Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359266 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2013, 04:59:12 pm »
I'm not working on this atm... it's currently too nice outside, but people have been very helpful about sending me info and I've been running across stuff myself. 

The Japanese version of 2006 (called plain old Outrun 2 SP over there) had some different sound track selections.  4 Unique songs in total and they are all pretty awesome. 

Included are "SP Remix" versions of Passing Breeze, Splash Wave and Rush A Difficulty, all of which, seem oddly western sounding for a Japan only release. 

Also an original track titled "Lift You Up!" which, despite it's sweet-sounding title, is actually more like a Sega-fied Metallica song was included. 

All of these songs are included in the 20th anniversary Outrun soundtrack, which can be listened to here:

Oddly enough, there was more than enough room on the PC dvd to include these songs.  In the sprite sheet that contains all the song title sprites, there are even the "tracks" TBD 01 - TDB 06 (to be determined) which makes me think that these songs along with two more were supposed to be added to the pc version.  There's no code left unfortunately. 

But in my app I'll be taking control of the music (optionally of course) so we can add them back in. 

Also on the sprite/uncensor front.....  I ripped some of Clarissa's sprites from the PS2 version the hard way.  While the menu sprites are hack jobs,  apparently they did do new renders for the expression sprites.  Unfortunately they used an inferior base model.  In the ps2 version she has actual curves on her elbows, more realistic hair, ect....  But the ps2 sprites are also half the resolution, so they look slightly fuzzy.  I'm not sure which set would be best in this case. 
*edit*  Also Holly wears a totally different outfit.  It's more of a Jeans and T-shirt deal as opposed to her more dressy outfit in the US version. 

Uncensoring the models has been equally difficult.  That minor hole in the "ending" model is probably fixable, but the one for the in-game model is proving troublesome.  Even more frustrating is the fact that the uncensored models ARE included with the game, but I can't seem to swap them out due to incompatible bones.  The uncensored models are also referenced by the game code, so I've got to wonder how they are used. 

Perhaps some of our non-English friends can clarify.... is Clarissa's model (not the sprites) uncensored when running the game on a non-English pc?  I've tried changing the language settings, but to no effect. 

Also I made a proper horn icon, that looks much better as well as ripping the gas pedal icon.  I'll post some pics of all this new stuff once I come back to the project. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:06:25 pm by Howard_Casto »

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:56:07 pm
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2013, 12:32:32 am »
We need a private outrun 2006 server  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2013, 08:29:08 am »
I don't disagree, but it'd probably be easier to use a VPN instead.

strykr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 07:48:19 am
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »
Hi,

Isamu has linked to this thread over on Jamma+ and just wanted to say great work so far, this is extremely exciting!

Exceptional work.  :applaud:

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
Hi,

Isamu has linked to this thread over on Jamma+ and just wanted to say great work so far, this is extremely exciting!

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you hear Strykr  :cheers:

edit: NEEEEEVER mind, I see it's already been posted in there lol! If you guys are wondering this is Sharkfactor's driving cab:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:28:58 pm by isamu »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »
I'm loving the whole hype train thing, but I hope you guys don't expect too much.  This is one of my side projects afterall.  Atm, aside from gathering the necessary information, all I've actually done is a few texture replacements. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55:08 am »
Im sure people will be happy with anything you can do. Ive got the lindbergh version with ffb and it definately makes the game better....

Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2013, 04:16:44 am »
by the way i was playing online with a friend and rival car seems crazy .. somebody else suffered? :(

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2013, 06:38:02 am »
If you guys are wondering this is Sharkfactor's driving cab:

Technically, it's mine now.  ;D

Sharky sold it to someone else who cleaned it up some more and I've just bought it from them. I've got a few more mods to do to it myself. I'll not have the cab for a couple more weeks but I've started on an extra dash for it already, I'll start a thread once I've made a little more progress.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2013, 08:39:27 am »
*jelly*
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

strykr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 07:48:19 am
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2013, 02:17:38 pm »
Hi,

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you hear Strykr  :cheers:

edit: NEEEEEVER mind, I see it's already been posted in there lol! If you guys are wondering this is Sharkfactor's driving cab:

cheers Isamu  :) I actually signed up here a few years ago, put a help thread up and nowone replied lol!
There such a lot of good information on this site tho. And its projects like this that are beyond the comprehension of your average gamer that are very exciting.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »
Bah!  I'm just a low grade hacker/code monkey. 

Anyone here could do what I've been doing, it just takes at stupidly excessive amount of time. 

toyotasupraman

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2013, 05:34:31 pm »
Hello Howard, may I request that you post the files needed to have the extra shaders and light effects? Thanks in advance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
I can't do that.  It would be a violation of copyright. 

