Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359152 times)

lolomc2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2016, 08:42:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #400 on: April 18, 2014, 03:05:26 am »
Howard, first post here to say thank you for this work. I have been searching for a way to get ffb on my Logitech G25 weel... Without success (I even tried OutRun 2 japonese version which, according to SOL, should have ffb enabled... It does not work, I confirm)
I can't wait to try it. I'll post a link to my arcade machine ;) Do you think it will work on my French version of the game ?

1.  I absolutely suck at OR2 with pedals and need to practice more.
  :laugh2:

Rgs,

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #401 on: April 18, 2014, 03:34:42 am »
Afaik there is only one version of 2k6 on the pc, it's packaged differently but other than that it's just a single, multi-language dvd.  Maybe when S0L is back in a couple of weeks he can confirm that one for us. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #402 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:54 am »
Outrun 2 SP on ps2 Japanese version has ffb.

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #403 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:13 pm »
Outrun 2 SP on ps2 Japanese version has ffb.

Boomslang, are you talking about "OutRun2 SP Special Tours" japonese ?
If yes, as I tried it and it did not work, and as I do not read/speak japonese, could you please give a proof of that ? Picture of the menu selection for exemple ?

EDIT : I found another French guy on gamoover forum who said exactly the same thing : It should have ffb but was not able to get it with Logitech wheel. It makes me really think that OR2 SP Special Tours does not have force feedback, whatever popular belief   :blah:
Anyway, it do not change anything about your heroic work Howard !!!  :notworthy:

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:17:53 pm by lolomc2 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #404 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:09 pm »
Ok I think I've finally got the input overrides and force-feedback playing nice together.  It's impossible for me to check every configuration, but I hooked up a 360 controller and the wheel... the wheel was shaking, the gamepad was rumbling and I had the 6 speed gearshift mapped to the gamepad and the view buttons mapped to the wheel and everything seemed to work. 

Stuff is still kind of kludged in atm though.  I figure it'll take the rest of the weekend to get things in a state that you guys can actually use. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2014, 04:19:35 am »
If im understanding you correctly, you are adding directinput (PC wheel) support? If so, thats awesome. I cant wait to try it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2014, 04:23:08 am »
Yeah man... you should maybe go one page back and look at the demo vid.  ;)

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2014, 04:38:17 am »
sorry i missed the vid, that's excellent. I cant wait to try it and I cant wait to have a new reason to hate the "Milky Way Stage". I have never made it through that stage without touching the walls a few times.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2014, 04:39:42 am »
In my comments that's what I was referring too.  Hitting those barriers about ripped my arm off.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2014, 07:35:28 pm »
Well I was going to try to release the force-feedback version tomorrow night as a Easter/Spring/whatever present, but life had other plans.

I spent all day getting the lawn mower working enough to cut the grass and I do mean all day.  A tire had went completely flat to the point of where it fell off the rim before I even managed to get the thing out of the shed... so I had to take the whole wheel apart to re-seat it.  Then of course the battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge and to top it all off, my new mulching plug got caught on a small clump of grass and made the deck lock up and throw a belt. 

*sigh*  White people problems. 

So next week sometime maybe?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #410 on: April 20, 2014, 05:23:17 am »
Well I'm on Ham duty this morning, so I went ahead and hooked up the force-feedback stuff to a ini file.  Everything seems to be working normally.

Of course I need to add in some more effects... I've only got the rumble effects hooked up... newer ff-only effects like the xforce, decel force, ect will come later. 

I wanted to bind the x-force to the center spring, but it's breaking the effect when I try to change the offset... I'll have to look into that. 

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2014, 07:01:28 pm »
So next week sometime maybe?

Arfff.... My cab can't wait to try it !!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #412 on: April 21, 2014, 12:17:57 am »
Nice cab man... where in the world did you find a 16:9 crt?

Anyway I'm variable hunting again (joy) and I found two variables that tell me when the 2k6 loading screen and 2sp loading screen are shown respectively.  Why should you care?  Two reasons.

I already had the menus pretty well mapped out... I could tell when you are at the title screen, at the main menu, ect.  I could also tell when you were playing the game and if you paused the game.  What was missing was the loading screens, where several of these values are reset and I can't tell where the hell you are.  So first off I can now ensure where you are in the game, meaning things like the control overrides and such are now far less buggy.  I can also stop the force-feedback when you enter the loading screens, meaning that "stuck" effects will no longer remain in motion when you exit a game. 

