Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359164 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:16 pm »
I haven't had any issues either. I'm running the old multi-region dvd version. 

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
Just for the record, I've been playing Outrun 2006 (PC version) quite a bit lately and it has yet to crash on me.  Windows 8 x64 system.

steam or disc version?

I think my copy came from the disc version...  ;)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
Interesting. Oh well who knows what causes crashes for me. I can also mention that there's another bug where let's say you enter your license information and name, etc....well that info seems to get corrupted once you enter the controller config menu for some reason, and basically your save data is useless. Weird.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 09:41:04 pm »
So I hooked up the re-packer.  I still don't know that header format yet, but it does repack an identical file for the ones that extracts, so at least that much is done. 

I tried to change a texture but the game crashed.  That header defiantely has something to do with the file size.  So I padded it with 00's and then re-packed....  the game didn't crash!  Unfortunately I can't find the texture I replaced in the game though.  The textures are really a mess, so I'm going to have to replace something super obvious like the title screen. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:47 pm »
Success! 

I re-packed clarissa's ending textures with a fully transparent texture for her undershirt so it would be obvious.  Sure enough it worked just great!  Too bad her us model has a small hole at the bottom of her chest.  (Women... am I right guys?  ;) ) So I'll probably have to swap out the model as well, but honestly it's hardly noticeable. 

So no hi def textures yet, but at least I can fix the censorship, ditch the keyboard button icons and maybe clean up some of the really sketchy textures...  the "press start" texture is particularly rough and it has to do with a poor alpha channel, not the file size. 

No release of the texture editor tonight, I'll have to clean it up a bit, but it's on the way. 

Boy I'm glad I had the day off today... I got a lot accomplished!

charlieram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:47:01 pm
    • TTA Games
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 01:07:30 am »
I must congratulate you on the work you've done so far. I was always a little underwhelmed with the PC version, mainly because of the lack of FFB. I am really looking forward to digging this out for my old driving cab.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »
Good progress dude!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 01:27:55 pm »
Yeah I feel like I'm getting somewhere finally.  Now maybe I can walk away from it for a while knowing that there is a solution to the problems I wanted fixed.  I refuse to let any mere program get the better of me.  ;)

I've kind of got a homework assignment for you guys.  I know around here it's all about emulation, but some of you guys frequent forums that deal with real hardware, racing sim sites ect... I'm hoping everyone can spread the word and maybe someone out there owning a outrun 2 cab can get us some pics/vids. 

I mentioned earlier that something that really annoyed me was the keyboard icons in 2k6.  It makes you think that you need a keyboard to navigate when in actuality all of these functions are also mapped to the car controls.  The arcade versions of the game don't do this... they have icons representing all the controls when you are in the menu. 

I really need a good screen grab of said controls. 

This is the best I could find thus far and I pulled them off a youtube video and stitched them into this screenshot. 

In addition to this, there is also a yellow start button icon. 

It would be nice if somebody that owns a outrun 2 board could get me a screen grab or two or better yet the arcade attract mode video.  (Which has a how to play portion that shows all the icons) 

Or if somebody wants to fire up their favorite 3d editor and re-create these that'd be cool too. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:33 pm »
I mentioned Andy Geezer in another thread.  It was in the back of my head somewhere that he had done a custom version of a Sega racer with widescreen and custom music.  I was thinking it was a model 3 game, but it's actually Outrun 2.

"Outrun 2 SP Special Edition is a special version of Outrun 2 SP running on a Lindbergh hardware, and features improved feedback steering, high resolution 16:9 graphics and new OST. All improvements done by me to improve what I think is one of the best driving games of all time."

The guy probably knows these Sega machines better than anyone.
You might see if he'll help you out.
http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/default.asp?maincat=-1

Sorry for not remembering this sooner.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:07:16 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2013, 02:12:44 pm »
Yeah I ran into his videos a lot. 

What's nice about the Lindbergh is it's essentially a Linux box, so he might be able to re-direct the video out to a capture card.  That is if he's willing of course. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »
Yeah I ran into his videos a lot. 

What's nice about the Lindbergh is it's essentially a Linux box, so he might be able to re-direct the video out to a capture card.  That is if he's willing of course.

I believe that cabinet has been sold.  I was thinking more along the lines of him having a backup of the work he did and sharing the real image files.
He's been very helpful to the devs of Supermodel, Makaron, & Demul.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »
Not sure if these would be of any use.....
http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/news/200607/107_p1.asp

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
I have Outrun 2 on lindbergh, but I don't have a capture card unfortunately. It does output via HDMI, best I could do is some photos from screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:00 pm »
Yeah that's extremely helpful BadMouth.  It's too bad about the watermark though.... runs all the shots of the gas pedal and most of Clarissa's uncensored expressions would be on there as well. 

*edit* Oops.. nevermind didn't see the last shot.  So yeah, that looks like most of the icons right there.

Boomslang:

I'll get back to you.  Once we are further along I might send you something to use if you are willing. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:55:48 pm by Howard_Casto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2013, 08:14:46 pm »
Well I feel bad asking you guys for that stuff now. 

You know where I mentioned that the game is full of garbage files aren't used?  Well in the ranking archive (which makes no sense btw), I found a sprite sheet that contains The start button icons, the wheel icon and both the gas and brake icons.  I haven't found the VR icon yet, but I'll keep looking.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:37 pm »
Man this game has some odd stuff in it.  Since I've found hidden gems already I went ahead and extracted the entire sprites folder.  The Outrun 2 special tours arcade title screen is in there... it's done via sprites instead of a video like 2k6's is.  Also more xbox garbage.  I also found bits of the Japanese select screens from outrun 2 mode (looks like special tours arcade).  They use the icons I've been searching for.  Afaict, the game actually uses these backgrounds, but use a bit of an image to cover up the icon portion of the screen so that they can use the cruddy keyboard icons instead.  So If I adjust the transparency I might be able to get the icons back automatically. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:30 am »
Ok I wanted to do a test before releasing the new extractor packer, so I made up new buttons for the menus (still low res, but better than before). 

Check it out:

This pagkage is far from complete.  The arcade game didn't have a horn button, so for now I've just put the old outrun wheel badge in there and to be honest it looks awful.  The shifter Image I'm currently using doesn't have an arrow indicating that you need to down shift to go back.  There is an image that has this, but it has the whole dash attached, so I'll have to cut it out.  Also the game uses a different "tab" image for each menu, so the gas pedal hasn't been replaced yet. 

Keeping all of that in mind, here is the patch:

Back up your spr_SPRANI_ETC_CVT_Exst.sz file and extract this in your sprite folder.  Sorry foreign friends, but I only did the English version (the "E" in exst stands for English)  If you want to do another country you'll have to wait until tomorrow when I release the packer. 

One thing that I noticed was that these ridiculously small textures, like the ones used for the buttons, have really bad compression on them (dtx5, which is virtually no compression)  So even if we don't figure out the header, I can probably at least double the size of most textures and just use better compression to keep the file size down.  That is if the game allows larger textures of course. 

toyotasupraman

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:58 am »
Hello there, I found this thread after it was linked in the Supermodel forum and all I can say is

DAMN YOU'RE GOOD!

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »
appreciate the patch for Spanish mode. and I can investigate something from here  :applaud:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:53 pm »
Yeah here's the new app.  You can repack now, barring some limitations and I've added a file padder as well.  Honestly though dds files are pretty rigid in their file sizes, so if you save with the exact same texture format, it should result in the same file size. 

Nuexzz:  If you unpack the file I've posted it'll have the updated texture (I think it's #11?)  Just put that in any of the foreign language packs to add the new icons.  I haven't done it yet because as I said, the new texture isn't complete so I didn't want to have to repeat my work. 

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:36 am »
thanks, bin files that type of information do you have?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2013, 02:45:23 am »
The bin files are unknown at this point.  I've gleemed a bit of data out of them, like the total file size is towards the top but other than that no. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2013, 03:01:03 am »
I wanted to finish troubleshooter but realized I wouldn't have enough time this weekend so I'll keep on this a bit longer.

Ok more icon progress.

As you can see I modified that down-shift icon I was talking about.  It's much more obvious now what you are supposed to do to go back.  You can also see some of the issues I've yet to resolve.  While the classic Outrun 2 menu has high contrast that looks good with the arcade icons, the 2k6 menus do not.  I"ll probably dim that grid pattern that they sit in to make them stand out a little.  Of course somebody (not me) could just re-skin the 2k6 menus to make them look more like the Outrun 2 menus.  I'm just sayin'  (hint hint). 

Then there's that ugly horn button.  The was honestly the best pic I could find and it's from the classic outrun cab, not Outrun 2.  It also looks out of place because it's the only icon not at an angle.  It'd be nice if I had a good, clean pic of the badge and the ring around it that I could manipulate.  Other than that, the icon replacement is pretty well complete.  I just need to go on a snipe hunt to find the 2 dozen or so tab keys hidden in the sprites and replace them with the gas pedal.  There are a bunch of enter keys hidden as well, which I don't get because they are usually for the "press enter to continue" menus after you finish a race and enter icons are already loaded for the pause menu when playing the game..... sheesh. 

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:49 am »
Are you going to enable the "Best Outrunners" screen where you have to enter your 4 digit letters in the scoreboard and even the "How to play" segment like the arcade? Any remnants of these screen are in the sprites folder? You should start a new wiki page at tcrf.net so you could post anything for beloved Sega Racers about the unused stuff like me! :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:42:14 am by Jitterdoomer »
For amusement only.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2013, 04:35:28 am »
Nearly all of the "how to play" overlays from the Japanese version of the arcade game are in there.  That's where I got the images for the new icons.  Unfortunately the scripts that control the animations are missing.  Now the attract mode of 2k6 is just a video file, so if somebody records the attract sequence, I can put it in. 

As for the "best outrunners" sequence, probably not.  The game automatically uses your license name for the ranks and because there are so many ranks (Both 2k6, OR2  and OR2SP, with standard mode, reverse course mode, heart attack, time trial ect....ect...ec..) the programmers decided to use a dedicated menu for the ranks.  It would be a project in itself to find all the ranks in memory and shomehow render them at the proper time. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2013, 07:24:26 am »
Ever scouring the net for Outrun 2 data to use in the hack I ran across this article about the making of Outrun 2

http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-outrun-2/

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2013, 09:40:01 am »
Any idea if the stuff on the Lindberg disc would be in a useful format?

There was also the xbox360 and psn online arcade version that was pulled after they lost the Ferrari License.
Someone might be able to get high def video of those.

Don't let this thing turn into so big of a project that it can't be completed.  ;)
(sounds like you're enjoying it though)

EDIT: Some clear screenshots of the controls and Clarissa if they are of any use at this point http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20060707/sega.htm
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:45:19 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »
It might be, I'm not sure.  I've got the 360, Japanese ps2 and xbox versions sitting here.  The only one that seems to have even partially compatible textures is the xbox version.  The 360 is using some sort of new xbox-based texture and the ps2... well I don't know anything about sony files.  Every thing is packed into about 10 files with a .PS2 extension.  Oddly enough though, the shaders from the 360 version work right off the bat.  I just threw them in a folder to get the sun and other effects back. 

Eh I better work on it now while I still have the motivation to do it.  I was all gung-ho about TS2 for months, and now that it's out and working... well I dread diving back in to do that final release. 

Yeah that pic will help, thanks.  My only other source for shots of the girl are the ps2 version, and the graphics have been severely degraded on the port.  Something that seems interesting on the Lindbergh version... the reason it LOOKS to be a higher resolution is due to the fact that they shrunk all the graphics down.  She's twice as big on the pc version, for example. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 02:19:43 am »
Ok one last push to get some graphics re-worked before Easter tomorrow. 

I started working with the Japanese ps2 version via a texture ripper.  The ripper was deemed useless (at least for me) because it only seems to pull what is on the screen currently instead of the textures loaded in memory.  That doesn't stop me from using screenshots though. 

So here is the first result:

I had to use photoshop to patch it in, but that works just fine because as I mentioned originally, her US sprites are a bad photoshop job and aren't rendered from scratch but rather manipulated.  This is apparent by the fact that overlaying the sprites makes a pixel-perfect match except for the censored region.  The PS2 textures, unfortunately have a rather low palette, but I found that the despeckle tool   in photoshop cleans that up just nicely.  I can do the menus with this method, but I'm really hoping that somebody can rip ps2 textures for me. 

The images shown at the end when your rank is displayed would be hard to get via screencapture (I'd have to finish a race with each rank, and my pc really can't handle ps2 emulation). 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 02:59:28 am »
Found a couple of bugs in the extractor, so I'll fix those and release it tonight.  Also I understand the DDS format a little better now, so extraction is a little more accurate... no more corrupted dds files. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »
Sorry I didn't get a chance to pack up the extractor, I'll do so later this week. 

Happy Easter to those that celebrate it!

I wanted to give a little report on the things I found last night. 

I found some of the ps2/psp textures hiding around in the archives.  Like I said, the pc version has everything in it.  ;)

Also you know the features mentioned in that article I linked to the other day?  Like allowing the girls to drive and having a mode where you could get dumped ect?  Well all the unfinished assets are in the game. 

There's an unused driver's license screen where you can select all the girls, the guy and two variants of the guy.  There are also models for all of these characters as well.  It might be possible to hack in the ability to choose other characters as the driver.    There are also some unused textures from the mode including a giant "you've been dumped" banner. 

Lots of interesting stuff. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2013, 07:21:16 am »
Ok guys, I could really use some help at this point. 

I started looking into the "xtx" files (aka .xbx, aka .xm, ect ect)  that are in all the archives.  I thought they were exclusively texture files, but it turns out they can be a lot of things.  Anything with the "XPR0" header is apparently a generic container for the original xbox.  It can contain any combination of textures, meshes and ect.  I've found very little in terms of viewers/ tools for this file extension.  Judging from the little data I could find, the xtx files in the archives in this case represent a skinned mesh.  The DDS files I'm manually pulling out are most likely the texture portion.  The files often contain the position, dimension and file size information for textures as well, meaning if I can find something to parse the stupid things we can most likely use hi-def textures, which was the original intention. 

Here is a short blurb about the various xbox file formats, note that with the exception of the disc image files they ALL apparently have the XPR0 extension. 

http://home.comcast.net/~admiral_powerslave/filestructure.html

I'm currently scouring the xbox scene website trying to find something to open these with but thus far everything reads them as invalid. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:44 am »
You might try contacting some of the Cxbx authors or digging through their blogs, Blueshogun in particular.
http://shogun3d-cxbx.blogspot.com/2013/03/virtua-cop-3.html

The original idea of the project was not to emulate, but to to convert xbox games into pc games.
I would assume they'd have to figure out all the file types to do that.  :)

I haven't checked the blog or forum in a long time, so I'm not sure what it's evolved into.
I didn't think anything was happening with it and was surprised to see new posts.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:48 am »
Seems he's worked with Outrun2  :)
http://shogun3d-cxbx.blogspot.com/search/label/Outrun2

EDIT: updated link to show both Outrun2 posts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:25:18 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
I've contacted him via his blog, so we'll see.  The fact that he's currently work on Chihiro stuff (arcade version of xbox) and this game is essentially a Chihiro port might lead to some useful data for both parties. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
LOL  Those guys... they got me...

http://www.eeggs.com/items/52583.html

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »
Seems he's worked with Outrun2  :)
http://shogun3d-cxbx.blogspot.com/search/label/Outrun2

EDIT: updated link to show both Outrun2 posts.

Interesting :)

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
Wow man this is very very impressive! I never knew Clarissa was censored wtf?  I really like the new button replacements. I always hated those keyboard buttons. Is there any way to add force feed back? I can't believe Sega didn't include it in this port.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2013, 12:35:07 am »
Wow man this is very very impressive! I never knew Clarissa was censored wtf?  I really like the new button replacements. I always hated those keyboard buttons. Is there any way to add force feed back? I can't believe Sega didn't include it in this port.

LOL  You might want to read the entire thread.  ;)

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
I did I must have missed something lol. Still thanks for working on hacks for this awesome game though!!