Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359231 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #600 on: February 08, 2015, 07:20:47 am »
Thanks dude, will do!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #601 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »
The cable arrived today, hurrah! One quick YouTube tutorial later and a few files downloaded and swapped between PC and Xbox and everything's up and running. My pre-burnt OR2 DVD works perfectly.

Right, time to get cracking on completing these Outrun Missions. I remember this taking me awhile when I did it before in the PAL version...

(... I don't suppose I can just copy across the my Euro save file from the HDD of my other Xbox?)

The disappointing part is that even with composite cables, they do not age well. 

Is it not that much of a difference then between the standard RGB cable then? I haven't got any Xbox component cables, so would need to acquire those and then see how you change the region to re-enable HD output, but if it doesn't look that much better I might not bother...

Edit: I've been able to figure out how to FTP into my Xbox using my Xbox System Link cable plugged into my router, using the trial version of FlashFXP. I'd read a few tutorials that seemed head scratchingly complex, then I found a really easy one that didn't need any messing about with changing my IP address or any of that business. I've successfully transferred a couple of games over to my HDD as well, so all good (had to use a program called Qwix to extract the ISOs first though).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:07:24 pm by MrThunderwing »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #602 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:22 pm »
correct, i have euro and jap version on my original xbox. euro version let you enter the code and the jap version does not.

Have you had any issues with the save files for the Japanese and Euro versions of Outrun 2 being in the same location? When I first tried the Japanese version I created a new profile in-game and it didn't seem to acknowledge the Euro save on the hard drive. Before I started unlocking too much in the Japanese version I tried my Euro version of the game to see if it would cause any issues - to which the answer was yes. It saw the Japanese profile and identified it as corrupt data and offered to delete it. I said no and loaded up my usual Euro profile and all seemed OK. When I tried the Japanese version after this, the Euro version had somehow really screwed something up in it, it kept making engine sounds on the selection screens every time I moved between an item, the title screen music didn't quite play right, the countdown at the start of the race was playing all the wrong sounds and the game would crash if you tried pausing it. Luckily all these problems were rectified by just deleting the game save file (fortunately I'd backed up the Outrun Udata on my PC, so I haven't lost my original Euro save with all the stuff I'd unlocked - I first created the save file back in 2005 years ago, which is kind of scary how quick the time's gone)

Have you had similar issues with your Euro version of the game screwing up the Japanese version?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:20:32 pm by MrThunderwing »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #603 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:53 pm »
opps, i should have mentioned, you need to edit the title card of the jap iso to something else otherwise the save will screw each other up because they are same name.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/tut-renaming-an-xbe-title.564942/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #604 on: February 12, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
Thanks for the link mate, I'll have a read through and see what I can sort out.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2015, 07:32:06 am »
Welp, here's the first of my inevitable Japanese Outrun 2 bonus stage comparison videos:

The Challenge course from Daytona USA 2: Power Edition

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2016, 02:54:04 pm
  • Arcade games for ever !
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2015, 07:43:21 am »
First and foremost I would like to take this opportunity to thank members of this thread namely isamu, segaoutrun, sega4ever and Mr. Thunderwing for taking the time to answer all of my questions which proved to be of much assistance.

I received today my modded PS3, loaded with OOA and Daytona USA. So far I have spent 2 hours playing OOA with my Logitech G25 wheel.

My view is that the game lacks significantly contentwise (game modes etc.) when compared to the other versions. I know this is not new to anyone here.

The other interesting thing is that, believe it or not is that the Fanatec Speedster 3 wheel gives a better handling of the car on the Xbox OR2 version. OK the G25 is a much better wheel in all respects, nonetheless when it comes to handling the Speedster wins the prize. Don't forget that the Fanatec Speedster 3 is supposed to be the best wheel that came out for the original Xbox, while it was by far the most expensive.

Next on my projects is to acquire a modded PS2 in order to enjoy the Japanese OR2SP with my G25. I hope my project will run as smoothly as the PS3 did.

