Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359361 times)

shakeheartbreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 06:34:54 pm
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #1080 on: May 29, 2019, 01:22:53 pm »
Hey, I been following this project over the years but never made an account to reply. I really appreciate all the work you put into this, and there's probably alot of other people out there like me that read this thread but don't have a forum account.
Cheers dude  :cheers:

Nice one MortalMaxx.  The more support and encouragement Howard can have the better I'm sure!  There must be thousands who've downloaded his work and benefitted from it.

And definitely those who've got thousands of hours of enjoyment from it too :)

MortalMaxx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2019, 01:56:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1081 on: May 31, 2019, 02:36:16 pm »
Having a lot of fun with the track editor, adding the alternate beach tracks in order can create a nice progression where it feels like you're driving while the sun sets :)
One thing I don't know is how to change the layout from the pyramid grid to endurance and vice versa.
Was pretty funny to end the Milky Way stage and have the Pantheon show up :D

Also it just reminded me I had some graphic project where I had redrawn the track layouts in order to learn the fastest route. Sumo already put those in the game, but some are blatantly wrong/placeholders (Floral Village for example).
So I basically ripped all these files, maybe it would be handy for the track editor user interface?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1082 on: June 01, 2019, 01:40:30 am »
I'm glad somebody is playing with the course editor.  I'm not 100% sure I have the endings figured out.... never have gotten around to some proper testing with the new code because I have to race to the end each time, which takes a decent chunk of time.  Yeah those look great.  I don't know how well they are going to scale down, but I need to add something besides a blank square. 

MortalMaxx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1083 on: June 01, 2019, 03:46:55 am »
Maybe just a little visual indication would be enough? Might help for seeing differences between Snow mountain, alpine, ice scape etc.
In case you need them here's the polaroid pictures from the games' ranking menu. I blatantly grabbed them from ingame screenshots because I cant for the life remember how to edit the textures anymore.

One polaroid for size reference:

7z with 30 pics
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/554217456097427480/584286378469228563/OutrunStages.7z

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1084 on: June 02, 2019, 02:28:39 am »
I'll probably end up using those, thanks. 

Did some work on the new build for the first time in a while... found some bugs and Incomplete code.  I also made a Mix course for each of the branched modes.... nothing fancy, just half SP and half Outrun 2 courses.

I also did some testing.... It looks like heart attack mode isn't necessarily viable for custom stages.  While reverse stages inexplicably work, just replacing any old stage doesn't.  It doesn't crash or anything but if one of the requests have models (ghosts, meteors, ect.) then they don't load and you fail that section.  It's probably fixable, but I want to get what I've got out before tackling more problems. 

so I still want to have a little chime sound play when you bring up custom courses and I need to do a little more testing but that's about it.  I know I keep saying it'll be out soon so I won't say that, but I've made progress, so it's closer to a release. 

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #1085 on: June 03, 2019, 06:08:49 am »
Having a lot of fun with the track editor, adding the alternate beach tracks in order can create a nice progression where it feels like you're driving while the sun sets :)
One thing I don't know is how to change the layout from the pyramid grid to endurance and vice versa.
Was pretty funny to end the Milky Way stage and have the Pantheon show up :D

Also it just reminded me I had some graphic project where I had redrawn the track layouts in order to learn the fastest route. Sumo already put those in the game, but some are blatantly wrong/placeholders (Floral Village for example).
So I basically ripped all these files, maybe it would be handy for the track editor user interface?

The course editor has been released?!  :notworthy:

MortalMaxx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1086 on: June 05, 2019, 01:56:36 am »
It was a small post of the first iteration, easy to overlook this post :)

Ok guys knock yourself out!  The app probably has some bugs and manipulating the courses hasn't been fully tested, ect, but it should work for you.  Please read the readme as it's important for proper useage.

envido32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2023, 06:06:49 pm
« Reply #1087 on: June 06, 2019, 10:02:12 am »
im sure there more lurkers like me that get excited to see you do your magic. Keep up the good work

Yeah, that's me. This is very exiting! I'm going to try it this weekend and give some feedback :)

Thanks for everything Howard!

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #1088 on: June 07, 2019, 01:04:25 pm »
It was a small post of the first iteration, easy to overlook this post :)

Ok guys knock yourself out!  The app probably has some bugs and manipulating the courses hasn't been fully tested, ect, but it should work for you.  Please read the readme as it's important for proper useage.

I've searched on the keywords "manipulating" and "courses" based on what I think you're quoting from, and only your message comes up.

