Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359277 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #920 on: October 28, 2016, 12:28:07 pm »
The thing about 2k6 is it can handle multiple devices being plugged in at the same time, it just can't handle configuring the controls.  So plug in the device you will be using for the view and menu buttons and set it up.  Then plug in the other stuff and use the overrides for them.  I keep working on that aspect as issues arise. 

As you can see from some of the videos I've been posting, I'm working on a new hud.  That one is just going to take some time. 

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #921 on: October 29, 2016, 04:56:31 am »

Anyway, I think what I've found in 2k6 is implemented enough to use, so a release will come soon.

Sounds exciting Howard. Howard.... if it's not too much trouble, can you please see what you can do about fixing the device ID selection option in the Force Feedback section of the FXT Config GUI? As mentioned in the other thread a while ago, I can't select anything other than ID#1 or else FXT crashes upon starting the game. All I want is to be able to tell FXT to re-route the DInput FFB signals to the second device(ID#2) without it crashing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #922 on: October 29, 2016, 01:29:38 pm »
I looked and everything is setup properly.  Your issue might not be on my end. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #923 on: October 30, 2016, 01:38:03 am »
2.3 has been released! 

Go to the FXT thread for more details via the link below:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147131.0.html

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #924 on: October 30, 2016, 03:25:16 am »
isamu:  Good (err really bad I guess) news.  I managed to replicate the crash you were getting on my racing rig.  I will have to transfer all my project files over to the machine next week, but at least it means I can try to figure it out.  It seems to be hanging on something stupid. 

In the meantime the workaround is quite easy.  Go into devices and printers.  Unplug all of your gamepads.  Plug in your wheel last.  If it's the last item listed in that section then you have done it correctly.  Right click on the wheel and go to the game controller settings.  If your wheel is at the top of the list you are golden and the wheel will now show up as device #1.  It should stay that way unless you plug/unplug devices from your pc. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #925 on: October 30, 2016, 04:19:02 am »
isamu:  Good (err really bad I guess) news.  I managed to replicate the crash you were getting on my racing rig.  I will have to transfer all my project files over to the machine next week, but at least it means I can try to figure it out.  It seems to be hanging on something stupid. 

In the meantime the workaround is quite easy.  Go into devices and printers.  Unplug all of your gamepads.  Plug in your wheel last.  If it's the last item listed in that section then you have done it correctly.  Right click on the wheel and go to the game controller settings.  If your wheel is at the top of the list you are golden and the wheel will now show up as device #1.  It should stay that way unless you plug/unplug devices from your pc.

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your help man. But unfortunately that solution you suggest doesn't work in Windows 7 x64bit. Tried it a million times already :(

Happy to hear you've discovered it on your end, and will be looking into it next week.  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #926 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:02 pm »
Are you plugging it into the pc directly or a hub?  It's a little known fact that windoze handles hubs differently.... usually they are enumerated based on the order of detection. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #927 on: October 31, 2016, 12:46:03 am »
Are you plugging it into the pc directly or a hub?  It's a little known fact that windoze handles hubs differently.... usually they are enumerated based on the order of detection.

Directly into the PC. Trust  me this wheel demands a direct connection. This trick was "patched" by M$ a long while back. It's a known thing, something related to the OEM ID's of the devices being hardcoded into registry or some such non-sense.

It's cool though I'll just wait til ya get to it next week, don't trip  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:48:25 am by isamu »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #928 on: October 31, 2016, 02:05:20 am »
Howard....disregard! You can fix the device ID bug if you want but it's no longer a high priority bro.

I just discovered that the FFB effects in FXT doesn't behave properly with my Bodnar wheel. I was playing it with just my wheel plugged in, and FXT was getting was delivering the "OR2Wheel.ffe" effects continuously to my wheel without stopping. No break in the action due to whatever the car was doing, just continuous FFB effect at all times no matter what.  But, there is a solution so it no longer matters. See this thread :

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=152139.new#new

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #929 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:18 am »
That solution aside, I did fix some issues. 

You might want to try the attached app as it fixes some joystick issues.  I still have a bit more error handling to write, but that aside it should increase compatibility.  What was happening was the wrapper was losing it's connection and due to a typo, when it automatically re-connects it was connecting to the wrong joystick.  That would explain hanging effects as well. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #930 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:27 am »
Howard I'm using the hack now with the "Virtual G27" solution and it's working very well so far, except one tiny thing. The spring effect is working good but how can I dial down the rumble while turning the wheel? Love the spring but not really a fan of it rumbling every time I turn left or right. Seems the stronger the spring setting, the harsher the rumble is. Is there a setting somewhere in the ini to eliminate this? I'd prefer to have it rumble with everything else but not when turning.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #931 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:57 pm »
It doesn't rumble every time you turn left or right.  It must be something with your setup man.  You only get rumble if you hit something or run off the road.  There is also a very fine shift pop effect. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #932 on: November 01, 2016, 11:38:37 pm »
It doesn't rumble every time you turn left or right.  It must be something with your setup man.  You only get rumble if you hit something or run off the road.  There is also a very fine shift pop effect.

