Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359212 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »
Well let's put it this way.  I've made a extraction tool and while a tad buggy it does work.  My goal is to get things as close to the arcade as possible. 

If adding in the 360 buttons was quick/easy then I would be glad to do it, but replacing buttons is the hardest, most time consuming thing in terms of texture replacement.

The game is setup a bit odd.  Normally you would have one texture that contains all the buttons and that would be the end of it.  This game inexplicably has a set of buttons for every single status screen in the game.  I think I've found around 6 so far and still counting.  And they are arranged on sprites sheets, so the placement and size isn't universal.  There are actually xbox buttons already in the sprite sheets (for the xbox version) so minimal graphical skill would be necessary, but you'd have to scour through all  these sheets replacing them as you go.  On top of that replacement isn't universal. 

Example:  On 99% of the screens in game Enter=whatever button, gamepad or otherwise, you have mapped to start in addition to Enter.  Strangely enough in a few screens, like the time trial screen this is NOT the case.  Pressing start on a gamepad does nothing... you have to press "shift up" which also works in most of the menus as "start" but obviously isn't preferred when trying to use the arcade graphics. 

Long story short, I'll release the tool.  You guys can have fun.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »
Ok so I'm getting back in the nitty-gritty of things again.  The time for hooking stuff up is passed.  Now I've got to find remaining values. 

I found the "Number of Gears"  value, so that's really helpful... it fixes the OverRev Lamp I created as I now know when the car is in it's top gear.  I think I need to look for the auto/manual values as well, just in case.  With the Max gear value I can finally over-ride the gear code... you can map each gear to a button and jump straight from 1st to 5th.  I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but hey... you have the option now.  Something interesting is the fact that if you are in a 5 speed car and set the gear to 6, it will go into a phantom 6th gear.... the game even displays it in the hud.  Mind you it doesn't go any faster, but there you go. 

I started labeling all the camera values I found last year.  Man I don't understand how the Camera works at all.  Anyone want my latest cheat engine file to play with it? 

I managed to get some crazy stuff going on though, like an overhead view, a helicopter view, a rear view (which is really creepy because you see the sets disappearing as you drive and others.) 

SegaOutrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2014, 02:18:39 am »
Ok so I'm getting back in the nitty-gritty of things again.  The time for hooking stuff up is passed.  Now I've got to find remaining values. 

I found the "Number of Gears"  value, so that's really helpful... it fixes the OverRev Lamp I created as I now know when the car is in it's top gear.  I think I need to look for the auto/manual values as well, just in case.  With the Max gear value I can finally over-ride the gear code... you can map each gear to a button and jump straight from 1st to 5th.  I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but hey... you have the option now.  Something interesting is the fact that if you are in a 5 speed car and set the gear to 6, it will go into a phantom 6th gear.... the game even displays it in the hud.  Mind you it doesn't go any faster, but there you go. 

I started labeling all the camera values I found last year.  Man I don't understand how the Camera works at all.  Anyone want my latest cheat engine file to play with it? 

I managed to get some crazy stuff going on though, like an overhead view, a helicopter view, a rear view (which is really creepy because you see the sets disappearing as you drive and others.)

interesting, i was gonna ask if you had access to the overhead view only accessible in the xbox beta version but, i assumed you had a lot on your hands. good to know that you can access it.

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:23 am »
Well let's put it this way.  I've made a extraction tool and while a tad buggy it does work.  My goal is to get things as close to the arcade as possible. 

If adding in the 360 buttons was quick/easy then I would be glad to do it, but replacing buttons is the hardest, most time consuming thing in terms of texture replacement.

The game is setup a bit odd.  Normally you would have one texture that contains all the buttons and that would be the end of it.  This game inexplicably has a set of buttons for every single status screen in the game.  I think I've found around 6 so far and still counting.  And they are arranged on sprites sheets, so the placement and size isn't universal.  There are actually xbox buttons already in the sprite sheets (for the xbox version) so minimal graphical skill would be necessary, but you'd have to scour through all  these sheets replacing them as you go.  On top of that replacement isn't universal. 

Example:  On 99% of the screens in game Enter=whatever button, gamepad or otherwise, you have mapped to start in addition to Enter.  Strangely enough in a few screens, like the time trial screen this is NOT the case.  Pressing start on a gamepad does nothing... you have to press "shift up" which also works in most of the menus as "start" but obviously isn't preferred when trying to use the arcade graphics. 

Long story short, I'll release the tool.  You guys can have fun.  ;)
Oh wow well screw that then LOL!! I'll just stick with the arcade buttons. Oh yeah I know about the Xbox buttons still being on there. This mustve been based off that version instead of vice versa.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2014, 03:21:00 am »
Yeah I didn't find a new viewpoint, I just have direct control of the camera axis.  There should be x,y,z, rotation as well as distance.  I can't seem to figure out which is which and what format the values are in... maybe radians? 

I was thinking it would be good for recording new intro footage.  We'll have to wait and see what Boomslang comes up with on his Lindbergh board first. 

I hooked up the new gear code btw.  This is alpha so there isn't much in the way of configuration, but basically I mapped the gears to the numpad keys as well as up/down gears to +/-  Before I release it I'll go ahead and make sure the joystick buttons also work. 

It's more of a proof of concept really, but now that I've played with it a bit, I can actually see the appeal.  If you have a massive wreck you really need to shift back to 1st.  Now instead of having to down-shift several times you can just jam it into first and be back on the road.  It would be good for sim guys at least. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:17 am »
Holy crap look what I found.  I was trying to figure out what the heck these camera values do, so I zeroed them all out to start from scratch... when they are all set to 1... look what you get.

Yeah, that's a rear-view mirror!  It's part of the car model.  Unfortunately our driver has it adjusted improperly, it's pointed at the sky, but hey... rear view.   

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2014, 04:46:25 am »
should have it sorted maybe tomorrow night, just waiting for replacement video card being sent to arrive. Had a card left at my place today as I wasn't home so Ill go pickup tomorrow, then can capture it all. If you don't want it widescreen etc then I can capture it at a suitable resolution etc. Do you want it showing footage from loading game right through attract mode etc just like Outrun 2 Chihiro vid or just attract mode only.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:49:23 am by Boomslang »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:18 am »
Widescreen is preferred.  It can always be cropped.  The loading screens with the sega logo and ect have to be cut unfortunately... those aren't videos so if you don't want to bother capturing that stuff it's fine.  I want the title screen though. 

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2014, 07:14:45 am »
Really impressive work HC! I've received my Outrun2 game. Will test it later today :-)

I've read in an interview ("Making of... Outrun 2" in EDGE magazine) that Sumo asked AM2 if they could add the tracks in reverse to add replayability to the home versions. Only to learn that AM2 only modelled what was visible from the car in the normal views, so I'm guessing the rearview mirror wouldn't actually show the scenary correctly.

-edit: found the article online: http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-outrun-2/ "For example, if you could position the camera behind the buildings and trackside objects you would see that it’s like a movie set, with only the facade modeled." I think it is an extract of the printed article as I recall they go into detail how Sega build the perfect scenary for each of the possible viewpoints.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:21:34 am by Felsir »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »
Yeah it becomes apparent when you mess with the camera.  I was just impressed that they bothered to not only model a rear-view but to add a genuine reflection of the stuff in the back.  Other than the rather small textures used for some things, on the race cars you can just keep zooming in and you never run out of detail. 

I'll throw up some more screenshots just for fun tonight, including "spy hunter" view.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #330 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »
A couple of camera view I was playing with. 

First a Helicopter "chase cam"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2014, 04:19:59 pm »
And what I'm calling a "spy hunter" cam.  Note that I could actually make it full-on overhead, no angle, but because it's on a horizontal monitor, you can't see enough road ahead of you to play the game. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
The reason the game doesn't have any of these overhead views is because of the way the backgrounds are rendered.  In 16:9 view you run out of background and regardless when you get to the end of the stage the off ramps don't have any background to show!  That's why those walls are so high. 

S0L

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2014, 11:53:01 am
« Reply #333 on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »
You know, if you asked nicely, I could be motivated to help :)

---
S0L
---

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »
With what in particular?  I apologize if this comes off as rude, but I'm not 100% sure I know who you are.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:52 pm »
Ok 1.4a

Outputs are fixed (although I now, ironically have more to hookup that I haven't included yet). 
Gear shift override is now an option. 
FXTConfig.exe now has most of these new options included so you don't have to muck about in ini files. 

NOTE:  In the last version FXTXinput.ini was just dumped into the application path.  Now it has been renamed to "Xinput.ini" and put in the FXTCfg folder.  The old one will still work if you've been tweaking, just rename it and move it accordingly. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:04 pm »
I've been working on odds-n-ends tonight to take a break from coding. 

I made a title screen that will most likely make it into the final version for the intro video. 