Could you please link to it?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1089 on: June 07, 2019, 06:25:22 pm »
Hi Howard. Forgive for the dumb question but....where is the link to the course editor?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1090 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:20 pm »
On page 26 of this very thread at the end of the post that was just quoted..... you guys are hopeless sometimes. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1091 on: June 07, 2019, 09:17:29 pm »
Sorry Howard I'm blind sometimes LOL.

OK guys. I've been on a racing hiatus and haven't had time to play anything at all lately. But boy, am I glad I came back to this!

Very preliminary impressions: I just put about 1hr into game with the course editor. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I was skeptical but damn this thing actually works!

I loaded up one of the  sample courses, and then modified it just a little, changing a course here, and a course there, and sure enough....all loaded up fine without any hiccups! Not only that, but you can actually change the course layouts ON THE FLY, and still stay in the game, and the game will load your changes IN REALTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you ---smurfing--- kidding me!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Damn Howard....you rock bro! You have outdone yourself once again brother!!!!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

This app is your greatest feat yet!  :cheers:

And by the way man....where the hell is your patreon???  :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:19:23 pm by isamu »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1092 on: June 08, 2019, 01:15:12 am »
Glad you like it man.  The next version works better with less bugs and of course your custom courses can be integrated into the game's menu. 

The hat trick I'm trying to pull off is altering courses while you are playing them, so with some trickery maybe 30 stage branches or random warping courses, ect. 

As for patreon, I think about it on occasion, but I don't know, I feel funny taking money for stuff like this.  Maybe if I ever take requests or something.  I have put in a request for monetizing my youtube page.  I figured my videos are less than a minute or two anyway, so why not. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1093 on: June 08, 2019, 02:05:53 am »
Sounds good man, let me know if you get it set up.

Quick stupid question....the samples included in the editor are all for Continuous Mode. Is there a way, or are there any samples that allow us to edit the courses in normal non-continuous "branching" mode? Or am I understanding how this works?

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #1094 on: June 08, 2019, 02:23:01 am »
@Howard_Casto, I'm really interested in playing online, I'm going to dig into his memory and see if we find interesting things :cheers:

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1095 on: June 08, 2019, 02:26:25 am »

so far I can have 2 game windows synchronized on my desktop, (it is also de-synchronized but it's good for tests)

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1096 on: June 08, 2019, 02:41:03 am »
the version of ppsspp plays well the first 2.6400 frames (then it also desynchronizes) not as much as the PC version (we have to limit the packets sent, they are so accelerated that they desynchronize, check it in some lan ... also continue

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #1097 on: June 08, 2019, 12:27:30 pm »
On page 26 of this very thread at the end of the post that was just quoted..... you guys are hopeless sometimes.

Derp, I managed to totally miss that too when you first posted it. Just got back from holiday yesterday and probably won't get a chance to play around with it for a little bit due to other real life stuff, but look forward to giving it a whirl.

Hansuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2019, 02:17:48 pm
  • 楽しい時間をしよう!
« Reply #1098 on: June 09, 2019, 04:41:11 am »
Hello. I wanted to say thanks for making this mod! I just discovered that this game exists and the rumble feature really makes the game come alive for me.

I was wondering if is there an uncensored mod that restores how things look in the jp arcade/jp ps2 release?

Also, is there a way to change which girl is the passenger in outrun/arcade mode? Or is Clarissa locked to the heart attack and coast 2 coast modes?

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2019, 01:52:39 pm »

Hopefully that's missing a smilie!?  We can only apologise Howard, it looks like it was submerged a few pages back and we all missed it.  Everyone makes mistakes (texture pack? ;)).

Your work is HUGELY appreciated so hopefully you weren't too frustrated by this - we remain your loyal fans and for the record, I too would consider signing up to a Patreon if you had one.

Hope you're getting some sleep, sir!  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1100 on: June 25, 2019, 02:52:37 pm »
I finally had a bit of time today to dig my wheel out and have a bit of a play around with some racing related stuff, that's been on my to-do list for ages but I've just not got around to because excuses. As well as finally trying out Boomslang's latest Outrun 2 SPDX plugin, I tried out the course editor for FXT.

HOLY ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!! Howard, it's absolutely BRILLIANT and totally intuitive to use  :notworthy: (the only issue I had was nothing to with the Course Editor itself, but getting my Scripts folder to not be read only, which took a bit of finagling with the folder's security). Getting to add in the reverse versions of stages, the dusk and sunset Palm Beach and Sunny Beach stages and mixing up the regular OR2 and SP stages together makes it almost feel like a new game. Incredible! I don't know why Sega never thought to include something like this in the game in the first place as an unlockable bonus or something, it would've extended the game's (already considerable) lastabilty by a huge amount. Also, wonder why they never thought to swap the dusk and night beach stages into the mission modes, rather than just keeping them Time Attack only.

