Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder  (Read 105447 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
Re: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 03:52:54 pm »
Ok, I'm just giving up on this. I've screwed with this for 2 hours and now I'm burnt out.

I don't understand what the problem is with this program. I run the Model 2 setup, it installs the scripts/CFG/artwork. Then I configure the games themselves in TS2, save the specific configurations, yet I try to open a game in Model 2 and before it runs the 76 error shows up, and the path to TS2.exe is 100% correct in the .cfg file in the Model 2 folder.

The settings paths are blank like you said, and the Have Troubleshooter 2 launch game box is checked. If I don't check it then I get the 429 error unable to create api.

People who have this working should post a small tut. or something.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 04:12:05 pm »
I decided just to ignore this error I'm getting and play around with it anyway.  I thought I was making some progess.  The mouse and AimTrak work completely independent of each other, including shooting and reloading.  The problem is that the AimTrak basically just points to the corners.  You can move but then it jumps to corner you are moving towards.  It acts just as it does in a program that doesn't like absolute mouse positions.  I am assuming that the TS program itself is what converts this and allows it to aim properly.  No matter what I change in TS, it works the same.  I can even delete it the TS folder and it will still work the same (it will just give me an error that the path is wrong).  I can use my Trackball mouse and regular mouse at the same time and it will work correctly. So, it appears that the new scripts installed help but the stupid error I'm getting is preventing the AimTraks from working properly. 

yakk11

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2023, 07:41:58 pm
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »
I was having the same problem as Endprodukt was, but got it fixed after Howard_Casto released TS1.2, my problems went away.  After getting the latest version, all I did was start the Model 2 helper and made sure mouse was selected.  Then I made sure the device IDs for my AIMTRAKs were set at 1 and 2, just like in the AIMTRAK setup utility.  This was with my PC mouse still connected, by the way.  After setting those settings in TS2, I rebooted into Hyperspin and everything just worked! :D  Loving it!! 

On a side note, would this program potentially work for Demul?  That only has support for one light gun / mouse as well.  THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND GREAT SUPPORT!!   :applaud:

Now I just have to get my NANAO MS2930 chassis swapped out for an mS2931 so I can play these games in the resolutions they were meant to be played in!  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 06:43:20 pm »
The settings paths are blank like you said, and the Have Troubleshooter 2 launch game box is checked. If I don't check it then I get the 429 error unable to create api.

I said that you aren't supposed to touch those settings for the model 2 games for a reason.  Think about what you just said for a second.  Troubleshooter isn't launching anything.  Model 2's lua scripts are launching troubleshooter.  By checking that box you are creating your own file not found error because you are telling it to launch a exe with a name of nothing in a path of nothing.

Your true error is 429, which typically means that the vb6 runtime files aren't installed.  Don't start messing with settings I specifically tell you not to mess with in the readme just because you can't get things running.  ;)

I'll direct you to this article for help in regards to setting up vb6 runtime files. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4213496/how-do-i-resolve-run-time-error-429-activex-component-cant-create-object

If you are still getting a 429 error after installing that package, my guess would be you are missing a windows dll somewhere.  I can give a list of all the dlls used, but it's a LOT so let's make sure it isn't the obvious stuff first. 

There should be a lua script for gunblade.  There should be a lua script generated for all 50+ model 2 games.  If there isn't then something went wrong when you tried to install via the little setup helper in ts2.   

You keep saying that it can't find the path.  Are you referring to clicking on the verify path button and it says model 2 isn't found?   Because that's a serious error caused by the user. 

remember:

c:\m2emulator        is NOT a valid path!

neither is

c:/m2emulator/

or

\m2emulator

ect.....

You need the FULL path, which in this example is:

c:\m2emulator\

Note the last slash on there. 

I hope some of this helps you. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:17 pm »
Spent ten minutes with it last night on my test computer.  Not really enough to figure out much, but it seemed to work.
I was only using one gun for like 5 minutes, so it was kinda hard to tell.

