Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359173 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #1040 on: March 19, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »
This hidden stage sounds intriguing. Is it something that's graphically similar to one of the pre-existing 30 stages or is it like an entirely new environment?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1041 on: March 19, 2019, 08:09:36 pm »
It's nothing that exciting.  You know where Holly's current course has about half of the or2 stages and about half are the or2sp?  Well it's basically the stages that were left out.... only the challenges themselves are completely new.

I vaguely remember that there might have been a rumor about a dropped 4th girl.... if so, maybe this is her stuff?  It is referenced in the game exe though, so maybe it's a hidden mode none of us have managed to unlock?

Been looking at the remaining files.... Request_course_SP and OR2 are the c2c layouts for the other two girls and basically are the same as the standard branched files for the main game.... Those individual stage goals I was looking for earlier are in the various "goals" scripts (who would have thunk it?) and Flag man's stages are in "Races".  Flag man's stuff is interesting.... for all the other modes the course layout and the scripting code for the various stuff in the stages are in separate files, but his seems to have everything dumped into one file.  It might be the key to figuring out some of the scripting in terms of placing events on the tracks and ect…  I still haven't figured out what the extra courses in the 15 stage scripts are for.... I'll leave them exposed in the editor, but with a warning that I don't know what they do. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1042 on: March 20, 2019, 01:50:09 am »
So I added support for the three girls' coast 2 coast scripts.  I'll add in Flag man's courses as well as the individual goals, but that'll take time as they are a bit more complex.  I want to go ahead and get all of this mapped while it's still fresh in my mind, because it's complicated enough to where I might forget where I left off if I come back to it later. 

I'm going to spend a few min digging around in the memory for a bit tonight as I might be able to access the psp mix properly.... I'm guessing it was supposed to go in that empty slot next to holly's portrait in the C2C menu, so it might be like the Driver's License menu where the unfinished code is still in there and you have to manually change the menu number.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1043 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:45 pm »
I didn't have much luck... I can change the game file paths just fine but they crash upon loading.... swapping out and renaming is the only way to get it to load.  There is an extra, unused slot in the menus though.... has a blacked out silhouette of Holly, so I guess she was going to have two courses. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1044 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:42 pm »
I was thinking about the "goals" files and I just realized how stupid it would be to add them.  Time trials allow you to access every stage, so there's really no need unless you wanted to do a custom goal course but the chance of anyone wanting to do that is probably slim to none.  I'll focus on the flag man stages instead since they are the only true races in the game and it might be fun to mod them. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1045 on: March 21, 2019, 02:45:39 am »
Sometimes the boring work is what takes so long, unfortunately....
I've started crafting a menu system to work with modified courses.  I'm going to let you make custom courses with the course editor and then you'll be able to cycle through them with the press of the gas pedal or something.  Note the new button and the logo.... I'll let you name your custom courses and that'll be displayed at the tab above the normal button.  I've found all the memory addresses to completely monitor the course menu, so it's just a matter of keeping track of my custom menu selections and then changing the course file on the song selection screen if necessary. 

Does that look ok?  Kind of stumped over how to add in the additional info and still have it look like it belongs. 

Also I need opinions in regards to how I should swap out the files.  Perhaps someone more versed in how windows writes to the hard drive can chime in.  Do you think it would be better to just rename the files to swap them out or just overwrite the changed bytes?  I would think renaming the files would just change the index on the drive, but then again we are only talking about 60 bytes or so if I overwrite the changed data. 

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #1046 on: March 22, 2019, 12:30:50 am »
Way behind, my racing rig isn't even set up right now.  You are motivating me to do so though!  Leaving on a trip soon and only back in a month but I wanted you to know there's others out there who are interested.  Thanks for your work on this.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1047 on: March 22, 2019, 01:49:07 am »
Thanks man.  So I was looking at the texture files in the game to get references for the new buttons and yup.... Holly is supposed to have a second course.  Much like flagman, she has two poses for the c2c menus, indicating that she was to host two separate stages.  Also in the text "Mix 2 course" can be found.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's a hidden level that nobody managed to unlock. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1048 on: March 23, 2019, 04:35:50 am »
Couldn't sleep so I spent the last hour or so writing the convoluted logic system to manage all of the file juggling required to swap out courses.  Took way longer than it should have.  I also have the code and image in place to make the little tab pop up I posted earlier.  The actual file swapping functions aren't in place yet though, so it's going to be at least another day.  When finished I'll post a video or something. 

