Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder  (Read 105399 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »
Looks good!  You spelled my name wrong though.  ;)

I really need to pick up a easier to use camera so I can start posting my own videos.  I've actually got a really nice one, but it's firewire and uses digital tapes instead of sd, so it's a pain in the butt to upload anything. 

Anyway I think I might go output hunting a little.... I'm going to try to hook up ff in hotd3 and 2. 

DarthMarino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2013, 09:42:39 pm »
Sorry about that.  Name corrected.  I just shoot my videos with one of those Flip things.  Nothing fancy but it does 720P HD and is certainly easy to use.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:15 pm »
Sorry about that.  Name corrected.  I just shoot my videos with one of those Flip things.  Nothing fancy but it does 720P HD and is certainly easy to use.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.  I've got decent quality video equipment, but I need something I can just turn on and shoot.  Got a link to the kind you are talking about?

I found the bullet count bits for hotd3... took all of around 10 minutes.  I'll do hotd2 as well if somebody can tell me how to run it in windowed mode.  There really isn't much use in doing the rest as they are in model 2. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2013, 11:39:43 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:41 pm »
Thanks man.... I think there's actually an older model on sale at my local s-mart.  I might have to go check that out. 

I thought about it, and that whole DirectX dll thing might be causing people to have problems with my other applications (I use directx8 a lot). 

So I'm writing a little program that attempts to register the dlls for you.  I still can't include the dll, but I can at least make it easier.  This app will search for the dll in both the system 32 and the syswow64 folders.  If it finds it in just one, it will register if for you.  If it finds it in both, it will prompt you to choose which one to register, defaulting with the 64bit version (since that seems to be the one you guys had the most luck with).  If it doesn't find it in either, it will look in the folder where the app is, and copy the dll over and then register it. 

So it's still not a one click process. But it beats mucking about in the command prompt. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
AW: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01:50 am »
I will try to get Andy to chime in. I really don't know what pid/vid even means so it would be better to get Andy into this thread and let the professionals do the talk.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 04:03:04 am »
Double Post
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:17:19 am by Endprodukt »

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:38 am »
As long as we're at it: is it possible to find the bullet counts in mame with mame hooker?  Would be cool for  area 51,maximum force,point blank  and others. I never worked with Mame Hooker so I really don't know. I already emailed Andy and I hope he can help out.

I'm not sure how this works though. Will all the outputs be controlled by Mame hooker? Means I need  scripts for all Mame and m2 gun games  to make the recoil work at all? right now the aimtrak recoil its triggered by shooting on screen. Will this still work for games without a script?

frizat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2013, 06:35:50 pm
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
Ok so I'm probably missing something small here.

I've only tested this with the PC Games (House of the Dead 3 / Virtua Cop 2).  I can try and test Model2 tonight.

I'm running on WinXP with 2 aimtrak's and what I did was download the program and drop it in a directory E:\Tools\TS2  I went into the config program and pointed hotd3 location to my hotd3 installation and did the same for vcop2bpc.

I made sure both guns were enabled and updated my keyboard defaults (FYI - the defaults are saved, but when I open the config app, but keyboard defaults revert back).

When I run ts2.exe hotd3 with launch game - nothing happens, don't see TS2.exe in task manager
When I run ts2.exe hotd3 without launch game - nothing happens, don't see TS2.exe in task manager
When I run ts2.exe vcop2bpc with launch game - nothing happens, don't see TS2.exe in task manager
When I run ts2.exe vcop2bcp without launch game - TS2.exe loads up.. if I show the program it says "waiting for Virtua Cop 2" but when I load up VCOP2 manually, my guns don't work at all

I'm sure I'm just overlooking something silly, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2013, 09:52:32 am »
Howard, is there anyway you can incorporate using joystick buttons for games with a secondary fire? Unfortunately for people running frontends, we are unable to go into the Aimtrak utility program and change our secondary buttons to a mouse function. Then we would have to change it back if we want to play a Mame game. And if a remap is used with a proggie like autohllhotkey it will not work because we need raw input to allow two players in the first place.

If Andy would make support for command line functions in the Aimtrak utility then we could script a change in autohotkey without having to manually open up the app.

Also with Virtual On, I'm trying to get rid off the reverse up and down. Right now, no matter how much I try to change the keys in the Von setup and save, up continues to move the mech backwards and down moves him forward. Am I doing something wrong?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:10 am »
I think your are looking at the problem the wrong way. 

MAME supports any kind of input.  So change your buttons to mice buttons and be done with it. 

Virtual On might have the joysticks reversed, I dunno.  It was my understanding it was like a flight stick (y axis reversed). 

frizat:

Make sure your paths are correct. 

c:\game
 is NOT a valid path
c:\game\
is

There are two versions of the pc edition of Virtua Cop 2 (maybe more) make sure you are attempting to launch the correct version.  Honestly, I couldn't get the pc version of vcop 2 to run on my machine so it's the only game I didn't test.  The values are straight from the original troubleshooter though. 