Just spent a half hour trying to get it to work on my old setup with ACT Labs guns before I realized that
I'm running v.9 on that setup, which doesn't support LUA scripts.
Could this be the problem for others who can't get it working?   :angel:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:56 pm »
It is entirely possible. 

Not only are lua scripts not supported, but because it is a totally different version all of the memory locations that I hack are most likely different. 

So yeah, version 1.0 is the only supported version.  I guess I should put that in the docs. 

A 429 error can only be caused by a missing dependency though, if you are getting that then your version of windows is missing something (again, most likely the vb6 runtime files). 

I don't use anything out of the ordinary though.  I use the memory apis, which a pc won't even function without, the dde apis, which have been included with windows since the 9x days and some generic file and keypress apis... these are all apis that are crucial for windows to work properly.  I intentionally didn't do things like use a dialog box to allow the user to browse for paths, ect to reduce the number of dependencies. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »
Howard, wanted to say thanks up front for putting in the work on this!  I'll be using positional guns on the R2 build and know this is going to come in handy.  Many thanks.  I'll let you know how it works when I finally get to that part of the build, in like three or four months  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
No problem.  I'm all about the analog gun games myself, that's why I attempted to do this.  I know everybody else wants to play Virtua Cop and House of the Dead but I've played those games to death 10 years ago when they were released for the pc.  I just wanted to play Gun Blade and Rail Chase 2.  ;)

You know, you guys could help me with something if you wanted to.  I'm currently looking for gun shells.  I need something a wiimote pcb (not necessarily the whole wiimote) can fit in. 

I was hoping for a handgun shell and a uzi, similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UZI-SUBMACHINE-GUN-TOY-PROP-COSTUME-ACCESSORY-PLASTIC-LICENSED-58-/170900258788

I'm going to put a big recoil motor in the uzi shell so it has to be fairly big.  I might put recoil in the handgun shells, but honestly there isn't a lot of room in a shell that size and I'm not a fan of the gun con design. 

Finding them online is easy, but I would like something I can get in a chain store to avoid shipping costs.  I hate to be a cheap bastard about it, but I'll likely break two or three shells just figuring out how to hack these up. 

I've got some of the perfect shot shells left over from the wii, but honestly those things are just too wide.  The grip is twice the width of a handgun and having the batteries on the top of the gun (in the wiimote) makes the whole thing top heavy.  I was hoping to mount the pcb sideways so I could use a narrower shell and put the batteries in the grip. 

Anyway, if you find a really good deal online, or you happen to walk into your local S-Mart and see a suitable gun in the toy section let me know. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:58 pm »
I used cheap-o airsoft shells from Wally-whirled.  They were great but needed some subtle modding.  Take a walk over in the sports aisle and see if anything jumps out at you.  I was all enamored with the nerf maverick when it first came out but I can't bring myself to do anything arcade related with them.  I'm currently hunting for the perfect Star Wars blasters to refurb my pos guns.   

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:36 am »
Been following this thread for a while and have to say great job Howard (Do you ever sleep???).

I have an EMS Topgun III that I am using with my PC games, model 2, and some Mame games. At the moment, the gun seems to be working as it should and I have had no issues other than the off-screen reload issue that has been fixed thanks to Ramjets Borderless fix.

If I am not planning on using more than one gun, are there any benefits to using Troubleshooter 2 that I may not be aware of? I don't want to start messing with my system since it is currently working fine if I don't need to, but If there are issues I am not aware of, I will give it a shot.

I am new to this stuff, so I don't know if I am missing something on my end that I don't know about. Besides that, I cannot get Model 2 v1.0 to work on my cab (Windows 7 issue I have not been able to resolve, although Model 2 v1.0 works on my other PC with Windows 8 and a PC running Vista) so I am unable to use LUA scripts at the moment since the apparently are not supported by Model 2 v0.9. All the games I play are working though.

Thanks!

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 05:04:27 am »
No problem.  I'm all about the analog gun games myself, that's why I attempted to do this.  I know everybody else wants to play Virtua Cop and House of the Dead but I've played those games to death 10 years ago when they were released for the pc.  I just wanted to play Gun Blade and Rail Chase 2.  ;)

You know, you guys could help me with something if you wanted to.  I'm currently looking for gun shells.  I need something a wiimote pcb (not necessarily the whole wiimote) can fit in. 

I was hoping for a handgun shell and a uzi, similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UZI-SUBMACHINE-GUN-TOY-PROP-COSTUME-ACCESSORY-PLASTIC-LICENSED-58-/170900258788

I'm going to put a big recoil motor in the uzi shell so it has to be fairly big.  I might put recoil in the handgun shells, but honestly there isn't a lot of room in a shell that size and I'm not a fan of the gun con design. 

Finding them online is easy, but I would like something I can get in a chain store to avoid shipping costs.  I hate to be a cheap bastard about it, but I'll likely break two or three shells just figuring out how to hack these up. 

I've got some of the perfect shot shells left over from the wii, but honestly those things are just too wide.  The grip is twice the width of a handgun and having the batteries on the top of the gun (in the wiimote) makes the whole thing top heavy.  I was hoping to mount the pcb sideways so I could use a narrower shell and put the batteries in the grip. 

Anyway, if you find a really good deal online, or you happen to walk into your local S-Mart and see a suitable gun in the toy section let me know.

how about the original grey ps1 guncons. Traditional Namco arcade design with heaps of room inside for mods and you can paint them if grey is too bland for your liking

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
AW: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:02 am »
If your interested Howard: I've got a PS1 real arcade gun. It's basically like the namco arcade guns with recoil (with solenoid!). The plastic is just a tad cheaper and it has additional buttons. Was pretty expensive back then.  I don't need it because I've got two real namcos in my cabinet. If you're willing to pay for the shipping I'd donate it to you for your hard work. Its just missing the foot switch because I use it for time crisis. Let me know. BTW I'm located in Germany, I'd get a quote of you want.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:17 am »

I said that you aren't supposed to touch those settings for the model 2 games for a reason.  Think about what you just said for a second.  Troubleshooter isn't launching anything.  Model 2's lua scripts are launching troubleshooter.  By checking that box you are creating your own file not found error because you are telling it to launch a exe with a name of nothing in a path of nothing.

Your true error is 429, which typically means that the vb6 runtime files aren't installed.  Don't start messing with settings I specifically tell you not to mess with in the readme just because you can't get things running.  ;)

I'll direct you to this article for help in regards to setting up vb6 runtime files. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4213496/how-do-i-resolve-run-time-error-429-activex-component-cant-create-object

If you are still getting a 429 error after installing that package, my guess would be you are missing a windows dll somewhere.  I can give a list of all the dlls used, but it's a LOT so let's make sure it isn't the obvious stuff first. 

There should be a lua script for gunblade.  There should be a lua script generated for all 50+ model 2 games.  If there isn't then something went wrong when you tried to install via the little setup helper in ts2.   

You keep saying that it can't find the path.  Are you referring to clicking on the verify path button and it says model 2 isn't found?   Because that's a serious error caused by the user. 

remember:

c:\m2emulator        is NOT a valid path!

neither is

c:/m2emulator/

or

\m2emulator

ect.....

You need the FULL path, which in this example is:

c:\m2emulator\

Note the last slash on there. 

I hope some of this helps you.

It looks like I'm going to need a list of the dll's. I ran that installer and I'm still getting the 429 error.

Supposedly vb6 runtimes come already with Win7 as well which is what I don't get.  :banghead:

Being that Darth Marino has the same issue and he's on Win7 x64, something may be wrong with using this OS with your app.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:28:23 am by Trnzaddict »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:12 am »
Not sure if the troubleshooter relies on the same ones, but some of emulators I use (nulldc, demul, makaron) rely on these runtimes and they weren't included in Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »
No it's definitely not a compatibility issue with win 7 64bit.  What do you think I'm running?  ;)

Also win 7 does not come with the vb6 runtime files.  Windows xp did, which made my life a lot easier, but they haven't been included with vista or 7. 

I hate to ask, but when you are running the installer packages you are running them as administrator correct?  Because nearly nothing installs correctly in win 7 unless you right click on the exe and run as administrator. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:53 pm »
Ok here are the main dependencies according to dependency walker.  Note that some of these dlls depend upon yet more dlls.  Windows has always been a mess that way.  Chances are if you have these it's ok though because all of the dlls helper objects are installed along with them as a package.

The stuff that says "windows" or "core" might vary a little, those are core dlls that every program uses. 

As vb6 is a 32 bit app, you'll find most of this in your system32 folder.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »
Oh I suppose I should also mention that the app requires directx 8. 

I didn't mention it because model 2 obviously requires dx as well and if you have any version of directx installed typically the older versions are retro-actively installed. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
Ok here are the main dependencies according to dependency walker.  Note that some of these dlls depend upon yet more dlls.  Windows has always been a mess that way.  Chances are if you have these it's ok though because all of the dlls helper objects are installed along with them as a package.

The stuff that says "windows" or "core" might vary a little, those are core dlls that every program uses. 

As vb6 is a 32 bit app, you'll find most of this in your system32 folder.

I'm certainly no expert on DLL files but I can confirm that everything from that list appears in both my System32 and SysWOW64 folders except the long ones starting with "API-MS-WIN-CORE".  Where should these be located?

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
No it's definitely not a compatibility issue with win 7 64bit.  What do you think I'm running?  ;)

Also win 7 does not come with the vb6 runtime files.  Windows xp did, which made my life a lot easier, but they haven't been included with vista or 7. 

I hate to ask, but when you are running the installer packages you are running them as administrator correct?  Because nearly nothing installs correctly in win 7 unless you right click on the exe and run as administrator.

I'm not going to lie, I did not run the installer as administrator the first time. When I did I got that prompt saying "This program may not of installed correctly". So I reran it as administrator but still no dice. I guess the next step is to run a search for all those dll's but I'll save that for tomorrow.

It's x64 home premium sp1 btw.

I'll post back my findings.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2013, 08:43:44 pm »
I'm guessing you guys don't get the error in the setup menus right?

It just happens when you go into the main game loop correct?

Why don't you try this (it won't fix the problem but it can help us determine what the problem is).

In your setup turn off "send outputs to mamehooker"

also uncheck the enable box for both p1 and p2.

See if the game and ts2 runs without error. 

If it does then it's got something to do with rawmouse or directx8 or possibly dde. 

That would at least narrow it down.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:35 pm »
One more thing

Make sure you have a dx8vb.dll in your system32 folder and not only that make sure it's registered by typing "regsvr32 dx8vb.dll" at the command prompt. 

There was an issue years ago on vista about the vb-specific dlls not registering properly.  It's some nutty Microsoft bug.  I've never heard of this happening on xp/7 but it wouldn't hurt to check as these aren't common dlls that most apps would use. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »
Still get the error with turning off the outputs and both controls. 

I tried registering the dll but it gives me an error saying it might be the wrong version for 64 bit windows blah blah blah.  I tried registering again but after typing the full path: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll 

All I gotta say is:

Now, the guns aren't firing but that should a cake walk after being beat down by the DLL's.  Anyway, thanks Howard.  I'll play around with this some more and make a video later this week showing the games in actions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:35:34 pm by DarthMarino »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »
Hmm. Gunblade and Behind Enemy Lines are not working for me.  I can shoot, but not aim.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:59:39 pm by DarthMarino »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:52 am »
You probably need to calibrate them. 

While the lightgun games work out of the box, the analog guns do not.  Their default calibration is "nope I'm not moving"  scared the crap out of me when I was trying to get bel working. 

Also remember before that you said there wasn't a lua script for gunblade (there should be).  You better make sure you got a full install.  This would also be why your guns aren't firing... the cfg files didn't get copied over. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 12:44:11 am »
Just a personal rant, but it really ticks me off when Microsoft does stuff like this.  You might think "well that's some weird vb-only dll, no wonder it wasn't working"  but nope, the vb dx dlls are part of the official direct x package.

Now you can download the latest dx distributable right now and it will install all the way down to dx 7 in addition to the latest version.  Yet for some reason they decided to randomly not register these dlls, depending upon the OS.  Why?

Anyway, I'm going to put a note in the readme.  Microsoft's license agreement prevents me from including the dll, but at least I can tell people about it.  I've also changed the code around a little.  Now none of the dx stuff will be initialized unless you use a joystick as your control type, which should help a little.  So I'll release version 1.3 tomorrow and that will be the last version for a while barring any bugs. 

Time to work on mamehooker.  :D

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:43 am »
Hmmmm...tried registering the dll and it says that the specified module at "C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll" failed to load. I dll'ed the dll and placed it in the system32 folder and still nothing.

I unchecked the p1 and p2 and send outputs to mamehooker and still 429.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:34:19 am by Trnzaddict »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
You probably need to calibrate them. 

While the lightgun games work out of the box, the analog guns do not.  Their default calibration is "nope I'm not moving"  scared the crap out of me when I was trying to get bel working. 

Also remember before that you said there wasn't a lua script for gunblade (there should be).  You better make sure you got a full install.  This would also be why your guns aren't firing... the cfg files didn't get copied over.

Yeah, that's why I changed my post.  I realized that just because I didn't see them in the original script folder, didn't mean that they weren't actually installed from TS2.  The calibration was definitely the issue.  Anyway, great work Howard.  All 6 are working like a charm.  I'll put together a video tonight of everything in action.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
One question about the outputs: is it possible to locate recoil outputs for the gun games that used them? I'm not sure its worth it. I'm wondering if the recoil stopped in the arcade when you had to reload in vcop and hotd. Would be great to implement. People keep shooting on screen because the recoil keeps going.

retrorepair

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 04:49:58 pm
Re: AW: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
One question about the outputs: is it possible to locate recoil outputs for the gun games that used them? I'm not sure its worth it. I'm wondering if the recoil stopped in the arcade when you had to reload in vcop and hotd. Would be great to implement. People keep shooting on screen because the recoil keeps going.

Only the positional gun games like Gunblade had recoil. HOTD and VCOP did not. I believe Howard had added the Gunblade feedback motor output.

I'm getting 429 error too on win7 x64. I can't seem to register that dll though, says it's not there even when I added it to system32 folder.

*EDIT* I had to add it to the syswow64 folder to register it, no idea why. Now it's working but not loading m2emu. I'll press on.

*EDIT 2* Didn't have the rom in the model2 roms folder  ::) Works fine now!

I did notice the emulator running much slower with TS2 enabled however. It did with my own app I made for model2 outputs but I thought it was just my poor coding skills. I guess it's just something we have to live with.

Great work anyway howard, can't wait to finally play gunblade properly!

*EDIT 3* Ok, seems I jumped the gun (haw haw), while it all seems to work ok, it can't launch the game from the command line. TS2 sits there saying "launching" but never does. All is well if I launch the game manually but that's a bit of an issue for frontend use. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:53:27 am by retrorepair »
My arcade racing setup:
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/retrorepair

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »
The slowness is actually something somebody else mentioned that I looked into last night. 

I've got output broadcasting turned on, but mamehooker doesn't support it yet.  So it's constantly timing out.  Unchecking the output box will speed things up.  I didn't notice it because I'm running the unreleased verison of mamehooker and when the outputs connect, there isn't a delay.  So unchecking your outputs box (for now) will speed things up. 

RR:  It sounds like you are trying to launch the games via ts2.  You are doing it backwards.... launch the games via model 2 and model2's scripts will launch ts2. You should never get a launching message from ts2 unless you are trying a pc game (which you CAN launch)  I can confirm that things work fine from the command line because that's how I did my testing. 

Endprodukt:  Like RR said, the lightgun games didn't have outputs, or if they did, they were hardware only and thus didn't have a output logic bit for me to read.  Gunblade had on/off rumble motors.  Bel also had outputs, but I can't find them (the bel driver is seriously lacking in some places).  There are ways to fake it via mamehooker, but that's a tutorial for another day. 

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
Re: AW: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 06:19:21 pm »

Only the positional gun games like Gunblade had recoil. HOTD and VCOP did not. I believe Howard had added the Gunblade feedback motor output.

I'm getting 429 error too on win7 x64. I can't seem to register that dll though, says it's not there even when I added it to system32 folder.

*EDIT* I had to add it to the syswow64 folder to register it, no idea why. Now it's working but not loading m2emu. I'll press on.

*EDIT 2* Didn't have the rom in the model2 roms folder  ::) Works fine now!

I did notice the emulator running much slower with TS2 enabled however. It did with my own app I made for model2 outputs but I thought it was just my poor coding skills. I guess it's just something we have to live with.

Great work anyway howard, can't wait to finally play gunblade properly!

*EDIT 3* Ok, seems I jumped the gun (haw haw), while it all seems to work ok, it can't launch the game from the command line. TS2 sits there saying "launching" but never does. All is well if I launch the game manually but that's a bit of an issue for frontend use. Any ideas?

Working finally. Thankyou Retro Repair. That dxvb8 file needed to be in my syswow64 folder before it would register properly.

No, everything else should be a walk in the park. What an ordeal.

Howard, before you release 1.3, to save alot of win7 users headaches I would add this is the readme about the dll and having to register it!

Well, I'm off to calibrate.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
It's already in there for the next release.  Not that it will matter, there are always some people that don't read the instructions.  ;)

Found some minor bugs that I'll address in the next release.  Basically stcc and stcce and their memcfg files were backwards and there was another minor bug related to the special output system they use.  So if you run into problems with those games this is why. 

Even if it's a fake recoil, it would be nice to have a way to do a recoil for the lightgun games that doesn't work when out of bullets.  So I fired up the old art money program and went to searching. 

I've already found the bullet count for vcop and vcop 2.  I'll look for hotd in a second.  The idea would be you'd write a script in mamehooker to only fire a recoil signal in mamehooker if the trigger is pulled, reload is NOT pulled and the bullet value is greater than zero.  Not exactly plug and play, but it would work. 

I won't add these into the main program until I've gotten the mamehooker release out of the way.  They won't do anything right now anyway.  I'm taking a break for a while though.  I got ZombiU for xmas and I still haven't played it.  Sometimes it's fun to muck about with the programs a little (like today) but I'm burnt out for the kind of serious coding it would take to do a mamehooker release.  So I'll start next week or this weekend probably. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »
Update:

I found hotd's bullet counts as well. Piece of cake really. 

I've been thinking that I might add some more options to the model 2 installer.  Right now I create a script for EVERY game.  If you are running mamehooker this is necessary.  90% of the games have at least some sort of output.  If you have no intention of running mamehooker though, you really only need 6 scripts for the gun games. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »
Great. I guess this would mean a complete rebuild of my guns though as their recoil is triggered through aimtrak. Recoil is only working while shooting on screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »
Well if you could talk to Andy and convince him to release a firmware update for his guns you wouldn't have to. 

If the aimtrack shows up as a standard HID input device (I'm assuming it does) mamehooker already has the ability to write to generic hid devices.  I would just need a PID/VID for the guns and the bytes to send.  He could expand the outputs to some other pins as well.  Terminator 2 and many of the analog gun games have leds on the guns that I've already hooked up in mame. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »
Sometimes I surprise myself.

I thought about the fake recoil problem and decided it might be nice to be able to broadcast the trigger/reload positions to mamehooker.  I've got to keep track of those values anyway, it's just a matter of sending them over. 

The output system already has support for custom functions "swp" and "swd" (steering wheel power and direction respectively) due to the odd way sega racers encode the force feedback values. 

In the memcfg these racers have the usually numeric "BitMask" value set to a string like so

BitMask=swp|0|100|101|200

The values are unimportant, but I decided to add to this function the positional data so a entry of

BitMask=pos|shoot1

Will send the status of the player 1 trigger.  But normally a output looks up an address... in this case I'm just sending over a value from the ts2 program, so the address entry is in the memcfg is worthless.  So what I decided to do is use the address as an optional conditional value.  If a memory address is provided, the output can't be set to 1 if the memory address returns a zero value. 

So if you take those addresses I mentioned last post that have the bullet count, and plug those into the memory address option, the fake recoil value won't turn on if you are out of bullets!  Also since most of the games don't set the bullet value to 6 until the game starts, it won't recoil if you are in the attract mode either!

I tried it out in vcop and it works great.  The only hitch (which is intentional due to the analog gun games) is that if you hold down the trigger, the recoil output stays a 1.  This is correctable in mamehooker though. 

*edit*

I should also mention that none of this is model 2 specific.  So it could be used to add recoil to the pc games as well.  Recoil on HOTD3 sure would be nice.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:49:23 pm by Howard_Casto »

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:58 pm »
So all gun games are done, BUT...Question: Guys with Aimtraks, (and myself)  for Behind Enemy Lines, the missile button. Our secondary fire buttons on Aimtraks are seen as joystick buyttons.
Now Howard you said do not remap anything in Model 2 itself besides for p1 and p2 and coin buttons. Can we map this missile button or how are we supposed to do this? TS2 allows the guns either to be seen as mice or joysticks.

Also, when running M2 in TS2 mode, it gobbles up all my mice, including my trackball which I use to navigate in windows. Model 2 does not allow control remapping unless the game is running. How can I make TS2 release my trackball mouse so I can at least remap the stuff we are allowed to?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »
So all gun games are done, BUT...Question: Guys with Aimtraks, (and myself)  for Behind Enemy Lines, the missile button. Our secondary fire buttons on Aimtraks are seen as joystick buyttons.
Now Howard you said do not remap anything in Model 2 itself besides for p1 and p2 and coin buttons. Can we map this missile button or how are we supposed to do this? TS2 allows the guns either to be seen as mice or joysticks.

You need to go into the Aimtrak utility program and map the alternate button to Right Mouse Button.  I just tested it and it works fine.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:54 pm »
What he said, but strictly speaking you CAN remap the buttons in model 2, I just said not to because obviously ts2's faking of a keypress won't do anything if you've got it set to something else in model 2.   Strictly speaking, it wouldn't do any good anyway.  Bel's inputs have always been hardcoded to the mouse in m2.  I had to bypass the input system entirely.

Remapping inputs in model 2 is a pain unfortunately.  I attempted to automate the process, but there's really no easy way. 

(This will be in the new readme btw)

To do it:

1.  rename your scripts folder to something else.  This will prevent ts2 from launching
2.  in your emulator.ini, set UseRawInput to 0

Now you can launch the game and nothing will work correctly, but you can go into the menu and change your inputs. 
Just remember to rename the scripts folder back and turn UseRawInput back on.

For games that don't use the mouse, you won't have to go through all this nonsense... just the gun games. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:19 pm »
Well, here are the games in action:

I will play around with Virtual On when I get some time.