Using a custom stage layout I managed to trigger the Panzer Dragoon bunki animation - that's only the second time I've ever managed to trigger it in all the years I've been playing the game.

I still don't know what the secret to activating this particularly elusive animation is. I'd previously thought you had to get through 2 stages in a row without hitting any cars or coming off the road, but when I activated it this time, I hadn't cleared the previous stage perfectly. On another run, I managed to clear the first five courses without hitting anything or coming off the road and I got the Pegasus bunki animation 4 times in a row after the initial generic green dragon one on the first stage (I've had the same thing happen with Pegasus activating and not the Panzer Dragoon on Outrun Online Arcade when I've got through the first 2 stages perfectly, although that was the version where I activated the PD animation the first time). Weird. The Pegasus animation is also annoyingly bugged in the PC game, when you trigger it, the clippety clop noise of the hooves keeps on looping non stop. I don't know if that's something you could use your tekno-wizardry powers to look into at all would it Howard? Also, just as a suggestion for a future update, would there be any way to swap some of the rarer bunki animations into the arcade version of the game to replace the generic birds? There's an airshp one I've only ever triggered once, no idea how, and there are some others which seem to be exclusive to the time attack (maybe the missions too...?) like the balloons, hang gliders, Jumbo jets, Fighter plane and UFOs. would be awesome to be able to see some of these in the main game instead of the feckin' birds all the time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:03:33 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1101 on: June 26, 2019, 03:08:56 am »
Glad you like it.  I've seen conflicting reports in regards to what triggers what animations.  If I remember correctly, you can rename the animations and they'll load just fine, so maybe experiment that way?

I need to get back to this.  Currently going through Horizon, Zero Dawn and the damn game is getting on my last nerve.... it's like somebody put all the frustrating parts of every open world game into this one.  It's a shame too because I like the mechanics. 

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #1102 on: June 28, 2019, 02:59:17 am »
Glad you like it.  I've seen conflicting reports in regards to what triggers what animations.  If I remember correctly, you can rename the animations and they'll load just fine, so maybe experiment that way?

I need to get back to this.  Currently going through Horizon, Zero Dawn and the damn game is getting on my last nerve.... it's like somebody put all the frustrating parts of every open world game into this one.  It's a shame too because I like the mechanics.
Stick with it Howard, it's a damned good game, and it does get easier. (My tactics were mostly tie it down and steal its weapons, or lay down a massive series of traps and lure them in).  I just wished the girl could actually climb.  I ended up putting in 120Hrs to complete including the frozen wilds DLC.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1103 on: June 28, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »
I finally had a bit of time today to dig my wheel out and have a bit of a play around with some racing related stuff, that's been on my to-do list for ages but I've just not got around to because excuses. As well as finally trying out Boomslang's latest Outrun 2 SPDX plugin, I tried out the course editor for FXT.

HOLY ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!! Howard, it's absolutely BRILLIANT and totally intuitive to use  :notworthy: (the only issue I had was nothing to with the Course Editor itself, but getting my Scripts folder to not be read only, which took a bit of finagling with the folder's security). Getting to add in the reverse versions of stages, the dusk and sunset Palm Beach and Sunny Beach stages and mixing up the regular OR2 and SP stages together makes it almost feel like a new game. Incredible! I don't know why Sega never thought to include something like this in the game in the first place as an unlockable bonus or something, it would've extended the game's (already considerable) lastabilty by a huge amount. Also, wonder why they never thought to swap the dusk and night beach stages into the mission modes, rather than just keeping them Time Attack only.

Using a custom stage layout I managed to trigger the Panzer Dragoon bunki animation - that's only the second time I've ever managed to trigger it in all the years I've been playing the game.

I still don't know what the secret to activating this particularly elusive animation is. I'd previously thought you had to get through 2 stages in a row without hitting any cars or coming off the road, but when I activated it this time, I hadn't cleared the previous stage perfectly. On another run, I managed to clear the first five courses without hitting anything or coming off the road and I got the Pegasus bunki animation 4 times in a row after the initial generic green dragon one on the first stage (I've had the same thing happen with Pegasus activating and not the Panzer Dragoon on Outrun Online Arcade when I've got through the first 2 stages perfectly, although that was the version where I activated the PD animation the first time). Weird. The Pegasus animation is also annoyingly bugged in the PC game, when you trigger it, the clippety clop noise of the hooves keeps on looping non stop. I don't know if that's something you could use your tekno-wizardry powers to look into at all would it Howard? Also, just as a suggestion for a future update, would there be any way to swap some of the rarer bunki animations into the arcade version of the game to replace the generic birds? There's an airshp one I've only ever triggered once, no idea how, and there are some others which seem to be exclusive to the time attack (maybe the missions too...?) like the balloons, hang gliders, Jumbo jets, Fighter plane and UFOs. would be awesome to be able to see some of these in the main game instead of the feckin' birds all the time.