Any special advice which will be of assistance will be much appreciated. One thing which definately I would like to clarifiy is whether there is also a cheat code (for unlocking cars, stages etc.) for this version as there is for the European C2C and OR2.

A big thank you once again to everyone.

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #607 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:27 am »
Welp, here's the first of my inevitable Japanese Outrun 2 bonus stage comparison videos:

The Challenge course from Daytona USA 2: Power Edition

Very interesting m8 !

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #608 on: February 16, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »
Here's my comparison between the Japanese version of the Scud Race tracks and actual Scud Race.

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #609 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:41 am »
Hi guys,

I got my hands on a modded PS2 which allows me to enjoy the Japanese Outrun 2 Special Tours together with my Logitech wheel. I have to admit that although the wheel works and feels perfectly well, the FFB produced is -at least from my point of view- debatable. Whatever, I do not complain.

HELP needed: Does anyone know the unlock codes-cheats for the Japanese Outrun 2 Special Tours (PS2). I need them so badly and despite my efforts so far I haven't been able to track down any relevant info over the web.

Thank you in advance.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #610 on: February 21, 2015, 07:02:43 am »
This is what works for the Euro and US versions of Coast 2 Coast:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/930972-outrun-2006-coast-2-coast/cheats

Dunno if that'll work on the Japanese version of OR2 SP though. I seem to recall that there was some stuff that could only be unlocked if you paired the game up with the PSP version.

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #611 on: February 21, 2015, 07:40:38 am »
This is what works for the Euro and US versions of Coast 2 Coast:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/930972-outrun-2006-coast-2-coast/cheats

Dunno if that'll work on the Japanese version of OR2 SP though. I seem to recall that there was some stuff that could only be unlocked if you paired the game up with the PSP version.

Thank you MrThunderwing for your response. Unfortunately the Japanese version does not allow for a licence name of more than 4 letters to be entered and therefore the cheats are of no use.

To the best of my knowledge it was the coast-to-coast PS2 version that was paired with the PSP one.

Anyway thank you very much.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:20:05 am by Tiger Heli »

Shun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2020, 06:57:33 pm
« Reply #612 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:41 pm »
I've been following this thread for a while now and the progress on these hacks is amazing. Howard has done a great job, hopefully he'll be better soon and continue creating these awesome hacks for Outrun.

In the meantime, I noticed somewhere in this thread that BadMouth had the same thought as me:

That's some crazy stuff! 

Would it be possible to make a version that loads straight to the arcade version contained in 2006, bypassing all the other menus?

This would be a really nice feature as it would make it much more like the arcade version.

So I've had a little look at this myself by hooking Cheat Engine up to Outrun 2006. Having never used Cheat Engine I ran through a few tutorials and after a while I could control the initial menu system that we are greeted with after pressing enter on the title screen.

It seems that the five menu items are a simple 0 indexed array with a length of 5 contained within a memory address:

Single Player: 0
Multiplayer: 1
Outrun 2SP: 2
Rankings: 3
Options: 4

By changing the value of this memory location the menu items will change.

This is as much as I have looked at so far as I have hardly experience with Cheat Engine. I've asked a question over at the CE forums but have had no response as of yet.

I was just wondering if anyone else had an experience with CE as I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I assume that I would need to find the trigger upon entering the initial menu and then using that to fire off the trigger on menu 2 which is Outrun 2SP. I don't know if thats even possible.

Currently, I could probably make a mod so that menu items 0 and 2 are swapped so that Outrun 2SP is the default option, which is only slightly better than what we have now.
Work In Progress:
Two Phase Bartop With Flush Mounted Dreamcast. 75% Complete
Pac-Man Cabaret scratch build: & BYOAC Project thread

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2015, 06:50:33 pm »
The disappointing part is that even with composite cables, they do not age well. 

