Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359207 times)

Loafmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #760 on: August 04, 2015, 01:39:00 pm »
Real world stuff happens, no worries here if it takes a little longer but I'd be lying if I didn't say the apparent near release excites me to no end!  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #761 on: August 04, 2015, 04:50:32 pm »
I haven't had a chance to mess with it since I finished the textures, but rest assured it'll be out the door soon enough.  I'm giving myself the goal of the end of august to get a release out the door and fix any bugs that we find.  I can't get anymore specific than that unfortunately.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #762 on: August 10, 2015, 05:55:52 pm »
I haven't been feeling well lately... so I'm mostly just hanging around BUT.....  I started packing up those texture packs I finished the other day.  They'll have to be tested, which is fairly easy as the game loads the entirety of the sprites folder upon loading a race and then I have to convert them to diff files. 

I actually might not be able to do that because the packages are compressed, but we'll see. 

Anyway I'm moving right along, maybe not as quickly as I would like, but still, it's progress.   

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #763 on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:15 pm »
Feel better bro.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #764 on: August 11, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »
I'm working on it. 

Ok first test of the new texture packs...... eh I screwed something up.  It looks like I packed up the psd files as well.  OOPS!  I'll fix it this evening and then button up any minor tidbits the exe needs. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #765 on: August 12, 2015, 02:04:33 pm »
Ok, I got those fixed, or at least I think.  Sorry my foreign language friends but I'm not going to do extensive testing on the foreign lang packs.  I ran the main game and went through the menus and they all show up, so that should be fine. 

I'll try some diffs this evening and go ahead and add in those extra outputs I found this go around.  I think a release is imminent. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #766 on: August 12, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »
Winter is coming.  ;)

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:23:17 pm
« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
Howard you are the best
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:20:25 pm by bandicoot »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2015, 02:33:54 pm »
WTF?  That song is from the Karate Kid, not Rocky 3.  Blasphemy!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #769 on: August 12, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
Heh.... 

Well I tried the diff file route.... I don't think it'll be worth our time.  The largest texture files are 3mb a piece and it saved a whole .75 mb off of it.  So by DIFFing the whole set it *might* take 5-10 megs off of a 33mb package. 

So what I'll do instead is this.... Each language will get it's own separate pack and you can download the one you want.  That'll make the total for the packs about 8 megs, which isn't crazy big or anything.  Even the 33mb isn't that big, I just don't want to hammer the site with big downloads. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:50 pm »
Btw....  I'm going to start updating the look of my apps as they get a new release.  For years I didn't do it because it meant adding code that wasn't compatible with windows 9X.  That issue is long gone, but I guess you just get used to doing things a certain way. 

So the new fxtconfig will mimic the look or whatever OS you have on your machine (XP, Vista, 7, 10 , ect)

That being said, if people have problems running the new fxtconfig, I'll remove it as it isn't worth the time to debug. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #771 on: August 12, 2015, 10:55:56 pm »
Winter is coming.  ;)

The night is dark and full of terrors
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #772 on: August 14, 2015, 12:32:06 am »
Alright guys I've been hacking away at it again tonight.  It's slow going, but I'm making steady progress. 

I added in the headlight lamp output which required a bit of special code as the memory value I read isn't straight forward.  I also added a rather convoluted function to read the current car you have selected.  It isn't important right now, but when I do a full-on hud replacement, it'll tell me which tachometer to display.  I'll go ahead and hook those up as outputs as well... who knows, they might be handy for someone... maybe for motion sim usage?

I know the end of summer is a crappy time for a release, but it looks like I'll make that deadline anyway.  I feel the breath of the white walkers on my back. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #773 on: August 14, 2015, 08:55:47 am »
Alright guys I've been hacking away at it again tonight.  It's slow going, but I'm making
I know the end of summer is a crappy time for a release, but it looks like I'll make that deadline anyway.  I feel the breath of the white walkers on my back.

