Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359167 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #960 on: December 15, 2016, 03:17:49 pm »
Dumb question but did you turn it on?  You need to go into the controls section if the fxtcfg program and check the xinput box. 

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #961 on: December 15, 2016, 03:43:32 pm »
Yeah that's what I was saying in my other post, even with it enabled I don't get any rumble. The box is ticked enabled and then you set the next box to zero or one right? Its set to one. Sorry not home right now so I don't have it right in front of me.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #962 on: December 15, 2016, 08:04:29 pm »
Figured it out, sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. Turns out windows 10 is making all of my files and folders Read Only  :o. I guess its a common problem. I think when I was changing the setting it wasn't actually saving any of the settings and that's why it wasn't working. I right clicked on the folder FXT was in and unticked read only and then clicked apply. Turned rumble off and then back on again and now it works.

Thanks for adding that, I had no idea you added that so early on, it will make a big difference for me when I get my cabs going since I'm using rumble instead of FFB.

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #963 on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »
Yeah always run my stuff as administrator, at least the first time.  That gives it writing privileges.  Actually, that's a good bit of advice for any app since M$ went all security crazy starting with Vista.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #964 on: December 16, 2016, 12:40:34 am »
So I went nuts tonight and spent the last hour or so mining for pointers to control the lan menu.  I found them all, so I can finally create a macro function to take you straight into a lan game from the main menu with the pre determined settings.  I haven't coded it in yet, but it should work fairly well.  I can put up a screen or something to hide all the menus.

You know if someone could rip the cars out of the game for me using one of the DX rippers, I could probably re-create game menu and just throw you from the fake menu into the lan once the selections are made.  I've had trouble ripping the geometry... it comes out distorted. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #965 on: December 16, 2016, 01:15:07 am »
So I added a blank screen to the overlay that covers the 2k6 menu that is briefly shown when arcade mode is enabled and the game jumps from the 2k6 main menu to 2sp mode.  It isn't perfect, but it looks much better than before. 

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #966 on: December 17, 2016, 02:35:51 am »
So I added a blank screen to the overlay that covers the 2k6 menu that is briefly shown when arcade mode is enabled and the game jumps from the 2k6 main menu to 2sp mode.  It isn't perfect, but it looks much better than before.

That's what i want to hear! Huge news. I need the lan mode for my side by side setup :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #967 on: December 18, 2016, 04:36:02 pm »
Well I got the images done.  I did them in 16:9 though (for my own use) so I'll have to redo them in 4:3, but everything is saved in one big old photoshop doc, so that shouldn't take long. 

I started to delve deep into the code to try and pinpoint the array of model names that are used to load the car models.  It appears that the 2SP car select screen doesn't have any problems changing the model on the fly, but only the 10 cars available are loaded, all at once during the 2sp loading screen.  If I can point to the 2k6 array, it might be possible to trick the game into loading all the cars... at the expense of more ram and a potentially longer load screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #968 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:00 am »
Success!!!

After an hours worth of fiddling, I managed to write a macro that jumps the menu straight into the game lobby of lan mode when start is pressed on the title screen.  of course I'll have to write a bit more code to auto-set the settings, but it works and appears to be pretty stable.  The lan menu kind of sucks so I'll eventually write my own, but for now this will do.  Perhaps in the future I can have the lan settings like dip settings, or maybe allow a remote app to set the settings on the fly (like your phone).  I added a simple blank screen to hide the menu changes like I have with arcade mode. 

The only issue now is writing a macro to back out of the multiplayer stuff to the title screen if the player wants to back out.  That might take some doing as the lan menu (and all 2k6 menus) don't have a unique address. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #969 on: December 19, 2016, 04:54:10 am »
Success!!!

After an hours worth of fiddling, I managed to write a macro that jumps the menu straight into the game lobby of lan mode when start is pressed on the title screen.  of course I'll have to write a bit more code to auto-set the settings, but it works and appears to be pretty stable.  The lan menu kind of sucks so I'll eventually write my own, but for now this will do.  Perhaps in the future I can have the lan settings like dip settings, or maybe allow a remote app to set the settings on the fly (like your phone).  I added a simple blank screen to hide the menu changes like I have with arcade mode. 

The only issue now is writing a macro to back out of the multiplayer stuff to the title screen if the player wants to back out.  That might take some doing as the lan menu (and all 2k6 menus) don't have a unique address.

Great work Howard!  :cheers:

Quick question.....if I'm not mistaken, I believe you mentioned a while back that you were planning on looking into a way to re-activate online multiplayer in the game(even though the servers are turned off). Is this still possible and how are things going on that front?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #970 on: December 19, 2016, 01:00:54 pm »
I wanted to make sure I could manipulate the menus properly before I started on that. 

