Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359384 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #520 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:00 am »
Ok, here are the top tier cars:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #521 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:09 am »
... and the rest of them. The very last one I just added in for shits 'n' giggles.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #522 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:27 pm »
Good work man.... You might want to just package those up for me so that we don't kill the site with even more random pics.  ;)

So I got the SP menu's done... or at least they are 90% there.  I've got a little patch to fill in on one of the menus (it's slightly taller than the others) and I've got to figure out what the crap to do when the color selection is activated on the car select screen as that dips down into the menu area, but other than that... works great. 

I'll flesh out the radio menus a little better as well.  2k6 is pretty straight-forward as the songs just use straight up text, but the SP track buttons will be difficult to emulate because they are graphical with the text individually placed.  I might have to take some liberties. 

I would like to just straight up re-do all the menus, but that's too much animation to do and too many variables to keep track of.  I might just enhance the static bits instead to kind of spruce things up a little.  I could also do custom loading screens pretty easily, so that's something I can do. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »
Cool, glad you liked them. If I can help you out in any other way with any art related stuff at all just let me know.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #524 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
Well I haven't had much luck finding the memory addresses containing the LAN menu stuff yet, so these will have to go on the back shelf for now unfortunately.  :(

I'll get em' though.... I found all the song menu  addresses afterall. 

Right now I'm just deciding how to do this overlay thing.  As I mentioned before I'm basically sticking a window on top of the game and poking holes in it via window's compositing options.  That means that I'm just using good old gdi to render the graphics because trying to poke a hole in a DX window is kind of like crossing the streams and I don't want to destroy the universe.  Now the hw acceleration isn't really needed.... These menus have like 5 frames of animation, but scaling kind of is.  I made the sprites in 1080p and when I paint them to the form no re-sampling is done, so they look like crap unless you just happen to be running at 1080p. 

I don't know if I should add a graphics library to the app, which would make the whole thing more bulky, or just make the images external and leave it up to the user to resize them. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:18 pm »
Ok so I found a math function to resample images the hard way (no plugins).  It works pretty well but it's slow.  I'll probably make it generate the images on startup or something. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:30 pm »
So I made a little function to pre-cook all the images upon the game start.  It takes until the SEGA logo goes away in the splash screens before the re-sampling is done, so I guess I'll have to be sparing in the amount of HD images I add to the interface... at least using this method. 

Anyway, it looks pretty good!  I'll make a vid or something tomorrow. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #527 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:57 am »
Preview vid... excuse the lag, it's due to the video capture method and doesn't reflect the hack in action:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #528 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:00 am »
looks really good, I'm impressed!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #529 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:05 am »
Your work so far is superb.... looks very close to the lindbergh arcade version

Love the animated icons......

Keep up the good work!

Was wondering is it possible to change the ( Loading ) msg screen to the arcade ( Please Stand By )

and is they a video fix for the arcade attract? Sorry to ask

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #530 on: July 28, 2014, 01:59:47 pm »
Oh btw... I discovered something when I was working on these menus.  All the options that involve using the horn (color change and sound balance) ..... well if you tap the horn instead of holding it, it'll toggle through the choices, so no need for up/down buttons!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #531 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:15 pm »
So call me completely out of whack with my priorities in regards to this project, but after the hd menu results I thought I would have a go at enhancing a few of the other menus.

Here's the 2k6 one and note that it's just a mock-up... I haven't actually put it in game yet. 

I'll do the sp radio as well, but in all honesty have you looked closely at that thing?  It's the fakest radio I've ever seen.  I might not be able to Purdy that one up. 

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #532 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:32 pm »
Sorry for the off topic but Mortal Kombat Boss Mod is incompatible with the updated game now. I would love to kill my friends with Goro here :).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #533 on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:29 pm »
Yeah I'm aware... I'm not working on that until I get this done.  There have been fixes released by others already though, so just search around. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #534 on: August 01, 2014, 09:16:14 am »
Sorry for the off topic but Mortal Kombat Boss Mod is incompatible with the updated game now. Please finish Outrun 2006 FXT before bothering with MKK.
Driving games are infinitely more important, especially adding ffb to a game that it was unfathomably left out of to begin with.
People have been waiting 12 years for ffb to be added to Outrun 2006.  MKK just came out last year.  MKK fans can wait a bit.

fixed  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
Eh MKKE is going to be a beast. 

