on the last track of a GP.  I think running this on the wii or gc is going to be a better option unfortunately and considering you'd need a special wheel it's not worth the effort for me.  It might be if you are really into f-zero. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
I got it sorted.... for whatever reason direct audio was slowing it down.  Switching over to openAL fixed it for the most part.  I even managed to render it at 1080p and get a good framerate.

The problem is the emulation is glitchy.   I had the stupid thing restart on me on the last track of a GP.  I think running this on the wii or gc is going to be a better option unfortunately and considering you'd need a special wheel it's not worth the effort for me.  It might be if you are really into f-zero.

Howard what special wheel are you referring to? Don't you own one of the Logitech ffb wheels? If so, which specific wheel do you own? The emulator supports all pc wheels out of the box. Doesn't require any "special wheels" that I'm aware of.

Also, what specific version of Dolphin are you using? Exact build? The ones at the link I sent you work much better than the official dolphin build at the main website. Also make sure you set anti-aliasing to none and efb to texture. Should solve that restart issue. I can play all the way through all of the grand prix modes without any CTD, freezes or restarts.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:07 am »
I think he means the Logitech wheel for the GameCube system. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:49 am »
you all seen that cabinet?!

dude. I'd hack that all day and night!

flight simulator...racing games.... :dizzy:

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »

try the latest Master Branch builds

http://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/

barring that, a 2.5Ghz cpu *is* a bit on the slow side for this game, so some audio skipping is to be expected. any core i7 above 3.0ghz should be fine though.

Thank you!

I just loaded the 606 master build and the game runs a lot faster and smoother over the "stable release" build!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »
ive tried both of the emulators and didn't have any issues.

course i'm now running a liquid cooled 4.0ghz AMD eight core CPU now  ;D

/tootingmyownhorn

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 01:19:36 pm »
ive tried both of the emulators and didn't have any issues.

course i'm now running a liquid cooled 4.0ghz AMD eight core CPU now  ;D

/tootingmyownhorn

Be careful.... it doesn't crash all the time, that's not what I'm getting at.  I played for an hour or two and THEN it decides to crash.  It just isn't stable. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »
Just for the record, I couldn't get the AR codes to work either.  Maybe my version of the game isn't supported or something... this seems to be legit, I'm just saying that you might want to test before you run out and buy a Pro Action Replay if you intend to run it on a real console. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:42 pm »
i couldn't either... including the ones downloaded to unlock the extra tracks and vehicles.

i'm sure there is a setting i'm just missing somewhere to enable the codes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »
Also I was reading today that when in AR mode the game crashes when you win...ect...ect...

So the whole game isn't in there.  It's fun to play around with, but not exactly useful.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:06 am »
Also I was reading today that when in AR mode the game crashes when you win...ect...ect...

So the whole game isn't in there.  It's fun to play around with, but not exactly useful.

link to where you read this?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 03:37:30 pm »
Part of it is at the cutting room floor.  Basically you can race a race, but absolutely none of the support functions work right.  I read at one of the 30 random sites I checked trying to get the ar codes working that the game crashes when you get to any part of the arcade game that had a cut scene.  I think it was at gbatemp?

http://tcrf.net/F-Zero_GX

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:05 am »
Part of it is at the cutting room floor.  Basically you can race a race, but absolutely none of the support functions work right.  I read at one of the 30 random sites I checked trying to get the ar codes working that the game crashes when you get to any part of the arcade game that had a cut scene.  I think it was at gbatemp?

http://tcrf.net/F-Zero_GX

I see, thanks.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
Surely if people can skin Mario Kart and Smash Bros., someone can make the title screen say "F-Zero AX" and "Insert Coin" or something instead of "Push Start/ Pause" and make it 100% arcade. And no, that someone is not me. Although, I did make some stuff in Basic (that would be basic basic back in the 80s, not visual basic or anything, and I don't even remember how to do that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:41:44 pm by marioxb »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:11 pm »
i managed to get through a few races on "AX" mode. Didn't give me any freezing or anything. I won a race and lost a few. everything seems to work.

I found a different set of AX enabling gecko codes that worked okay...i couldn't get the action replay codes to work at all  :dunno

Code: [Select]
06004930 000000AC
818D831C 280C0000
4182009C 3CAC0019
8085D550 64844001
9085D550 3C6C000B
3863FADC 3883000C
38A0000C 4BFFEBE5
3C6C0010 A0032A86
280000A4 4082000C
380000A2 B0032A86
380000C0 98035D26
3C8C000C 38845404
38640028 38A00018
4BFFEBB1 80640044
28030000 41820018
80830038 28043720
4082000C 38800000
9083002C 3800FFFF
3C6C0018 900311DC
900311E0 3C6CFFF8
3C003800 6000000D
9003FB50 7FE3FB78
480165C4 00000000
0401AF98 4BFE9998

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
The ar codes worked for me and I never had any problems....*shrug*

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:03 pm »
ive found a few different sets now. perhaps they are still finding bits and patching it with the codes still.

not sure how the gecko and PAR codes work, i was a gameshark kid...so i know how those codes work.

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 07:07:57 pm »
The codes worked for me via Dolphin. I heard from a few people that the game will crash after a race. i haven't confirmed this though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 09:39:23 pm »
The AR codes get converted into gecko codes anyway by dolphin... when you see a set of codes in both format, they are essentially the same thing.  ;)

You'll notice that with any game genie style code system you'll have a pair of codes?  The first section of the code is the memory address to edit.  The second part is what to edit it to.  Couldn't be simpler.  The only difference in the codes for the game enhancers is the data format.  Most use Hex, there's also base 32, base 64 (I think GG used base 32) ect.....  But they are all essentially the same.   

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »
i guess it's kinda the same as gameshark. all the codes are XXYYYYYY ZZZZ format. I did all my hacking with the Nintendo 64. Good times. Good times. even had the cable to link the gameshark to the computer and do ram dumps.

XX is a modifier, basically what you want to do to the data 80 would constantly writes to the memory address (infinite bullets or men) 88 only writes the address when you press the gameshark button. (press the button to clear the stage or spawn a particular enemy or powerup)

YYYYYY is the memory address of the data you want to modify

ZZZZ is what you want to change it to.

easy peasy. want infinite men? search the ram for "5" then kill yourself. search the "5" addresses you found for ones that are now "4". kill yourself again... and search the new results for "3". your last result? "3D455F-0003".

so you plop in the code"803D455F-0099" and boom! 99 lives!  :cheers: literally takes minutes to do...and the whole game is yours. guess i'll have to brush up on some of these other devices.