Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder  (Read 105393 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:04 pm »
Ok guys, it's out!

Here's the thing.... this app isn't exactly user friendly and due to the way it works and there isn't much I can do about it.  I'll make some "for dummies" instructions at a later date, but for now, read the readme.txt from top to bottom.  Then do it a second time.  A third wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Also this is the very first public release.  Consider it BETA.  Things are bound to pop up, and we'll deal with them as they come. 

That being said, enjoy!

http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/index.php

retrorepair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 04:49:58 pm
Re: Troubleshooter 2: Shoot Harder
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:58 am »
Gunblade video coming up :)

Good man, can't wait to try it out!
My arcade racing setup:
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/retrorepair

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:20 am »
I've played around with it for a couple hours but I think I'm gonna have to wait for the "For Dummies" instructions.  I just can't get it to work.  After I install I get a RunTime error '429' (ActiveX component can't create object) when I launch the game. The crosshairs work but it functions the same as far as using my mouse and/or Aimtrak.

ShankyMcStabber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 02:48:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:25:38 am »
From the bottom of my heart, big thanks to you Howard (and Ramjet) for all the work you guy put into getting the extra gun to work in SM2 games.  Just reading your thread made my head hurt, so it is clear there was no "easy" fix but you guys did it anyway in your spare time (and for free)!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:49:19 am »
Guys, there is a bug in my generated lua scripts.  It should take about two seconds to fix.  I'll get back to you. 

DarthMarino:  A can't create object error is usually caused by a missing dll or support file.  You have the visual studio 6 runtime files installed correct?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:41 am »
Ok I fixed that bit. 

I generate a stub lua file that launches the REAL lua file for the model 2 games.  When generating the script, I forgot to encapsulate the rom name in quotes. 

Oops. 

Download the 1.1 version at my homepage and re-run the setup.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:26:12 am »
DarthMarino:  A can't create object error is usually caused by a missing dll or support file.  You have the visual studio 6 runtime files installed correct?

It's hard to say.  I tried installing it but I get the "this program might not have installed correctly" message.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
 :badmood:  Stuck working all weekend and will be lucky to find an hour or two free to test.

I can't wait to play gunblade with my positional gun.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:51 am »

It's hard to say.  I tried installing it but I get the "this program might not have installed correctly" message.

Then run the setup as administrator.  ;)

Honestly the program doesn't use anything out of the ordinary.  It uses a ton of api calls though, so if you are using a stripped down version of xp or something, it's unlikely it (or any of my projects really) will work. 

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:34:44 am »
I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:18 am »
TS2 doesn't work for me in M2.

Here is what happens:

Can only move in diagonals with both guns (top left to bottom right) in HOTD, VCOP and VCOP2. I can only shoot in HOTD. VCOP 1+2 doesn't register any triggering at all. Tried with a fresh install and got the same results. I tried it through TS2`s Model 2 Testmode with rawmode activated and deactivated. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:12 am »
Darth Marino :  That's what I run, so I'm not sure what you are missing. 

Endprodukt Sounds like you haven't calibrated in the model 2 menu.  If it's a fresh install then the nvram files aren't there, so the guns won't move properly even without the troubleshooter.   

You haven't given me enough information btw.... what kind of guns are you using ect....

Raw input needs to be activated in model2's emulator.ini and the ids set to a number higher than all of your mouse devices for buttons to work in vcop and vcop 2.  TS2 attempts to do this for you automatically. 

Also make sure you have the right ids set in ts2.  When running a game in windowed mode, you can double click on the icon in the task bar to make the ts2 debug window appear, when you move your gun (assuming it's IR), you should see the values change in the window.  If not then you have the wrong ids set. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:06:30 am »
Tried another fresh install and now it TS2 says "runtime error: 76, cannot find path"?

I'm using 2 aimtraks.

yakk11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2023, 07:41:58 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:01 am »
TS2 doesn't work for me in M2.

Here is what happens:

Can only move in diagonals with both guns (top left to bottom right) in HOTD, VCOP and VCOP2. I can only shoot in HOTD. VCOP 1+2 doesn't register any triggering at all. Tried with a fresh install and got the same results. I tried it through TS2`s Model 2 Testmode with rawmode activated and deactivated.

