Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359289 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #440 on: May 10, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
Sounds like you might have labyrinthitis Howard. Have you recently developed an aversion to any David Bowie films that also involve muppets? Seriously though, a friend of mine had it last year and they felt pretty bad for a good few months with it, but have made a full recovery now. Keep going with the meds mate, hope you feel better soon.

S0L, can I put the same question to you that I asked Howard awhile back? Would it be feasible to add into the the PC version of Outrun 2006 the extra end of game animations that are in the Japanese PS2 version? Likewise, would it be feasible to import the Scud Race and Daytona 2 bonus stages from the Xbox version of  Outrun 2 into PC Outrun 2006? I've still got two original Xboxs and two copies of Outrun 2 to play on them via system link (and two copies of Coast 2 Coast). The bonus stages in Outrun 2 are pretty much the only reason I've kept a hold of the Xboxs, if it were possible to play them on PC I could finally get rid of them...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:49:52 am by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #441 on: May 10, 2014, 08:04:16 pm »
Ok so I was testing the x-force again.  I don't think I'm tapping into the right value.  It seems to follow the force of the car, but I can be on a straight stretch not turning the wheel and it'll violently swerve in one direction or another occasionally.  Maybe it's just a font tire and not the whole front end?  Anyway, I'll turn it off for now... plenty of opportunities to find the correct memory location.

pinkimo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2018, 12:59:51 pm
« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
just a note that Outrun SP Japanese version does indeed work 100% force feedback on ps2 emulator, ive used it myself. I can't wait for this hack from Howard tho so I can play force feedback multiplayer!

I think the japanese PS2 version supports only vibrations, not the full FFB of the arcade version.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:45 pm »
just a note that Outrun SP Japanese version does indeed work 100% force feedback on ps2 emulator, ive used it myself. I can't wait for this hack from Howard tho so I can play force feedback multiplayer!

I think the japanese PS2 version supports only vibrations, not the full FFB of the arcade version.

From what I've read it's full 100% arcade FFB when using a Logitech wheel

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
Yeah S0L confirmed this with me.  We were only a hair away from getting it on the pc version actually, which certainly makes things easier on my end.  ;)

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2014, 05:07:45 pm »
The Japanese version of OutRun2SP on PS2 does support Force Feedback on certain Logitech Wheels. Off the top of my head we supported the Driving Force Pro and Logitech G25. It *may* work with other wheels that Logitech make as we used their driver software. You will need to play it on a retail PS2 though, it probably won't work on a PS3 or under emulation as it relied on the PS2 USB hardware libraries.

Bear in mind quite a bit of time has passed since then though, updates to the wheels firmware may break compatibilty with the wheel SDK we used, newer wheels (such as the G27) didn't even exist at the time, so they may not work either.

Note only the Japanese PS2 version supported FFB wheels, the EU/US versions most certainly didn't.

Hope that answers the question.

---
S0L
---
Thanks to all for answering... Just to finish this out of topic... There is one hypothesis which could explain everything

1 - When looking at the external cover of OR2 japanese, you can read "GT Force" and "GT Force Pro"...
2 - OR2J went out in 2004... Two years before the G25 from Logitech which started to be sold in 2006-2007.
3 - Boomslang confirms that FFB is working.... on emulator !
4 - And interesting post here When you use the emulator, there is a driver/plugin which make your wheel becomes a logitech....... Driving force / Generic Logitech wheel OR Driving Force pro.
5 - I tried myself the game (Japanese version) on original PS2 with a G25 wheel. The wheel is working but not FFB

So my conclusion is that OR2J supports FFB on the original PS2 with an old wheel like GT Force or Pro... And it does not work on the G25/G27 as they were out widely after the game.
When Logitech decided to sell the G25, which was extremely expensive for such kind of thing (and it was the first to sell a good wheel) they took a big risk. That's why I wouldn't be surprise that they delivered some prototypes of G25 to development studios like yours Sol...

And when they sold to public it they changed material or firmware revision... Breaking the compatibility you experienced few years before....

End of OT for me.

Howard, I want to try  :applaud:  :banghead:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:54:16 am by lolomc2 »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »
5 - I tried myself the game (Japanese version) on original PS2 with a G25 wheel. The wheel is working but not FFB

Did the wheel show up in the game as a wheel instead of a gamepad?
If the game only detects a gamepad, of course it would only send rumble.

