Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scratch build: Pole Position 2 Cabinet  (Read 10003 times)

geecab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:34 pm
Scratch build: Pole Position 2 Cabinet
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »
Hi there!

This is my attempt at making a slim (but not too slim) upright driving cabinet. I bought an empty midnight run cab off ebay that was in a bit of a state, stripped it for its controls (wheel, pedals and coin door), hacked ps2 mouse & keyboard and this is what I came up with. I'll post some more pictures of how I put it all together shortly.

Enjoy!

geecab

• Offline Offline
Re: Scratch build: Pole Position 2 Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »
Okay, so here are a few pics I took whilst building it.

Here are a few pics of what the old cab and its controls looked like:-

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »
Control panel design and mouse hack using technic lego! Although it probably doesn't look it, the mouse/lego hack is really robust, there is no pressure/force on the cogs nomatter hard you spin the wheel. Also the larger cog turning the smaller cog means you can get pretty good accuracy from it (when playing stuff like arkanoid for example).

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:17:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »
That is one nice looking machine!  I would love to see some Pole Position side art on there as well... regardless you did a really nice job on that cab!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:37 pm »
My coin mech hack of a Sentinel c220b. I attached a micro switch on the coin eject button, so that if you don't have any coins on you, you'll always be able to get a credit.  I also removed a bit of metal inside the mechanism where the coin travels and replaced with a micro switch (Had to file some of the plastic down to get a nice fit). So you put and coin in, and it comes straight back as if it were rejected, but you get a credit! Works every time with £1 and £2 coins.

Also attached is a pic of how I attached micro switches to the back of the pedals. Those red plastic things I added to reduce the height of the pedals.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:06:25 pm »
That is one nice looking machine!  I would love to see some Pole Position side art on there as well... regardless you did a really nice job on that cab!

Cheers dude! I'd like it to have side art too someday!

Here are the final few pictures for now, just showing how I decided on its final shape and the temporary frame I made to get the height & angle of the steering wheel just right.

geoffers2013

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2014, 09:02:00 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 04:46:47 am »
Absolutely top job! love it.

I have a completely empty Pole Position cab, that I am hoping to do a similar job on soon (other projects allowing).. so I my well ask you some advice on them mouse hacks etc!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:30 am »
Nice!  :cheers:

I like how the ergonomics and dimensions are well thought out and centering the pedals is brilliant.

ron310

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 06:30:13 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »
I love this!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »
Fantastic build man!  Any chance I can get a copy of that art with the gauges? I think thats one thing my cab is really missing, some CP art.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 04:46:42 am »
Thanks all!

Absolutely top job! love it.

I have a completely empty Pole Position cab, that I am hoping to do a similar job on soon (other projects allowing).. so I my well ask you some advice on them mouse hacks etc!

Cheers! Wish I had an empty PP cab :) Only too happy to discuss mouse hacks. If you fancy going down the technic lego path, the lego part numbers I used were were 3647 for the 8 tooth cog, and 3649 for the 40th tooth cog. It seemed like easiest option for me, the 8 tooth cog fits neatly around the Y-axis optical arm of those old style Microsoft PS2 ball mouse without touching the mouse's circuit board, and plenty of replacement cogs & old PS2 MS mouses around on ebay should anything get worn out. Despite how it might look, its very robust, its been about 2 years since I made my cab, I used it loads, not had to adjust it once as there is no pressure on the cogs nothing has worn. Here's a pick of the MS ball mouse I hacked and a close up of the cogs..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:51:23 am by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 05:07:29 am »
Fantastic build man!  Any chance I can get a copy of that art with the gauges? I think thats one thing my cab is really missing, some CP art.

Cheers! The gauges/dial panel someone gave me ages ago, its actually out of an OutRun upright machine. Just googled to see if I could find a vector of it but couldn't find one (you might be better at finding it than me though). I could take higher res pics of it for you if you like?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:35 am »
Cheers! The gauges/dial panel someone gave me ages ago, its actually out of an OutRun upright machine. Just googled to see if I could find a vector of it but couldn't find one (you might be better at finding it than me though). I could take higher res pics of it for you if you like?

Pix would be fantastic, my email is my username at gmail.com  . Ironically, they are for a converted pole position:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,115363.0.html

I'll still look for the art, but yeah if you can send me some high res pix I should be able to vectorize them
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

FrEtBuRnEr89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 01:11:32 am
  • Why is the rum always gone?
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »
Well done!  That turned out really nice.   :cheers:

Fret \m/
My game room: MAME cab, Hydro Thunder sitdown, Super Hang-On upright, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade upright, Karate Champ, and Chicago Gaming Redline GT Driving Cab w/47" 3D LG HDTV