I am having the same problem with my AIMTRAKs.  I was playing yesterday morning before installing TS2.  I haven't touched the nvram files.  Kind of confused on the device ID thing?  Thanks for all of your hard work!

UPDATE: OK, fresh install.  Now I don't have control at all.  I noticed raw input is set to 1.  This is tricky stuff so I may just wait until a tutorial comes out or something.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:26:34 am by yakk11 »

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 11:24:17 am »
Okay... it's still giving me the Cannot find path thing...

But I can confirm that it's not the calibration. Even though TS2 wont install until the end now, the guns will still register in M2. Still only in diagonals... I couldn't even calibrate ingame because the guns only move in diagonals.

It also seems like sometimes the game would register triggering, sometimes not. Right now hotd doesn't want me to shoot but it's working in VCOP.

EDIT: I checked TS2's icon and both guns are registered correctly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:28:54 am by Endprodukt »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:44 am »
Mame's ID numbers aren't necessarily the ones ts2 and model 2 uses.  I'm pretty sure mame reads them in reverse or something.  Don't quote me on that though, it's been a while since I've messed with mame.

Like I said, double-click on the ts2 icon make sure you see movement. 

It sounds like the aimtracks might not be reporting themselves correctly.  That's the only thing I can account for the movement anyway. 

I want you to try the attached app. 

Set your id numbers in the two boxes and click the command1 button.  Change the IDS to where it tracks both of your lightguns. (You'll have to close the app with the escape key each time you want to change them.) What I'm interested in are the x/y values it gives and the text in the text box

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:56 am »
There is only one box in the rawtest. And as I said: Both guns are registered by TS2 (icon).

EDIT: nope... two boxes... I'm on 640x480 on my cabinet.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:42:03 am by Endprodukt »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 11:41:45 am »
There is only one box in the rawtest.

Sounds like the old version of rawtest.
The box probably flew off the screen because it's being fed crazy high numbers by the aim-trak.
Try aiming only at the extreme upper left and see if it pops up.  (it will probably flicker around the screen).

How many mouse devices do you have plugged in?

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 11:42:46 am »
Right now: 2 Spinner, 2 Guns, 1 Trackball.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:07 am »
Okay... it's still giving me the Cannot find path thing...

But I can confirm that it's not the calibration. Even though TS2 wont install until the end now, the guns will still register in M2. Still only in diagonals... I couldn't even calibrate ingame because the guns only move in diagonals.

It also seems like sometimes the game would register triggering, sometimes not. Right now hotd doesn't want me to shoot but it's working in VCOP.

EDIT: I checked TS2's icon and both guns are registered correctly.

You guys are going to have to elaborate a little on "only in diagonals"  Do you mean it smoothly can go from the top left to the bottom right and any amount along that line?  or do you mean it either jumps to the absolute top/left or bottom right?

Ok now let me explain how the inputs work a little to help with that.  When ts2 installs the stuff for model 2, it copies over cfg files for hotd, vcop, vcop2, bel, gunblade and rchase 2. 

Essentially these cfg files are setup to block all buttons from p1 and p2.  Only the two triggers are mapped to the Z and A keys.  Now for all of the gun games, when the trigger is pulled, ts2 simply simulates a keypress for either z or a.  So it works like the old troubleshooter.  Obviously, if model2 doesn't have focus, key presses won't register.  Since the aimtracks show up as mice, clicking around while in windowed mode is bound not to work correctly. 

On top of that, vcop and vcop 2 have their own issues.  The only way I could block model2 input detection for those games was to turn on raw input for model2 and set the id numbers in the emulator.ini to numbers that are NOT the mice I'm using.  As I said, model 2 attempts to do this, but you might want to check manually.  If your guns are ids 3 and 4, for example, set the id to something nice and high like 6. 

You guys might want to use the input test menus in the games to determine if the triggers are actually being pulled, but the game just isn't registering them due to the aim issues.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 11:53:59 am »

The crosshair will move fluidly on a straight line from the top left to the bottom right depending on where I aim with the gun. The crosshair will not leave this line at all or register shots at other points BUT that line.
That's why I cant really calibrate ingame. Both guns work fine outside of m2/ts2 (as a mouse or with mame). TS2 will register both guns in the icon - also shoot and reload.Any more infos you need?