So, here's an interesting thing: I bought a secondhand Xbox 360 yesterday. I'd been considering getting one for some time now, if the price was right, purely to get to play Hydro Thunder Hurricane on. That's not the interesting bit. This is - I was forgetting at the time that some original Xbox games are backwards compatible. So I tried my Outrun 2 disc in it (my legit Euro one) and wow, it looks absolutely amazing upscaled into HD. It looks almost on a par with my PC version in terms of how crisp and well anti-aliased everything is. If anything it almost looks nicer because of the fact it's got all the bloom effects still intact that were missing from the PC version. If you've got a 360 and you're a massive Outrun fan (like me) I'd say it's well worth tracking down a copy of the original Xbox version of Outrun 2, if only to experience those bonus stage in HD for the first time.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »
perfect, you took the dive that I wasnt willing to make! I had been tempted to get a modded xbox 360 to see if outrun 2 played. But I didnt want to spend the money on one game that might not work (only C2C is listed as officially compatible). BTW Modded xbox360s can boot games more xbox originals games with a hacked emulator/loader than what listed as officially compatible. I was also worried it wouldnt upscale nicely. Put some videos up asap! The official xbox wireless wheel should work as well.

damn it, now i may need to pick up an xbox 360

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2015, 08:00:01 am »
Put some videos up asap!

Would love to mate, but unfortunately I can only do video capture from an external source (like a console) in SD, so you wouldn't be able to see the benefit (and in fact I only have an HDMI cable for the 360, so I wouldn't be able to obtain any SD video capture anyway).

You'll just have to take my word for how good it looks ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:49:25 pm by MrThunderwing »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »
boo, i guess Ill just have to buy one in the summer. Then I can finally have a use for my two xbox360 wireless wheels that are collecting dust.

if you decide to mod ur xbox360, im curious if the Outrun 2 Beta from the Chihiro will run on it. It runs on a modded original xbox with 128mb ram mod so, it should run on the 360. or maybe any of the other chihiro games (although those would a be a very long shot). I dream of the day ill be able to play maximum tune at home. My chihiro rom folder is titled 'One day" on my comp =(

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #617 on: March 11, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »
Don't think I'll be modding the 360 anytime soon, the method to do so involves taking the machine apart and doing fiddly stuff with it that sounds like a bit too much hassle for me (although is probably child's play for a hardened BYOACer).

Someone over at the AG forum asked about the possibility of running Chihiro games on the 360. Not quite sure what "However, there'll be the same problems as on the xbox." means though - The games simply won't run because of a lack of memory or the handful of games that do run will still have the same bugs?

Chihiro-on-Xbox-360-Is-it-Possible

I asked on the YouTube channel of someone running the Chihiro beta of Outrun 2 on a modded Xbox if they knew if it had working force feedback like the arcade version, but apparently that there weren't any FFB wheels for the original Xbox to be able to test it out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:44:42 pm by MrThunderwing »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #618 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #619 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
Awesome. It'd be interesting to know then what would happen if someone tried the Outrun 2 Beta with one of those wheels.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #620 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »
i lurk on the AG chihiro subforum  ;D. Ive heard the speedster wheel is the best you can get for the og xbox and outrun. They are hard to find tho. There was one on the Goodwill auction site about a month ago but I pass on it since i had just bought some other wheels. it sold for like 30-40 bucks. i regret it.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #621 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:24 am »
apparently that there weren't any FFB wheels for the original Xbox to be able to test it out.

Fanatec Speedster 3

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,57479.msg566698.html#msg566698

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,112542.0.html

Ahh, good ole Speedster 3. My first and only Xbox wheel. Played it and was so rough on it, it broke after a month  :lol

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #622 on: March 13, 2015, 05:09:10 am »
Wow, I picked up one of these about a year ago for $25 and its sat in my attic ever since. Time to go digging I think

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #623 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »
Just make sure you don't play as rough with it as Isamu  ;)

Great though isn't it when that chance find you picked up for an absolute bargain actually turns out to be a piece of unexpected buried treasure or something you suddenly find useful in a context you hadn't originally envisioned for it (looking at you Dreamcast arcade stick, that I now use on my PC fir MAME courtesy of an el-cheapo adapter from China).