Rad Tools is actually pretty flexible in terms of what you can convert to video... I actually made a "press start" animation by toggling two pngs and then mixed in an ogg file.  It was static but it made a decent title screen.  I'll have to add in the arcade button later.  I can also interleave two files so what I'll do is make the left and right portion of the logo image transparent so I can borrow the cloud animation from the official attract mode. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #337 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:29 am »
Ok here's a quickie.  This new package will remove the "press enter" message at the title screen.

Just extract and copy to the sprite folder. 

Remember to backup.

Enter Removal Mod

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #338 on: April 09, 2014, 05:08:34 am »
Grrr  :angry:

Received my video card tonight and it doesn't work. Apparently Ive been sold a cheap Chinese card which wont work! Basically ill return this to the seller and get a new card off someone whos trustworthy. Will be delayed now obviously

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:27 am »
Both of these attract videos are great and thanks again for the press enter mod, its a shame that if you leave the game to roll through the attracts modes a few time that it freezes and pixelates then after a while is ok again.... I understand that the problem might be that these videos are 480i and re-encoding them to 640x480 might fix this. What software do you suggest?

Also I have included two screen shots of the Loading screen from the original Outrun 2 and Outrun2SP arcade

I would love it if you could adjust the text which currently says LOADING to PLEASE STAND BY which the Outrun2SP has ( :

Keep up the good work....

Outrun 2 standby screens, Picture 1 Outrun2, Picture 2 Outrun2SP ( The one that the PC version is almost apart from the text ) Picture 3 is the regular PC version as it is now

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »
Tested the new version (1.4a): now mamehooker hooks up!  ;D

Not sure if you are going lazy or what, but only the 3 views and the start light are hooked.. what about the brake lamp, the over rev lamp (not sure if there could be other lamps really...  :D)? Your debug windows records the changes of those so for sure they can be hooked!

Ah, about the start lamp: it's mapped the wrong way:it correctly blinks when the "press start" screen is there, but it's always on when should be off. With mamehooker it can be reversed (which also demonstrate that the old mamehooker bug is fixed) but we wanna everithing 100% "right" here  :lol

Howard you are sharing something really asked for from the community, so many thanks!  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:59:13 pm by baritonomarchetto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #341 on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:22 pm »
They are hooked actually.  Mamehooker doesn't detect a output until it's fired.  Stuff like the OverRev and Brake lamp don't fire until you are playing the game.  I've got most stuff hooked up at least.    The physics data isn't hooked up yet, but that's because it's still in-flux atm.  I'll add it once all the force-feedback stuff is done. 

The issues with the videos are probably more about the aspect than anything else.  The game just doesn't like anything other than a 4:3 aspect.  I will probably up-convert them to 720p 4:3 aspect so we don't loose any resolution.  If I do this by squashing the vid instead of cropping it, when you play on a 16:9 screen it'll stretch back out only you won't have errors.  Or at least my new test title screen does.  But apparently I might be getting some help with this, so let's hold off for the time being.  ;)

Yeah the loading screen is easy enough to change now that I have a look at it.  That might still be in the package actually, I'll just have to move it over on the sprite sheet. 

I did the start lamp that way on purpose actually.  I'm not sure how the arcade cab was, it's been a good 6 years since I've sat in one, but the blinkly lights guys tend to like the lights on, and in most sega games at least, once you press start the light stays on.  Remember, I'm faking these things anyway... so I have a little bit of leeway.

Oh I do have a POC  attract video... it's just a short little loop for file-size reasons, but of course I can interleave that with music, put in some footage from the arcade attract, ect....  I actually have it setup with "Lift You Up" playing on my machine, but that makes the file crazy big... so for now just a test.  I'll up it in a sec.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #342 on: April 09, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
Actually with 7z it wasn't that bad.  Here's the very static, but still cleaner test title screen.  Actually I did remake the arcade press start icon and added that in, so there's some animation at least. 

FXT Attract Vid POC

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: April 09, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »
Thanks again Howard, and I agree Baritonomarchetto that this is truly important project which any die hard Outrun2 fan will appreciate for years to come...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2014, 02:46:13 pm »
Ok a bit of a progress update from what I did last night.  I managed to find the memory addresses for the radio selection in 2k6, and while it's a bit more convoluted (each album has it's own position variable) I can track it.  So I can hook up swap tracks for 2k6 mode as well. In addition, since I now know specifically which track you are on, I can add a "Now Playing" variable for mamehooker.  Totally un-necessary, but still fun. 

Ok now here's the deal on how I'm going to address the keyboard issues.  I'm going to support keyboards, but only in the default configuration, aka the default keys.  That way the values are known to me and I can track them.  This seems like a fair compromise to me.  Now with some of the over-rides I'm going to build this will be a non-issue in game, but the menu handles inputs differently and that's what I'm referring to. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »
They are hooked actually.  Mamehooker doesn't detect a output until it's fired.  Stuff like the OverRev and Brake lamp don't fire until you are playing the game.  I've got most stuff hooked up at least.   

You can bet that i pressed the brake button while playing and that i sent the engine over RPM (RPM exceed light), but those two outputs are not in the ini file... not sure if this depends on my "weird" setup, but for sure someone else will report.

I did the start lamp that way on purpose actually.  I'm not sure how the arcade cab was, it's been a good 6 years since I've sat in one, but the blinkly lights guys tend to like the lights on, and in most sega games at least, once you press start the light stays on.  Remember, I'm faking these things anyway... so I have a little bit of leeway.

The original outrun, powerdrift, outrunners, super hangon (thunderblade too, even if it's not racing) for sure work the other way: start light always off, blinking when a credit is inserted  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2014, 03:17:52 pm »
Yeah but did you watch the status window while you were playing?  They are hooked up, they probably just didn't get saved to the ini, which won't happen if you work on it while the game is running.  Probably a mamehooker bug, but aside form you I couldn't get anybody to test, so I'm not working on it right now. 

It actually saves to the ini properly for me though. 

Just so you don't think I'm blowing you off, I've included a snapshot with mamehooker 5.1 and the 1.4a I just released. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »
They are hooked up, they probably just didn't get saved to the ini, which won't happen if you work on it while the game is running. 

I had mamehooker in the background and it detected the first 4 entries as soon as the menu popped up. Then i made some toying with those, yes, but soon after i sent mamehooker to the bar and nothing else was detected. Maybe mamehooker prevents the first ini created to be overridden with new entries ...
So, a possible solution could be to manually insert those two values in the mamehooker ini, right?

Probably a mamehooker bug, but aside form you I couldn't get anybody to test, so I'm not working on it right now. 

Keep this in mind, you rude boy  :lol (kidding)

Just so you don't think I'm blowing you off, I've included a snapshot with mamehooker 5.1 and the 1.4a I just released.

You could never blow me off dude  >:D :lol
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:33:44 pm by baritonomarchetto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2014, 10:20:53 pm »
Well I got the "Now Playing:"  stuff hooked up and as a consequence the radio toggle also works in 2k6 mode, so that's nice.  I also changed the way it works a little bit.  Now as long as you don't have any of the swappable tracks selected, you can swap with brake.  I did this since 2k6 mode doesn't have a random slot.  Don't worry it won't let you swap if you have the wrong ones selected. 

Also Brake's default keyboard key (down) will also swap the tracks.  It's a shame I have to hard code it that way, but I don't get game input data until a race starts, so that's the best I can do. 

I think tonight/tomorrow I'll hook up more odds n ends and clean up a bit, then I'll start on the first input override... the gearshift.  I'll make it mappable to any joystick or keyboard key. 

Since racing rigs are so darn weird, I'm going to part out the control over-rides into sections:
Buttons
Gear Shift
Gas
Brake
Wheel. 

You can optionally override any of these, or just let Outrun handle your controls.  It doesn't make any difference really.  My guess is 95% of the people won't use overrides except for maybe the gearshift (to make it work on a H-shifter) or the buttons (to get individual view buttons).  So I'm going to do those two first, then I'll maybe work on true FF and THEN if there is demand for it, I'll make the other overrides. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2014, 01:53:56 am »
I got the keyboard portion of the Gear Shift configurable, next comes the joystick.  Then I'll make a view button override.  It's going to be tricky for that one because unlike the shifter and other functions, pure buttons can't easily be blocked. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:16 am »
Oooh, I found something good.  I've apparently stumbled upon the array that stores the various camera views.  The variable isn't even protected, I can just write directly to it to change views. 

2=Default
513=Dash
256=inside

But the cool thing is all the other oddball views are in there as well, glamor shots of the front and rear tires... a side front and back view of the car... an outside view thats zoomed in on the car right to the characters inside and what appears to be that infamous overhead view seen in the prototype.  There are about 2 dozen in all... most aren't particularly interesting or useful in-game BUT these are the shots used to record the attract mode video, so we could re-do it in hd if necessary. 

Since there are so many, I'm going to add a 4th view lamp and I'll try to document the good ones.  Then you'll be able to select which 4 views you want to bind to keys. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2014, 07:32:38 am »
WOW!!!! You found infamous overhead view seen in the prototype.  Just Wow

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2014, 03:13:01 pm »
Dear Howard_C, thanks for your job!

I play Outrun 2006 C2C since its released. I looked for a mod almost every year, and now I found your mod.

I am very happy with the FF features, and look forward for the amazing camera mods, even if that makes the scenery corrupted/misaligned at some places.

:notworthy:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:41:59 pm by GreatLamer »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »
Howdy All, long time lurker, first time poster here at BYOAC. I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest and the related thread over at the Supermodel forums. I just wanted to reiterate my sentiments from over there about what a great project I think this is, really, really great work Howard!

In terms of the game's intros and attract modes, I was wondering if this YouTube video, captured from the original Lindbergh hardware, would be of any use to you (for the purposes of video capture and conversion to a .bik file)?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2014, 05:54:56 pm »
If BoomSlang still has issues, yeah, that's an option, but youtube clips aren't exactly of the highest quality.  I think he's got the US version as well, so you know... English.  ;)

I think we can hold off on vids for a while.  It looks like to get rid of the artifacting after a few rounds I'm going to have to convert them into 4:3 and then just stretch em back out.  I need the footage of course, but in all honesty I'll probably end up re-working a lot of the intros by hand anyway to get them up to HD. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »
Ok so here's how I'm going to handle the vr buttons (I think).

The nice thing is, like the shifter override  the buttons you've mapped within the game will still work fine in the menus... I'm just blocking them during the race. 

I've seen sega racers with 4 buttons, ones with 3 and one's like Outrun 2, that only have one.  So the game already gives you the single button option obviously. 

In addition I'm going to add:

3 button mode - each view is binded to a button, the first button will be used as the "view" button in the menus, because it's typically red like in the new ui I built.  Lamps operate as expected.

4 button mode - Exactly like 4 button mode, only one better.  Again lamps (4 of them now) operate like expected.

1+3 button mode.  The game's VR mode is left in tact and will work normally but you have three additional hard-coded views to play with.  In this mode lamp 1 will be the game's vr button and will remain static, while the other 3 buttons will denote the view selected. 

In all three modes, instead of forcing you to use the game's default 3 views you'll instead be able to use a array number to access a view from the array I found.  Some of them are interesting, so I'm sure you'll find something to bind to that optional 4th view.

I've got things kind of kludged in for a test and everything works great.  The only sacrifice in overriding the view is that those nice slow transitions are gone.  Now the game immediately jumps to the view you've selected... no fading or camera panning or anything.  But the default vr button still has those effects if using 1+3 mode. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:38:23 pm by Howard_Casto »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »
I've worked out my problem on Lindbergh and need a new jvs baseboard, so I'm returning this video board and getting baseboard as replacement. I was wrong about video card being be issue basically. Won't be too long

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:34 am »
Cool man, like I said, no hurry at all. 

So I got the VR Button and Gear Shift overrides pretty well done and configurable... at least for keyboard input (I still haven't decided how I'm going to handle joysticks). 

I need to take the time to update the configurator because it's a little hairy to configure these two via an ini file.  I'll probably release a new alpha before the week is out. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2014, 02:44:23 am »
Re-tested the hooking: outputs other than the lamps where not saved in the ini because i had modifyied it before starting the race.

Am i wrong or with MAME it plays differently? I mean, as soon as the game is launched, all the outputs are recorded?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2014, 03:12:27 am »
Re-tested the hooking: outputs other than the lamps where not saved in the ini because i had modifyied it before starting the race.

Am i wrong or with MAME it plays differently? I mean, as soon as the game is launched, all the outputs are recorded?

No with mame it works the same way... as outputs are fire they are labeled, sorted, and recorded.  Try Dig Dug.... it looks like it doesn't have any outputs until the game fully boots.  Many games set all the outputs to "0" upon startup though.  I'll probably do that before I'm done, but right now what outputs I'll be adding and what-not is still up in the air. 

There is a different communication protocol in place though, so keep that in mind.  DDE is just simpler for my purposes. 

I appreciate you checking btw... when I find stuff I have to work on it immediately so I don't lose track of what I've discovered....... my memory isn't what it used to be unfortunately.