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 12:02:54 pm »
Okay... the behaviour is so random I could write something else all the time.

HOTD is not registering any triggers at all but both crosshairs are moving on a diagonal line.
VCOP 1 + VCOP will only register shots by gun 1, not gun 2 and will only move on the diagonal line.

Rawinput IS activated in m2's ini and tried to set the id's to 6, then to 7 and 8. no difference.

I don't feel comfortable with the fact TS2's setup wont finish and gives me a runtime error. I don't think the behaviour is related to that because it did the same when
the setup would finish... I'd still like to know why it's doing that.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:07:54 pm by Endprodukt »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
What about the rawtest app I sent?

Set the id numbers to the same ones that are working in ts2 and hit the command1 button

Is the tracking of the red and blue squares the same as in model 2?

The reason I ask is the EXACT same code is being used in the rawtest app as the troubleshooter.  They should behave the same. 

I've gotta go guys... anything else you find out post here, I'll check it later. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »
I can't test using the RAWINPUT because my cabinet is running at 640x480 and it's not showing me the second window. Anyone else with two aimtraks around?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »
Ok I'm back. 

I found the axis issue at least... it was a one character typo (UGGGGH!).

So you guys try this new exe. (You'll still need the previous install.) 

I haven't looked into the trigger issues yet and I don't know If I have time to do it today.  One thing at a time though.  One thing you can try....  as I said, I remap the triggers to Z and A.  You can try pressing those on the keyboard to see if it fires within troubleshooter.  If it does then it's something with the keypress simulation.  If it doesn't then the NOPs might be off or something. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 06:25:28 pm »
Guys I just came to a realization in regards to the button issue. 

You guys aren't trying to play the games after launching them in the model 2 setup menu are you?  Because the buttons aren't going to work that way.  As a matter of fact, I tried it and confirmed that they do NOT work that way.  It makes sense afterall... you just used troubleshooter to launch a game...that loads a script and calls another instance of troubleshooter.   

I put that in there as a way to easily disable raw input so your could edit your input settings in model 2... with raw input enabled you can't navigate model 2's menus.  It works for that, but not for playing the game. 

You'll have the same "buttons randomly not working" effect if you launch a game while another instance of troubleshooter is active. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »
Ok aside from the above issue (which DOES make a difference) I have been able to replicate the error at least.  (Not sure about the solution yet). 

The issue is with the single cpu exe only.  The multi cpu version does not have the error.  It occurs in vcop and vcop 2 only... HOTD is not affected afaik.  Running the emulator from a command line, you'll find that the inputs don't work.  Pressing f2 in game and going into the input menu, you'll find that you can't press the triggers for either gun.  You should be able to press the reload key though. 

What's happening is the game is blocking my simulated key presses for whatever reason.  Model2 itself IS detecting them though as I can redefine any key in model 2's config menu by clicking on it with the mouse.   

The most likely culprit is that the NOP has moved slightly. 

I'll look into it and get back to you, but there are other ways to send inputs, so it's not a biggie. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 07:47:21 pm »
Alright, as far as I can tell, I've fixed the vcop issue as well.  I appears to have been a typo in the memcfg for vcop and vcop2. 

Anyway, the new package (1.2) is on my homepage, so download it and let me know. 

yakk11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2023, 07:41:58 pm
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 11:16:52 pm »
Just got home for the night and tried the 1.2.  Everything works now!  Thank you so much!  I just have to readjust player 2 gun.  Do I have to turn raw input off to do that first?  Thank you for your hard work!!!   :applaud:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 12:00:20 am »
Well I'm glad it's working... released this thing 4 hours ago and got nothing but crickets.  ;)

Nah you should be fine just doing it in the game menu.  The cross hairs are actually useful for calibration. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 07:51:33 am »
Okay I've tested 1.2.

The crosshair problem is 100% solved for both guns. Awesome Howard!
I still have problems with the buttons.