Secondly bg music is only supposed to be played in game.  Now that I always know when you are in game I can override the in game sound-track... it's the first step for Outrun Radio!

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2014, 05:23:02 am »
Nice cab man... where in the world did you find a 16:9 crt?

Sony KV-32 series.. I found you one in  Lilles (North of France) for 20 euro  :lol
But honestly, this is not the best choice I made when I have designed the cab. Distance between the wheel and the screen is fine for 4/3 games but not for 16/9 games. The screen is too closed. I already modified the cab to push the screen 15 cm in the back but it should be, at least 40 cm...

Anyway, while you speak about CRT, I read in the post that you want to add HD textures to the game... CRT resolution is limited to 640x480, so I am sure (or at least, I hope !!!) you plan to make it optional. Yes ?

Anyway I'm variable hunting again (joy) and I found two variables that tell me when the 2k6 loading screen and 2sp loading screen are shown respectively.  Why should you care?  Two reasons.

I already had the menus pretty well mapped out... I could tell when you are at the title screen, at the main menu, ect.  I could also tell when you were playing the game and if you paused the game.  What was missing was the loading screens, where several of these values are reset and I can't tell where the hell you are.  So first off I can now ensure where you are in the game, meaning things like the control overrides and such are now far less buggy.  I can also stop the force-feedback when you enter the loading screens, meaning that "stuck" effects will no longer remain in motion when you exit a game. 

Secondly bg music is only supposed to be played in game.  Now that I always know when you are in game I can override the in game sound-track... it's the first step for Outrun Radio!
Oh man, I can't wait release an alpha !!!  :banghead:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »
Oh I didn't want one... seems like all that weight would be a lot of hassle, but I was just surprised such a thing existed. 

I wouldn't be holding my breath on the HD graphics..... I'll have to go over the sprani format and write a tool as well as alter the sz containers.  Regardless it would look just as good on a 640x480 screen.... I'll just be taking the textures in the menus and HUD and remastering them in hd.... they won't be altered in any way if I can help it.  Everything in the game holds up really well, but the hud looks terrible due to the lack of blending applied to it.  I tried to maybe fix that with sweetFX, but I can't figure out how to only filter the 2d graphics.  (Or if that's even possible.)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #415 on: April 21, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »
So I'm going to probably go ahead and release a graphics pack along with this next version... so you don't have to muddle through the thread and piece together stuff. 

I went ahead and fixed an error that's been there for quite some time.  In the last pack the gear shift icon pointed down, but everybody knows that on a real car (and in the default Outrun 2 config) you move the shifter forwards to actually shift down.  So I did a test in one of the numerous sub-menus I have to convert... check it out below.  I'll go ahead see if I can find any more stray icon buttons. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #416 on: April 23, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »
I've been busy.  The beta (yes I think we are out of the alpha stage finally) will still be released sometime this week. 

Right now I'm tinkering with Outrun Radio.  I decided to make it a stand-alone application as people might want to use it on other games.... in the case of outrun, messages will be sent to it telling it when you are in a race so it will know when to mute the audio. 

I haven't made a media player since the old Dragonator Jukebox days around 15 years ago.  Man things sure have progressed since then!  I looked at the various options out there and decided that using windows media player as the back end would be easiest.  It will take care of the media tags and album art and what not (mostly at least, ogg support is rather crappy, so I have to do those manually).  It also has built in search functionality to search through your library. 

Maybe I can do something fancy like add in voice recognition like all the new cars seem to have?

Anyway I'm designing it so you can optionally show your track info on a secondary monitor.  I'll probably also add the option to send text to a lcd display. 

I have an amazingly crude preview attached.  Those ugly buttons are there for my benefit as it isn't hooked to outrun yet.  I'll do that later.  I'll probably make the whole thing skinnable as well. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »
Well I think I found the last of the errant keyboard icons in the game.  The trouble is I can't remember where this particular graphic is used, so I can't test to see how it looks.  It's the screen that says "congratulations"  I thought that was in 2k6 mode (all 2sp modes, afaik have endings).  I tried a main remix, and outrun mode and couldn't find it. 

