Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359318 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #880 on: October 09, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
More info...... the car global value has the cars in the order you see them in the lan car select (first car is 0), with the OR2 cars being 15-28.  Any value outside of that range seems to crash the game, so no NPCs yet.  I did test the 2k6 cars though and you can use them in 2sp mode!  In addition the handling of the cars can be toggeled between 2sp and 2k6.

Songs are a bit more forgiving....

0-27 are the songs in the order they are numbered in the sound folder.  All the extra tracks are in there as well... like so:

============================================================================
67=silence
66=or2ed5
65=or2ed4
64=or2ed3b
63=or2ed3a
62=or2ed2
61=or2ed1

33-60= song select samples (in order)

32=title_01
31=title_pattern1
30=beach wave (menu sfx)
29=sega!
28=last wave (game over song)
================================================

Note that tracks 29, 31 and 32 aren't used in the game and are essentially free slots.

So it would be possible to use the three empty slots to add in tracks.  Also it appears that there isn't a upwards bound check in the array, so if it were re-directed in code, a custom playlist could be used. 

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #881 on: October 10, 2016, 12:02:58 am »
awesome Howard

Looking forward to seeing your progress

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #882 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:36 am »
Keep this up!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #883 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:48 am »
Why am I not getting email replies to bumped threads? :(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #884 on: October 10, 2016, 12:30:50 pm »
You might want to ask Saint.  It could be a side-effect of the site rebuild.  He's been busy though. 

Something I forgot to mention.  One of the course modes I found in the lan testing was an "all stages" mode.  I didn't get a chance to test it and setting the mode requires setting a few flags, so I'll have to find it again, but that was one I was really interested in.  By all stages I mean all the outrun 2 stages AND all the 2sp stages... so every stage in the game.  There appears to be a "special" course type and lots of modes like that are included.  Who knows if they are complete or not.  There are some unused track definitions in the game though, so cross your fingers. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #885 on: October 10, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »
Bah!  I just tried it.  All Stages mode crashes.  There are several in the special category though, so I guess I'll have to sit down and try them all one evening.  I know the game came with some odd stuff like the course order for the PSP version, so maybe I'll get lucky with one of the other modes.   

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:54:30 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #886 on: October 10, 2016, 01:03:00 pm »
Good question.   :dunno

Added thread here in Forum Discussion for anyone who wants to throw in their $0.02 on the subject.

Scott

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #887 on: October 10, 2016, 06:12:28 pm »
Good question.   :dunno

Added thread here in Forum Discussion for anyone who wants to throw in their $0.02 on the subject.

Scott

OK you can disregard... I think it's because I didn't read the thread from the last email notification I got and thus, no more notifications were sent. I now got one for this thread a few hours ago so it seems to be working OK now. My bad. Make sure you click those notification links gentlemen ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #888 on: October 16, 2016, 02:03:13 pm »
I've been having computer issues.... sorry for the lack of updates.  Anyway just before I quit I found two more interesting values.... the absolute X angle and Z elevation of the car.  It gives us a vague idea of which way the car is turning and if it's going up a hill or not, but because it's an absolute value I'm not sure how useful it is.  To clarify, it doesn't show the car's orientation in relationship to the camera or road, but rather it's real world coordinates and elevation (like due north at 1000 feet above sea level).  By comparing this value to the previous value, it should be possible to determine how much left or right the car has turned and if it's going up or down a hill.  The Y value should be in that area as well, but as you can imagine, it's quite difficult to compare values and drive at the same time. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #889 on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
I hooked up the X and Z values I found last night and coded it in such a way that instead of an absolute value, the change in value from one frame to the next is displayed.  It looks like it would be good enough for a rudimentary motion sim, with the x change determining the left/right tilt and the z change doing the up/down tilt.  The values are -1 to 1 so they could be scaled to anything. 

I should be able to use that to put some turn force on the wheel, but I need some example code.... I'm not exactly sure how to apply that mathematically. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #890 on: October 20, 2016, 02:09:48 pm »
*cough* Offroad Thunder *cough*

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #891 on: October 20, 2016, 10:40:29 pm »
Bah!  It's coming ok. 

So I ran it on my rig and there is something I've been meaning to fix for a while.... namely the hard-coded buttons in the menus.  There is no easy way to do it.  Basically I need to monitor the VR1 button found in VR override and if it's pressed hack the assembly to block all external outputs and press the F2 key.  When it's released I'll restore the assembly.  If these were gameplay buttons it could pose a problem but as you'll only be pressing one button at a time in the menus, it should be fine. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #892 on: October 21, 2016, 12:13:22 am »
Ok I put that in and it seems to work fine.  I'll have to re-think my cab's layout though.  I had the vr buttons mapped to U/D/L and R as suggested and this new patch fixes the fact that I can't use the VR button in the arcade menus, but the 2k6 menus need an up button and pressing up with the new code makes the license menu pop up.  Hmm....