VCOP 1+2: I can only shoot with P1
HOTD: I can't shoot with P1+P2

I've set ID's in the M2 ini to 8 and I'm using the multi cpu version. It might be related to the installation process though as I'm still getting the Runtime-Error 76 "cant find path" thing.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
I still haven't been successful in getting it to work.  As I mentioned I was getting the "429- can't create object" error for a while which may or may not be the reason it's not working for me. I believe I was getting the same error when Howard just made the changeable crosshair scripts and those worked fine despite the error.   I'm still not convinced I'm installing everything correctly. 

At one point when I was first fooling with it, I was getting error 76 (can't find path) from within Troubleshooter and once I created the folders CFG and Joycfg, this went away. I am currently getting this error when I launch Vcop instead of 429- hopefully a good sign.  Once I start the program, I can't see my mouse at all, so I can't go down to the TS icon.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:34:43 am »
Endprodukt:

If you are still getting errors with the install then everything isn't installing... it's as simple as that.  From your description it sounds like the cfg files aren't getting copied over. 

Like DarthMarino said, check to see if you have a CFG folder where model2 is installed.  If not then that is your problem... make the folder manually and run the setup again.   I'll see if I can confirm that this is causing the file error and fix it in the next release.   

If you are STILL having problems, you can copy the files over manually.... they are in m2setupfiles\CFG.

DarthMarino:

First off joycfg is for ts2's use, that doesn't get copied over.  Don't muck about in joycfg and memcfg, they aren't for human consumption yet.  ;)  The missing CFG folder might be the issue though, I'll look into it. 

I think you've totally hosed your install from constant testing.  There aren't many things that can give an invalid file error while running the actual program.  In your model2 folder there is an exe called TSStub.exe  That's what launches the troubleshooter.  It reads the file path from a file in the same folder called "ts2.cfg"  It's a plain text file generated when you run the setup that points back to the ts2 install folder.... Two lines.... the first is the path to ts2 and the second is ts2.exe  If you've moved ts2 since install  or somehow this file got messed up it could cause a path not found error. 

Regarding the 429 error, if you were getting it from a script then there is something wrong with your install of model 2 and/or windows.  Or your video card has issues, ect....  The scripts themselves aren't a program, they just manipulate things already in model 2. 

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:37 am »
Howard, I'm getting the 76 path not found. I configure in TS2.exe, run the model 2 setup helper, finds the path of Model 2 and installs the scripts. Then I go to launch  gunblade and that message pops up. I don't understand why it's saying can't find path. The setup helper verify's it sees Model 2.

EDIT: I looked on the ts2.cfg file in my Model 2 folder and it's reading:

F:\Hyperspin\Tools\TS2\
TS2.exe

So I tried changing it to:

F:\Hyperspin\Tools\TS2\TS2.exe

and instead of the 76 error now it's Runtime error 62:Input past end of file

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:01:44 am by Trnzaddict »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 11:04:45 am »
Read what I just posted above

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
Well I confirmed that model 2 doesn't come with a nvram folder, or a cfg folder and strangely enough, only the nvram folder is generated if you launch model 2. 

So that is most likely the file not found error you guys are getting in the setup.  I'll adjust the code accordingly, but you can fix it by manually creating a cfg folder for model 2 and THEN running the setup.  I don't do anything with the nvram folder so it should be ok.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:34 pm »
Now everything is working!!! Awesome!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 12:24:36 pm »
good

What did you do to fix it?

I just want you do post it to help everyone else. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »
As you said: It wasn't installing the CFG folder. After creating a cfg folder in the M2 folder it worked.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »
Read what I just posted above

No, it still does not work. Everything is installed correctly, and I tried it with a fresh install of Model 2.

Made a CFG folder, everything is there, and it still cannot find the path.

FYI I'm not a newbie here when it comes to this. Something is definetely wrong.

EDIT:OK, the reason it was saying this is the game I kept trying to play is Gunblade. There is no lua script for Gunblade. So, hotd does have a lua script, so I tried it with that. No more error messages, but there are no crosshairs and Model 2 does not detect and of my aimtrak presses.
I have 2 aimtraks and I have them marked as ir guns (mouse based) and they're id's as 1 for player 1 and 2 for player 2 because that's what they show up as in the Ultimarc Aimtrak utility.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:30:21 pm by Trnzaddict »