Anyway, I'm sure it's fine, I'll release something tomorrow probably. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »
sweet. I cant wait to try it. my new control panel should be finished tomorrow too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »
Me too.... I'm going to start building my cab this evening hopefully.  ;)

I messed with it in terms of ff again last night.  I still don't think I have it perfect (spark force seems a tad strong, it goes nuts when you hit cars for heart attack) but I've made every single effect configurable even the effect file itself, so we should be good. 

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #420 on: April 26, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »
Did you ever release the uncut Clarissa? I forget. I remember several pages back you attempted Photoshopping it in  :laugh:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2014, 06:21:15 pm »
Yeah she's in the next version.  There were a couple of textures that were a little iffy, but it turned out the same quality as the originals.  I was actually sent screen grabs of the real sprites, so that helped tremendously. 

I'll tell ya, there are more outrun fans than you might think.  Everybody and their brother has came out of the woodwork since I started this last year. 

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2014, 11:55:23 pm »
Sweet I can't wait for that. And oh yeah tell me about it. I've been a fan since I first played it on Master System. Outrun 2 imo is one of the greatest racing games ever made. How good the PC version looks just blows my mind.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2014, 06:22:04 am »
Sweet I can't wait for that. And oh yeah tell me about it. I've been a fan since I first played it on Master System. Outrun 2 imo is one of the greatest racing games ever made. How good the PC version looks just blows my mind.

Yeah, I'd second that. Playing the original Outrun in one of those massive sit-down-shake-you-all-about hydraulic cabinets is one of my first ever arcade memories. When the original Outrun 2 came out on the Xbox that game alone was enough for me to sell my PS2 and jump ship to Microsoft (that and Panzer Dragoon Orta). The first time I fired it up, it genuinely felt like the closest I'd ever got to playing a real arcade racer at home. Even now, the PC version still looks great. It's just got a sense of vibrancy and speed which just seems to be missing in so many modern racing games (a lot of which I think is due to the fact that so many modern racers stick to 30 fps). I Hope S0L feels a little swell of pride when he sees threads like this, knowing that there are so many people who still love Outrun 2 and 2006 as much as the first day they played them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:28:48 am by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2014, 02:23:31 am »
So I was going to release the new beta today, but I tired myself out working on my cabinet.  Also I realized that I haven't bothered to make textures for the other languages. 

It isn't hard (just some copying and pasting of the English dds files around the text) but it is time consuming.  I got the first three of the modded texture archives prepared. 

Game_CVT is next and I've got to fix two dds files per archive and some manual copy/paste is required so that one will take a while.  I'll probably finish them up tonight if my insomnia continues, otherwise, tomorrow evening. 

OH btw, if any of you html guru's want a nice little companion project I've got something for you.  You know those little "currently playing, currently ranked" footers that used to be so popular?  Well I've more or less figured out the ranking data file in outrun, meaning a person could parse it an make a gif with their high scores.  Since I can open the textures, I can even give you access to the original dds files, so it would look like it does in-game. 

I've got the rank data more or less figured out, it isn't even encrypted really, but because there are so many modes in 2k6, there are literally hundreds of lines of scores, so it's a matter of figuring out which lines pertain to which high score charts.  Since they aren't encrypted I've just been renaming the initials to a number so I can confirm the lines visually within outrun. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #425 on: April 29, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
The real world is keeping me busy unfortunately.  I'll see what I can do about a release later this week, but atm I'm uncertain. 

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #426 on: April 29, 2014, 05:37:13 pm »
Howard, as many of us, I am looking at this page ten times (or more) everyday !!!  :hissy:
Release something or administrator will think about DDos attack against this forum

Thank you again for this amazing work

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »
Eh I'm still human unfortunately.  I tried calling the department of defense about that robot body I had on back order by they said "Who are you and how did you get this number?"  so I guess we'll have to do things the hard way.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »
Nothing to report I'm afraid, having more minor medical issues and real world crap to deal with.  The meds they've got me on do keep me up at night though, so maybe I'll try to work on this stuff a little more when I'm having trouble sleeping. 

Hunk_4TH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »
No worries Howard. Some seem impatient. But take your time man. Hope you feel better!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »
No worries Howard. Some seem impatient. But take your time man. Hope you feel better!