Their are really two ways to do it...... somehow re-create the multiplayer server, which is unlikely, or integrate a vpn with the wrapper and handle multiplayer via the LAN interface. 

I need an intelligent packet sniffer to see if the true multiplayer can be restored, otherwise I'll just need a lot of volunteers that are willing to connect to a vpn so we can test connectivity/lag/ect. 

Shoot I'm not even sure when I'll be able to finish the lan macro I'm working on now.  You see I want to make a real simple Multiplayer load screen.  The top will show the car you've selected like it does in the arcade menu, with some setting info to the far right and at the bottom, where the car selection icons would be, I'll show the selected cars for the other players and their screen names, ect.  The problem is I've got to actually find the memory locations where that stuff is stored, and to do that I need to have 6 PCs running the game in lan mode.  I don't know what your home network looks like, but for me that is going to take some work.  I've got this pc, an old laptop and a crappy netbook, so that's three.  My racing cab makes 4 and my mame cab makes 5.  I'm going to have to kludge a pc together or borrow someone's laptop just to get the 6 needed. 

pintricks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2017, 11:13:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #971 on: December 20, 2016, 12:30:48 pm »
Instead of using 6 physical pc's, can you not install the free Virtualbox on your best pc and run an extra virtual windows or two on one pc? They act as seperate pc in a lan together with the rest and the latest version of virtual box support directx so I guess it should work for the game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #972 on: December 20, 2016, 01:01:28 pm »
Possibly.  I'm afraid doing it virtually will monkey with the memory addresses.  It shouldn't make any difference but I would hate to spend hours looking up addresses only to find them different.  It might be worth it to maybe try it and lookup values I already know to see if they match. 

appeardk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2017, 08:53:59 am
« Reply #973 on: December 20, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
First of all I just want to say thank you for doing all this. I got it all working tonight and it was almost too good to be true. I'm amazed at the work you put in just for us outrun lovers to enjoy. Amazing!

So originally stumbed across this thread because I was looking for a fix for the deadzone issue with my Thrustmaster TX wheel. I need to turn the wheel a lot to move the car.

Installing your hack-version solves that, especially by lowering the deadzone to around 5.

But, and I'm pretty sure you are aware of this, but it also almost "kills" drifting. I can hardly make the car drift. I have tried everything from overriding the pedals, to playing with sensitivy, to calibrating, even adding a brake-button to see if drifting was easier with a button-brake.

It seems the issue is with the wheel-configuration and not the brake. As soon as a I turn off wheel override I can drift, however I need to do 1.5 spin on my wheel and it's impossible to play without your deadzone fix, even with sensitivity set to max.

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a solution?

Perhaps theres an .ini file I can tweak to avoid overriding the wheel, or maybe it's something you're working on so I can just be patient and wait it out :)

Again, huge thanks for the mega effort!!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #974 on: December 20, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »
It seems the issue is with the wheel-configuration and not the brake. As soon as a I turn off wheel override I can drift, however I need to do 1.5 spin on my wheel and it's impossible to play without your deadzone fix, even with sensitivity set to max.

I'm not sure what options you have with your wheel but your issue is "saturation", not sensitivity or dead zone.

Your wheel rotation should be limited to something like 180-270 degrees for these older games.
You just aren't going to be able to change directions as quickly as the game was designed for otherwise.
The 900 degree Logitech wheels have an option that uses the feedback motor to make the wheel feel like there are stops at whatever amount of rotation you set it to.

If the thrustmaster software doesn't have the option to limit rotation, it might have a saturation setting.  (that is what it is called in MAME).
Basically saturation is how far you must have the wheel turned before the game sees it as being turned all the way.
We aren't talking about MAME here, but for the sake of explaining it, here is how the setting works in MAME:
If set to 100 and you turn the wheel all the way, the game will see it as turned all the way.
If set to 85, the game will see it as being turned all the way when really you've only turned it 85% of the way.
So if you have a 900 degree wheel, but want to use it with a game that expects a 180 degree wheel the saturation would be set to 20%.

Maybe there is a way to fake the game out during calibration and only move the wheel across 270 degrees when calibrating it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:57:52 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #975 on: December 20, 2016, 10:54:12 pm »
Yeah the wheel override uses full saturation because I expect you to set your wheel in it's software settings.  Eventually I will add some more options, but as Badmouth said, your problem has to do with how you have your wheel setup. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #976 on: December 21, 2016, 12:22:00 am »
I still wasn't satisfied with the bonus car images, so I gave it another try, this time ripping the original dds textures to get the logos.   I think they turned out pretty good, but I only got the 16:9 versions finished.  I'm going to do the 4:3 images tomorrow, time permitting.  I think the lan stuff might have to wait until after the holidays, but I still intend to do another release before Christmas... my present to you, so to speak. 

appeardk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #977 on: December 21, 2016, 05:45:36 pm »
That worked!