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #893 on: October 21, 2016, 04:45:33 am »
Howard.....I'm extremely happy to hear that you're attempting to put some wheel torque force into the game because you know what...? I was able to quickly fire up OOA on my PS3 and actually played with my Bodnar PC FFB wheel. I cannot begin to describe how good the torque FFB is in the PS3 version! It is simply INCREDIBLE!!! Oddly enough, there didn't seem to be any vibration type effects, at least not through my wheel, but man, the spring and torque FFB in that version is insanely good! I immediately thought to myself "Man...if Howard can put some torque ffb that feels similar to OOA PS3 into FXT, then the PC version will no doubt be KING!!" So please see what you can do in this regard. I would LOVE to have my wheel fight back at me and pull to the right or left depending on what the car is doing.

On a side related sad note, I'm afraid I can no long play Outrun Online Arcade on my PS3 system. I have the game installed on my 60GB HDD, but didn't have enough space to install GT6 so I decided to swap a bigger drive into the PS3, but now OOA doesn't show up because I had downloaded it from a friend and therefore can't re-download the game from the PS Store :( Tried contacting him but no response and I doubt I'll hear from him because I think he told me he sold his console and moved on to Xbox gaming. Then tried re-installing my old 60gb HDD back into the console but that didn't work either, so now I'm stuck with no OutRun Online Arcade for PS3  :hissy: :angry: :hissy: :embarassed:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #894 on: October 21, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »
Well, like I said, I need some examples.  I'm not exactly sure how torque is applied.  I mean is the center spring simply increased in force or is a constant force with a specific direction set ect....

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #895 on: October 21, 2016, 02:55:26 pm »
How about getting pcsx2 and try out the Outrun 2 SP Japan version which gives ffb.

It was very good when I tried it and should be a good example

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #896 on: October 21, 2016, 03:04:00 pm »
I don't need an example of how it feels, I need an example of how to code it. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #897 on: October 21, 2016, 03:15:08 pm »
Oh I see. Sorry

Only thing would be if you can look at something like Supermodel emulator since it's open source, would that show how they coded ffb? Properly dumb answer so I'll see myself out  :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #898 on: October 21, 2016, 07:38:14 pm »
I dunno to be honest.  I'll take a look.  I'm not sure if it has torque tbh because I don't have the settings tweaked yet.  There's no such thing as a dumb answer.... unless it is.  ;)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #899 on: October 22, 2016, 02:08:12 am »
Alright then, stupid reply time. Could you reason it out? As in, when cornering a real car, the steering wheel will pull to center. When drifting, it's more complicated, but you get the picture. And then work out what kerb-collisions and such would do. Then again, it's hardly a real car we're talking about.

Even better might be to build a system that lets users set what type of feedback (& strength?) for each class of event? Or one that *you* can modfiy based on people's feedback?

I'm not trying to make more work for you, just saying. Don't even have force-feedback wheels yet, but the success of this incredible project is going to be a pretty hefty kick towards some. I'm also not using the mod yet, as I am using a LAN setup, and need to get to that :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #900 on: October 22, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »
Eh not really.  I mean I can just try stuff and maybe luck into it, but I haven't been very successful thus far.

Also for the rest of your suggestion please download the program and take a look.... the effects are already 100% configurable. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #901 on: October 22, 2016, 03:59:23 pm »
I actually played it a bit last night but found my outputs don't seem to work correctly

They all show in mamehooker and I set them up. Start button flashes and moves between 0 and 1 on mamehooker every half second or so as it should.

However the view outputs do wierd stuff, 2 of them are always on and I put in windowed mode and when I change view the outputs seem to change from 0 to 2 and some from 2 to 1 etc

What could be causing this?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #902 on: October 22, 2016, 06:59:42 pm »
I just cleaned up the light outputs so that might be the issue.  I don't change the buttons based upon which is pressed, rather I change them based on which camera angle is detected (this way when the game defaults to a camera at start, they are correct), so depending upon your view setup they can get a bit wonky.  Honestly until I hook everything up on my cab it's difficult to test.  The lights are hooked up and work, but I haven't installed mamehooker yet. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #903 on: October 22, 2016, 10:13:55 pm »
I installed mamehooker on my rig and played a game.  Thus far everything is working good, including my Arduino code for the AVR controlling all of my I/O devices.  I want to add a couple of features and then FXT is due for another bug-fix release.  Then we will tackle multiplayer and better force-feedback. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:17 am »
I started preliminary stuff for allowing 2k6 cars in arcade mode.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to load models from 2k6 in the car select, so I downloaded all of those images Thunderwing did for me an eternity ago and I intend to put those to good use.  Basically I'll do it like this:  if you move the cursor all the way to the right-most car and press right again, it'll activate the bonus cars and display the first one.  More presses to the right will progress the menu.  If you press right you can back out and return to the standard cars. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #905 on: October 23, 2016, 03:54:06 am »
I couldn't sleep so I went ahead and made a rudimentary menu for the bonus car select in arcade mode.  All that's left is to add a function to actually write the new car value, but that is fairly easy to do.  I made the images needed, but honestly they are a tad bit crude.  My vision still isn't 100% in that one eye and thus my photo-shop-fu isn't what it used to be.  I made a template though, so anyone that wants to have a go can work on cleaning them up. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #906 on: October 23, 2016, 01:51:18 pm »
Ok the bonus car mode has been added! 