Any time is a good time for release.  I'm glad you got the reference.  :D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #774 on: August 14, 2015, 08:59:28 am »
I tend to game more in the fall and winter than I do the summer, so I think its a great time for a release.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #775 on: August 16, 2015, 12:34:54 pm »
I couldn't sleep last night, so I messed around with the game a little more.  One thing I found out quite by accident is that a lot of those "missing" effects in the game are still there... it's just the game won't show them without a little help.

Due to the big windows 10 upgrade I lost catalyst control center (amd isn't making new drivers, long story) and installed the radeon pro toolkit.  I figured I would optimize the game by forcing higher settings than it supports and was pleasantly surprised to find that some things that just seemed a little bit off on the port, like the sky's brightness, lens flares, mist, ect were suddenly restored!  The only thing still missing is that colored bloom.  Anyway I don't think it is the game's fault.... it was optimized for decade old video cards.  So you guys might want to try it.  I especially recommend maxing out the level of detail on the textures and mip-maps.  It seems to then render the road textures at a higher quality than the arcade game, making the game look slightly less dated. 

Shun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2020, 06:57:33 pm
« Reply #776 on: August 16, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »
Ok I implemented the "Arcade Mode" aka skipping the 2k6 menu and going straight into outrun 2 SP mode.  It's sort of a good news bad news thing.  The good news is it works..... If you press start on the title screen video you'll go almost immediately into the SP loading screen.  If you press back at the 2SP car select, you'll be dumped to the title screen vid instead of the main menu. 

The bad news is it isn't exactly 100% stable.  I set the menu selection to 2SP, No Op the code that collects keyboard data, set the keyboard to "spacebar" and then off again and restore the keyboard code.  So it's sort of like simulating a keypress only more exact.  The thing is I can't skip over that main menu... it has to load or else the game crashes.  So I'm trying to make the delay as short as possible to keep you from seeing the menu (it does flash for an instant) and yet slow enough so the menu loads.

This is great. Thanks Howard! I tried having a look at this with cheat engine and managed to find the memory address for changing the menus but thats as far as I got. I'm interested to know how you managed to skip straight to the arcade mode.
Work In Progress:
Two Phase Bartop With Flush Mounted Dreamcast. 75% Complete
Pac-Man Cabaret scratch build: & BYOAC Project thread

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #777 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »
I figured I would optimize the game by forcing higher settings than it supports and was pleasantly surprised to find that some things that just seemed a little bit off on the port, like the sky's brightness, lens flares, mist, ect were suddenly restored!  The only thing still missing is that colored bloom.  Anyway I don't think it is the game's fault.... it was optimized for decade old video cards.  So you guys might want to try it. 

Hey Howard, can you explain how we can try this? Cheers.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #778 on: August 16, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
Well it'll vary depending upon your video card....  But with ati/amd cards you can use radeonpro or raptor and I'm not sure what the NVidia equivalent is.  Basically use those per exe video card options, set one up for the outrun exe (and fxt exe just to be sure) and go to the options where you can override the game's preference.  Then max everything and turn all optional features on.  (Except vsync, the game doesn't like it for some reason).  I'm not sure which options started enabling the features, but my guess is it's a combination of all of them. 

Forcing adaptive luma (using green as luma) seemed to really saturate the colors.  One of the other options must have made the shaders more pronounced.  Remember that the game only allows 2x anti-aliasing in it's own options ect, so it's really behind the times. 

Shun:  It's basically as I described it.  I let the main menu load and then instantly set the selection to 2SP.... no op the keyboard monitoring code.... set the keyboard state to "spacebar" to make it load 2SP and then restore the original assembly.  I'll release my latest cheat engine files later on this week.  It might help.... I know it helped the motion sim guys write the 2006 plugin.  ;)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #779 on: August 16, 2015, 07:15:19 pm »
Thanks dude!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #780 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:36 pm »
Well I've reached the limits of what I can do with regular memory manipulation on my projects, so I'm teaching myself about code caves.  I'm learning to code in assembly.....No good could come from this.  ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #781 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:19 am »
Well I've reached the limits of what I can do with regular memory manipulation on my projects, so I'm teaching myself about code caves.  I'm learning to code in assembly.....No good could come from this.  ;)

Sounds time consuming.
Don't forget to go outside every once in a while.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #782 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:46 pm »
Eh it's not too bad.  I just can't seem to wrap my head around registers and how they do their magic.  Everything else is regular code. 