Fixing UBM 2.0 wouldn't be a problem, it's mostly just ini file exploits, but they altered all the models.  So the upcoming UBM 3.0 is broken and I haven't even released it yet!  Hacking the game to get transparency exploits for the new "classic" costumes for the bosses required a decent amount of manual hex editing.  There was also a guy working on adding the MK2 style costumes to the other Ninjas and I'll bet his work is ruined as well. 

Seriously... who updates a game that hasn't been touched in over  a year?

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #536 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »
Yeah... Netherealm Studio rolled out new 700 MB patch... Now MKKE will be updated on every second day... for what?!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #537 on: August 07, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »
To prevent mods basically.... I guess they are getting serious. 

Long story short just don't play the game via steam anymore.

zxthehedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2023, 05:04:15 pm
  • MIDI Extrordinare & Infrequent Hedgehog
« Reply #538 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »
Any more progress?

retrorepair

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 04:49:58 pm
« Reply #539 on: September 18, 2014, 01:37:43 am »
Here's what I've learned about the Lindbergh version:

Original game ran at 800x480.
With a hack it's possible to run it at 640x480 (and just about any other resolution you like) though literally the width is reduced making EVERYTHING squished.
Like the Chihiro version, uses .gz archives for compressing assets as opposed to the PC version which uses .sz. I don't know how to unpack these .gz files.
The FFB board uses a serial protocol (RS485/422, not sure which) which plugs into the com port. I bit of sniffing should uncover the protocol. Could be JVS but I sort of doubt it knowing Sega.

I'm hoping to use some of the Chihiro assets to correct the aspect on the graphics. It'd be easier if I could unpack and pack .gz files. Not sure what I'd do about the 3D aspect though.

I suppose I need to understand more about the graphics engine.

Also found remnants of Chihiro functions in the main executable  :)
My arcade racing setup:
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/retrorepair

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
« Reply #540 on: September 18, 2014, 01:50:31 am »
Hi,

7-zip which is LGPL can handle *.gz archives

Rgs,

retrorepair

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 04:49:58 pm
« Reply #541 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:42 am »
Despite the .gz extension, they are sadly not gzip archives.
My arcade racing setup:
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/retrorepair

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #542 on: September 20, 2014, 02:34:22 am »
Just played the Japanese PS2 version of 2SP with 2 different logitech wheels on my Japanese PS2  and the FFB is there but so light as almost not to exist.  :badmood:

Howard, your hack might be the only hope for those of us with wheels to experience this game as it was meant to be, with decent FFB!  :applaud:

Also, triple screen support. Actually, it works pretty well except the timer and text and all that being really stretched, all the polygon stuff looks great!

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2014, 08:51:27 pm »
What is the progress of this project? I read months back that you were planning a release but that was awhile ago when you were having ear issues etc. Im really looking forward to trying this out!

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:47 am »

Also, triple screen support. Actually, it works pretty well except the timer and text and all that being really stretched, all the polygon stuff looks great!

Triple screen support would be excellent! it also works really well in 3D!

In the meantime, does anyone know how to get rid of the OSD (timer/text/tachometer) as that would really improve the experience of playing it in 5760x1080 resolution. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #545 on: September 26, 2014, 04:52:55 pm »
Awesomness. My wheel's rumble only, but still looking forward to giving this a try and testing the rumble out.

Yaaaaaar, Ignore that. I've inherited a Logitech Driving Force GT from my brother-in-law who's in the process of selling his PS3.

Bring on the FFB....  :cheers:

(...and the boobs).

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #546 on: September 26, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »

In the meantime, does anyone know how to get rid of the OSD (timer/text/tachometer) as that would really improve the experience of playing it in 5760x1080 resolution.

That could work. Might be simpler that just limiting the OSD to the center screens resolution.

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #547 on: September 28, 2014, 05:32:51 am »

That could work. Might be simpler that just limiting the OSD to the center screens resolution.

yes, i've tried removing and changing what i think are the corresponding files in the 'sprite' folder using the patching tool, but the game always crashes at the start of the level.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #548 on: October 04, 2014, 04:51:11 pm »
So, I don't know if this common knowledge amongst all the other Outrun fans on here (it probably is), but I just found out yesterday that my PS3 version of Outrun Online Arcade supports force feedback :o.

When I'd previously heard mention of the fact that the only version of Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast that supported FFB was the Japanese PS2 version, in my brain, for some reason, I just naturally assumed that this extended to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Outrun Online Arcade as well, what with them being basically scaled down versions of Coast 2 Coast based on the Outrun 2 SP arcade machine. Glad in this instance that I was proven wrong!

Obviously, it's not as good as having FFB in the full PC version of Coast 2 Coast with all it's additional content, but as someone who's never experienced any FFB in an Outrun 2 based game outside of the arcade this is pretty sweet.

Sega Rally Online Arcade has also got some pretty awesome FFB effects, actually a bit better than the ones in Outrun Online Arcade.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #549 on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »
So, I don't know if this common knowledge amongst all the other Outrun fans on here (it probably is), but I just found out yesterday that my PS3 version of Outrun Online Arcade supports force feedback :o.

When I'd previously heard mention of the fact that the only version of Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast that supported FFB was the Japanese PS2 version, in my brain, for some reason, I just naturally assumed that this extended to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Outrun Online Arcade as well, what with them being basically scaled down versions of Coast 2 Coast based on the Outrun 2 SP arcade machine. Glad in this instance that I was proven wrong!

Obviously, it's not as good as having FFB in the full PC version of Coast 2 Coast with all it's additional content, but as someone who's never experienced any FFB in an Outrun 2 based game outside of the arcade this is pretty sweet.

Sega Rally Online Arcade has also got some pretty awesome FFB effects, actually a bit better than the ones in Outrun Online Arcade.

actually the xbox 360 version doesn't have FFB.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #550 on: October 05, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »
...and unfortunately SEGA had to stop selling the game for xbox360 and PS3 after their deal with Ferrari expired.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #551 on: October 05, 2014, 04:23:38 pm »
although they are no longer the web stores, they can be found otherway if your ps3 is hacked(prob xbox too). I have outrun on my ps3 as well as daytona usa

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 pm
  • Bingo!
« Reply #552 on: October 13, 2014, 12:24:42 am »
How about some new music for the hack like this?

zxthehedgehog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #553 on: October 14, 2014, 04:50:25 pm »
You can already do that fairly easily by replacing the .ogg files in the game folder's Sound directory. I used it to switch out the music for Night Flight with the prototype version, and it should work with any looping OGG.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #554 on: October 24, 2014, 05:29:33 pm »
I found quite an interesting article about Outrun 2 by chance this evening, which features interviews with S0L and a couple of the other Sumo guys:

The Beautiful Game: Inside OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

Edit: And a little Outrun Online Arcade VS Coast 2 Coast comparison I made myself. I really didn't think the lack of bloom effects in the PC version made that much of a difference until I saw the difference in the 'Legend' stage at the end running side-by-side.

http://youtu.be/qT_11hIgBGE?list=UUzPkT2e0HFjVZi1EVlI-xzw
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:43:19 am by MrThunderwing »

Sp3c7r3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2016, 02:09:52 am
« Reply #555 on: October 28, 2014, 04:50:22 am »
I've read through this whole thread and it's very interesting reading. Question, did Howard ever manage to get FFB working or was he stuck at the rumble effects? I found a link in this thread for FXT1.5a with the early stuff. Was a beta ever released? Can't seem to find anything on Howards site about the FXT?

zxthehedgehog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #556 on: October 29, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »
Howard Casto actually finished the FFB mod, however, he has not released it yet, as he has been sick, and also wants to add more content.

If you look through the thread, you can find data for FXT, which I believe adds rumble on Xinput wheels (don't quote me on that, not entirely sure), a couple of other minor tweaks, and he started replacing the textures with higher res versions when he just vanished off the forum.

dirtydog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2016, 01:25:42 pm
« Reply #557 on: November 20, 2014, 09:36:41 am »
Vanished off the forum, does that mean this might not be released? That would be a real shame, I was very excited to read about it in this thread and would have loved to have been able to try it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #558 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:05 am »
Vanished off the forum, does that mean this might not be released? That would be a real shame, I was very excited to read about it in this thread and would have loved to have been able to try it.

He's commented on stuff on youtube since disappearing from here, so he's still alive.
I suppose he did leave because he was annoyed with the forum.

It will probably turn up through some other avenue eventually.  :-\
I check his website (which is hosted here) every so often, but nothing new has been posted.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2014, 10:41:49 am »
All I want for Christmas is for Howard_Casto to come back to BYOAC.