Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Hacking Outrun 2006

<< < (2/239) > >>

vandale:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on March 06, 2013, 06:27:56 pm ---This is one of those side projects that I want to play around with when I'm bored with my main projects. 
The goal is to hack at least rudimentary force feedback support into the pc version of outrun 2006. 
If possible I'd also like to transplant the high res graphics of the lindberg arcade version into the pc version.

Right now I'm trying to narrow down the memory addresses so it isn't such a snipe hunt.  Would any of you guys have this trainer?

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5031924&sid=d70f829c5263000e04ba765aa946076f 

Upon clicking the link it takes me to some shady download site that wants me to install a download manager.  That's not happening.  But if it's available elsewhere it would speed things up dramatically.

--- End quote ---

Suggest you virus scan this as I havent used it
http://www.2shared.com/file/cwLV8xT-/OR2006C2C_FY_P.html

Thanks

isamu:

--- Quote from: Well Fed Games on March 07, 2013, 12:40:32 am ---As someone frustrated by the PC port I will be watching this intently...

--- End quote ---

As will I.  Howard is aware that there are many people that would come back to this version if it had ffb.

However, tread carefully Howard, as this is one of the buggiest PC ports of any racing game I've played. So much to the point that me quitting had more to do with the frequency it crashing and the horrific controller input support, than the lack of ffb support.

The main culprit, and one that I personally feels needs your attention, is the severely limped and buggy controller config user interface. The game has a terrible tendency to think you're pressing left all the time and the player is forced to identify what's causing this "phantom key press" nearly every time you start the game. Probably has something to do with users such as myself having multiple USB game devices connected to our PCs, which brings me to my other point....

Anyone in this situation(having multiple usb controllers plugged in) is pretty much screwed if they want to play OutRun 2006. The game only allows you map *one* controller at a time to the driving functions, despite it seemingly acknowledging there is more than one plugged in. You can map steering axis to left and right with your wheel, but if you use a separate set of USB pedals(which many PC racers do) they will be useless on the track. Once you move the slider over to "controller 2" it will let you map gas and brake axis to your pedals, but now your wheel becomes null and void. Ditto with your USB stick shifter assigned to "controller 3".

This issue is FAR more crippling, annoying and inconvenient than the lack of force feedback. The announcement of no FFB was something that caused me to slip into a deep depression back when the game first came out and I remember being absolutely heart broken when SOL mentioned it on the Gamefaqs forums. But...I simply could not prepare for what I was in store for, with all the glitches and the horrible controller input support this port has. These problems just crippled any enthusiasm I had for playing OR2006 on PC. Did I manage to eventually play it? Yes, but only by temporarily borrowing my buddy's xbox 360 controller.

Howard....the promise of getting FFB into this game from the work you and Ramjet are doing is something only the heavens could bestow upon us....but if you guys can possibly find a way to modify it so that it can see multiple USB controllers as *ONE* USB device and allow us to map them accordingly, then that will mean I can finally play the game properly with my ECCI 7000 wheel, and there will simply be no words to describe the amount of gratitude I'll have for you. It will be the most incredible racing game related gift I've ever received. Other than FFB support in Namco System 22 RR games via MAME of course :D :D :D

Howard_Casto:
This is much less of a problem than you might think.  Outrun typically defaults to the first controller on you rig.  That's fine... instead of trying to wrangle all of your usb devices into working it's much simplier to put a fake joystick as the primary joystick on your system (vjoy ppjoy ect) and then use a app or scripting to take your individual controls and map them onto this singular, fake controller. 

Just for the record, I'm not promising ANYTHING.  This might be a dead end.  I managed to find the gear shift position last night... does that count?

Howard_Casto:

--- Quote from: vandale on March 07, 2013, 04:41:07 am ---
--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on March 06, 2013, 06:27:56 pm ---This is one of those side projects that I want to play around with when I'm bored with my main projects. 
The goal is to hack at least rudimentary force feedback support into the pc version of outrun 2006. 
If possible I'd also like to transplant the high res graphics of the lindberg arcade version into the pc version.

Right now I'm trying to narrow down the memory addresses so it isn't such a snipe hunt.  Would any of you guys have this trainer?

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5031924&sid=d70f829c5263000e04ba765aa946076f 

Upon clicking the link it takes me to some shady download site that wants me to install a download manager.  That's not happening.  But if it's available elsewhere it would speed things up dramatically.

--- End quote ---

Suggest you virus scan this as I havent used it
http://www.2shared.com/file/cwLV8xT-/OR2006C2C_FY_P.html

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Ehh my virus scanner doesn't like it apparently.  That's not unusual for trainers, but considering how sketchy the download site was to begin with, I dunno.  However, I can read the file in a hex editor and probably pull the values out that way, so thanks. 

isamu:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on March 07, 2013, 04:03:53 pm ---it's much simplier to put a fake joystick as the primary joystick on your system (vjoy ppjoy ect) and then use a app or scripting to take your individual controls and map them onto this singular, fake controller.
--- End quote ---

Just FYI, I've tried doing this long ago when I first got the game. Problem is, vjoy, ppjoy, etc don't allow you to move them to "Device ID #1" in Windows like you assumed. They(at least on my machine) always get pushed down to device 4 or whatever the last device is on the list. Making them "invisible" to OR2006. If you have more than 3 joysticks, whether real or virtual, OutRun will only acknowledge the first three and will ignore the rest. Hence the issue.

Besides, I don't like using those virtual joystick programs all that much, as they tend to screw around with my controller functions in some other games.

--- Quote --- I managed to find the gear shift position last night... does that count?

--- End quote ---

A little  ;D

Hey man it's a start. Don't worry not gonna throw a tantrum if ya get nowhere, but I appreciate you and Ramjet at least giving it a try.  :cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version