Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4X8 shts of 1/32 Blk Laminate - $20.00 a sheet, New Build_Check Link  (Read 8535 times)

Nemesis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2016, 11:46:20 am
Re: 4X8 sheets of 1/32 Black Laminate - $20.00 a sheet, less for 5+ sheets
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:02 am »
Curious on the shipping costs. 20 bucks a sheet is a real steal!
Let us know when you find out.
I'm in NJ.

:cheers:

I bought full sheets for $14 from brooklyn years ago. multiple times. they have like hundred different patterns/color. it was somewhere in downtown brooklyn. took the G train there. you can try google searching. but I cant remember the name or location at all.

(sorry little off topic)

I go to Brooklyn every other week... I NEED the name of that location / store with thee cheap laminate sheets.  Anything I have been able to find is double in price per sheet.  The cheapest is $38 shipped to my local Lowes Home Improvement store.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:20:02 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
these are $22.50 a sheet and $17 for shipping

http://www.reliablehardware.com/abslaminateblack.aspx

Noted.  Thank you for that link.

That's a great deal but this would be why,

ABS, But Laminate?
This is an ABS plastic sheeting, NOT a counter top laminate. It lacks the hardness and stiffness of counter top laminates, but it is easier to trim and glue. It is designed for making boxes. You may want to spend more for the more durable counter top stuff, or not, depending on you needs.

He's selling counter top grade standard laminate, more durable,and probably heavier, so your getting a better quality laminate that retails between $50 - $ 75.00 a sheet.  This is food prep grade, so just think off all the scratching scraping cutting is expected to happen on this stuff.

ABS is what suitcases are made of.  They are expected to take a serious beating and still look good.  ABS, being softer, has some very limited self healing properties, and it's actually harder to see imperfections when damage occurs.  Countertop, while capable of taking a fair bit of abuse, still looks pretty bad when it isn't cared for. Scratches, cracked / chipped edges and corners are commonplace with this material.  Chances are, anything which will screw up ABS enough to notice it, will do the same or worse on countertop laminate.  ABS doesn't crack or chip, is much easier to machine, is a  lot easier on your cutting tools, can be bent around corners with a little heat if desired, and is usually less expensive. 

I don't see any reason to avoid using ABS, or to seek out countertop laminate in this application, unless there is a specific pattern desired which is only available in that material type.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:20:38 pm by RandyT »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Re: 4X8 shts of 1/32 Blk Laminate - $20.00 a sheet, New Build_Check Link
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 02:00:54 pm »
Agreed and I have that link bookmarked myself.

I wasn't saying dont use it, but the thread was about cheap laminate sources.

The ABS also has more colors....I'm going to try some myself based on your review above.

Regardless, the laminate works well once its on the core.....I experienced chipping only when it was cold out, on a warm day, if you let it heat up, no chipping at all.

I've also had a few sheets on the garage floor, trampled on, dust, etc, wiped off clean not scrapes or scratches.

So it's preference i guess, at 1/32 thickness it doesn't phase my router.....

The 1/16 wilsonart stuff is a different story that stuff is top notch and robust, just pricey.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 03:29:17 pm »

Technically, the ABS in that thickness is a laminate ;)

Regardless, the laminate works well once its on the core.....I experienced chipping only when it was cold out, on a warm day, if you let it heat up, no chipping at all.

It's pretty tough, but be careful with the corners while moving the cabinet.  They will be the first thing to chip, if they take an impact.  Melamine is also very susceptible to this type of damage.

Not the router, but the bit.  Laminate is usually cut with carbide, as it is so hard that it dulls edges very quickly.  For a "one off" job, it's not a big deal, but cutter wear is significantly higher with countertop material.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 03:40:12 pm »

Technically, the ABS in that thickness is a laminate ;)

It's pretty tough, but be careful with the corners while moving the cabinet.  They will be the first thing to chip, if they take an impact.  Melamine is also very susceptible to this type of damage.

Not the router, but the bit.  Laminate is usually cut with carbide, as it is so hard that it dulls edges very quickly.  For a "one off" job, it's not a big deal, but cutter wear is significantly higher with countertop material.

Damn you Randy, I can never win with you, too smart for your own good.... :burgerking:

I never win, but I can't ever say i dont learn.... :cheers:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
Damn you Randy, I can never win with you, too smart for your own good....

Heh.  I don't know about that, but I had to pull a lot of parts through this thing to pay for it.  Couldn't help but to pick up a few things along the way ;)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »
:'(   its sniff just so beautiful....sniff

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TomOhio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2014, 03:27:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 03:43:20 pm »
Hi,
If he still has the laminate, I would be interested in five sheets shipped to OH. Which form of payment does he take?
Could you pm me the details?

Tom

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »
he takes paypal....i'll check to see if he has some left

TomOhio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2014, 03:27:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 09:34:52 am »
Thanks! Got your Pm, just could not respond via PM as my status with 2 posts does not allow that  :lol