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #1049 on: March 24, 2019, 01:51:10 am »
hey Howard_Casto Sometimes I feel like looking for interesting things in the memory of outrun 2006, then I remember you are here and I just hope  :notworthy:

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #1050 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:43 am »
hey Howard_Casto throw me a clue to look in memory, maybe 2 I think we can find different things

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1051 on: March 24, 2019, 01:06:53 pm »
Sure.  Attached is my latest cheat engine file.... I search for data that way and if I find anything of note I save it.  The two most useful things I've found recently are the file path that gets fed into the I/O parser and a pointer to the actual course script once it gets loaded into memory.  In theory I should be able to manipulate courses on the fly with that, but in practice I'm having trouble getting the timing right so some assembly code changes might be needed and I'm not great at that. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1052 on: March 25, 2019, 01:54:00 am »
Good news!  I've got the swapping and graphics code in place and it appears to work great.  I just have to put in some code to make sure the stages get swapped back in case of a hard exit or a crash.  On the bad news end it looks like I've got some work to do on the course editor..... I kept getting a crash in-game, thinking it was the new code, and it turned out to be a garbage filled course script generated by the editor.  I'll have to fix that. 

Anyway, I'll post a video tomorrow and even though I've had some unexpected delays I'm making steady progress every night.  I played around with the new modes and they really add to the game.  You'd think that the reverse courses, mixing stages and stage orders wouldn't make much of a difference, but it really does.  In arcade mode you really only had four courses to play and now you have an infinite amount.  I'm thinking of adding randomly generated courses as well. 

stf999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2023, 06:24:52 am
« Reply #1053 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:11 am »
Excellent Howard !
On the starting block to see that in action !!!
DAYTONA USA 2019 Textures pack ** CLICK HERE **

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1054 on: March 25, 2019, 11:59:01 am »
Awesome stuff Howard! You tha man! You have our full support for this project. Keep those progress reports coming!  :cheers:

Will mixing stages between the original OR2 stages and OR2SP stages be possible too?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1055 on: March 25, 2019, 01:20:32 pm »
Yeah you can mix the stages. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1056 on: March 26, 2019, 01:37:43 am »
Here's a preview:

Sorry about the orange tint.... I got ahold of an elgato capture card and for the life of me I can't get it to cooperate.  Not sure why it's tinting everything but I consider it a success that it actually recorded sound this time.  I might just go back to software-based capture. 

Anyway, I didn't get to work on anything tonight, but I'm hopeful that I'll have something to release before the week is out. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1057 on: March 26, 2019, 06:44:24 pm »
Nice work Howard, good to see the dusk stage in the regular game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1058 on: March 27, 2019, 12:00:54 am »
Thanks man.  What surprised me is that all of the *stages* have traffic and heart attack goals and stuff.  I think a lot of it has to do with that extra course I found.... it was done so it had to have all the extra stuff working. 

Figured out my capture card problems btw.... it was stupid night mode in windows 10.  It's strange that it doesn't show up nearly that orange on the monitor hooked up through pass-through.  I don't know though... things still look a bit washed out.  If anyone has experience with this stuff please chime in. 

Anyway, I had a busy day so no progress.  I might work on things a bit later if I feel like it. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:20:30 am by Howard_Casto »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #1059 on: March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am »
nice vid. definitely uncanny valley. I cant wait to try it out

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1060 on: March 28, 2019, 03:27:19 am »
Yeah we are getting there. 

I squashed the bugs in the course editor tonight.... or at least I think I did.... I'll have to race through the entire course to make sure, so I'll do that later, but it looked ok going through the first few stages anyway.  I also went ahead and added a function to swap back the course in the event of a hard exit (alt+f4 or a front end killing things).

The course editor will have to be modified.... Originally I had it "install" the courses directly and permanently, but now that the wrapper can swap them out, it makes sense to just add them to a folder in fxtcfg and allow management of all the custom stages via an ini.... In other words adding and removing of the stages is done via list management instead of the user moving files around.  It shouldn't be terribly hard to do this, it'll just take some time. 

I probably need to take the opportunity to squash some bugs before release as well.  I know splash wave will sometimes fall silent in alt track mode and the radio graphic will popup in certain 2k6 menus that it shouldn't..... those two things should be easy enough to sort out. 

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:25:47 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
« Reply #1061 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:58 am »
Love seeing these middle of the night posts from Howard. Watching this with keen interest. Thanks for all the great work!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1062 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:31 pm »
AFAICT I've tracked down and squashed the music and cd player graphic bugs.  It's early, so I might work some more later.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1063 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:52 am »
Spring is kicking my butt... I might be a little sick, thus the lack of any real updates.  I'm working on things again though.... perhaps a new vid soon. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1064 on: April 03, 2019, 02:11:14 am »
Wrote the code to cleanly (memory changes only) swap Holly's MIX 1 with the unused MIX 2 only to discover that the path strings are write protected.  This means I'll have to physically swap files, like I do for 2SP mode, which sucks because c2c mode oddly doesn't re-read courses upon entering a girl's c2c menu... only after returning from a race.

Translation:  Implementation of the unused course will be sloppy, but still doable. 

The rest of the stuff is done for the most part.... I've just got to do a slight overhaul of the course editor to reflect the new modes and implementations. 

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #1065 on: April 03, 2019, 11:57:57 am »
Excellent.  Your work on this is one of the things that keeps me excited to be building a driving cab.   :cheers:

Thanks!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1066 on: April 04, 2019, 01:31:15 am »
Thanks.

Finished implementation of Holly's second course.  It's a bit awkward because the text on the branches doesn't change until after you've played a round, but hey... it works.  I've attached a pic of a "brand new" game mode in the course... hit the ducks... which I'm terrible at.  Those damn ducks keep bouncing around.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1067 on: April 06, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »
Howard, this is probably going to sound like a stupid question: I haven't upgraded the version of FXT on my PC past v2.1 (it did everything I wanted, so I never felt a strong urge to upgrade). If I wanted to upgrade to the most recent version now, do I simply overwrite what's in my C2C folder with the new FXT stuff or do I need to change anything back to the vanilla version of the game?

Also, I think this was something mentioned by someone else on the forum years ago, but the graphical effect of the flames that come out of your Ferrari's exhaust when you shift up have disappeared in my game. Was this something attributable to FXT? I've tried doing a quick Google search to see if I could find out anything further about this, but I'm drawing a blank. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know how I can get my flames back?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:07:46 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1068 on: April 06, 2019, 09:52:05 pm »
You'll want to uninstall any of the texture packs just for safety's sake (so fxt can make a proper backup), but yeah, you can just overwrite.  I would suggest you wait for this next version though.... 2.5 was kind of a slap-dash revision and I don't think the link to 2.4 is still up. 

I'm not sure what the deal is with the exhaust..... back in ancient times on good old windows xp I remember it working, but it just stopped.  It's not fxt as it doesn't work on the vanilla version of the game either.  I'm beginning to wonder if a windows update killed it or I imagined things and it was the console ports of the game that had the flames. 

I'm finally getting over this cold of whatever so I might work on it tomorrow night and try to get a release ready.  All that's really left are a few graphical changes, maybe an added sound effect for the new secret menus and I'll go ahead and make some cool courses for arcade mode.  The main work is the course editor though... I suppose I could do that separately, but it really needs to be included imho. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1069 on: April 07, 2019, 06:37:55 am »
You'll want to uninstall any of the texture packs just for safety's sake (so fxt can make a proper backup)

Thanks Howard. I just uninstall the texture pack through the FXT config and then reinstall the same way with the latest version then I presume?  There's actually still a working link to v2.4 in your old 'Outrun 2 FXT 2.4 Released' thread, but I'll hold fire until v2.5 comes out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1070 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:05 pm »
Yes you'll install the same way.  Actually 2.5 was already released... that was a quick little patch that allows you to manually set the joystick id for the wheel since the game tends to forget. 

Anyway, sorry guys, real life has gotten in the way.  I'm working on the course editor as we speak and it's 90% complete.  I want to make a couple of interesting courses for each game mode and I'll have to test them, so realistically we are still a week or so away from release unless I get really motivated and do it all in one night. 

After this release I'd say the project needs to change direction.  Adding new features will become less of a priority and instead I'll be cleaning things up and getting to much-needed fit and finish features like menu override and a HD attract mode, possibly with high scores like the arcade if anyone wants to sit down and help me map out the high score file.  Then if I still have interest I'll look at finishing lan mode features. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1071 on: April 11, 2019, 12:41:40 pm »
Hey man, a week, a month it's all good. Just looking forward to trying it out whenever it's ready  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1072 on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:08 am »
The course editor is done.  I'll go over it again tomorrow night and make sure I didn't miss anything as it's gotten surprisingly complex.

Still gotta make some sample courses for you guys to play with.  Even though the course editor supports editing the time trial courses I've decided not to include any....changing the course breaks the ghost cars as they are replayed with another course in mind.  If you really want to edit them then knock yourself out, but it isn't recommended. 

stf999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2023, 06:24:52 am
« Reply #1073 on: April 16, 2019, 09:51:26 am »
... a course editor for Outrun !...
An old dream ! Thanks a lot ! :notworthy:
DAYTONA USA 2019 Textures pack ** CLICK HERE **

jackstriker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 02:25:14 am
  • Hang-On no crash.
« Reply #1074 on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:31 pm »
Yeah, Like a dream. Thank you for bring life to C2C. Remind me a special mix course of arcade VS mode. Cheers.  :)

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 06:34:54 pm
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #1075 on: May 10, 2019, 07:02:27 pm »
The course editor is done.  I'll go over it again tomorrow night and make sure I didn't miss anything as it's gotten surprisingly complex.

Still gotta make some sample courses for you guys to play with.  Even though the course editor supports editing the time trial courses I've decided not to include any....changing the course breaks the ghost cars as they are replayed with another course in mind.  If you really want to edit them then knock yourself out, but it isn't recommended.

This is incredible, I didn't realise FXT was still being worked on..  and I've actually just built a mini-ITX PC specifically to play Outrun FXT on my new 65" TV :)

So that's great news.  However, I'm trying to contact you regarding a few things Howard and I'm unable to.  The Contact Me page on your website is displaying an error and for some reason I can't PM you either.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #1076 on: May 10, 2019, 09:47:41 pm »
for some reason I can't PM you either.
Now that your first post is approved, your PMs should be working.   :cheers:

Scott

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1077 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:54 pm »
This post reminded me that I have some releases to get to.  I'm currently making a cmvs and I've been distracted.  I'll see about getting this out sometime next week. 

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 06:34:54 pm
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #1078 on: May 11, 2019, 05:05:15 am »
for some reason I can't PM you either.
Now that your first post is approved, your PMs should be working.   :cheers:

Scott

Seriously?!  I could've sworn that I'd posted on here before!  :laugh2:

Oh well.  Anyway, I've been following this mod for years being a lifelong Outrun (and subsequent Outrun 2) fan.

Thanks both and look forward to posting again  :cheers:

MortalMaxx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2019, 01:56:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1079 on: May 28, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »
Hey, I been following this project over the years but never made an account to reply. I really appreciate all the work you put into this, and there's probably alot of other people out there like me that read this thread but don't have a forum account.
Cheers dude  :cheers: