Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359372 times)

24Hz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2017, 08:00:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2015, 02:08:50 am »
Easy way... nope.  I do have a tool I made which extracts them... it's probably buried in this thread somewhere.  I'll try and fix it up for a new release tomorrow.

Your work is remarkable Howard, I appreciate your dedication!
That'd be a step forward, I could get started on making the replacement textures, for when some kind of repacker is created.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #681 on: June 27, 2015, 12:15:45 pm »
Oh it repacks them... it's just it has to be in a certain folder ect... ect...

Now before you get ahead of yourself you do know that the cars aren't textured right?  The only things on the cars you can reskin are the interior and minor stuff like the tail lights.... the rest is all done via modeling.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #682 on: June 27, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »
Here you go.  It's attached below.  I'll tell you straight away this is my own personal tool, it's buggy, not all formats are supported, ect....

I haven't had a chance to make a new one since I came back.  Most of the junk in the tool is useless to you.  Just use the pack and unpack functions.... a .sz file gets unpacked to a folder, edit the contents of the folder (do NOT add new things inside the folder) and re-pack.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #683 on: June 29, 2015, 06:48:53 pm »
Well I started looking at the game again. 

I'm trying to figure out where the 2d stuff gets rendered....  there has to be an arbituary coordinate system in place because the 2d stuff scales and stretches to the window as you manipulate it.  I managed to block the rendering of the 3d, but that doesn't really help.  If I can make the target area forced to 4:3 it would fix a lot of issues on wide screen monitors. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #684 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:28 am »
So no luck on the aspect stuff, but I did find a bunch of junk for the Radio.  I finally found a variable that tells me when the game is on the radio screen in 2k6 mode.  This is significant because the 2k6 menus are dynamically numbered so the overlays and song detection were hard to do compared to arcade mode.  I might try to find similar variables for all the menus in 2k6 mode, so I can give them swanky high-res overlays like I did arcade mode. 

Menu detection will also help those poor unfortunate souls that are running the game in ultra wide screen mode or multiple monitors.   I will eventually make the game force everything to 4:3 when in the menus to avoid distortion. 

I think another alpha release is long overdue.  Let me clean some things up this week. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #685 on: June 30, 2015, 01:13:31 pm »
Ok I squashed another bug that was preventing release.  You know those fancy new overlays I demoed just before I left?  Well they had a glitch where occasionally the window would loose focus, essentially keeping the inputs from responding.  I managed to fix this via making the overlay visible with an api instead of VS's "show" function, which seems to have done the trick.... more testing is needed. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #686 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:39 am »
looking forward to another alpha!

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #687 on: July 01, 2015, 10:23:50 am »
Yeah, that would be awesome.

24Hz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2017, 08:00:01 pm
« Reply #688 on: July 01, 2015, 10:52:13 pm »
Hey, I failed the captcha so many times I actually gave up posting the other day lol, but as usual your work is phenomenal Howard, thanks for the tool, it's a major help!
Good luck with the next release, I'm excited to test it out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #689 on: July 02, 2015, 02:42:54 pm »
Ok so you guys brought the corrupted save file glitch to my attention before I left....  basically sometimes your save gets corrupted and you'll have another driver or passenger.  I tried to edit the save files, but the format is too complex for me so I thought I could attack it another way.....alter the variables at the license creation screen instead, which aren't encrypted yet.  After a few minutes of fiddling I managed to save the game with a drivers license picture of Clarissa instead of Alberto.  So I started the game and got the image below.  Yup... that's Clarissa driving Clarissa.  She's distorted, but that's because she's using Alberto's animations.... it might be fixable.  I think with a bit more investigation I should be able to let you create a license and select your driver/passenger while doing it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #690 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »
Ok so I found the variable to change the driver specifically.  Now in addition to Alberto, the two other men in the game (yup they are still in there) are selectable and playable without glitching.  I'll have to do a quick run-through to see what happens with the endings..... I think another set of models is used so it might be Alberto again, but hey, new characters.  The girls are selectable as well and the game doesn't crash, but they appear as you see in the pic above. 

I'll keep digging to see if we can access the driver selection as well as the alt costumes (yup there are alt costumes for each model, including the girls). 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #691 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »
Hmm.... ok this is how the character selection works:

When you are doing the challenge courses (hosted by a girl or flagman) the driver you've selected is used along with the host girlfriend as your passenger.
When you are doing Outrun mode, each driver has a different girlfriend, yes when selecting the girls, they have a boyfriend as a passenger. 

The Outrun2 SP mode isn't effected by the license changing... which makes sense because you can't gain outrun miles or select a license in 2SP mode. 

Anyway, I can add in this as a simple hack....  it's a feature we didn't have before right?

One time I got Flagman as the driver though.... I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  I'll dig some more tomorrow.

*edit*

Found Flagman.... the value for him is 8, which skips around a little.  I think I've taken this new feature as far as it can go, so time to implement it. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:34:53 pm by Howard_Casto »

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #692 on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:29 pm »
Looking forward to the alpha and character selection!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #693 on: July 02, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »
Thanks guys.  Yeah so upon further investigation you really don't even have to edit the license.  When the current license file is loaded, it just sits in memory untouched, so you can alter it as the game is running.  That probably means you can alter all aspects of a save file on the fly, so it might be possible to do some cool stuff.... I'll wait on that until the next release though. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:02 am »
So I got the overlay and stuff needed for the driver selection in place.  I'll need to map the toggle button to something else though as I forgot that brake is also mapped to the down navigation... so while you are editing the license it keeps swapping the driver!  OOPS!

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:49 am »
Sounds like you're making some awesome progress man! keep it up

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2015, 02:00:41 am »
I dunno... it's mostly cosmetic stuff, but I get a kick out of it, especially how flag man sticks his arm out the window like a boss when he's driving.  He disappears after the first stage because the stage unloads though.  :(

I want to try and find the extra models, but it's time consuming.  The boys and girls are values 0-5 but flag man, for whatever reason, is 8.   Values of 6 and 7 crash the game.  So it's possible that the alt costumes for all the characters are in the higher numbers, but any time I do an invalid number I have to restart the game. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #697 on: July 03, 2015, 02:15:00 am »
yeah but these minor things all add up and in the end we will end up with a much improved game overall after all you're hard work. It takes some dedication and passion to do this stuff

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #698 on: July 03, 2015, 06:39:18 pm »
Heh, I actually found the menu they were gonna use.  It appears that the guys' names are "Sam" and "Wolf"  Wolf is actually your rival on mission 20 of the xbox version of outrun 2, but you can't see him unless you get all perfect on everything. 

Anyway, after playing with these guys for a day or so it's apparent that they aren't 100% complete.  Both have some minor hair weirdness going on (barely noticeable) and Sam's legs go up into the steering wheel.  On certain stages their textures glitch out a little as well.  That being said they are playable for the most part and we do have options.  I could remove them entirely and make alt costumes for Alberto.  But eh, for now let's leave them in. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #699 on: July 05, 2015, 01:06:17 am »
So I found the value for the headlights, finally.... that one has been bugging me for a while.  And hey it turns out that you can toggle them on/off by editing the value, so I could add a headlight switch.  That's something?  Right?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #700 on: July 05, 2015, 01:56:06 am »
I finally found the value for the menu selection on the main menu screen.  For those that asked for a Outrun2 only mode, this is what I needed.  :)

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #701 on: July 05, 2015, 03:59:26 am »
I feel like spamming writing "thanx Howard for all the work you are putting in this!" :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #702 on: July 05, 2015, 08:30:24 pm »
Eh it gives me something to do when I can't sleep. 

So it turns out that the value I found controls ALL lights, so it toggles the lights of the traffic as well.  Maybe a headlight switch doesn't make as much sense then but I still wanted to be able to monitor the value for the sake of outputs and blinky lights.  It seems to have a few modes as well.  A value of 24 turns on your parking lights and headlights.... other values just turn on the park lights.  Hmm... I wonder if turn signals are in there somewhere. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #703 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:17 pm »
I messed around some more last night.  In 2k6 mode at least, the game doesn't seem to care much if you swap out the driver models (I mean the actual files, not the license edit)
That means alternatively we could remove the slightly glitched Sam and Wolf with Alberto and make the license edit a girlfriend selection instead since each male racer still has different outrun and heart attack partners.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #704 on: July 07, 2015, 08:42:23 am »
I have been away for a while and love reading about the progress being made. Thanks Howard, exciting times, can't wait to try this out whenever you release it.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #705 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:54 am »
Sorry, I haven't had a driving cab set up for a long time and haven't tested.

What is the status of force feedback?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #706 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:57 am »
It's not perfect, but it works.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #707 on: July 07, 2015, 10:58:35 am »
It's not perfect, but it works.

Awesome.  That and booting to OR2 were the big things for me.   :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #708 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:39 am »
Ok so I found this little class for a dial control drawn by the gdi paint command.  Thinking it would be slow and flickery I ignored it.  I hooked it up to the wrapper and I'll be darned if it doesn't work well!  It works so well I'm going to add dial controls to a future release of mamehooker. 

In the mean time, I'm thinking I could replace most of the HUD in the game, allowing for aspect ratio corrections and ect.  The only thing is it's a bit tricky for me to determine when to draw the hud.  For instance it might be drawn over an ending or the abort/retry screen.  If I can figure that out though I think it would be nice to blank out the rpm and mph and perhaps the time left and other static images in the game and redraw hi-def, properly proportioned replacements.  Stuff like the requests and end screens would have to remain as-is though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #709 on: July 09, 2015, 01:30:58 am »
Some personal stuff is limiting my time with this right now, but I'm still not sleeping well, so I can work on it now.  ;)

I took that class file I found and totally re-did it so that it allow for dials of oddball shapes and start/stop values.  It should be a fine addition to mamehooker later on but for now, I integrated it into the overlay system for outrun I'm making. 

As you can see in the pic below, the dial is dead accurate (ignore the numbers, those are a different bitmap for each car, look at the needle angle).  It's also amazing how much nicer it looks.  You don't realize how ugly the busted old 480p sprites make the game until you have a 1080p comparison.  For now I'm using a rather sneaky hide/show method for the dial... if the car speed is zero, don't draw the hud.  I'll look into a more professional solution later. 

In terms of what I can replace.  Well definitely the instrument cluster (rpm/mph/shiftpos and overdrive) and the main time remaining graphic.  The rest of the stuff is kind of iffy.  Anything static or just showing numbers I can do... anything with animations I probably can't.  So even if I implement this it'd be sort of a hybrid. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #710 on: July 09, 2015, 01:43:37 pm »
That does make all the original HUD elements look like a blurry mess....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #711 on: July 09, 2015, 02:44:06 pm »
Yeah I was surprised.  The intention was just to fix the aspect ratio problems, but I looked at 480p vs 1080p and the difference is 225%, a nice, round number so I went ahead and up-scaled it and redid the numbers and pony. 

I think the major hurdle in implementing this would be the old graphics.  I need to find a way to turn them on and off easily.  I can make a blank copy of the textures, but that would involve a lot of file swapping and I'd rather avoid that. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #712 on: July 09, 2015, 06:00:01 pm »
It's also amazing how much nicer it looks.  You don't realize how ugly the busted old 480p sprites make the game until you have a 1080p comparison.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Like you said, I hadn't realised how fugly looking all the old HUD elements were looking.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #713 on: July 11, 2015, 01:17:51 am »
I worked on it a little more.  I'm having issues keeping all the various menus straight in terms of detection but for the most part it works.  I added the mph display as well. 

One of the major drawbacks of the method I'm using to overlay graphics is I can't do translucency and color keying (transparent background) at the same time.  I can only set the properties of the form I'm drawing everything on.  I had assumed that I could also use api calls to set the translucency of the individual controls, but nope.  I'll look for another way, but it could be that fully replacing the hud won't be possible in terms of 100% accuracy.  I could draw additional forms behind the current one and put the translucent portions of images there, but every form I add would double the processing requirements..... 2k6 is a puny game, but on a 1080p display these compositing effects would add up quick. 

I know I mentioned last week I'd do another release but I've just been busy.  I still need to test the force-feedback and make sure the overlay isn't screwing that up (not sure how it could, but you never know) but something should be releasable soon. 

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #714 on: July 12, 2015, 01:25:40 pm »
Today I ran a journey with FXT again, once more. Awesome! I can't wait for all the updates what you noticed in the upper section. Thanks for the posts!

BTW thanks for the UMK. I really cant understand how your knowledge is widespreading and your huge effort for making a better world for gamers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:05:51 pm by GreatLamer »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #715 on: July 12, 2015, 06:47:14 pm »
Eh, I'm just the only one dumb enough to keep at these projects so long. 

Anyway.... I found the values that tell me which car has been selected.  This will be useful because the stupid old tachometer uses a different sprite for each car.  Unfortunately I haven't quite worked out the car selection for multiplayer yet.  I was hoping to get that done so we could add those thumbnails of all the cars mentioned ages ago. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2015, 11:22:49 pm »
No work tonight.  I put my tools away out of respect for fellow programmer and Nintendo head Iwata san.  R.I.P.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2015, 02:54:32 am »
Ok I found a variable in memory that must be hud-related as it zeroes out every time the hud isn't visible.  That should make hud replacement easier.  That seems like a good place to stop exploring the code to me.  Time to implement some of the things I've found.

Hyenard

« Reply #718 on: July 17, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »
Hello guys, this is my first post. Thank you for this hack/mod, now i can finally enjoy this game in windowed mode, among other things.

Now, Howard, i'm not sure if this was already discussed before, but since you managed to implement the PS2 exclusive tracks from the Japanese version, do you think it's possible to "fix" the music track "Rush A Difficulty 1989" too? as you can see, the first seconds are cut, for whatever reason. The problem doesn't exist on console, if i remember correctly. At least not on PS2/PSP PAL versions.

This is the proper version:

Thank you in advance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #719 on: July 17, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »
You can fix that one yourself.  All the music files are actually ogg files.  Take the fixed track, save to ogg, rename the appropriate file and you are good to go.