Cheat engine can search for code caves for me, so that's a great help... if I understand correctly to do a proper cave I find a 5 byte command somewhere where I want to edit things, re-write it to "jump" to the cave.... do my custom code and any code I over wrote with the jump command, and then "jump" back to the next line in the original code.  Assembly is goofy though, so I have to look up every single function... I just don't know any of them. 

I'm wanting to use caves on a few of the commands that look up files to load and have them read a writeable memory location instead... then I can change stuff like the passenger and the song track on the fly.  But that's the next build.  I'm going to try and package everything up tonight. 

*edit*

Outside?  They still have that?  I better cut the grass then.  :D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #783 on: August 18, 2015, 04:06:44 am »
I hooked up the wheel and ran tests on the force-feedback code.  I'm having a calibration issue (the wheel leans to the left) but I think that's the wheel itself and not my code.  I'm still not happy with how the wheel misbehaves in menus, but my guess is most people use directional arrows or what-not to navigate anyway, so it's good enough for now. 

Ok I'll pack things up tomorrow and figure out how to distribute this bad boy.

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 pm
  • Bingo!
« Reply #784 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:05 am »
Sounds great. Cant wait :-)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #785 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:46 pm »
I hooked up the wheel and ran tests on the force-feedback code.  I'm having a calibration issue (the wheel leans to the left) but I think that's the wheel itself and not my code.  I'm still not happy with how the wheel misbehaves in menus, but my guess is most people use directional arrows or what-not to navigate anyway, so it's good enough for now. 

Howard just out of curiosity can you expand a bit on what type of ffb effects you've implemented into the hack? In other words, will the game now deliver simple rumble effects when colliding with other objects, or will it deliver that PLUS also deliver any kind of torque feedback depending on what the car is doing(ala Daytona USA/Sega Rally/etc)?

Just curious but keep up the good work my friend  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #786 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »

Howard just out of curiosity can you expand a bit on what type of ffb effects you've implemented into the hack? In other words, will the game now deliver simple rumble effects when colliding with other objects, or will it deliver that PLUS also deliver any kind of torque feedback depending on what the car is doing(ala Daytona USA/Sega Rally/etc)?

Just curious but keep up the good work my friend  :cheers:

Also Howard, and I think this may have been asked before so apologies if I'm getting you to repeat yourself, does the hack do anything about the noticeable deadzone in the game when you play with a wheel?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #787 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:41 pm »
Right now there aren't any torque effects, but that's something we can add later.  The game will use more or less the same modular force feedback system that mamehooker does, so you can write your own effects.  I just want to start simple.  Right now the FF is mirroring what you get on the xinput gamepads.  I have a square wave and sine wave setup for the wheel.  Variables are mixed and sent to both effects. 

The deadzone isn't fixed yet.  I have the ability to completely block and overwrite the game's wheel input though, so eventually it'll be possible.  When you get down to the game level it's only using one byte of data for the wheel though (0-255) so the resolution is never going to be that great.  It's decidedly an arcade racer. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #788 on: August 18, 2015, 11:28:15 pm »
Right now there aren't any torque effects, but that's something we can add later.  The game will use more or less the same modular force feedback system that mamehooker does, so you can write your own effects.  I just want to start simple.  Right now the FF is mirroring what you get on the xinput gamepads.  I have a square wave and sine wave setup for the wheel.  Variables are mixed and sent to both effects. 

The deadzone isn't fixed yet.  I have the ability to completely block and overwrite the game's wheel input though, so eventually it'll be possible.  When you get down to the game level it's only using one byte of data for the wheel though (0-255) so the resolution is never going to be that great.  It's decidedly an arcade racer.