Acquire a copy of Outrun Online Arcade for the 360 (can be the demo version) and use one of the various tools that allow you to extract files from dlc.  You are looking for the "Buffers" folder as well as a few select files from the common folder. 

toyotasupraman

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2013, 07:56:36 pm »
Would using tool to extract the Buffers and Common folders and just dropping them on the OR2006 folder (not overwriting anything) be the correct procedure or is there something I missed?

And what would be the best way to test it worked, any stage where the shaders are particularly noticeable?

Again, thanks in advance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »
For the most part yes, although there could be some issues.  I haven't finalized anything yet. 

In the beach stage you'll notice a particularly bright lens flare at the starting line.  The sun will actually appear as well. 

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:25 pm »
Hey Howard, would it also be possible for you to replace the keyboard buttons with the 360 buttons? I could probably do it myself if it isn't too hard.

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Okay I have a question, what do you mean by Xbox version that is lumped inside of 2006's files? Was is the one from the Original Outrun 2 where they have a different select screen layouts and different font that was completely changed in SP?
For amusement only.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:01 pm »
In terms of sprites, pretty much all variants of outrun 2006 are in there. 

The arcade version of 2 SP (that's where I grabbed the new button icons), the xbox version of 2006, the psp version's maps, ect.... A few of the course config files for the ps2 and psp version are included as well.  That doesn't mean that any of it is usable, but it's in there. 

I mean just as examples there is a sprite sheet with a psp on it, one with a xbox controller and buttons, one with the xbox Ferrari wheel (released on in japan I believe) the entire outrun 2 sp arcade attract mode sprites, ect....

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2013, 02:59:08 pm »
Cool thanks for the info. Would it be hard for me to replace the button icons with the Xbox ones or 360 ones?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:21 pm »
I've already released the tool to do that...have at it. 

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
In terms of sprites, pretty much all variants of outrun 2006 are in there. 

The arcade version of 2 SP (that's where I grabbed the new button icons), the xbox version of 2006, the psp version's maps, ect.... A few of the course config files for the ps2 and psp version are included as well.  That doesn't mean that any of it is usable, but it's in there. 

I mean just as examples there is a sprite sheet with a psp on it, one with a xbox controller and buttons, one with the xbox Ferrari wheel (released on in japan I believe) the entire outrun 2 sp arcade attract mode sprites, ect....

Aside from other Outrun 2006 lumps hidden inside, what about the Original Outrun 2 assets? (Not only the Course assets)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:33:54 pm by Jitterdoomer »
For amusement only.

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:21 pm »
Cool thanks Howard! That DDS format is a pain in the ass. I had to locate a PS plugin for it lol. Hope you haven't given up on these hacks. Though I do understand this is one of your side projects and your a busy dude. I'll try playing with replacing the buttons. I'd settle with the Xbox buttons. What file were they located in on the PC version? Or would I need to get the file from the Xbox disc?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:42 pm »
It's not that simple unfortunately....  The interface buttons are in multiple files.  You'll have to visually inspect them and move things around. 

I started on it for testing purposes....  They are all in the sprite folder....

spr_SPRANI_ETC_CVT_Exst.sz
spr_SPRANI_SELECTOR_CVT_Exst.sz
spr_SPRANI_SUMO_FE_CVT_Exst.sz

Those are the ones I know of, with multiple textures that need replaced in each, but that isn't necessarily all of them.

I haven't given up, I just haven't started.  I got a little carried away before because the info was flowing so well and I was on a roll, but this is in the back of my cache of projects.  I'm currently working on the next (and hopefully final) release of Troubleshooter 2, which is almost complete and then the long-awaited mamehooker update has to go out.  After that I can dedicate my time to this project specifically. 

But atm, real world stuff takes priority so it's a little slow going.  Fake cars are nice, but my very real 92 Camaro needs some tlc and there are only so many months a year when the temp is right to do stuff like painting and priming.  Also the body is kind of in parts atm and the inspection sticker only lasts through May, so I've kind of got to get it back together so I can go down and get it inspected.  ;)

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2013, 12:10:21 am »
Nice thanks! I'll dig into those. Did you use Photoshop to edit yours? That's what I'm using atm and what I'm use to using.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some more around there somewhere. Those keyboard icons just drive me nuts.

Sweet you have very nice taste in cars! Good to hear you haven't forgotten about this project :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2013, 05:34:20 pm »
I used photoshop and a variety of things.  The photoshop plugin doesn't seem to handle transparencies that well.  One trick is to use gimp's "color to alpha" filter to get the alpha back. 

I'm not sure if I have good taste in cars or not.  Even though I really like it, I'm aware of the fact that driving that vintage of Camaro means I should have a mullet and wear a tank top with American Flag workout pants.  But hey, I'm from WV.  ;)

It's over 20 years old, so right now I'm patching and repairing every single rust spot and ding I can find and re-aligning all the ground fx, rear hatch, ect..... Hopefully it'll be ready for paint by the end of summer and I'll post some pics. 

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2013, 09:22:22 pm »
I'll look into Gimp. I've used it in the past. I did however (to see if it would work) tired replacing the three buttons icons and they just showed up blank so I know I did something wrong.

Ha ha! I know what you mean man. Still a nice car though. About every car nowadays look the same.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:56 pm »
You do have the official dx texture viewer don't you? 

You need to first load the texture in that, see what the format is and save everything in the EXACT same format.

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:01 pm »
Nah I don't have that tool. I'm searching for it right now.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2013, 11:18:07 pm »

Just FYI, I've tried doing this long ago when I first got the game. Problem is, vjoy, ppjoy, etc don't allow you to move them to "Device ID #1" in Windows like you assumed. They(at least on my machine) always get pushed down to device 4 or whatever the last device is on the list. Making them "invisible" to OR2006. If you have more than 3 joysticks, whether real or virtual, OutRun will only acknowledge the first three and will ignore the rest. Hence the issue.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give an update regarding the above comment. Yesterday upon doing some exhaustive searching, I was fortunate to find a patch that moves a ppjoy controller to the top of the windows ID list and makes ID#1. This a game changer because it now allows me to use a virtual brake input in Model 2 emulator, whereas before I had no brake at all. The only problem with ppjoy is it doesn't support force feedback. Bummer, but it got me thinking....Howard, can you or Headkaze tell me whether or not vjoy support ffb? This way, I could map all my controllers to vjoy via Frank N Stick and use my wheel as well. Currently I can use my wheel in Model 2 via ppjoy but there is no ffb.

EDIT: Post shows edited by me because I was trying to reply to it and internet explorer crashed.  When it recovered, somehow I was modifying it instead of replying to it.  Sorry for messing with your post.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:17:07 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2013, 09:03:57 am »
This a game changer because it now allows me to use a virtual brake input in Model 2 emulator, whereas before I had no brake at all.

Do your pedals not show up as separate, or does it not allow you to map them at all since it's a separate device?

I seem to recall somewhere that to use multiple devices, you connect the first one and map it, then exit the emulator and disconnect it.
Then connect the second one and map it to the controls you want, then exit the emulator and disconnect it.
Then connect all of them and relaunch the emulator.
I think it might have been RamjetR in the software forum that posted this process, but I can't find it now.

I'm using a separate shifter and had no issues mapping everything at once, but the analog controls might be different.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »
This a game changer because it now allows me to use a virtual brake input in Model 2 emulator, whereas before I had no brake at all.

Do your pedals not show up as separate, or does it not allow you to map them at all since it's a separate device?

I seem to recall somewhere that to use multiple devices, you connect the first one and map it, then exit the emulator and disconnect it.
Then connect the second one and map it to the controls you want, then exit the emulator and disconnect it.
Then connect all of them and relaunch the emulator.
I think it might have been RamjetR in the software forum that posted this process, but I can't find it now.

I'm using a separate shifter and had no issues mapping everything at once, but the analog controls might be different.

OK to clarify, my pedals are a separate USB device and the gas and clutch pedal work in Model 2. The problem is, my brake pedal doesn't work because the designer of the CST pedals labeled it as a "slider", while the gas and clutch are Z and Y axis respectively. Model 2 doesn't acknowledge a slider, so it doesn't see my brake. PPJOY, coupled with a utility called Frank N Stick resolved this issue, by letting me map my brake pedal to a virtual joystick as a Z-axis instead of a slider.

This is one of the reasons I love Frank N Stick so much, because it allows you to assign buttons and analog axis controls from ANY of your multiple USB devices to ANY digital or analog button or axis on your virtual joystick via ppjoy. It's a Godsend for those who have several devices that aren't recognized by games and emus.

Because of this new patch that allows ppjoy to ALWAYS be the 1st controller listed in windows, this should resolve the problem I was having in OutRun 2006 PC, where it would always default to my stick shifter since that used to be ID#1 no matter what. I'm gonna re-install the game and find out. Gonna be a royal nuisance to play the game without ffb after having played so many ffb supported racing games lately, but oh well, Howard's hack will get off the ground eventually :D

By the way, I'm gonna search for that Vjoy thread and ask Headkaze if he has a version that supports force feedback. Might be a good alternative to ppjoy.

toyotasupraman

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »
Perhaps some of our non-English friends can clarify.... is Clarissa's model (not the sprites) uncensored when running the game on a non-English pc?  I've tried changing the language settings, but to no effect.

I've done some quick research on this. On my installed-in-Spanish version, Clarissa's model is only censored on the OutRun2SP arcade version you can access from the main menu. On the rest of the modes she appears (Coast 2 Coast and Heart Attack inside the Single Player menu) she's uncensored.

Also...

The images shown at the end when your rank is displayed would be hard to get via screencapture (I'd have to finish a race with each rank, and my pc really can't handle ps2 emulation).

Do you still need help with that or are those textures inside the PC version?

EDIT: Almost forgot, what's the lastest version of the extractor? I've got the 2.0
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:01:16 pm by toyotasupraman »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:56 pm »
Well this patch that moves ppjoy up to make it Joystick ID#1 is a GODSEND!!! I can finally play OutRun 2006 on PC without all that funky messing around in the controller config menu. The game sees my ppjoy virtual joystick as the first and default controller(Yippeee!), and I have mapped everything the way I want them.

Word of warning however.....if you have an important saved game and your OutRun license contains a crapload of OutRun miles and cars, then DO NOT GO INTO THE CONTROLLER OPTIONS SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot emphasize this enough!! If you do, then the game will screw up your license and remove all your OutRun miles all the cars you've purchased. It will retain your career stats and keep whatever completion percentage you've achieved, but your miles and cars will be GONE!! It also corrupts the name of your License to "Dest", and change your flag to some other flag(Greek or Russian or something). Very very strange.

However, I cannot say for certain but this weird and dangerous bug *COULD* be a result of me having multiple controllers plugged in and maybe that makes the game go crazy with your saved License. Not sure though.

One other thing....upon attempting to start a race in "OutRun mode" the game crashes for me. Not sure what's causing it but perhaps it has something to do with the License corruption issue. I'll keep messing around with it.

Finally, FYI I heard back from Headkaze at his own forum. Says he plans to look at putting in FFB into VJOY but nothing in the immediate future. Perhaps Howard can help him tackle this one day.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:07 pm »
Toyota:  yeah that's how the game normally is.  Technically she isn't censored in the 2k6 modes, but if you notice she puts her arms in front of her chest when the game starts... so they just censored her another way.  ;)

No the ps2 expression sprites aren't in the pc version.  Only the Japanese version of the ps2 game "Outrun 2 SP" (which is actually 2k6 with re-arranged menus) has de-censored sprites aside from the arcade versions.  I pulled a couple out of the game via screenshots, but I think there are something like 5-8 different poses. 

isamu:  Is the patch for 2k6 specifically or for windows in general?  The game hard codes a lot of IDs so it could be as simple as the patch not being complete.  There are two cheat codes for 2k6 that can get you 1,000,000 miles and unlock everything. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2013, 03:17:06 am »

isamu:  Is the patch for 2k6 specifically or for windows in general?

No, the patch is for specifically for PPJOY, and forces Windows to place the Virtual Joystick it creates at the top of the controller list at ID#1. Helped tremendously for several emulators I had problems with like Model 2 and PPSSPP.

There are two cheat codes for 2k6 that can get you 1,000,000 miles and unlock everything.

Good lookin' on the cheat codes but I don't have any issues since I had already made several back ups of my old saved game from way back, which had all of the cars purchased and all of the colors. Still need to work on purchasing all the goals, music, etc, so now I've got a reason to invest time in the game again :lol

I thought I was over this damn game. I just spent a good hour playing it and surprisingly had a blast. That's OutRun 2 for ya....one minute you loathe it for all the issues the home ports have, so you walk away for a while and then a few months later it just drags you back in :lol:

toyotasupraman

« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:27 am »
No the ps2 expression sprites aren't in the pc version.  Only the Japanese version of the ps2 game "Outrun 2 SP" (which is actually 2k6 with re-arranged menus) has de-censored sprites aside from the arcade versions.  I pulled a couple out of the game via screenshots, but I think there are something like 5-8 different poses.

If I somehow manage to get a copy of the PS2 version and make it run in PCSX2, how would you want the screencaps to be taken? Texture filter? Rendered at 2x resolution? MSAA?

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2013, 05:23:41 am »
everything is hidden in this game to the configurator  :-\

these buttons and dropdownlist are invisible in the.

Code: [Select]
LANGUAGE = 0
DX/ADAPTER = 0
DX/WINDOWED = 1
DX/RES/WIDTH = 720
DX/RES/HEIGHT = 576
DX/ANTIALIASING = 2
DX/FOG = 1
DX/GFXNAME = TEXT
DX/REFRESH = 60
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:30:22 am by Nuexzz »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2013, 06:23:03 am »
the hell?

toyotasupraman

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, look what I've got here (taken on PCSX2 with texture filter on):

When I say I could get something , I mean I WILL get it.