I set it to 250 via the thrustmaster controlpanel and that acutally limited the rotation of the wheel just like you described.

Yesterday, before reading this tip I actually tried calibrating my way out the issue but that did not give the expected result

This so close to the arcade feel now. Thank you for the great explanation and once again for the huge work that has been put into this.

I will follow this thread for future updates.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #978 on: December 21, 2016, 05:58:53 pm »
 :applaud:

On console emulators I've gone as low as 150 degrees. 
Those games were designed to be played with thumbsticks which can change direction in a snap.

With very old PC games I'm at 180.  They were either designed for analog joysticks or early wheels that only rotated that much.

Most arcade games were 270 or close to 270.  This is what I use for MAME, Model 2 emulator, etc.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #979 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:34 am »

Most arcade games were 270 or close to 270.  This is what I use for MAME, Model 2 emulator, etc.

Badmouth I'm curious about your experience with MAME. I've been playing the Ridge Racer series in MAME and if I set my wheel rotation to 270 degrees the steering is way, and I mean WAAAAY too twitchy and sensitive. I have instead set it to 900 degrees and then decreased the saturation to about 40 or so. This gives me an in-game rotation of about 400 or so I'm guessing.

But anyway how on earth are you playing the RR games in MAME at 270 degrees? Is there a way to make it less twitchy without having to change the wheel rotation? I'd like to keep my wheel at 270 and play RR in mame but without the incredibly twitchy feel. What MAME settings are you using?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #980 on: December 22, 2016, 06:37:36 am »
I'm not playing ridge racer in MAME.
Last time my cab was together I was using vivanonno.

I've only ever played it in MAME on my laptop with a gamepad.  Oddly enough it's the only PC I have fast enough to run it in MAME.  That was just a bit of testing though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #981 on: December 22, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
So I just finished the 4:3 aspect ratio images.  They would probably be better with another round of cleanups, but they are good enough for now.  The reason I did both 4:3 and 16:9 versions is because I have to stretch these particular images and I didn't want the cars distorted in the two most popular aspects. 

I want to clean some stuff up and add a few new options, but I'm basically done.  I want to try to get this done tonight or tomorrow as I'll be spending the bulk of the weekend with family.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #982 on: December 23, 2016, 03:20:18 pm »
We are in the home stretch now.  I've started working on a new version of the config program as well as implementing the new features as options.  I've got the lan macro working in "master" mode but I need to enter the options for slave.  As of now you can only run the game in arcade mode OR lan mode... they are incompatible with each other.  In later releases this will change and you can start a lan game via the "-lan" command line flag, so for now just put the game in your FE twice, one for multiplayer and one for single player.

As of now the Lan mode is pretty basic.  On the master pc, a lan game is started via the settings you made in the fxtcfg when you press start at the title screen.  On the slave pcs, only the car, it's color, the transmission, and the radio options are set (as that all you can set when you join) and the macro waits until the lobby name you specified appears before entering. 

As of now, in either case it just dumps you into the Lan menu with the "start game" button selected and pressing start will start the game, but your controls are unlocked so you can tweak additional settings. 

I need to finish the config program, which is quite complicated now, and then it's release time!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #983 on: December 24, 2016, 12:06:48 am »
I didn't manage to finish the lan mode, but it sorta works and is in there.  Find it at the usual place

Enjoy and remember that we are now in the holiday season, so bugs and stuff will have to wait. 

avens

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2019, 04:23:57 am
« Reply #984 on: December 25, 2016, 10:53:46 am »
I'm encountering three major issues, with OutRun 2006 itself and with the patch. I hope you can help me.

1.- The game runs way too fast. Back in the CRT days that was easily fixed, as in Windows XP I just set the screen hz to 60 and forced vsync. Nowadays, in Windows 10 and using a 144hz LCD screen, even when I do that in the nvidia control panel (60hz vsync on) the game still runs too fast.
2.- When I run OR2FXT my controller analog inputs aren't recognized in-game, therefore I can't drive. They do work on OR2006C2C. I have tried setting this out on the in-game menu, where it is recognized and recognized well, but in-game it just doesn't. Also, in the menus they do work, but work weirdly.
3.- In OR2FXT, at different points I'm encountering an error that says "OutRun 2006: Feel The Road has stopped working".

