Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359139 times)

Hyenard

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #720 on: July 17, 2015, 06:13:14 pm »
Yeah, right, haha... i thought i did that trick ages ago, and it messed up something... i'll try again. Sorry.

ps: i wonder why they added the "SEEEEGAAAAA" intro sound from Sonic games on Megadrive/Genesis when it's never ever used in the game. It's named "sega441.ogg" :timebomb:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #721 on: July 17, 2015, 09:46:10 pm »
Well there are a couple of cheats for the game... my guess was it was to be used for that but they forgot. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #722 on: July 18, 2015, 02:24:24 am »
Ok I implemented the "Arcade Mode" aka skipping the 2k6 menu and going straight into outrun 2 SP mode.  It's sort of a good news bad news thing.  The good news is it works..... If you press start on the title screen video you'll go almost immediately into the SP loading screen.  If you press back at the 2SP car select, you'll be dumped to the title screen vid instead of the main menu. 

The bad news is it isn't exactly 100% stable.  I set the menu selection to 2SP, No Op the code that collects keyboard data, set the keyboard to "spacebar" and then off again and restore the keyboard code.  So it's sort of like simulating a keypress only more exact.  The thing is I can't skip over that main menu... it has to load or else the game crashes.  So I'm trying to make the delay as short as possible to keep you from seeing the menu (it does flash for an instant) and yet slow enough so the menu loads. 

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #723 on: July 18, 2015, 06:47:22 am »
well Howard my question is if we can hack the bonus track (scud, daytona2), if you confirm me that we can ... I promise to find it  :timebomb:

Hyenard

« Reply #724 on: July 18, 2015, 07:02:35 am »
Well there are a couple of cheats for the game... my guess was it was to be used for that but they forgot.
What cheats? I only know ENTIRETY and MILESANDMILES, for unlock everything and get 1m cash.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #725 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »
That would be two and thus "a couple" wouldn't it?  ;)

Nuexzz:  I already have them... it may be possible, but I haven't even found the bunki table yet that would allow us to swap track order... so don't hold your breath.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #726 on: July 18, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
Ok I started implementing the "force menus to 4:3" mode.  It still needs a bit of coding, but it seems to be working fairly reliably.  In all honesty the menus don't look THAT bad on a 16:9 screen.... I'm just adding the option for people running 3 screen sims and ultra-wide monitors.  I tried that as a test once.... quite hard to navigate with things stretched to 3x their width. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #727 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:32 pm »
I just wanted to say that I was one of the guys requesting a attract to to sp mode a few months back...

And I just read that you worked it out!!!

Fantastic!! 

It's getting very close to the arcade system now

We have the attract vids

The menu mapping, FF feedback

I just wanted to say thanks again Howard

Do still think it may be possible to swap the loading screen changed to please stand by

Just one question, did you release the animated menu select screens for Outrun2006 C2C

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #728 on: July 18, 2015, 06:09:36 pm »
The Scud race and Daytona levels are awesome. Hope they can somehow be put in

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #729 on: July 18, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
I don't think I released the updated textures but honestly I'm not sure.  It's been quite a while since I released the last alpha.  "Please stand by" isn't replaceable via normal texturing because it's quite a bit wider than "loading."  We'll see is all I can say on that. 

As for the bonus stages, even if I could manage to hack them in they have to be converted from xbox files to pc files.  A little birdie gave me some info on that before I left, but I'm still not 100% there. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #730 on: July 18, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »
Ok so 4:3 mode is stable as are the overlays I created for the radios and SP buttons.  Arcade mode is ~fairly~ stable.  All I can say is don't let the kiddies mash a bunch of buttons during load screens and it should be fine.  It isn't working 100% reliably, but I added the option to create your own load screens.  The app loads a random image from the "loading" folder during loading.  I figured thee are a lot of long load screens in this game so it might be nice. 

We are getting close people.  I just keep finding minor bugs and I want this release to be more stable than the last. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #731 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:59 am »
So more minor stuff.... fixed the radio overlay for 2k6 mode so that it will alternate displaying two lines like the original does.  I still need to add a few frames of animation to it though.  After that it can be on permanently. 

The loading screen images are still a little wonky but everything else seems to be working.  Assuming I can get time this week to gather everything up it's time for another release. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #732 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:00 am »
So the 2k6 radio is now officially super-seeded by my hd remake of the image.... I even got the throbber effect correct.  There's one minor problem though....  it seems to pop up in sub-selection menus when selecting the course..... I'll fix this soon.  I also added the ability to display images in the black bars if you are forcing the menus to 4:3 aspect....  I did some stripey lines for the SP menus and it looks really nice.... the 2006 menus... eh I couldn't make anything that looked right. 