Hotd3 requires a constant registry hack to be launched, so if you are trying to launch any exe other than the loader (the menu prior to launching the real game) then this is your issue. 

You save keys with the buttons at the bottom of the cfg menu.  The one next to the path only saves things for the launch of the game.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »
Virtual On might have the joysticks reversed, I dunno.  It was my understanding it was like a flight stick (y axis reversed). 

More like a bulldozer.  Both sticks forward to move forward.  Both sticks back to move backwards.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:47 pm »
Found a issue in the shelling code (for pc games) that only effects hotd3.  I launched shell with a hidden value to hide ugly command prompts, but apparently the hotd3 launcher won't load with a hidden value.  I've defaulted it back to normal focus.

I'll look into Von, but honestly it could be as simple as me labeling the sticks backwards in the cfg menu.   

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:17 pm »
I wish I had more time for testing it out.  I feel left out.  :lol
I should have time tomorrow night to update M2emulator on my old setup and try it with the act labs guns.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »
Yeah I labeled the sticks backwards. 

It'll be fixed next version. 

I also found some issues with the output code.... nothing serious, but I fixed it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »
Went ahead and added in all those fake recoils I found. 

I looked into bel since it's recoil is broken.  I managed to find the ammo count, which works for the machine gun part, but the missiles will be a bit trickier.  I did find the missile count fairly easily, but as you may or may not know, the missile button for bel only works when you get a lock on an enemy.  So the missile count is irrelevant to determining if recoil should work.  Someone would need to dive into the memory addresses and find the byte that is changed when you get a lock. 

I'm not willing to go back into memory hell for a game I don't really care for, but ramjet, retrorepair, have at it if you want to and I'll plug the addresses in. 

yakk11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2023, 07:41:58 pm
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »
Added Behind Enemy Lines to my Hyperspin wheel today.  This game isn't working for me for some reason.  The only thing that seems to work is the player 2 trigger.  The crosshairs are stuck in the lower left of the screen.  I cleared my nvram and cfg folder, still the same results.  Any help?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
You need to Press F2 and calibrate the guns.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »
Added Behind Enemy Lines to my Hyperspin wheel today.  This game isn't working for me for some reason.  The only thing that seems to work is the player 2 trigger.  The crosshairs are stuck in the lower left of the screen.  I cleared my nvram and cfg folder, still the same results.  Any help?

If you clear you nvram and cfg folder it DEFINATELY isn't going to work.  The ts2 installer adds custom cfg files.  If you delete them the buttons won't be mapped anymore.

yakk11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »

If you clear you nvram and cfg folder it DEFINATELY isn't going to work.  The ts2 installer adds custom cfg files.  If you delete them the buttons won't be mapped anymore.

So I should rerun the Model 2 helper in TS2? 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 09:20:46 pm »
yup

then calibrate like darth suggested.

yakk11

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
Thanks guys!  Have it working.   :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:51 pm »
Ok although I haven't released a updated version yet, I think I've pretty well addressed all the bugs you guys have found. 

Next on the agenda is expanding the script functionality. 

I figured a widescreen key would be nice.  For a lot of the games though, widescreen has to be turned off, depending upon the screen you are on.  Daytona has that area mapped out in the example lua script.  Is there a list of the ws settings for the other games somewhere? I mean generic widescreen works pretty good, until you get to a game menu and  the icons are all screwed up. 

I also tried it on the gun games just to see how they behave.  Gunblade and Bel actually work ok in ws mode, which is to be expected considering they use analog guns.  Rail chase works ok as well, but I noticed the sound drops out in the first level... not sure if it's related or not. 

As for the lightgun games.... Widescreen does indeed work, but I think it would be very confusing to the player. Although the view expands, the area in which you can shoot your gun is still restricted to 4:3.  So if you see a guy on the edge of the screen you can't shoot at him. 

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Once I get this next release out I'll leave this project for a while, so you better get your requests in while you can. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:32 pm »
For Model 2, I would have 2 requests. 

-Is there any way to do sequential shifting in Daytona?  Instead of 4 separate buttons for the gears, have a shift up and shift down.

-Sky Target has a weird control issue (at least for me though I've tried on a few controllers). If you pull all the way back on the stick the plane goes down instead of up.  If you want to fly up you have to only pull it back half way or so. Maybe there's a way to limit how far the emulator thinks you are pulling back.

I'm a bit torn on the widescreen possibility but it can't hurt to have the option, even if the targeting is limited to the 4:3.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »
-Is there any way to do sequential shifting in Daytona?  Instead of 4 separate buttons for the gears, have a shift up and shift down.

The author of RacerMAME wrote a small program called H2Seq that does that.
http://www.racermame.altervista.org/download.htm
I haven't tried it.

Not that it wouldn't be a good addition to Howard's program, but there is an option available now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:36 pm »
I don't think sequential shifting is out of the question, we already know where the shift position is located, it would just be a matter of changing it. 

Wow Sky Target is seriously screwed up isn't it?  I'm not even sure what the issue is there. 
The glitch doesn't seem to happen when you use digital controls.  I might just be able to use the existing lightgun code to control the flight axis (set p1 lightgun to joystick, ect..) and instruct the users to uncheck the analog controls box. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »
Well that took all of about 10 minutes. 

Sky Target uses the same analog axis as gunblade.  The same NOPs apply as well.  I suppose I better make a special section though.  Some poor saps are going to want to use digital controls, and those are blocked as well.  Perhaps I need to add a conditional switch for NOPs?  The digital controls work just fine, so in the event that the user wants to use digital controls there really isn't any point in NOPing out functionality. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:30 pm »
So I hooked all that up and everything works. 

I think I'm going to cheat a little bit with the configuration though.  I'll just have three memcfg files for sky target and copy the appropriate one over depending upon if you want digital inputs, analog inputs, or analog inputs with an inverted y axis. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »
I looked into the sega shifter.  I can certainty do it on my end, but I think we are going to have to wait until a future release, perhaps when I get a bit further along with outrun 2006. 

The problem is right now I use a very generic "one cfg menu for everything approach".  Even now I've got two hacks to that cfg menu (von and sky target) that break this up.  I don't want to have to do special cases for each game.  The best solution would be to totally re-write the cfg menu so that it's a little more flexible, only loading sections that the memcfg for each game can actually manipulate.  That's just not going to happen right now.

Also this goes into the hacking territory.  Thus far I've fixed issues and hooked up outputs.  The games are still working as intended.  If I start going do the "hack this feature in please" rabbit hole I might not ever dig my way back out.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
Started working on updated scripts for the lightgun games. 

Right now I assume that the screen width is the width of the gameplay area, but as you know, if you use a widescreen resolution it is not.  So I'm using a real simple trick to lock the cursors into the 4:3 area.  I thought it might be nice in case you are running all the other non-gun games in widescreen. 

It won't help with physical gun calibration though... you'll still need to aim at the corner of the gameplay area and not the corner of the screen.  But hey, I can only control so much. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »
Finally got some time to test and can confirm that it works great with the Act Labs guns.  :cheers:

One thing....when cycling through the available crosshairs, I can get blank ones on vcop (which is what I want).
It skips over the option for blank ones on vcop2 and hotd.
Maybe a part that wasn't copied over to the other scripts?

Calibration seems to drift a bit toward the bottom of the screen.  When aiming at the lowest part of the screen, the red splotch indicating where the bullet hits is about an inch above where I'm aiming (on a 32" screen).  Your crosshairs are where I'm aiming, so it may be that the splotch is off.  Either way, these games are pretty generous with their hit areas and there are only ever huge targets popping up in front of you at the bottom of the screen, so I don't think it really affects gameplay.  Thought I'd mention it though.

Time to dig the big positional gun out of storage and play some Gunblade the way it was meant to be played!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:06:57 pm by BadMouth »

frizat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2013, 06:35:50 pm
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:43 pm »
I'm still having issues setting this up with Windows XP.  I tried the rawtest.exe application and no matter the numbers I put into the boxes, the best I can do is to get 2 red mouses moving at the same time.  The blue one won't move except for when I click on "command 1".  The  dual guns work fine in MAME. 

Thanks!

What about the rawtest app I sent?

Set the id numbers to the same ones that are working in ts2 and hit the command1 button

Is the tracking of the red and blue squares the same as in model 2?

The reason I ask is the EXACT same code is being used in the rawtest app as the troubleshooter.  They should behave the same. 

I've gotta go guys... anything else you find out post here, I'll check it later.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:07 pm »
well I removed the blank cross hairs in the scripts, so you shouldn't even be able to access them.  You might have an errant script left over from the testing phase but I'll look into it. 

Instead press 9 to just turn them off, it's saved on a per game basis so you'll have to do it for each game. 

I haven't noticed any vertical drifting with the crosshairs... it may just be your calibration for the act labs guns needs to be re-done.  I have noticed the occasional horizontal drift, but that has to do with the issue I was talking about above. 

Both ts2 and the crosshairs ignore the in-game calibration. Unfortunately the game does not, which is why the splotch might not line up with the crosshairs.  You are supposed to rely on the calibration your guns provide to get things right.  So in terms of calibration in model 2, your goal is to get the fake crosshair in line with the splotch.  It's much easier to do this with a mouse or joystick.  I can imagine that it's near impossible to do with a true lightgun. 