+1

Your health is more important dude.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »
Well I'm getting restless though.  The problem is I haven't really slept properly so it's hard to do anything. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #432 on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:39 pm »
So I'm still having minor medical issues going on.  I am working on this, but just a bit and piece at a time.  Most of the sprite packs are prepared at least, I just need to pack em up.  I would also like to look into the issues I'm having with spring effects before I release it as hooking up the x-force would be great. 

S0L

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2014, 11:53:01 am
« Reply #433 on: May 08, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »
Apologies, been on holiday, and then I came back to a huge pile of work... Bah.

Looking forward to this taking shape, I'm helping where I can :P

Boomslang, are you talking about "OutRun2 SP Special Tours" japonese ?
If yes, as I tried it and it did not work, and as I do not read/speak japonese, could you please give a proof of that ? Picture of the menu selection for exemple ?

EDIT : I found another French guy on gamoover forum who said exactly the same thing : It should have ffb but was not able to get it with Logitech wheel. It makes me really think that OR2 SP Special Tours does not have force feedback, whatever popular belief   :blah:
Anyway, it do not change anything about your heroic work Howard !!!  :notworthy:

Regards,

So I'll hopefully clear this one up at least. The Japanese version of OutRun2SP on PS2 does support Force Feedback on certain Logitech Wheels. Off the top of my head we supported the Driving Force Pro and Logitech G25. It *may* work with other wheels that Logitech make as we used their driver software. You will need to play it on a retail PS2 though, it probably won't work on a PS3 or under emulation as it relied on the PS2 USB hardware libraries.

Bear in mind quite a bit of time has passed since then though, updates to the wheels firmware may break compatibilty with the wheel SDK we used, newer wheels (such as the G27) didn't even exist at the time, so they may not work either.

Note only the Japanese PS2 version supported FFB wheels, the EU/US versions most certainly didn't.

Hope that answers the question.

---
S0L
---

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #434 on: May 08, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »
Hey S0L, welcome back.  I'm trying to get the basic FF implemented atm so that the base of the project will be completed.  After that I've got questions.  ;)

This applies to mamehooker as well as they are using the same FF engine but since more interest is over here I'll explain it for you guys. 

In my insomnia endued stupor I looked at my FF code to see why spring effects were failing when I tweak them on the fly.  Unfortunately it seems to be a bug in DX8.  You see I was trying to change a single variable in an effect type and pass it along, which tends to work for most effects, but apparently not  for envelope or conditional effects (aka springs).  For those you need to first retrieve the existing values to put in your structure, change the one that you wanted, and then dump the entire structure back into the effect. 

That SHOULD be easy, but the getparameters function seems to be broken in managed DX.  The MSDN documentation refers to a structure type not defined that way in reality.  I've tried overriding the structure type, but that seems to give the far more important setparameters function trouble.  I'm probably just too tired to fix it atm, but it isn't a deal breaker anyway. 

Fortunately there is a rather stupid workaround.  If you tweak all variables in an effect, hard-coding the ones you don't want to change, then it'll work as I setup the tweak engine to apply all the variables and then fire the effects after they are all setup.  Annoying but doable.  I'll update the effect file tutorials to reflect this once I feel better.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »
So I made a tweak file to hook up the xforce to the spring.  In all honesty it didn't feel all that great.  I'm not sure if this is my particular wheel, or my inability to program, or what, but since you can make your own effect file and tweak it to your liking, I'll just leave it exposed (off by default) and you can mess with it. 

I'll work on the remaining sprite packs tonight as health permits.  Expect a release soon. 

lolomc2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »
Howard do not mistreats the animal... Take care of you a little bit
We will wait

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:21 pm »
No Howards were harmed* during the making of this hack.

*probably

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
It's not like I'm dying or anything I've just got a pretty bad infection in my inner ears.  I'm on my third round of medication and hopefully this will finally take care of it. 

It's a colossal pain in the butt though because it doesn't allow me to sleep very much and when I am awake I'm dizzy and in a decent amount of pain.  It's getting better though... I wouldn't be working on this otherwise.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #439 on: May 10, 2014, 04:11:03 am »
just a note that Outrun SP Japanese version does indeed work 100% force feedback on ps2 emulator, ive used it myself. I can't wait for this hack from Howard tho so I can play force feedback multiplayer!