OK thanks I'll check my settings. I think it's probably my spring settings. I notice that the global spring setting strength kicks in from the start of the game, and then whatever value that's in the Spring setting in the ini file kicks in once you get on the track, so I thought that was interesting. Do you have FXT setup to *disable* the "Global Default Center Spring" option from the Logitech Gaming Profiler software? I only ask because some games actually do this.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #933 on: November 02, 2016, 12:11:59 am »
I don't even use the global spring.  If you open the effect file in fedit you'll see that it's three effects.... high frequency rumble, low frequency rumble and spring.  I do it that way because I originally crafted the various effect variables for a 360 gamepad, so the two different rumbles make it an easy transition.  You can adjust that spring to your liking via editing the file, or using some tweak scripting at the bottom of your ff.ini

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #934 on: November 05, 2016, 04:44:08 am »
I have a distinct memory of seeing car stats somewhere in Outrun 2/2006/SP, but can't seem to find them anymore. I'm only playing SP mode now, and at 480i, but does anyone know where the stats are?

Might be something to add, if they exist in some form but aren't shown in FXT?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #935 on: November 05, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »
Stats are only shown in 2k6 mode. 

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #936 on: November 06, 2016, 02:06:41 am »
Stats are only shown in 2k6 mode.

Are they relevant to SP mode and just not shown? Or are all the cars identical? If they are different, is it possible to show them somehow? If you have any desire to do that, of course - it's your mod :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #937 on: November 20, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
Well I started on the images for the rest of the cars.  2 down, 12 to go.... ugh. 

In regards to the stats, I honestly don't know.  I know that for me at least, the data doesn't really give me any indication to how the car will handle or the practical top speed. 

braders1986

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2016, 03:18:29 pm
« Reply #938 on: November 21, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
Hey lads. I'm looking for some help with replacing a few songs.
I've got the tracks normalized and all working in the game perfectly, but I'm looking for help getting the new track names to show in-game, along with replacing the album cover preview textures.

I didn't care for a few of the tracks in the 'Remixed' playlist so I've gone for a few Sega racing classics.

Let's Go Away ( Daytona USA ) >> Rush a difficulty ARRANGED
Rolling Start ( Daytona USA ) >> Keep your Heart ARRANGED 
Pounding Pavement ( Daytona USA ) >> Shiny World PROTOTYPE
Conditioned Reflex ( Sega Rally Champ 95 - New Century Arrange ) >> Night Flight PROTOTYPE
Grooving Daylight ( Scud Race ) >> Life was a Bore INSTRUMENTAL
Main Theme ( Hang-On - Sketchy_Sounds Remix ) >> Night Flight INSTRUMENTAL

If anyone wants to try these tracks out, just dump them in the sound folder :)

https://www.mediafire.com/?mnxaxf22rnffe1o

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #939 on: November 21, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »
How to add alternate songs is explained in the readme file.  You can't change the album textures.... well at least not easily. 

braders1986

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2016, 03:18:29 pm
« Reply #940 on: November 21, 2016, 02:44:25 pm »
How to add alternate songs is explained in the readme file.  You can't change the album textures.... well at least not easily.

Thanks.
Unfortunately I'm not using your awesome mod at the moment. I can't get past a D3D error as soon as the game starts. All my drivers and what not are updated. The older versions worked on my old computer though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #941 on: November 26, 2016, 01:28:12 am »
The new version will probably fix that, so stay tuned. 

So I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.  I seriously think I got a mild case of food poisoning.  Slept 16 hours yesterday and I still feel like crap, but your body just can't sleep after sleeping that much.  So I looked at the memory locations a bit more hoping to find a better solution than the pictures I'm using for the bonus cars, but so far no dice.  I also thought it might be simpler to just rip the cars via a Dx ripper and render them myself, but the game engine seems to be rendering them in an odd way and it would take a considerable amount of cleanup to make them useable. 

So ugh....

I guess I'll get back to those extra images when I feel better. 

Then it's just the lan stuff to work on.  I'm thinking of just making my own menu on top of the lan menu to make it more like the arcade, but that will take considerable effort.  I'm not sure if I have much more gas in the tank in regards to this project.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #942 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »
Hope you feel better Howard. What are you trying to accomplish as far as LAN?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #943 on: November 26, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »
Well the in-game lan menu is kind small in terms of text, has the 2k6 menu style as opposed to the arcade and is hard to navigate with the wheel.  Ideally I would like to make it behave like the 2sp menus.   I would also like to integrate some vpn usage as that's likely the only way to restore online play. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #944 on: November 26, 2016, 04:35:30 pm »
Cool.

pintricks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2017, 11:13:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #945 on: November 29, 2016, 04:38:15 am »
Ideally I would like to make it behave like the 2sp menus.

Looking forward to that. Would be great to have it run on startup of my 2-player cabinet instead of the aged Daytona USA.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #946 on: November 30, 2016, 10:40:25 pm »
Well I'm working on another release.  This one will just fix bugs and add all the bonus cars to 2sp mode.  I'm doing the graphics one car at a time and I think I'm about halfway done. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #947 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
I'm still working on bonus car images, a little at a time.  I hope to have them finished before xmas for the final release of the year. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #948 on: December 11, 2016, 12:31:08 am »
I got all of the images done, but some of them are quite ugly.  I'll try to clean them up, but if nothing else this will make it possible for me to release a version with all the bonus cars available soon. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #949 on: December 12, 2016, 02:11:25 am »
So I was messing with the color select today.  Apparently the textures for the base color in the cars' packages aren't used and a global set of textures are used instead.  Long story short you can set any color on any car.  So if you want to race with that odd green color it'll work.  I'll add this to the new code tomorrow.  I've got to figure out how to do color select on the official cars though. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #950 on: December 13, 2016, 01:43:36 pm »
More slow but steady progress.  I'm not going to make an image of every color in every color... sorry it's not happening, but I did go ahead and fix the color select of the bonus cars. 

Now there is a color swatch on the screen indicating that car's color.  When you navigate the bonus cars, the swatch will automatically be set to the default color of that car.  So no more having to select the color manually. 

I'm pretty close to a release, I just need to bug test and make things a bit more pretty.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #951 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:58 pm »
Good stuff, as always :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #952 on: December 14, 2016, 01:53:54 pm »
Hmm. 

I'm kind of stuck atm.  From the last release it should be apparent that the bonus car images weren't looking all that great unless you ran the game at 1080p.  That is because these images were loaded externally, so I wasn't using the post-processing effects to scale the images like I do with the arcade menus.  Well I managed to hook up the post processing and it takes waaaaay too long.  Like a couple of MINUTES too long. 

So I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  I could load and process the images one at a time, which would make the menu sluggish, or I could leave it up to the user to rescale them...which means people that aren't proficient in image editors are going to be left out in the cold.

I'm open to suggestions. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #953 on: December 14, 2016, 10:05:35 pm »
Ignoring the scaling issue for now, I went about cleaning up the menu a bit.  I put the color swatch next to the text about the horn being the color change in my arcade menus.  I also made a button overlay to cover up the right most button when you are selecting through the bonus cars.  It would be nice if I could also mute the announcer saying the wrong car, but that might be over-reaching.  I intend on getting the new images cleaned up by the end of the week.  I also want to make a "bonus button" for the songs when selecting bonus songs. 

It might also be nice to be able to turn off the bonus cars/songs for purists.

Eventually I want to hd-ify all the menus as well.  The only thing stopping me from doing is are some minor artifacts that leave a magenta edge around scaled images with transparency.  I'm working on ways to combat that though. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #954 on: December 14, 2016, 10:55:34 pm »
You da man as always Howard. Hey just curious did you ever consider adding regular rumble back into the game?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #955 on: December 15, 2016, 01:52:40 am »
I'm not sure what you mean.  Xinput is rumble and if you want rumble on a gamepad that isn't a 360 gamepad it should work fine with the xinput simulators out there. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #956 on: December 15, 2016, 02:58:26 am »
Here are some preview pics.  Note that I have taken these at 1080p to avoid the scaling issues I mentioned earlier.  In addition the images are slightly compressed to avoid killing the site. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #957 on: December 15, 2016, 08:58:09 am »
I'm not sure what you mean.  Xinput is rumble and if you want rumble on a gamepad that isn't a 360 gamepad it should work fine with the xinput simulators out there.

What I mean is even with xinput rumble enabled under fxt config. I get no rumble effect in game whatsoever. Meaning the rumble motors inside an xbox 360 controller don't kick on at all. It was my understanding that the PC version lacked the rumble effects of the Xbox and PS2 versions and they would likely have to be programmed back in. Maybe I'm missing something?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Online Online
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #958 on: December 15, 2016, 12:51:37 pm »
Yes you definitely are.  Xinput was the first rumble that I added... that was waaaaaaaay back in the alpha stage.  You are the first person so far to have any issues with it.  Understand that if you are using a 360 gamepad with third party drivers it will NOT work.  Xinput is a software interface.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #959 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:46 pm »
As far as I know I am running the Official Microsoft driver. I have rumble in many other games and never knew you already added that in. I don't know I guess I'll have to delve deeper or something.

Thanks