Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359292 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2013, 07:29:38 pm »
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, look what I've got here (taken on PCSX2 with texture filter on):

When I say I could get something , I mean I WILL get it.

I'd hit it!  :cheers: :lol

Good work bro

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »
Damn that's a pretty sweet find!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »
I'll see what I can do with them, thanks.  We have any photoshoppers in the house?  I'm pretty good at cutting out things, but these might be tricky around the hair especially. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
I'll see what I can do with them, thanks.  We have any photoshoppers in the house?  I'm pretty good at cutting out things, but these might be tricky around the hair especially.

I'll give it a shot when I get home. I have the PS2 emu at my house and this game, so I can also resnag them at a different resolution or without filters if you want.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
OK guys, I have confirmed that the issue regarding the License getting corrupted is *indeed* due to having more than three controllers plugged into your PC. Outrun will still allow you to play the game with as many controllers as you want, but if you have 4 or more connected, as soon as you enter the controller config menu it will corrupt your saved game and License stats. There is no way around this that I can see unfortunately. Especially given how I'm constantly having to enter the config menu to tweak the analog steering on my wheel. If I want to make any adjustments to my controllers and then turn around and drive with any of the faster or professional grade cars I'm screwed.

Man this game I swear.....

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:06 pm
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
OK guys, I have confirmed that the issue regarding the License getting corrupted is *indeed* due to having more than three controllers plugged into your PC. Outrun will still allow you to play the game with as many controllers as you want, but if you have 4 or more connected, as soon as you enter the controller config menu it will corrupt your saved game and License stats. There is no way around this that I can see unfortunately. Especially given how I'm constantly having to enter the config menu to tweak the analog steering on my wheel. If I want to make any adjustments to my controllers and then turn around and drive with any of the faster or professional grade cars I'm screwed.

I have to ask - why do you have so many connected?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »

I have to ask - why do you have so many connected?

Hi Fursphere. Good question bro. More and more race gamers on PC are starting to utilize several controllers on their rigs, since a lot of these devices are sold as separate USB hardware.

Some people have up to 10 devices connected. I have four. A wheel, a shifter, and a set of pedals...plus a Virtual joystick via PPJOY. I wouldn't exactly consider that "many", but these are the devices that make up my racing rig. I would love to be able to wire my shifter to my pedals' circuit board, but given the nature of how Thrustmaster's shifters are designed, I suspect it would a terribly complicated affair.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:06 pm
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:23 pm »
There seems to be a market for a virtual interface head here.  Like when the first virtual storage heads showed up in data centers and checked the way we thought about SAN storage.

The trick is to get all the devices to play nice together and become a signal HID device.

I think the question really becomes how may analog axis's do you need?  Everything else could be wired to a keyboard encoder and become a keyboard.  The shifter is buttons - that could be keyboard presses.  I'm pretty sure the trustmaster wheel + pedals in one device, so just make the shifter a keyboard encoder.  (Ultrimarc iPac or what not)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:13:34 pm by Fursphere »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:22 pm »

I'll give it a shot when I get home. I have the PS2 emu at my house and this game, so I can also resnag them at a different resolution or without filters if you want.

Yeah I'd appreciate that.  No filters would be best at 640x480.  I'm not sure if that's possible or not.  It would probably be a pain in the butt to get all of those captured again though... you'd have to finish with all the ranks. 

toyotasupraman

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:38 am »
Is this what you want? No filters, resolution at 640x480:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:11 am »
Yeah

toyotasupraman

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2013, 01:45:54 am »
In that case...

*forgets to open FRAPS*  :angry:

*pours some magic dust in a bubbling cauldron*

*dances the Macarena*

This should do it:

PD: For a Japanese game, it's got a metric crapload of English text/voices.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:58 am »
That outta do it.  Thanks a ton!

It's a Japanese game, but it's set in America.  Japanese artists often like to use as much English audio/video as possible in situations like that.  Btw if English is not your native language, but you can understand English, play the pc version in English.  In my tests I tried the various other foreign languages and only English has complete audio samples and good voice acting.  With the others several samples are completely missing and the voices of the girls often don't match their looks or attitudes. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2013, 02:27:41 am »
Well... one down at least...

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:14 am »
In that case...

*forgets to open FRAPS*  :angry:

*pours some magic dust in a bubbling cauldron*

*dances the Macarena*

This should do it:

PD: For a Japanese game, it's got a metric crapload of English text/voices.

good work with screenshots!  :applaud:

Quote from: Howard_Casto
Well... one down at least...

cool edition!! :applaud:

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2013, 02:57:05 am »
Anyone interested in playing some online racing?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:21 am »
Anyone interested in playing some online racing?