I'm still finding minor bugs, so no release yet, but I've stopped adding stuff, so "soon" is a good rough estimate.  ;)

Hyenard

« Reply #733 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:12 pm »
You can fix that one yourself.  All the music files are actually ogg files.  Take the fixed track, save to ogg, rename the appropriate file and you are good to go.
I've eventually tried that method as promised. It seems to work fine. However if you want the very same track, do NOT use the one from the 20th Anniversary box. The quality is just... different.

ps: i've tried using a PS3 controller with the "SCP Driver" and the vibration seems to work! However i can't configure the buttons properly. It's like being in the menus and in-game give two different button layouts or something, lol. Also it seems to crash with that method  :-\ (sorry i don't want to use wired controllers anymore ahah)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #734 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:25 pm »
So I fixed the radio issue... wasn't terribly hard to fix and I'm working on force feedback a little more.  Everything seems to be in working order, but I think I need to add a "spring" variable to the tweaks just so I can turn it off when in menus so the wheel will move freely.  You can do it with the spring on, but it's a workout. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #735 on: July 25, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
I'm still chugging away at this.  I've had some real world things pop up and that's the hold up.  I might try to upload a video tonight just so you guys can see what I've been talking about.

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
« Reply #736 on: July 26, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »
Still loooking the thread in silence.... Sometimes playing OR2 with G25 on my PS3 (with lags - talking about that, I do not know if it is because of 50 Hz area or problem of PS3)

My wife keeps asking me what I want for my Birthday tomorrow... Howard, I want a release !!  :laugh2:

Hyenard

« Reply #737 on: July 26, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »
Sometimes i wish this game received a genuine new version, instead of a licensing issue fiasco which indefinitely erased it from existence. One can dream about a 10th Anniversary version. Hell, everyone is excited about Shenmue III, but all i wanted is a OutRun 3 :( anyway, i remember that the first PS2 version had some problems with certain car colors (maybe one, for a specific car) being able to be purchased but unavailable to use (you just can't select it), is this also in the vanilla PC version?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:02:22 pm by Hyenard »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #738 on: July 26, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
As far as I know it isn't... I'd need more info. 

The problem with Outrun is in the 80's I think they could get away with a car that's obviously a Ferrari without getting sued.  By the time Outrun 2 came along they had to get a license.  I say the solution is to make an Outrunners 2. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #739 on: July 27, 2015, 10:44:52 am »

While the brand is tied to the classic, it's not like this game is a sim.
They could easily get away with original supercar designs IMO.
Everyone will ---smurfette--- and moan at first, but if the gameplay is good the bitching will pass.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #740 on: July 27, 2015, 01:48:41 pm »
Honestly I'd like to see some American muscle in the selection as well.  Maybe some Japanese super-cars also.  Ferrari makes some nice cars, but after the 70's all those nice cars look practically the same and come in the same colors.  Basically Sega needs to do their own take on Crusin' USA

I think Sega All Stars is the successor to Outrun 2, but it's a bit too Mario Kart-ish if you ask me.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #741 on: July 27, 2015, 03:21:59 pm »
Japanese super-cars

That is an awesome idea and would surpass the Ferrari license IMO.
 :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #742 on: July 27, 2015, 03:51:02 pm »
I'd like to see two outruns really.  Outrun Tuned.... Japanese cars drive across japan.  Outrun Muscle.... Muscle cars drive across the US.... route 66 in particular. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #743 on: July 27, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »
Sometimes i wish this game received a genuine new version, instead of a licensing issue fiasco which indefinitely erased it from existence. One can dream about a 10th Anniversary version. Hell, everyone is excited about Shenmue III, but all i wanted is a OutRun 3

Yeah, totally agree, I honestly couldn't care less about Shenmue III, wish Yu Suzuki would make another Outrun instead. As has been already suggested I'd quite happily play one with fake brands of Supercars (never did the Ridge Racer series any harm).

Honestly I'd like to see some American muscle in the selection as well.  Maybe some Japanese super-cars also.  Ferrari makes some nice cars, but after the 70's all those nice cars look practically the same and come in the same colors.  Basically Sega needs to do their own take on Crusin' USA

I think Sega All Stars is the successor to Outrun 2, but it's a bit too Mario Kart-ish if you ask me.

I'm not generally a massive karting game fan, but I love the Sonic All Stars Games though. I just wish there was less of the Sonic and more of the old school Sega in them, something I think they got the balance right more-so with the 2nd one. Getting the final AGES car unlocked is super-awesome. There's something very satisfying about racing the Hornet from Daytona through an Outrun themed level and across the deck of the aircraft carrier from Afterburner. I love all the nods to Golden Axe, Shinobi and Panzer Dragoon also.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #744 on: July 27, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »
So I've been working on the HUD and I'm nearly there as you can see from the attached image.  I've upscaled and/or redrawn the overRev, the rpm gage (still not for all cars), the shifter and the mph numbers.  I still need to do the blue mph numbers (when you are drafting), the mph/kph symbol and the white letters used for time and ect.  I'm just doing this in between sessions of FF testing (still need to add that spring variable I mentioned before). 

I finally found the true Over-rev variable in memory which is great because both the rpms and the light were previously estimated, which isn't great for speed runs.  The reason it took me so long to find it is because it's oddly a analog value (or at least whatever I'm using is).  When you are nearing the max rpms it counts from 0 up to 127.  127=over-rev 

So that's one more mystery solved.  Again, I'll do a release just as soon as I can make time to gather up all the bits and pieces.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #745 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:59 pm »
Here is a quick preview video of arcade mode, the HUD wip and the 4:3 menus.  The video chugs a little but that's because with the new overlays enabled it's no longer a true fullscreen game... I'm capturing the desktop. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #746 on: July 27, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »
Looking good! Hoping for that release soon

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 pm
  • Bingo!
« Reply #747 on: July 28, 2015, 07:31:55 am »
Will it still support widescreen? As far as i know Outrun 2 SP ran at 800x480.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #748 on: July 28, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »
There is a standard and deluxe motion version of 2 SP, this game uses the menus from the standard version. 

The game is running in widescreen in the video, just the menus were altered, but yes, it's an option.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #749 on: July 28, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »
I'm happy just to have ffb and be able to boot to SP.

Have you figured out a way to get rid of the original speedo without losing transparency?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #750 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:19 pm »
I can remove the speedo fairly easily.  I just need to make a blank speedo texture package and replace them all with it. 

I can do transparency, but it's rather costly resource and complexity wise.  I can make the entire overlay that I'm drawing translucent, but it effects the whole overlay, not just individual textures.  What I'm using in the video are transparent gifs, which work rather well aside from the lack of blending.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #751 on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »
I thought the one in the video looked great, maybe even better than the original one with the dark background.
White letters with black outlines would show up on anything.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #752 on: July 28, 2015, 04:12:01 pm »
Yeah the main headache is each car has a different rpm gage.  I've found some addresses that will tell me which car you have selected, but reworking the cluster for each car would take a lot of effort so for now just bare with it. 

I'm thinking what might be nice is a hud that fades away to nearly transparent when you are in the top gear.... no need to see the stuff when you don't have to shift anymore.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #753 on: July 28, 2015, 07:09:35 pm »
I can still boot to menu to play multiplayer right?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #754 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:48 pm »
Not if you have arcade mode enabled, no.  The whole point of arcade mode is to not see menus.  I think I want to investigate starting master/slave multiplayer sessions automagically like the arcade mode goes into 2sp menus all on it's own.  Perhaps add a special multiplayer button that you can press at the title screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #755 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:47 pm »
I'm getting pulled in multiple directions ATM....  still haven't finished the pacman dx hack, the MK9 guys are figuring out mesh swapping, in PM mode I'm helping a few guys out with some mamehooker issues and that doesn't include some personal, real world stuff.  I'm bound and determined to release something though.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but I think I'll be cutting grass. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #756 on: August 01, 2015, 10:36:00 pm »
Ok was I was gathering the stuff up tonight.  I finally remembered where I left off before my super long break from the project.... the textures. 

I finished up the ones that still needed done for the multi language textures and it looks like I need to go back and fix about 4 sprite sheets that have changed since I upgraded the graphics.  So I'll do those tonight. 

Then upon the release of this current alpha I'll have to modify them yet again to remove the original HUD..... (ugh)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #757 on: August 03, 2015, 12:04:32 am »
Alright.  I finished the texture mods.  Yup that's right, I finished them.  Only took 1 ad 1/2 years.  ;)  I know you guys are probably sick of me telling you to be patient, but things keep coming up... there isn't anything I can do about it unfortunately.  Anyway, I'll pack them up tomorrow hopefully.  Now that I'm done they are a tad on the large side, so I better make diff files and distribute them that way. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #758 on: August 03, 2015, 01:56:47 am »

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #759 on: August 03, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »