Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359407 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:13 am »
My guess is the Lindbergh version is so hardware dependent that you'd basically have to re-create the Linux box it's already running on.  Then again that might be considerably cheaper than the real arcade hardware, I dunno. 

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:56 am »
Just so we are clear...that is not all the files and currently will not work at all. Jay did tell me he might release it over the next year or so.

yeah, the readme makes it pretty clear what's missing. I'm just glad that there is something tangible out there. If I actually had access to a dump or two I wouldn't mind playing around with it a bit... sadly I haven't been able to find anything.

My guess is the Lindbergh version is so hardware dependent that you'd basically have to re-create the Linux box it's already running on.  Then again that might be considerably cheaper than the real arcade hardware, I dunno.

I get the impression that it's no more hardware dependent than the TTX stuff, it's just that the security has a lot tighter integration than TTX did..

Honestly I think if Lindbergh had Street Fighter on it, it would already be done... the effort put into hacking/emulation seems directly proportional to the popularity of the games on the system.... Case and point: the state of PS2 emulation vs Original Xbox Emulation.

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:14 pm »
Yeah apparently it's not hardware dependant at all

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »
Getting back on topic.....

I'm reluctant to post this considering it's April 1st, but rest assured this is legitimate news. 

Now that mamehooker is out, I used what I learned with it, troubleshooter 2, and MKKE and went back to work on this.

I've gotten pretty far along with the force-feedback actually. 

What I decided to do is, for now, hook everything up via xinput for use with a 360 controller.  I know, complain all you want, but it's protocols are a lot easier to deal with and thus it's a lot easier to test the actual logic of the wrapper with xinput..... I can add true ff later. 

So far except for a handful of obvious and annoying bugs it works pretty well.  I've got a terrain smoothness variable (how much the tire bounce) that rumbles the soft motor when you run on sand, barely run off the road or are running on wet road.  I've also got a friction variable that rumbles the hard motor when you flat off run off the road.  In addition to that, I've got a "hard impact force" that tells me when you've hit a semi or a guard rail that rumbles both motors and a "shifter pop" that lightly rumbles the soft motor when the car hits max rpm and you are changing gears.   

All of these work really well.  Now if I can just tackle the bugs. 

First off, these values are "reset" when you got back to the menu, and unfortunately they reset to full on, causing everything to rumble like crazy.  I've found a few variables that give me some info on what screen you are in so hopefully I can use that to fix it.  Secondly, I'm reading actual car physics for the most part, so when the car does that crazy burnout at the start of the race and the slide and the end... yup it rumbles.  Also the terrain value is different in outrun 2 modes because the physics of outrun 2 are different.  It means my max value is wrong, so I'll have to find a way to set and detect that.  Finally, I haven't added a speed multiplier yet, so even if the car is at a stop it'll rumble if you go off the road. 

These problems aren't nearly as bad as they sound though, so hopefully I'll have a VERY crude test program ready by the end of the week. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »
Fantastic! Only issue for me would properly be that I'm pretty sure my wheel doesn't do xinput and only does directinput. But it's cool to hear that your getting stuff done!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2014, 12:55:24 am »
I worked on this some more.  I can tell specifically what menu I'm in in Outrun 2 mode, so rumble is working more or less as it should in that mode.  I also added a bit of a sanity check.... rumble doesn't work unless you are traveling over 15kph.  Those two combined should fix most issues. 

I have the other variable which gives you the global menu data (which 2k6 mode uses) as well, but it's one of those crazy double pointers.  I'll have to study a bit to translate Cheat engine pointers to useable pointers.  So for now I've disabled rumble in 2k6 mode..... I"ll try to work on that tomorrow. 

I've also did a bit of code that hopefully should fix that max terrain issue as well.  It glitches out occasionally, but once the race starts and you apply the gas, it fixes itself... so not too bad. 

I've also hooked up general car info as well, mph/kph, rpm and what gear you are in.  Although I can't seem to find the overRev lamps memory position, I managed to fake one via all the other data and a bit of code.  It isn't 100% accurate though... in 5 gear cars the rpm's can really max out and my overRev logic thinks there is one more gear to go...so I'll have to think on that one a bit. 

Other than that though, I think it's coming along nicely. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2014, 02:58:45 am »
I cannot wait to test the rumble in O2C2C !!  :notworthy:

... a good reason to roll back my controller drivers to Xinput!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2014, 03:10:22 am »
Boomslang: 

I've got a job for you if you still have your hardware.  It would be really nice if you can do video to get the attract mode captured.  2k6's attract mode... well it's not too great and it's just a video file anyway, so maybe we can work some arcade stuff into the video. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:12 am »
Ok should be possible. I can do it via a capture card I've got

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2014, 03:26:33 pm »
Hey Howard,

Have you look at the PSN version of Outrun (Outrun Online Arcade)? Maybe there something in there that can be useful to you. The PSN version is HD like the arcade versions but i imagine that filesystem is easier to view/mod since its in a more common playstation format. It was removed from the PSN store due to licensing but i have all the files if you need anything.

Let me know   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2014, 03:56:06 pm »
Yeah.  Sega uses it's own proprietary storage format for the outrun games.  I more or less figured it out for the pc version.  The Online Arcade versions... not so much.  In terms of graphics I've got most of what I need anyway.  Remember, even though I can get HD textures from the online arcade rips, I can't actually use hd textures in the game. 

Videos are another deal all together.... they are just bink video files, which is almost as common as mpeg4 when it comes to gaming... we can make our own. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
I had a few minutes this evening so I fired things up.  I figured out the issue with the menu pointer.... The pointer, instead of being a offset of the exe address was instead a static address in memory.  Huh?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose (security wise) of using a pointer?

Anyway, with that I can tell more or less when you are racing, so things only rumble when they are supposed to.  The only glitch is that if you happen to exit a race while the game is rumbling, the rumble won't stop until the "loading..." screen goes away.  It's slightly annoying, but since it stops when you get to the menus that's acceptable imho. 

I also know of a memory location that gives me the state of a Paused game, so combine those two and it should take care of it (the game has to be paused before you exit a race). 

I also added a horn function.  It annoys the crap out of me that outrun has a horn button, but other than the menus, it's only used in maybe two heart attack stages towards the end of the game.  So now if you press the horn button (outside of a menu) it'll play "horn.wav"  Now if somebody can make me a horn sound, that'd be nice.  I want something that loops, so you get a long, drawn out beep if you hold the button, but a short "toot" if you tap it.  Felsir might want that for 80's racer as well.  ;)

We are getting there.  Barring a major bug or something I see no reason why I can't release a proof of concept app this weekend, maybe sooner. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2014, 11:05:53 pm »
Disregard the comment about the horn sound.  I've got a decent loop finished.  Although if someone has access to a genuine Ferrari horn sound and wants to loop it.  ;)

Anyway, even more additions.  I added vr lamps, a brake lamp and a start lamp for when outputs get hooked up.  I've also added a lot more menu status variables which seem to make the force feedback more stable, almost perfect even.  This also allowed me to re-enable the rumble in the 2k6 mode. 

I want to do a couple of more little things tomorrow, then I'll release it for a test. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2014, 04:01:58 am »
good stuff howard. I cant wait to test it

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2014, 08:26:05 am »
Although if someone has access to a genuine Ferrari horn sound and wants to loop it.
Sorry, I only have access to a scalemodel Lamborghini.  ;)

I'm looking to buy Outrun 2006 for the PC, so far no luck. :-( I do have the  PS3 version, but I'd like to have it in my cab.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »
Well Sega lost the Ferrari license so they can't sell it anymore. A few years ago you could still get it via ebay or whatever, but I think at this point you might have to "acquire" it. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2014, 01:16:14 pm »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2014, 03:58:00 pm »
Well different people have different policies on these sort of things, but in the case of 2k6 in particular, I consider it to be "abandon ware"  Sega doesn't sell it and not only that, but because they've lost the license they'll never have the ability to sell it in the foreseeable future.

Unless we see an Outrun 3 (unlikely given Sega's current state) this will probably be the last version on the pc, thus why I'm willing to put so much work into fixing an "ancient" 7 year old game.    I don't know what we are gonna do if windows ever drops x86 support... but given the current (lack of) progress with pc evolution, hopefully that's a long ways off. 