It's super crude but it works.  I haven't did a video in a while so maybe I'll throw one up this evening.  I had hoped that my new video card would have made video capture easier, but it only captures natively with directX games and my overlay is gdi, so good old bandicam to the rescue.  That is unless someone has a better suggestion.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #907 on: October 23, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
Sounds good Howard

I've used open broadcaster software with pretry good success too before

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2016, 04:53:11 pm »
New video:

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:21 am »
Nice work! Keep plugging away bro!  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2016, 01:04:17 pm »
Nice!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2016, 11:39:49 pm »
Hey so I found a very helpful variable.  I found the position of the song array number for the playback of the samples in SP mode.  If I change the track number it plays a different song!  That should make adding in bonus music for arcade mode very easy.  I'll do it like the bonus cars... highlight random and keep pressing right. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #912 on: October 25, 2016, 11:57:24 am »
So I added in the bonus soundtracks to the menu.  This time it was rather easy since I have full control over the audio in that screen.  Actually writing the code to change the song is going to be a bit more difficult this time as the radio is the last menu before the game loads.  I might just permanently block the game's control via no-op and control the whole thing myself, then it wouldn't matter what screen it's in.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #913 on: October 25, 2016, 12:43:37 pm »
Ok I've been staring at the radio menu too long.  I've been meaning to hd-ify the arcade mode radio for quite some time, but I couldn't make out the text.  Well if you squint and look at it at just the right angle the first three labels for the preset buttons are "icchi", "ni" and "san".  I'm no expert in foreign languages, but that's 1-3 in Japanese.  So unless someone with much better eyesight than me can translate, I'm going to have to wing it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #914 on: October 25, 2016, 11:47:22 pm »
Ok the new bonus songs are in place. 

So we've got rumble, arcade mode with ALL the cars and ALL the songs AND the 2k6 challenges.  Outrun Online Arcade can suck it.  ;-P

You know I'm slowly but surely whittling down my list of things I wanted to get done.  I might actually finish a project for once. 

Anyway there's some cosmetic stuff to take care of with the new menus.... mostly I want to make a little graphic letting you know you are accessing bonus content and cover up the "random" message for the songs with a fake EQ.  I figure I'll be ready for a new release by the weekend. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:45 am »
I'm kicking butt tonight.  I looked at the way the textures are stored and it appeared that I could make any car any color..... turns out I was right.  Stay tuned. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2016, 10:38:53 pm »
Hmmmm...... well I think everyone will have to wait for the color picker.  It turns out that the index used for the menus and the game are different, there is a different upward bound for each car, and if you go too high, the game will crash.  So a database would have to be created and that's just a lot of work.  Don't get me wrong, eventually I'll add it, but there are more interesting things to work on first. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:41 pm »
So I made a fake EQ for when you are selecting bonus songs in arcade mode.  It doesn't look 100% like the game's official one due to timing issues, but it's a pretty close approximation.  I also cleaned up the car images a bit.  I'm thinking of making these images external, because people might want to make a better version. 

I think it may be time for another vid this evening. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #918 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
New Video

I think I got the fake radio menu fairly seamless.  Let me know what you think.

IISargeII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:16:43 pm
« Reply #919 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:03 am »
Long time lurker here, many years spent watching these forums :)

Anyway...

Great work with Outrun, Howard. I'm a big fan of Sega arcade racing games in general and this one is towards the top of the list. I do have a couple of questions that have been bothering me for quite a while, especially since I play this game alot. I made a 'loosely arcade inspired' cockpit not long back which has things like a Daytona USA Ketz shifter, my own mock up of the Daytona VR button panel (Basic at best, but it works), and a sequential shifter for games that use more than the 4 gears provided by the Ketz H shifter. Since all these toys use separate USB ports, I have never managed to get them to play nice with Outrun 2 but made do with using Automatic gears (My wheel doesn't have paddles). I see in your FXT config that you can set overrides and joystick ID's etc, but regardless of how I set them, Outrun 2 only works with one input device at a time. Any advice would be appreciated, as I've hit a brick wall as far as my own ideas go! :)

The second question isn't really important, but since I'm here typing this, I may aswell ask;

I have triple monitors which I generally use to play Outrun. Since your FXT hack/mod, I've noticed that the menus actually scale on the centre screen. This is great because I can actually read them now, rather than having them stretched across all 3 monitors. The game itself looks lovely on the 3 screens, apart from the HUD. It's still playable and fun, I just wondered if there was a way to scale the HUD? I'm running the game at 11520x2160 (nVidia Surround).

Thanks again for all the great work, love it. :)