In my experience with PC games and such, the G25/G27 will work perfectly on anything that an older Logitech wheel will (until you get back to the original formula force that utilized a different protocol).  The reverse is also true.  The only difference is that the G25/G27 will shake if the rumble signal is sent, but the older wheels do not.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »
Well here's the thing with FF.  Us guys that use it have and always will be in the extreme minority of the gaming population.  I'm currently using DX8 as a base for my outrun wrapper.  Why use one that old?  Well there's no point to use anything newer...  FF implementation hasn't changed AT ALL since dx8.  Microsoft threatens to remove it every few revisions and the sim enthusiasts get up in arms.

They really want to force Xinput on everyone, which for general gaming is great, but it would be a nightmare for specialty controllers.

My point?  Aside from maybe some minor differences in how the wheel actually interprets the signals, FF hasn't really changed since 2k6 was released.  This makes it all the more frustrating on how information in regards to creating effects is till sparse after all these years.  I guess I need to buy one of those annoyingly thick books I hate so much.  ;)

Now all of that being said, the PS2 obviously doesn't support force-feedback in the strictest of sense... they fake it because it's a proprietary Microsoft interface.  So any issues might happen there. 

I hope everybody had a good mothers day btw, I did... me and Mom didn't get into any fist fights or anything.... oh well there's always next week.   ;D

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
« Reply #448 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:29 pm »

Did the wheel show up in the game as a wheel instead of a gamepad?
If the game only detects a gamepad, of course it would only send rumble.

In my experience with PC games and such, the G25/G27 will work perfectly on anything that an older Logitech wheel will (until you get back to the original formula force that utilized a different protocol).  The reverse is also true.  The only difference is that the G25/G27 will shake if the rumble signal is sent, but the older wheels do not.

If even moderator push me to make ot, I will not bother  ;D
Wheel is recognised as a wheel inside the game. You can see the shape of the wheel + integrated gearbox like this :

(which is different from G25 which has external gearbox)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:17 pm »
I'm not in the mood to work on the sprite packs atm.  I decided to work on a couple of odd's n ends today.  For one thing, the horn sound I crafted is not from the game.  I fired up the goldwave and took a few samples from Holly's challenges, so I'll clean that up later and replace the horn sound. 

I also want to go ahead and work on the fake lamps I made ages ago.... invert the start lamp and suggested and what-not.

I know I'm driving you guys nuts not releasing anything, but those rapid fire releases from before were hard to do reliably.  You should still see a release within the next week or so.

S0L

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2014, 11:53:01 am
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:50 am »
Just passing through...

Sounds like you might have labyrinthitis Howard. Have you recently developed an aversion to any David Bowie films that also involve muppets? Seriously though, a friend of mine had it last year and they felt pretty bad for a good few months with it, but have made a full recovery now. Keep going with the meds mate, hope you feel better soon.

S0L, can I put the same question to you that I asked Howard awhile back? Would it be feasible to add into the the PC version of Outrun 2006 the extra end of game animations that are in the Japanese PS2 version? Likewise, would it be feasible to import the Scud Race and Daytona 2 bonus stages from the Xbox version of  Outrun 2 into PC Outrun 2006? I've still got two original Xboxs and two copies of Outrun 2 to play on them via system link (and two copies of Coast 2 Coast). The bonus stages in Outrun 2 are pretty much the only reason I've kept a hold of the Xboxs, if it were possible to play them on PC I could finally get rid of them...

I agree, sounds like Labyrinthitis, my Dad had this and he was laid low for about 3 months. Infection in the ear, felt like he was constantly moving, even though he wasn't. It'd bugger me up as I ride a motorcycle!

On the end animations, it wouldn't be impossible but the animated textures (such as the space shuttle taking off and the volcano erupting) are actual MPEG movie files. The PC version has no support to play these back, whereas I think we converted them to UV texture animations for PS2. It might be possible to replace the PC levels with the PS2 ones with those animations (though it'd need some texture format wrangling), but you'd be taking a hit to the quality of the textures and the levels themselves (we had to reduce the poly count as the PS2 couldn't push as many polys as a PC!). Sort of an apples and pears choice that.

The Xbox specific Bonus Levels are likely easier, but the textures would need to be extracted, converted and repacked in a PC specific format.

In addition the start and end positions would need to be hacked into the PC executable, we have a bunch of 'magic numbers' which are used to determine the real start and ends of levels. That's why normally you can't rename one level to another and start in the right place. The other side of course is the levels were never meant to be in OutRun2006, meaning you'd have to either hack the stage tables for extra ones to be included or replace other stages with the Bonus ones. Not impossible, but again not straightforward.