Oh Felsir, if you want my horn sample You are welcome to it.  I went super old school with the implementation.  I used a "playsound" api call with the snd_async and snd_loop flags.  When the horn is pressed the loop plays (which is a horn oscillation without the trail off, making it loop well) when the user lets go of the horn button I stop the sound by playing nothing... so it honks as long as you hold it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2014, 04:52:32 pm »
So I was playing around with RADTools to see what we could do in terms of an Intro Video.  The game crashes on anything larger than 720p, but 720p would be a marked improvement over the 480p video we currently have.  I guess I need to make a texture set with invisible textures for the hud and then someone with a better capture card than me can record some nice, 720p footage of the car racing around.  Then we can edit in overlays and what not and make a new intro. 

But I need to figure out a name for the update of the game first. 

I kind of want to drop the 2006... makes it sound old. 

Outrun 2 C2C:  SDX
Outrun 2:  Complete Edition
Outrun 2:  Feel the Road

Ideas?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:34:19 pm by Howard_Casto »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »
Maybe you can finally pull out "Electric Boogaloo"
I know you've been wanting to use it.  ;)

Outrun 2: Coast to Most

Outrun 2 BYX

Outrun 2: Skin to Win

Outrun 2 FXT (for fixed)  I'm diggin' this one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:25:48 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »
I'm looking to buy Outrun 2006 for the PC, so far no luck.

I just received a rare sealed game purchased from ebay.
The auction said it was for PC, but I received the Mac version.  :banghead:

I was going to acquire it elsewhere anyway because I wanted to keep it sealed, but now I feel less justified.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »
Outrun Thrice
Outrun :FTFY
Outrun :2k14
Outrun : HC
Outrun 2 :SPC2CSDX Arcade Outrunners Online
Outrunners 2
Outmod 2 : Code 2 Code
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:38:29 pm by SegaOutrun »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »
So I was playing around with RADTools to see what we could do in terms of an Intro Video.  The game crashes on anything large than 720p, but 720p would be a marked improvement over the 480p video we currently have.  I guess I need to make a texture set with invisible textures for the hud and then someone with a better capture card than me can record some nice, 720p footage of the car racing around.  Then we can edit in overlays and what not and make a new intro. 

But I need to figure out a name for the update of the game first. 

I kind of want to drop the 2006... makes it sound old. 

Outrun 2 C2C:  SDX
Outrun 2:  Complete Edition
Outrun 2:  Feel the Road

Ideas?

I can record some videos etc tonight and as a temp video until my Lindbergh card arrives ill record the attract video from chihiro version tonight too

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »
Cool... don't work too hard though.  I'm not exactly sure what we need tbh, I'm just trying to collect as much stuff as possible.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:47 pm »
Nice suggestions guys, keep em' coming.  I actually kind of like FXT myself.... it has a nice ring to it. 

Outrun2:  FTW would be pretty good as well.  "For the Win" would fit in with the racing theme but has a nice pun and double meaning.....because...internet.

So what I'm trying to do tonight is to go ahead and define/hook up all the data I found a few months back with my endless nights of memory hacking and converting the data into a useable format. 

Now that I'm actually getting down the formatting aspect of things, it's not wonder I was about to pull my hair out finding a few of these....

example:

For the "Total Time" and "Time" variables.......  they don't exist.  What the game does is uses the "time left" and "time elapsed" variables which are in, for lack of a better term "game time" then multiplies them by .01666666667, which converts the values into "game seconds" (which do NOT equate to a second in real life) and then formats accordingly.  Total Time's formatting, btw, makes zero sense, so I don't even know why it's presented that way in the hud.  It's 0 ' 00 " 000, except "0" isn't game Minutes, nor is it game Seconds either.  The formatting is Hours, seconds, microseconds, but like I said, it doesn't display that.  It isn't in "game time" either, because I have to do the conversion like I do with seconds to get it to display properly.

Dealing with that kind of nonsense is crazy So I get a number in game time like "5940", and multiply it by .0166666667 to get it converted to 99 seconds. 

The Speedometer is similarly stored in "game units per hour" which I then convert to kph and then convert again to mph.  The rpm variable has a scalar multiplier and since the game uses an analog dial, it's really tricky for me to convert, so the values I've calculated are just a rough estimate. 

So long story short, I've got those outputs formatted, but don't expect them to be spot on. 