I haven't installed the HD textures, nor fiddled with anything. I'm using the 2.4 version. Thanks in advance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #985 on: December 26, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
1.  Lock the frame rate with your video card.  Vsync isn't enough.
2.  They work, but you've probably enabled wheel override in the fxtconfig program, at which point you set your wheel there instead of in-game. 
3.  Sorry but telling me you get an error isn't helpful.... I need some context. 

pintricks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2017, 11:13:53 am
« Reply #986 on: December 29, 2016, 03:06:24 am »
Hi,
Thanks for the new update. Yeah, LAN mode is finally there for my 2 player cab.
Sadly, it didn't work. In the config program the "enable lan" checkbox did not "stick" to enable. When I close the config tool and open it again, it's always unchecked. All other option did save fine.
In game, the lan mode doesn't work. It's just the normal menu structure like usual, as if the lan option is not enabled.
When I select a single player game I got a "subscript out of range (9)" error shortly after the race starts. (so not in the menu screens, but in the race itself).

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #987 on: December 30, 2016, 05:38:35 pm »
Well I thought I was done for a while, but I just got it in my head to document all the archives and release my packing/unpacking tool. 

I'm about 75% done atm. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #988 on: December 30, 2016, 10:01:32 pm »
So all the archives that I know anything about are now documented.  Since it is easy to look stuff up now I've started on a couple of texture mods.  One replaces the 2k6 loading screen with the 2SP one, so things match when using arcade mode.  I'm also going to make one that deletes the tacho/speedo for the new hud. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #989 on: January 01, 2017, 02:10:43 pm »
So I've altered the fxtcfg program to facilitate the management of third party mods.  I am currently in the process of converting the texture packs into the new style of mods and documenting everything.  This also means that I can work on the HUD deletion mod at my leisure and release it as a separate pack instead of having to make a whole new release of the wrapper.  More incoming then I'm done this time... seriously... no more working this project for a while as I'm neglecting others. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #990 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:15 pm »
I made a preliminary hud deletion texture mod.  It just does the timer and the instrument cluster atm, but it looks pretty good.  I'll clean up the HUD code a bit tomorrow and perhaps externalize the textures (as the timer could use some work).  What's keeping me from replacing the rest of the hud is basically figuring out the variables that tell the game which graphics to display.  Heart Attack and Outrun display the elapsed time, time left and score/hearts while time attack shows the ghost positions, ect.  Animated hud elements will never be replaced... that's just too much work but even with what little I've already done the game should be playable on 3+ monitor setups as all the stretched elements are at the extreme top/bottom of the screen and won't get in the way. 

IISargeII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:16:43 pm
« Reply #991 on: January 03, 2017, 07:19:03 am »
Screenshot looks great, nice work :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #992 on: January 03, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
Thanks man.  It's still very much a  work in progress though.  I'm currently working on packs to give the characters their alt costumes, but I've been a bit busy, so it'll probably be this weekend before I can release it all. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #993 on: January 04, 2017, 02:27:41 am »
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU !!! for this amazing project, I followed this from the start and you really have taken the simple PC Outrun2 coast to coast to new places

Keep up the good work Howard

appeardk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #994 on: January 05, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »
Hi again

I have run into a new problem with my setup that I'm hoping is just a configuration issue.

I upgraded my pedals from the standard plastic thrustmaster to a external set which connects as a secondary controller via USB.

To get the game to see the pedals I had to enable "Pedal override" thenm choose Joystick ID2 and use Accelerator axis X (Bottom) and Brake Axis Y (Bottom).

But by enabling the override I can no longer drift.

Is there a way to run this pedal-configuration without the override, OR is there a hope sometime in the future the override will not break drifting?

THANKS!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:27:52 pm by appeardk »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #995 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:18 pm »
The override issue has been mentioned several times in this thread and I believe also in the readme.  So far I haven't been able to fix it.  The best solution is to map the pedals within the game. 

Shekel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2018, 05:17:51 am
« Reply #996 on: January 05, 2017, 07:13:37 pm »
I was going to have a poke around the textures but OutRunX is giving me this error.

appeardk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #997 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »
Thank you howard. But if I uncheck override the pedals wont register in the game. It's like it's not getting a signal from the pedals.

Any clues?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #998 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:49 pm »
I was going to have a poke around the textures but OutRunX is giving me this error.

You need comdlg32.ocx.  It's usually included with windows so I'm unsure why you don't have it. Anyway, google is your friend. 

Shekel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2018, 05:17:51 am
« Reply #999 on: January 05, 2017, 09:46:00 pm »
I've already tried re-registering it, but nothing works. Is there anything else I can use to unpack the files?

Edit: No, worries, works now. I got Visual Basic 6.0 and a Service Pack 6 update.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:24:23 pm by Shekel »