I fully agree and great post mate! This has certainly breathed new life into the game and I'd say this version has now reclaimed the No.1 spot on the list of all versions out there, overtaking the SPDX version in TP. Also awesome vid you just uploaded dude. Love your course selection for that route.  :cheers:

Only thing I'm disappointed in is the fact that Howard STILL has not gotten around to implementing the ability to import tracks from F-Zero GX, Ridge Racer 7 and the Atari 2600 version of Night Driver. C'mon man what's taking you so long?........

............[/sarcasm]  :burgerking: :afro:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1104 on: June 29, 2019, 08:21:16 am »
Thanks mate, glad you liked it!

BigTinz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2021, 10:39:40 pm
« Reply #1105 on: September 09, 2019, 03:34:31 pm »
Wow, this is exciting! I've dreamt of a "cannonball" style editor for OR2 for so long  :applaud:

So, is the version from months ago (attached to this post) still the newest release? I see a bunch of posts talking about bug fixing and updates, but they're all much more recent.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #1106 on: October 21, 2019, 11:35:16 pm »
Hi Howard, just wanted to chime in and say that i'm not posting much on here but am watching for progress with bated breath :) Your work so far is greatly appreciated, and i'm really looking forward to the 2.6 version of FXT with the course editor built in! It would be great to keep looping courses, or to set a circuit and just keep driving forever, that would feel so very outrun :)

I'm assuming LAN play is fine with the altered courses, so long as all the instances are running the same altered course, but has anyone tried it? And if there's going to be a randomiser of some sort, have you thought about syncing it for LAN play? Or maybe allowing custom but not random in those cases...

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1107 on: October 22, 2019, 10:55:39 am »
Hi Howard, just wanted to chime in and say that i'm not posting much on here but am watching for progress with bated breath :) Your work so far is greatly appreciated, and i'm really looking forward to the 2.6 version of FXT with the course editor built in! It would be great to keep looping courses, or to set a circuit and just keep driving forever, that would feel so very outrun :)

I'm assuming LAN play is fine with the altered courses, so long as all the instances are running the same altered course, but has anyone tried it? And if there's going to be a randomiser of some sort, have you thought about syncing it for LAN play? Or maybe allowing custom but not random in those cases...

Wow a track randomizer. Hadn't thought of that. That would be awesome. And yes, course loop back to the beginning for "circuit racing" would be incredible as well!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1108 on: October 22, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »
I always thought it was a real shame that the original Xbox version of Outrun 2 didn't have any option to play the individual bonus Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 stages in any kind of looping Time Attack mode (once you'd unlocked them) to scratch that 'Beginner Stage' 8 Lap itch I had from Power Edition. I also really wanted to be able to practice the final Scud Race track (the Outrun 2 equivalent of Scud's Expert track) without having to play the entire 4 stage course beforehand as there's a load of particularity nasty S bends that I always used to cock up. No matter how awesome a time you were doing up to that point, and how big of a lead you might've thought you had, the bastarding rubber band CPU rival cars would suddenly catch up the millisecond you slowed down and overtake you. It happened to me so many times, I'm surprised my Xbox controller didn't end up embedded in my TV... Love the game but the rubber banding on those ---punks--- was totally egregious.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #1109 on: October 22, 2019, 03:11:05 pm »
Is it possible to add force feedback to any game or only games that were set up for it originally?

I know there is no reason to do this if you have the PC version already working well with ffb but would you have been able to use the same approach to add it to the PS2 version?

I'm also curious if it would be possible to add ffb / recoil to the PS2 versions of Time Crisis 2 and 3. Obviously you can add you own recoil effects with simple hardware like relays and NE555 circuits but how hard would it be for you to make it control the recoil effects with software like the original coin-op?

TC3 on the PS2 was an almost perfect port aside from the lack of recoil and lack of a progressive scan option. It would be awesome if those things could be fixed some day.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #1110 on: October 22, 2019, 04:12:37 pm »

Lan play is not fine in the main game, so there's no way its fine in the altered courses. Lan play is broken...