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #624 on: March 14, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »
i lurk on the AG chihiro subforum  ;D. Ive heard the speedster wheel is the best you can get for the og xbox and outrun. They are hard to find tho. There was one on the Goodwill auction site about a month ago but I pass on it since i had just bought some other wheels. it sold for like 30-40 bucks. i regret it.

My Speedster broke after 6 months. Thankfully i found a technician who fixed it for me.

You can always find used Speedster wheels (and sometimes new ones as i did) at Amazon.de as this is a German produced item.

Tiger Heli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #625 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »

My Speedster broke after 6 months. Thankfully i found a technician who fixed it for me.

You can always find used Speedster wheels (and sometimes new ones as i did) at Amazon.de as this is a German produced item.

I was wondering whether anyone knows a place in uk which sells modified 128 mb xboxs. Please pm.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #626 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:39 pm »

I was wondering whether anyone knows a place in uk which sells modified 128 mb xboxs. Please pm.

You might be better off asking that over at the Chihiro sub-forum section over at AG, I'd imagine you're probably more likely to encounter people who know about that sort of stuff there (I think Boomslang over here at BYOAC has a 128mb modded Xbox, but I think he's in the wrong hemisphere of the planet to be able to help you out in getting one).

Pintechltd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2015, 05:31:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #627 on: March 30, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »
Hi, I have been reading through this very interesting topic. On Page 8 and 9, there are links to attract modes and the remove enter mod. I have registered with Mediafire, but can not download these files. Does someone have these available, or on another file server to access? We bought a PC kit out of China to upgrade one of our Failed Sega Model 3 Twin driver units. It came with a force feedback board that interfaced with the Midway force feed back motors found in Cruisn' USA etc. But it has an annoying attract screen, and removing the "Press Enter" logo would be nice.

Cheers

Iain

_Scott

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2015, 05:51:04 pm
« Reply #628 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:14 am »
Hi, I have been reading through this very interesting topic. On Page 8 and 9, there are links to attract modes and the remove enter mod. I have registered with Mediafire, but can not download these files. Does someone have these available, or on another file server to access?
You don't need to register to download those from Mediafire so I think something's wrong there, but I re-upped them for you.

https://mega.co.nz/#!1UggTRJA!jIv4crxNC0q0O0_auv7_dRWtjsgl8hnMHYwkQF6QUIQ
https://mega.co.nz/#!sdZ10ZpC!G7-JsyUk-aNQSYTt9Y1G7A4QwzQdgJj3Xw9xnxxaq_4

Pintechltd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #629 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:22 pm »
Brilliant!, Thanks heaps for that. In the off chance of sounding greedy.... Is it possible to re upload the Xbox Attract mode. I would like to compare the two before inserting into the game.

Thanks again

Iain

_Scott

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2015, 05:51:04 pm
« Reply #630 on: April 01, 2015, 05:08:59 am »
Sorry, I forgot to upload this yesterday

Outrun 2 Xbox.bik 54.1 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!4ZYGVS4Q!WSaeFAapMOWICJ2m5XzSghpHueQ_NlRnj37vjSTyTeo

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #631 on: April 01, 2015, 05:18:02 am »
Is this the attract videos I recorded last year? I did a few different ones

Pintechltd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #632 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:41 am »
That XBox one looks really good IMHO. Am I correct in saying that because the press start is embedded in the .bik, then the remove patch wont remove the words?

Cheers

Iain

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #633 on: April 01, 2015, 02:57:33 pm »
That XBox one looks really good IMHO. Am I correct in saying that because the press start is embedded in the .bik, then the remove patch wont remove the words?

Cheers

Iain

Yes, you can't remove them. It's part of the video.

Pintechltd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #634 on: April 01, 2015, 03:10:50 pm »

Cheers

Iain

Yes, you can't remove them. It's part of the video.

Thought so. That's ok though as this Chinese kit has an extra PCB that generates an on screen overlay that covers the press enter area on screen. (Can't disable this either) It had a really naf attract video, so the Xbox one will do nicely. I'll just remove the sound out of it so there is no noise during attract mode.

Cheers

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #635 on: April 03, 2015, 05:32:20 am »
On the subject of the movies from the Sega chihiro system and the Xbox version, I loved these video grabs much better than horrible PC video....

But there was a problem both the videos will either freeze or pixelate if left in attract mode for a second pass, please see pics below....

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this as i love leaving these attract modes on in my games room its just a shame that it falls over if left on...

Thanks for any help with this

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:37:47 am by Giddygoon »

deano7649

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2019, 02:03:01 am
« Reply #636 on: April 03, 2015, 08:17:10 am »
On the subject of the movies from the Sega chihiro system and the Xbox version, I loved these video grabs much better than horrible PC video....

But there was a problem both the videos will either freeze or pixelate if left in attract mode for a second pass, please see pics below....

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this as i love leaving these attract modes on in my games room its just a shame that it falls over if left on...

Thanks for any help with this

I put this video into the mov folder in Outrun C2C 2006 on the PC in my multi racer Sega Rally cab and the same thing happened :-[

Much better than the original video though !

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #637 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:54 am »
Its just a shame that Boomslang went to the trouble of ripping them in great quality, but the game itself is having trouble playing them

seeing that this thread is about hacking Out Run C2C2006 to look more like the arcade, this was a great step

If anybody knows a way to tweak either the video of the bik player within the game....

Please advise

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #638 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:12 pm »
Its just a shame that Boomslang went to the trouble of ripping them in great quality, but the game itself is having trouble playing them

seeing that this thread is about hacking Out Run C2C2006 to look more like the arcade, this was a great step

If anybody knows a way to tweak either the video of the bik player within the game....

Please advise

That's a tall order.

Luckily, I just opened a bag of my favorite Cheetos, double clicked on hack.exe, started pecking away on keybaord.

enjoi.

terrible jokes aside. It looks likes it was just a framerate issue. xbox vid was at 60fps and the pc version runs at 29.97. The loops is clean now. I let it run a few times and I didnt get any artifacts.

Quick Update: I played with setting a bit to clean the video. Boomslang, if you want to send me the original rips, i might be able to do more.

Regular Xbox Version:
https://mega.co.nz/#!dRlgXRKa!vat9kQmg5yaUf0p9CAWN3YiLM5W03gZgOz8GthROj5U

Upscaled Xbox Version(Captured on an Xbox360)
https://mega.co.nz/#!8MdTBRAR!s9Kzp3C71PgQ9au-8iEeuMrIjREJkEccIZIitkRP654

Chihiro Version:
https://mega.co.nz/#!FQ8SiDpZ!Ywuxb4dHnKnHUgnrSjL6YzGhWUcoArMKfpxEcQSk19s

Hybrid Version(Has OutRun 2 Logo and Outrun C2C gameplay):
https://mega.co.nz/#!kdl0iZhJ!h3LgjA-n82HlsyT0_HLhdXVSblHTlOhpXzkHb-SIQLE

Lindbergh Version: Outrun 2 SP:
https://mega.co.nz/#!EYdCjQyZ!718qa8REWOnJc4JPIXTjn01mm_rf6-8nUW5AYjlZq4g

Lindbergh Cropped Version: Outrun 2 SP: (I cropped out the "Credits:4" at the bottom for a cleaner video)
https://mega.co.nz/#!Edc0zbbA!0Py8zrEe3Tm4Iu2GnYNXWX4OKC5w8Y6pDd6lh0YO58s

Remove Press Enter (Copy to your Sprites folder after you have made a backup):
https://mega.co.nz/#!sB8liZDA!8fbGqPhDnF15iX4uOcY0iezPleuRogy6FEWUC_eWCBQ

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:21:35 pm by SegaOutrun »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #639 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:47 am »
In my hunt for Attract Videos, I came across this awesome video of Outrun 2 for the Xbox played on the Xbox360. It includes the best video version of the Bonus Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 Levels. Dont forget to select 1080p on the youtube video.

SCUD Levels are at minute 34:45
Daytona Levels  at minute 38:55

http://youtu.be/LYvf5B0iE3U?t=2078