Of course the positional gun games are the opposite.... the calibration IS taken into account. 

Clear as mud right?

Anyway, you are correct... the games are extremely generous when it comes to hit targets.  As are the digital leisure games.... as are 75% of the games in mame.  Which is why when people complain that ir-guns aren't accurate enough to be a real replacement for lightguns I just ignore them. 

Just for the record, many lightgun games, as it turns out, don't even require aiming.  I learned this via my testing.  Shoot at the dead center of the screen for any sega shooter and you'll hit the target 80% of the time.  Kind of takes a bit of the fun out of it after you figure that out. 

frizat:  we've kind of moved beyond the rawtest app at this point. 

What kind of guns are you using?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »
I looked into the sega shifter.  I can certainty do it on my end, but I think we are going to have to wait until a future release, perhaps when I get a bit further along with outrun 2006. 

The problem is right now I use a very generic "one cfg menu for everything approach".  Even now I've got two hacks to that cfg menu (von and sky target) that break this up.  I don't want to have to do special cases for each game.  The best solution would be to totally re-write the cfg menu so that it's a little more flexible, only loading sections that the memcfg for each game can actually manipulate.  That's just not going to happen right now.

Also this goes into the hacking territory.  Thus far I've fixed issues and hooked up outputs.  The games are still working as intended.  If I start going do the "hack this feature in please" rabbit hole I might not ever dig my way back out.   

Glad to hear about Sky Target.  That was certainly a more important fix whereas the Daytona is more of a perk.  I downloaded the program BadMouth recommended so I'll test it out when I feel like playing around with my wheel.  What are you doing with Out Run 2006?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »
Well mamehooker comes next, but the goal for outrun 2006 is to get some rudimentary FF data supplied to the output system.  The game doesn't have any official ones, but if I can find the car's acceleration and rotation, that's enough to do something with.  Likewise if I can find the flags for when the car goes off road, that's enough for the simple ff you found in the xbox release. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »
Ok, updated the scripts for the lightgun games.  The crosshairs should now be accurate regardless of the aspect ratio you are running model 2 in.  That being said I am NOT going to add the code to run the lightgun games in widescreen mode, and here is why:

1.  You can't shoot out of the 4:3 area anyway, so it's confusing to the player. 

2.  When you fire the gun, the white flash only flashes the 4:3 area.  It looks really ugly and there's no telling what it would do to true lightguns.

3.  When you get hit, the red damage rectangles, again, only cover the 4:3 area.

4.  When the game enters "cinema mode" (letterbox) the black bars only span the 4:3 area. 

All in all these games just look really bad in widescreen. 

The rest of the model 2 library looks great though, so there's no reason not to add functionality for those. 

Daytona will get a special script for it, as it's game modes are mapped out.  The others will have to make due with a simple toggle though. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:35 pm »
I've got something cool for you guys to play with.... just something I'm thinking of adding. 

I wanted to see if I could use the lua scripting to implement a screen effects filter similar to mame.  The results are fairly good!

All this does is take a png file (in this case a modified version of the scanlines.png included with mame, which I do NOT care for) and tile it across the screen.

Again, the same artwork limitations we've ran into before, the png doesn't scale and it's dimensions have to be a power of two.  Also mame uses the effects pngs as an overlay and model 2 doesn't give us this option.  Instead I converted this one into a translucent png and tweaked the translucency until it looked similar to how it would overlain.

On my machine, the effect looks best at around 1024x768, but depending upon your monitor this will vary. 

To try it out just take the "effects" folder in the zip and put it in your artwork folder. 

Then take a game you want to try it on, temporarily rename it's lua script, and put the "effect.lua" in it's place. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2013, 08:37:28 am »
Looks good.  What do you think about putting the gun games in widescreen but then making a png overlay like this to cover just the bars on the side with a bezel of sorts. All the artwork appears above and below the screen on the actual cabs but maybe we can adapt some of it for the sides. I did something like this for Golden Tee and it worked out pretty well:

phasermaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:40:47 am
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »
whow! thats so amazing! a new troubleshooter!
I'm not sure it will work for me as i use two guncon2 non namco (as those had the rolling x problem), with wingun software, which doesnt use rawinput. But I'm gonna test it and tell you my results.
Would it be possible adding support to any mega drive/ sms/mega cd emulator, like kega or regen, which reads the coordinates in relative way? would be magnific as i didnt found any with lightgun support.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2013, 12:59:22 pm »
DarthMarino:

Well I would like to, and I've actually written some code to do just that, but I've had one heck of a time finding artwork for the Virtua Cop games or any of the model 2 games really.  The best I've found so far is a blurry image of sky target's control panel and a instruction card for Daytona USA.  Just keep in mind that I can't move the gameplay area around at all.  So it would be two skinny strips, on each side, not one to the left as in your pic.