Not that I want to detract in anyway from the excellent work done here, but bear in mind Howard is finding and enabling elements that existed but were disabled from the arcade machine (like the FFB), were development features or incomplete (like the debug cams) or is replacing assets the game expects to show (like the on-screen control help/Clarissa's cleavage!).

Adding new playable content that wasn't meant to be part of the game is a different kettle of fish. It's possible, but it likely would need a deeper understanding of the game from a source code level. For example adding extra levels or cars would be difficult as there is no art or text for the menus, the post race map, the scoring structures etc.

The Japanese version of OutRun2SP on PS2 does support Force Feedback on certain Logitech Wheels. Off the top of my head we supported the Driving Force Pro and Logitech G25. It *may* work with other wheels that Logitech make as we used their driver software. You will need to play it on a retail PS2 though, it probably won't work on a PS3 or under emulation as it relied on the PS2 USB hardware libraries.

Bear in mind quite a bit of time has passed since then though, updates to the wheels firmware may break compatibilty with the wheel SDK we used, newer wheels (such as the G27) didn't even exist at the time, so they may not work either.

Note only the Japanese PS2 version supported FFB wheels, the EU/US versions most certainly didn't.

Hope that answers the question.

---
S0L
---
Thanks to all for answering... Just to finish this out of topic... There is one hypothesis which could explain everything

1 - When looking at the external cover of OR2 japanese, you can read "GT Force" and "GT Force Pro"...
2 - OR2J went out in 2004... Two years before the G25 from Logitech which started to be sold in 2006-2007.
3 - Boomslang confirms that FFB is working.... on emulator !
4 - And interesting post here When you use the emulator, there is a driver/plugin which make your wheel becomes a logitech....... Driving force / Generic Logitech wheel OR Driving Force pro.

So my conclusion is that OR2J supports FFB on the original PS2 with an old wheel like GT Force or Pro... And it does not work on the G25/G27 as they were out widely after the game.
When Logitech decided to sell the G25, which was extremely expensive for such kind of thing (and it was the first to sell a good wheel) they took a big risk. That's why I wouldn't be surprise that they delivered some prototypes of G25 to development studios like yours Sol...

And when they sold to public it they changed material or firmware revision... Breaking the compatibility you experienced few years before....

End of OT for me.

Howard, I want to try  :applaud:  :banghead:

Bear in mind I'm running from memory! It's not perfect, I've slept at least once since we did OutRun2006 :)

I figured we supported the G25 as I know we have at least one, but from what you're saying it might be for something we did later though (we've done more than one driving game!). We actually did the game in 2005, so it's pretty much 9 years ago now. That's about 13 Developer years due to all the late nights and weekends we work :P

It's interesting it works with PS2 emulation though, that's got to be pretty decent emulation if it's also emulating the PS2 USB ports.

Thanks for the confirmation and sharing!

---
S0L
---

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »
Ok now that I've gotten your take I'll chime in. 

Because they are mpeg movies in a way that actually makes it easier.  I can overlay them on the screen most likely via some sort of proxy dll.  Of course if anyone around here is good at making proxy dll's they should get started as I'm terrible at them (managed to make one in my life, it didn't work well).  The hard part would be determining when to overlay the mpeg.  I would have to find a universal value (such as maybe a texture address) that changes when the end of stage starts and display it then. 

It would most likely be a bit hackish like the horn button I've added.  (Although I'm going to try and find the assembly code on that one and implement a horn properly.)

I really wish we could encourage someone in the hacker community to write a scaler proxy for direct x.  Something that would simply re-route texture loading as it happens and load from an alternate, hi-res source and when displaying the texture use the exact same relative dimensions or scale them by X amount if using absolute dimensions (which rarely happens in 3d games).  Most proxy dlls attempt to add additional graphics/textures to the render and that's hard, but I would think that tweaking the loading and selecting of existing textures would be a bit simpler.

In terms of the levels, yeah that's a tricky one.  If you are referring to the rvt array I kind of sort of have a general idea where it's at in the exe, but like you said, it's a bit complex.  Assuming I can successfully find them and edit them What I would probably do is make an exe hack and replace some of the 2k6 stages with the bonus ones.  So you'd just launch another version of the game to play them. 

Some of this stuff might be beyond my scope honestly.  I'm just a low grade hacker messing with bytes in memory.  If we can find somebody that's good at reverse engineering assembly code though, some of these features could be added back in more professionally.  It's like S0L says.... most of the stuff I've added thus far is either passively added, like the horn/ff or replacing an existing item, like the texture hacks.  Most of the package names and contents in the game seem to be hard coded in the exe, which makes adding brand new content a little difficult. 

As for my ear... ugh... I think I'm going to have to go back.  They put me on one of those anti-biotic packs (AGAIN) last week and now that I'm weaned down to one pill a day my ear is stopping up again and it's starting to ache a little.  Next they try pretnazone and if that doesn't work, possibly surgery. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
Thanks for the in-depth replies S0L and Howard. It's encouraging to know that these things, whilst not exactly straightforward sounding, aren't entirely outside the realms of possibility.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:50:50 pm by MrThunderwing »

S0L

• Offline Offline
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2014, 09:20:29 am »
Because they are mpeg movies in a way that actually makes it easier.  I can overlay them on the screen most likely via some sort of proxy dll.  Of course if anyone around here is good at making proxy dll's they should get started as I'm terrible at them (managed to make one in my life, it didn't work well).  The hard part would be determining when to overlay the mpeg.  I would have to find a universal value (such as maybe a texture address) that changes when the end of stage starts and display it then. 

I'm not sure it'd be so straight-forward. They're not quite standard MPEG files (it's in CRI Movie format) and originally the video would have been mapped to a texture. They're complicated by being part of the scene, so they're in front of the sky, but behind the UI. I don't think you'll be able to get away with projecting them directly on top of what's rendered normally as an overlay.

I've dug up the actual files and they're basically split vertically with the effect on the top half and the Alpha channel on the bottom. I'm pretty sure they were triggered at the start of the end sequence (when the car skids to a halt on passing the Goal line).

...though I need to do some more digging here. Whilst I've found the source for all the end effects (Volcano, Space Shuttle, Doves\Petals and the Confetti) I've not found movies for the ones I'd expect. Might be they're not done exactly as I think. Leave this one with me for a bit.

As for my ear... ugh... I think I'm going to have to go back.  They put me on one of those anti-biotic packs (AGAIN) last week and now that I'm weaned down to one pill a day my ear is stopping up again and it's starting to ache a little.  Next they try pretnazone and if that doesn't work, possibly surgery. 

Yikes. In the end the anti-biotics worked for my Dad, but it did take a while. Hope it clears up soon as I know exactly how much fun it isn't.

---
S0L
---

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:12 pm »
Well let me ask you this then... the camera angles for the end animation are fixed right?  I might be able to get boomslang to record the individual ends on his lindberg setup and fake it that way.  I know the score and stuff would have to be worked around, but that's fairly trivial. 

Windows has some really dirty tricks at my disposal for video... if nothing else I can color-key an instance of wmp and put a big old magenta texture up there to project it on. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #455 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:18 am »
Heh, so my save file corrupted like was mentioned by the others earlier.  I now don't have a driver.  :)

S0L can you put any light on this?  It seems to be some sort of a bug in regards to control configurations (or at least that's what screwed mine up).  I'd like to fix it somehow. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #456 on: May 16, 2014, 02:48:51 am »
Oh yea the part I needed finally turned up this week so I ill install it etc and hopefully get that video sorted over next couple days

S0L

• Offline Offline
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2014, 06:54:30 am »
Heh, so my save file corrupted like was mentioned by the others earlier.  I now don't have a driver.  :)

S0L can you put any light on this?  It seems to be some sort of a bug in regards to control configurations (or at least that's what screwed mine up).  I'd like to fix it somehow.

Not something I think we ever saw, bear in mind the majority of testing was done at SEGA (we only have a small internal QA team) and I suspect no-one ever tried lots of controllers all plugged in at once.

We do save the control configuration to the same file as the player profiles, if I had to hazard a guess, there'll be some data structure in the game that deals with the potential control configurations and it's exceeded whatever number the coder picked at the time. I.e. it expects up to 3 USB devices and no more, so if you go over, it causes the save to be corrupted when it gets updated.

Again it's a side effect of when the game was written, there wasn't a huge proliferation of people using multiple USB controllers at the time, where that's more common these days.

I'm not sure you'd be able to easily increase the data structure, not without some form of IPS patching. You might be able to back up the save data and do some form of vetting to see if the control config is likely to bust it (so a last known good save and safety check on boot).

I'd need to go digging in the source code to see if I'm right though!

---
S0L
---

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2014, 10:31:06 am »
Howard, i am not a doctor but i think that you should STOP working in front of your monitor and start thinking seriously to rest a little bit more: all the (great) stuff you are doing in this period are energy demanding and you are "low in fuel" dude ...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
Rest assured I'm taking care of myself.  When you are sick for a couple of days the best thing to do is just rest, but when you are sick for extended periods you get stir crazy.  This stuff is a distraction to keep my mind occupied.  I haven't felt like it recently, but I might later.

S0L:

Yeah I doubt I can fix it directly at least not easily, but if I knew what the corruption was I could maybe make a tool to repair corrupted files. 

I would also like to know what is changing the driver around, because hey, bonus feature. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2014, 02:55:24 am »
So I'm going to try and get this next release out sometime this week. 

Technically speaking it's ready and I could release it now, but as I mentioned earlier I'm also getting the graphics packs ready.  Unless I can manage to make the game support higher resolution textures (might actually be possible) or modify the sprani files enough for widescreen compensation, that aspect of the game is done.

Yes there are more things I wish to add.  I would like to find the car force and angle values in the code not so much for wheel FF, but for motion sims.  I could also use the x-force as a multiplier, making the FF rumble I have setup directional, which would make it more realistic.  Blocking and re-routing inputs is also a priority considering odd-ball configurations apparently corrupt the save file.  Of course there is also the out-standing Outrun radio project as well.  That being said, barring any major bugs or improvements, the next version will probably cover most people's needs. 

It'll offer arcade icon buttons, uncensored Clarissa, configurable xinput rumble that can be sent to up to 4 devices and configurable force-feedback rumble with configurable software spring.  In addition, the two features I wanted to add into the game, configurable views and more shifter options are already in there. 

If I get this out then I can put the project on hold and just work on it whenever as finding memory locations is tedious work.  I would like to release a final version of troubleshooter 2 that better supports the latest version of m2emulator and oh yeah, release those final MKKE mods that I worked on last year.  ;)

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 08:16:45 pm
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2014, 11:29:49 am »
I always hoped S0L would say that there was a placeholder texture for the video content in the game, and that some sort of blank dummy file would just need replacing with the final video... but if it was that easy it would have probably been done in the original PC version!
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2014, 12:09:06 pm »
Sorry to ask Howard, but are the video movies being improved? I love the two intro movies that you put up but it still has the freeze and pixelation issues..

Great work and we are all looking forward to your next release

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
S0L explained (and I pretty much figured out already anyway) that the game engine was never intended to support widescreen movies and that's probably the issue.  What I'll have to do is convert them to anthropomorphic widescreen.  In other words go ahead and give the videos a 4:3 ratio and the game itself will stretch them out.  This is what I did with the FXT intro and you can run it indefinitely without error. 

The reason I haven't messed with vids is because I was told to wait.  Boomslang still has some stuff to send me and even after he's done, I'm going to carefully go over the video he produces and try to recreate it in the pc game engine.  The goal is to remaster the whole thing in 720p.  I can blank out the hud, set the game to run at 720p, use the custom camera angles I found to record and it should be more or less identical, just of a better quality. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2014, 01:45:56 pm »
So last night I was poking around in the exe with the cheat engine.  I'm trying to go down the assembly code line by line to find various things we need.  The one I'm really looking for is the code for the view matrix.  Since the hud doesn't seem to be effected by 3d distortion, I've got to assume the game switches to a 2d viewpoint when rendering the hud.  If I decrease it's horizontal scaling then I can compensate for widescreen aspect distortion and have the hud always render at 4:3.  It would certainly be easier than reverse engineering the sprani format and changing every single solitary sprani file. 

The reason I mention it is because I'm really bad at assembly.  I can understand individual commands obviously, but I'm a high level programmer..... I can think on how to write complex code at such a low level.  So if someone wants to help out, grab a copy of cheat engine.  It has an assembly decoder built in, which makes things easy... if you know what you are doing, which I only do half the time.  ;)

Chris2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 09:34:34 am
  • Servin' up Bacon.
« Reply #465 on: May 22, 2014, 11:36:49 am »

If you ever find a reason to get rid of them, then I may take them off your hands. I have a sort of Xbox collection going ever since I bought Steel Battalion.

"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #466 on: May 23, 2014, 01:14:00 am »
Ill look at trying to get the video done either tonight or tomorrow

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #467 on: May 23, 2014, 02:01:23 am »
Don't worry about it man... getting an intro video done would be the last thing I would want to add, so it's low priority atm.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #468 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:45 am »
Don't worry about it man... getting an intro video done would be the last thing I would want to add, so it's low priority atm.

Anytime I've ever said anything like that to a person who was going to do something for me, it ended up never getting done.

Get to work on that intro vid Boomslang!  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #469 on: May 23, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »
Well you guys wanted me to add wheel support to mamehooker and told me to take my time.  I got around to it.....in three years.  Boomslang where is that vid!?

;D

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2014, 05:38:07 pm »
Lol ok sorry ill do it soon

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »
Recording it right now! It actually changes slightly as it goes as it showcases a stage each time it resets video so I might just take a huge recording and someone can perhaps edit it so it shows all stages together or something

Oh and it's in English this time too
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:45:00 pm by Boomslang »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #472 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:11 pm »
Awesome sauce man.  I look for too/dread the massive download I'll eventually get.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #473 on: May 24, 2014, 05:09:13 am »
So Boomslang sent me the Outrun2SP intro vid.  It looks really good.  I think we can re-create it and make it look even better but as is, it's still a marked improvement. 

While watching it I realized that there is a shift forward graphic in the game.  I made mine by hand and it doesn't look so hot.  So now I've got to go back and re-edit a few of the sprit sheets I've already done.  Boo, I say, Boo!  I only had two more to go.   :banghead:

Anyway though, that's one more thing we don't have to worry about. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27:11 pm »
S0L: 

I don't know if you've had a chance to look into it or not, but in regards to the save game corruption.  I'm not sure about the save game files themselves but it definitely corrupted the liscense1.dat.  I opened it up in a hex editor and my name is now garbage and there appears to be garbage in a few of the lines that follow.  The file size itself seems the same though and the stuff towards the bottom is still properly aligned... so I'm not sure exactly what it did.  I can send it along if you wanted to take a look. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2014, 09:13:53 am »

If you ever find a reason to get rid of them, then I may take them off your hands. I have a sort of Xbox collection going ever since I bought Steel Battalion.

I'll bear that in mind if I do decide to sell them at some point.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2014, 02:22:01 pm »
Ok I guess I should keep you guys in the loop.  Previously... on Batman....

I mentioned that I found an official sprit for the shifter.  I've since added that to the keyboard key texture.  I'll have to go back and add it to a few additional screens as well, so I get to re-do work I've already done.  (Yay!)

Also Boomslang sent me the video he captured of Outrun2SP running on Lindbergh at 720p.  It's quality video and I'll eventually make it available to you all, BUT it has issues that need to be addressed and quite honestly I think we are better off using it as a guide to remaster the intro videos.  You see part of the "how to play" segment of the attract vid is a canned video file, so it's only 480p.... also any textures used are 480i, which are noticeably pixelated.  In addition, all the "driving around" segments of the attract have the hi scores covering everything, which would be great, but they obviously aren't the hi scores from our game. 

uMod is a program I was using before I figured out the texture format.  It allows you to inject textures into a running program, replacing them with custom images.  While altering the packages would be the "right" way to blank out the HUD, I found uMod is just quicker... no packing and unpacking.  I made a texture package that blanks out 95% of the HUD stuff... I'll finish it later on.  Why?  Well with the HUD gone we are free to capture footage of the game running at 720p and use that for the attract video.  I just have to upscale and include the textures used for the "how to play" sequences, which are conveniently included with the game in an unused package. 

I did a test mockup the other night and included below is the "sd" screen grab from the video boomslang sent me and a version remastered by yours truly.  It took an hour to an hour and a half to re-create this particular screen and I think there are three or 4 more like it.  So that's not too bad.  If someone is good at video editing, I might pass this along to them once all the pieces are ready.  I can do it, but I'm really bad at it, which is probably why I post all my youtube videos sans editing.  ;)

deano7649

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2019, 02:03:01 am
« Reply #477 on: May 26, 2014, 04:15:25 am »
Been following this thread for a long while now, excellent work  :)

Where can I download the latest update for this please ?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #478 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:14 pm »
If you browse through this thread you'll find it, just work backwards.  ;)

This next release I'm starting a new Outrun Fxt thread and I'm going to make a real home for it on my website, so hopefully that'll make things easier. 

Guys save me some trouble here because I don't pay much attention to the text while playing.  What mode has the "mission failed" messages?  It looks like I've missed a few keyboard icons but some are unused in the game, so I'd like to make sure I actually have to change them before I go to the trouble.  I'm almost done btw.... I've got three more textures packs on the international stuff then it's just a matter of packing them up and getting the release ready. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #479 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
the regular story mode 2k6 C2C has mission failed if you dont make rank. sadly ive seen more times than i care to admit. is that what you are looking for?