Why am I bothering?  Well outrun is surprisingly multi-monitor friendly.  You can stretch it as far as you want and the 3d components of the game at least will stay in the proper ratio.  Unfortunately, in-game menus and the hud aren't.  They are just stretched to the full size of the screen, which is acceptable with one 16:9 monitor, starts looking really funny by the time you get to 3, and is downright unreadable if you go to 4 or more.  The only way I know to combat that (since I can't find the 2d rendering code in the game) is to blank out the hud and overlay a custom one.  So I need as many variables as possible. 

I've found:

Score
Speed
RPM
Total Time
Time
Hearts
Hearts Per Stage
Current "Leg" of the Race
Current Individual Stage (Pyramid Position)

and a few others. 

I've also got all the steering data and quite a bit of physics data I went over in previous posts. 

So the mission over the rest of the week is to get all of that working and this weekend I'll release a POC. 

I'm going to do this in stages.  The first build won't have any user options.  The next build will let you adjust the strength of the effects and possibly a few launch options.  The build after that will completely block the game's control configuration and let you bind things via the wrapper.  Then I'll add some custom controls (I can part the view button into three dedicated buttons, split the shifter out into individual gears and ect...)  Then finally I'll add dx force-feedback.  Then if I'm still interested, we'll get into the fun stuff like a HUd replacement and Outrun Radio

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #265 on: April 04, 2014, 03:11:25 am »
I found a cheap copy of Outrun 2006 on a dutch "ebay"-like site for 10 euros, so let's see when it arrives. I was surprised to see someone had a twin outrun 2 cab for sale for 3750 euro (~$5000). Anyway, in a couple of days I should be able to join the fun (otherwise I'll try to "aquire" it ;-) )

Howard_Casto, I'd love to have that horn sample. :-)

Looking forward to the POC.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #266 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:06 am »
At work and limited to MS paint so I'm not even going to try it right now, but I'm picturing this:

modified to say "The Dragon King presents Outrun2SP FXT"
It would be real easy to change those parts and leave the rest the same.

We could come up with something else for special tours at the bottom also.
or the SP would be easy to chop off as well.

EDIT:  Or replace SP with your initials!  Outrun2 HC FXT (Howard Casto fixed) flows nicely
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:50:06 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #267 on: April 04, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
I've got a collection of logos at this point.  Strangely enough they released HD versions of all the logos in their press kits... I'm not sure why, a webpage or magazine isn't going to need something that insanely large, but it's nice for me. 

I'm kind of partial to the Online Arcade logo, the color scheme matches the 2k6 menus, so I don't have to change anything. 

I think I want to keep "SP" out of the title if at all possible.  The way I look at 2k6 it's a collection.  You've got 2k6 mode, 2SP mode and regular 2 mode.  So the title should represent the collection.  I thought about re-arranging the 2k6 mode and making my own (I can tweak challenges and stuff to a degree) but then I thought people would probably rather have the un-molested game, so I'll save that for another project. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good way to implement the bonus songs.  The Japan version of the game had four bonus tracks.  A J arrange version of Splash Wave, Rush A Difficulty, Magical Sound Shower, and a brand new song called "Lift you Up!"  All are very metal-centric and would make Stan Busch proud.  ;)  I'm thinking of doing it like I did MKKE... simply rename the ogg files when a button is pressed.  I'm going to have to put a butt-load of checks in place though....  oggs are streamed, so if the track(s) in question happen to be playing while I try to switch them, you'll get a big crash. 

Of course eventually all of this will be removed.  With Outrun Radio I'm going to blank out all tracks but the endings, and you'll just have radio controls like in Outruners/Rad Racer.  I can totally get why someone wouldn't want to use that though.  The individual game stages are less than 40 seconds, so if you are just doing a quick challenge it would be a lot of work. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: April 04, 2014, 03:41:14 pm »
C'mon Howard, stop writing and upload something! We are hungry and only improvements in this seminal game will satiate our hunger!  :angry:

:D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:44:38 pm by baritonomarchetto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #269 on: April 04, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »
I know, but right now there are still a few minor bugs to work out.  Like I said, this weekend comes the release (probably tomorrow). 

I figured out a good method for swapping out the songs.  At least when in outrun 2 mode, I can pretty well tell what menu you are in and what you have selected.  So if in the radio menu of or2/or2sp if you slam on the brakes while Random is selected, you'll get a little sound and the original tracks will be swapped out with the bonus tracks.  Unfortunately they'll be labeled wrong, but fixing stuff like that comes later. 

*sigh*  Anyway, that was a nice little diversion from the drudgery that is hooking up the 6 dozen or so memory addresses I've discovered.  I'll get back on that tonight. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2014, 05:27:23 pm »
I have been following this since the beginning.... great work by the way... I have Outrun coaste to coaste 2006 running on converted Sega F355 arcade cockpit arcade marchine.

Really looking forward to the orginal video attract from the arcade finally inserted into the PC version.

But can't the title screen just be Outrun SP as it does have both games...

Or at least be an option?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »
Well like I said, the intro is just a video file.  You can use whatever you want. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2014, 12:50:11 am »
Wow I actually got it done early!  That never happens. 

https://www.mediafire.com/?3bv3arxnlk71fnj

I put it on my mediafire account because the bonus sound tracks make the package pretty darn big, even with 7z compression. 

I've been thinking, we might have to torrent this mo-fo once it's complete.  It'll have new intro videos and sounds and everything afterall. 

But in the mean-time there it is.  Now right now it's hard-coded to work with xinput controllers.  (Xbox 360 gamepads) If you don't have one then there really isn't any point of downloading it unless you really want those bonus tracks and horn sound.  ;)  Just dump it all in the outrun folder. 

Btw this is memory hacking we are dealing with here, so it might not work with all versions of 2k6.  Afaik there is only one version (multi-language dvd) but if for some reason it doesn't work for you, please let me know. 

I've included a readme to explain the finer details, but I want everyone to keep in mind that this is ALPHA. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2014, 03:45:20 am »
Some months ago someone sent me pics of the Lindbergh version with Clarissa's rank sprites.  I thought I would do a test version. 

Things are a bit pixelated, but that's just due to the puny 480i resolution of the 2d sprites. 

I believe the phrase is "boobs ahoy!"   :afro:

I still have the main sprite sheet to do (Outrun 2 mode uses different sprites for heart attack), but she's about done.  I've got most of the keyboard sprites replaced with the arcade control icons, but there are a few of those left to do.  So yeah, I'm actually about done with graphics as well. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2014, 05:14:46 am »
Great work! Ill try to wait patiently for direct input support and force feedback!

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2014, 06:51:13 am »
Ok, made a test this morning.

My setup is:

SO - win XP SP3
Wheel - Xbox360 controller hack with default drivers
OC2C - well, a not 100% legit version (noCD exe)

the debug windows shows my button presses, reports some lamp outputting, so the game is hooked. This is ok up to the end of the countdown, then, when you are going to actually play, i have this run-time error:

run-time error 9
subscript out of range

(see attached pic)

After that, the game is no more hooked.

Let see what people with legit exe reports  :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:53:01 am by baritonomarchetto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:33 pm »
Well all the output data from the screen is correct, so that's not it.  You've been messing with your xinput, so I'll bet that's the cause (the game won't rumble until after entering a race). 

The wrapper uses xinput1_3.dll, so make sure you have that and not xinput1_2.dll

Also is this 32bit xp or 64bit?  The addresses might differ in 32bit.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »
Here try the exe attached (I'm not re-uploading 20+ meg files anymore, so you need the first one as well.)

I've put in error handling in the main loop so hopefully it won't crash and then we can see what is wrong.

Also I fixed the annoying issue where it would drop you out of fullscreen upon launch. 

Giddygoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 04:13:04 am
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2014, 02:34:46 pm »
It great to see the new interest in the project again!!

Very exciting to follow...

I was wondering weather you might consider replacing the the loading screen before the game starts with the Arcade version where it says please wait ( it the same screen just different text )

Just a suggestion  tho

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »
Well all the output data from the screen is correct, so that's not it.  You've been messing with your xinput, so I'll bet that's the cause (the game won't rumble until after entering a race). 
I have been messing with that, but actually the default drivers are there

The wrapper uses xinput1_3.dll, so make sure you have that and not xinput1_2.dll
Would it be sufficient to place xinput1_3.dll in the exe folder?

Also is this 32bit xp or 64bit?  The addresses might differ in 32bit.
32 bit

just downloaded the new file and i will test it in an hour time  ;)