Thanks a bunch for the reply Howard. It's good to know that torque effects can be added later, as well as overwriting the game's wheel input to allow complete elimination of the deadzone. Great news. Looking forward to updates on future progress in that regard  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #789 on: August 19, 2015, 02:55:58 pm »
Yeah, likewise Howard, cheers for the reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #790 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:02 pm »
For the record yes it's done... I was working on the readme this morning. I'm having headache issues unfortunately, so packing everything up and making sure you guys get everything that you need (lots of external files this time) is taking a while.  Hopefully tonight. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #791 on: August 19, 2015, 06:15:33 pm »
For the record yes it's done... I was working on the readme this morning. I'm having headache issues unfortunately, so packing everything up and making sure you guys get everything that you need (lots of external files this time) is taking a while.  Hopefully tonight.

You might wanna try some Advil. I switched to that from Tylenol and it seems to work better for headaches than Tylenol. Also as someone who gets them a bit often as well, I advise you to never go through the day without eating at least something. Lack of food builds up gas and that can cause migranes as well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #792 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:23 pm »
The kidney doctor doesn't like me taking advil.  I have maxalt to take and they are better than nothing, but that's about it. 

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #793 on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:24 am »
Advils:  Funny those work better for me too compared to Tylenol's but a life decision (bariatric surgery) has deemed it impossible for me to take any Advils for the rest of life.  Oh the humanity! ;)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #794 on: August 20, 2015, 09:23:12 am »
ugh Maxalt, it treats migraines but doent do anything to prevent them.  For headaches my go to is now Excedrin its just the right mix of acetaminophen, aspirin , and caffeine but if you already have a prescription for Maxalt I dont think Excedrin is going to work any better than that.

Also, you shouldnt bother doing the readme, no one is going to read it and you're gonna get hit with questions in this thread or in PMs anyway  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #795 on: August 20, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »
Eh, like I said it's better than nothing.  They have me on several preventative medications, but they don't help all that well either. 

The readme file is more for my own benefit.  I have people asking me Troubleshooter 2 questions and I don't have a clue what to tell them because it's been so long since I worked on it I can no longer remember any of it's quirks from memory.  So I try to document as much as possible before someone puts something shiny in my general direction and I get distracted. 

kingpinzero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2021, 11:43:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #796 on: August 21, 2015, 06:25:53 am »
I couldn't sleep last night, so I messed around with the game a little more.  One thing I found out quite by accident is that a lot of those "missing" effects in the game are still there... it's just the game won't show them without a little help.

Due to the big windows 10 upgrade I lost catalyst control center (amd isn't making new drivers, long story) and installed the radeon pro toolkit.  I figured I would optimize the game by forcing higher settings than it supports and was pleasantly surprised to find that some things that just seemed a little bit off on the port, like the sky's brightness, lens flares, mist, ect were suddenly restored!  The only thing still missing is that colored bloom.  Anyway I don't think it is the game's fault.... it was optimized for decade old video cards.  So you guys might want to try it.  I especially recommend maxing out the level of detail on the textures and mip-maps.  It seems to then render the road textures at a higher quality than the arcade game, making the game look slightly less dated.

Howard i've registered only to humbly thank you for the huge optimizations made for this game.

Also i've been curious to know which settings you used to get the effects back: could you post some screenshots of Radeonpro?
I'm an nvidia users with deep knowledge of the driver framework, i would like to know if i can replicate the settings to force the game to show them.

Thank you alot.

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #797 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:40 am »
Troubleshooter 2? I will check it. Unfortunately not worked with EMS Topgun IIs, but I will check it again on any update.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #798 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:17 pm »
A last minute addition.  I didn't like the way I handle alt music so I re-did it.  Now just take an ogg, have it match the original file name only with a ".alt" extension make a ".tag" file with the same naming scheme to tell the program the song title and you are good to go. 

Still on schedule.... I think the readme is done (or done enough) so it's time for packaging. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #799 on: August 23, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »
One more addition.  I thought about it and you guys are right... the deadzone on the wheel is a problem.  I'm going to fix it tonight.... I've already added the code to monitor another joystick.  (To avoid the problems that this game has with multiple controls, the wheel the vr buttons the gear shift and when I add them the pedals all get separate joysticks)  I'll just have to add the wheel NO OP (already found it ages ago) and some configuration options.