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #1111 on: October 22, 2019, 07:34:23 pm »
Lan play is not fine in the main game, so there's no way its fine in the altered courses. Lan play is broken...

You mean it d-syncs visual position of other player cars, and the timers go a bit out of sync? It runs though, and your own car always drives fine. This is on vanilla - does FXT change anything? From memory you can't go with the faux-arcade startup, you still have to go through the main menu's, but i thought that was an option..? I'm no longer running FXT myself, but hoping to again once the next version comes out :)

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #1112 on: October 22, 2019, 07:59:36 pm »

You mean it d-syncs visual position of other player cars, and the timers go a bit out of sync? It runs though, and your own car always drives fine. This is on vanilla - does FXT change anything? From memory you can't go with the faux-arcade startup, you still have to go through the main menu's, but i thought that was an option..? I'm no longer running FXT myself, but hoping to again once the next version comes out :)

Well yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Technically it works, but who wants to play with another person when there car is flickering on and off and hopping around the screen, plus sometimes the timer thing screws up and one of the players can't finish if I remember correctly. That's kind of the whole point of LAN is seeing your rival. Otherwise you might as well just play with another person on a totally different PC and press start at the same time and see who finishes first... Its nothing to do with FXT its the PC version in general, the LAN is just fudged up, one of my biggest disappointments with the PC version.

I have yet to get the Teknoparrot version working in LAN either. Only versions that works are the Xbox ports with system link and 2006 is super expensive, not to mention the fact that it just looks muddy compared to the PC version and the Arcade version on Teknoparrot.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #1113 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:59 pm »
Well, i don't find it that bad. It's perhaps not for serious competition due to the flaws, you'd want to record results on singleplayer for that, but the LAN mode is a really nice addition to a 2-player setup along with other games like Daytona, SR3, etc.

Though yes, i 'd like to get the TP version into network to try it out. I haven't yet, and it's not good to hear you're having issues. I'll give it a crack one day, but the thing about TP is that all the information is already buried and it will only be worse the longer i leave it :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:51:39 pm by buttersoft »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1114 on: October 23, 2019, 12:17:27 am »
I didn't test a lot, but from what little I did test lan, the less network equipment between the two machines and the more similar the hardware (particularly the network card) the better.  I did have de-syncs, but it wasn't like that every race.   

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1115 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:06 am »
You mean it d-syncs visual position of other player cars, and the timers go a bit out of sync? It runs though, and your own car always drives fine.

The de-syncing can actually mess up the game on your own screen too. In a 2 player PC LAN game a few years back, we started having an issue where the road kept disappearing at the bunki crossroads on the PC my mate was using and he'd spend a few seconds crashing into invisible barriers (I had the exact same thing happen to me in about 50% of all the online races I ever managed to get involved in on my PS3 version of Outrun Online Arcade). Like you say though, it's generally playable but far from perfect. The biggest ball-ache tends to be, as Shaolindrunkard said, when the timer de-syncing means that one of you gets a timer over at the checkpoint, but the couple of extra seconds difference means the other player gets through. We've had that happen too... (Edited just to mention there's a little pop up on-screen profanity in the second link there. I know you're all adults, but thought I should just mention it...)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:46:46 am by MrThunderwing »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #1116 on: October 30, 2019, 07:14:14 pm »
I didn't test a lot, but from what little I did test lan, the less network equipment between the two machines and the more similar the hardware (particularly the network card) the better.  I did have de-syncs, but it wasn't like that every race.

Now you mention it, yeah, that sounds about right. Only I'm going to guess the benefit comes from more similar GPU's. I'm using a 6870 and a 6950, but on a core2duo E8500 and an I7 760 respectively on completely different mobos. And i'm getting far fewer issues than i used to using a 5450 and a 4890 on E6600 and E7600 (i think it was).

Even then i never had the road glitch, only the car positions and sometimes the timer. Now everything plays pretty smoothly.

BigTinz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2021, 10:39:40 pm
« Reply #1117 on: November 11, 2019, 12:25:24 am »
Such a shame that the game glitches out if you do back to back stages. Is there any theory as to why that happens? Fixable?

That said, I'm having a blast with this tool!  :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:42:13 am by BigTinz »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #1118 on: November 12, 2019, 09:22:17 pm »

Such a shame that the game glitches out if you do back to back stages.

Outrun 2006: Desert Bus Edition?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1119 on: November 12, 2019, 10:46:02 pm »
It doesn't glitch in the new version.... I did some endless loops.