I would love to play some online OutRun 2006 on PC but they took down the servers, and unless you know something I don't, there's no way to play it online until Howard eventually looks into the issue and sees what he can do about it.

Believe me....I'd love nothing more than to play  this online and bring back all the good memories I had from playing the game online on the original Xbox 1, and meeting some incredibly cool people :(

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2013, 03:23:00 am »
if you can!! I long ago and fail and try hamachi then known the "Tunngle" and we have a server to play lan mode there, me and a friend sometimes play outrun2006 racing online (rival cars are not very stable)

EDIT: install   http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:26:04 am by Nuexzz »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:53 am »
if you can!! I long ago and fail and try hamachi then known the "Tunngle" and we have a server to play lan mode there, me and a friend sometimes play outrun2006 racing online (rival cars are not very stable)

EDIT: install   http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

Yeah but that's Mickey Mousing it big time bro

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2013, 05:04:20 am »

It's a Japanese game, but it's set in America.  Japanese artists often like to use as much English audio/video as possible in situations like that.  Btw if English is not your native language, but you can understand English, play the pc version in English.  In my tests I tried the various other foreign languages and only English has complete audio samples and good voice acting.  With the others several samples are completely missing and the voices of the girls often don't match their looks or attitudes.

Not just America where SP course takes place, it's also in Europe, Jordan, and Egypt where the Original Course takes place, I'm not gonna go in that topic about this. Okay, anyone checked their Ports to re-enable online play? Because Online Play on 2006 were shut down due to the discontinuation of Xbox 1's Live and also the XBLA version removed from the shelves on the Marketplace.
For amusement only.

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2013, 05:06:05 am »
Quote from: isamu
Yeah but that's Mickey Mousing it big time bro
??? I do not understand.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:08:09 am by Nuexzz »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:41 pm »

Not just America where SP course takes place, it's also in Europe, Jordan, and Egypt where the Original Course takes place, I'm not gonna go in that topic about this.

I am.  Yup there are stages in the original inspired by various European regions... but it's still supposed to be the US.  Much like the original outrun, the intention was to cross the USA, but they caved and added European locations.  They rectified this in SP and all SP courses are across the US.  Regardless of the fictional location, in every version of Outrun, you start in California and race from there.  It's where the "coast 2 coast" sub heading comes from.  Even taking the European courses into account the unofficial language of Europe is still English.  ;)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2013, 03:51:10 pm »
I tried , but its a texture with an outerglow and an alpha channel on the edged, the hair isnt as good as I wanted, but if theres a"censored" hair you could paste over it....

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »
I tried , but its a texture with an outerglow and an alpha channel on the edged, the hair isnt as good as I wanted, but if theres a"censored" hair you could paste over it....

That might be the way to go if Howard can post the original censored one at the same size.
Just put the censored as a layer on top the uncensored and start erasing her shirt!  :lol
Then chop away unneeded chunks of the uncensored version so the transparency on the edges is correct.
Merge the layers and you've got a good image.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:09:28 pm by BadMouth »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2013, 04:25:02 pm »
if he can post the original censored at whatever size they are I can scale the uncensored up/down to match and just put the uncensored bits on top then merge the layers like you said.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:52 pm »
I've been working on them... I got to the C girl so I've got 4 more to go. 

Like you I can't get them perfect, but mine looks a tad better (that one I posted was the one I did first).  Of course I'm not using the magic wand tool exclusively, rather I'm going do to the pixel level and manually adding some hair back in. 

Unfortunately in the case of the expressions, erasing out the shirt doesn't work.  They were done in basically the same poses, but unlike the menu censor job (which is a lame photoshop hack) a totally different, more detailed model was used... I've tried to shop out the shirt, but the differences are enough to where they look awkward.  In addition to a undershirt, the western release Clarissa also got a breast reduction.  ??

Oh, this is of a slightly lower priority, but does anybody have Holly unlocked in the ps2 version?  From what I understand she wears a totally different outfit.  I have the tools to rip textures off the 3d models, but I would need a game save with her unlocked. 

I'm rained in today (was gonna work on my car, but I need to jack it up and the ground is too soft atm) so I'll give a go at finishing the others and then if they need additional cleanup I'll pass em on to whoever thinks they can fix em up. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2013, 05:48:44 pm »
Here's B girl.... I got all of her hair but as you can see some of the tips are a bit blueish.  This is because her hair is translucent towards the end.  So what we'd have to do is re-color those hairs white and then thin them out with to a 50% transparency or something like that.  For now I think it's ok, but it'd be nice to fix them later on. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/930972-outrun-2006-coast-2-coast/saves ?
or there's the ENTIRETY and MILESANDMILES codes too

EDIT, ok I google image search using my cut out and found this:

http://outrun.freeforums.org/new-artworks-outrun-online-arcade-t27.html

which lead me to this:

http://segaretro.org/Category:Artwork_for_OutRun_Online_Arcade

I think I can photoshop the uncensored on top, just not right now

Edit2:
I hacked it together. I think it looks tits. /pun
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:11:07 pm by Malenko »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »
Unfortunately the Japanese are an insane race that don't believe in cheat codes.  The codes don't work in the Japan version. 

It's a shame really... Sega Japan had a wallpaper that had all the girls expressions  in hi resolution (and uncensored of course), but the site and the wallpaper is long gone.  I spent a month or so trying to track it down but all I ever found was a 128x128 thumbnail of the wallpaper that led to a dead link.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2013, 06:17:06 pm »
Yeah that looks pretty good man!  I've only got AA and AAA left though so I'm going to keep at it just in case. 

One of the other differences you'll notice is that she has makeup on the censored model....  not sure if that has to do with color palette issues though.. the ps2 has the textures squashed down with dithering pretty bad. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2013, 06:55:14 pm »
Yeah that looks pretty good man!  I've only got AA and AAA left though so I'm going to keep at it just in case. 

One of the other differences you'll notice is that she has makeup on the censored model....  not sure if that has to do with color palette issues though.. the ps2 has the textures squashed down with dithering pretty bad.

well I can always cut the hair off the censored and put it on the uncensored leaving the face the same. I moved the censored head because it looked better :p

toyotasupraman

« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:10 pm »
Seems like the GFAQs saves don't work on the JAP version either, it told me to make a new license. Oh well, time to unlock Holly the hard way.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2013, 10:28:45 pm »
Seems like the GFAQs saves don't work on the JAP version either, it told me to make a new license. Oh well, time to unlock Holly the hard way.

host your mem card somewhere, we can all chip away at it.  What settings are you using anyway? I have fog issues with the stages that have them.

toyotasupraman

« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2013, 11:00:00 pm »
Ok, have at it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4t4c14cdqq1c70s

PCSX2 settings:

http://imgur.com/a/df9BU

On the graphics plugin, I'm using native rendering resolution, no texture filtering. I also have the fog problem, I guess the PCSX2 forums should be a better helper in that respect.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2013, 12:19:42 am »
Ok I've got em all cut out and save a little bit of flak on the hair they look pretty good.  Tomorrow I'll use X and some of my texture grabbers to pull the two textures we need out of the pc version and convert them to png. 

Btw... I'm not quite sure how to implement them yet (other than a texture hack of course) but there are various texture variants of the girls and the driver in there.  The driver is the exact same model as the "evil" rivals so you can pretty much interchange their skins.  There is also a red-haired, red-shirt version of clarissa, and black bloused version of Heather, ect.....  Only poor old Holly lacks any kind of texture variant, probably because she isn't featured in any of the endings. 

Anyway, that was a nice diversion for a couple of days guys... thanks. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
Ok I couldn't sleep so I played around with the textures a little more.  There are two sets of expression textures in the game.  The largest is for the 2/2SP modes and these are bad photoshop jobs.  If you take the textures from the ps2 game I cut out and scale them to 103% they match perfectly except for the painted on undershirt.  Her boobs have been reduced and her top is a tad bit longer.  Again, the color palette is a lot better on the pc version though, so the method you guys suggested is best to get the full color range. 

So I'll have to run the game and pull the expression textures via a tool as the photoshop plugin for dds files mangles the alpha channel.  Then what I suggest is we overlay the uncensored textures and erase everything but the chest and shirt so that the textures have full color. 

Those hi-res grabs malenko found would be great if I can ever get different sized texture replacement. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:31 am »
OMFG I've figured out a way to run OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast PC with the old CRT arcade monitor look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :applaud:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:02:10 am by isamu »

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
Not trying to get off topic Howard but isamu how did you do that?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2013, 03:02:12 pm »
Boobs are nice, but I want my steering wheel to jiggle.  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2013, 03:55:13 pm »
It's not about boobs... it's about making the game as complete and arcade accurate as possible.  The fact that boobs are heavily involved is just a nice bonus.  :D

I wasn't even working on this, but I won't pass up free help when I can get it. 

Unfortunately the captured images I was working with have issues.  If you look closely at the pics posted, you'll see lines going through the characters due to an improperly aligned tile map.  Now if I had only noticed before I did all 7 images.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: