Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help with emudriver, and firepro v3800  (Read 4035 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:47 am
Need help with emudriver, and firepro v3800
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
So i was exited about buying an old cab with a 25 wells gadrner monitor to go back to the old crt or cga or arcade monitors, as i found emudriver and groovymame are pretty stable now, so i had an old 5450 laying around but found it didnt work, so i went out to buy an old card and could find anything but a bunch of firepro v3800, that dont have a vga port only a display port and dvi port , so i only had a display port to vga adapter so i  decided to give it a try. Now my first problem was, how do i treat this? as a legacy or as a newer one? so i started as a legacy mode, but things didnt work out well. following the guide as per http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1016#p1016  as i get to the end of part 2, i only got  picture but like divided on 3 parts and blurry, if i disable edid emulation i do get picture like in half like this

so i restarted everything and tried the newer mode and same result, if i leave both monitors conected so i can use the lcd to read what im doing i really get nowhere and end up on the same situation, now i know the monitor do displays 15khz on the display port as i did  run GM and this came out,
Anyway this is how the ports on my card are arranged   so if anyone could help me to first let me know if i should treath this as a legacy card or a new card please and what do i need to do in order to put together that split image, thanks for any help. Ps i dont mind to reinstall windows 7x64 from scratch again so i can start over, and start fresh, thanks for any help.

abispac

• Offline Offline
Re: Need help with emudriver, and firepro v3800
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:54 am »
quick update, heres why i know the card can display 15khs,
flashed card with atom15 and it loks like this

after installing emudriver i get

and after messing with the monitor setting this is what i get

i even mess wuth wmaker blind and do click excatly as the guide , it seems to install the modes but i get the same result, 3 images of the desktop
thanks for any help.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:41:05 am »
Two images side by side is 31kHz on a 15kHz monitor. Three is 45kHz. It's not good for the monitor to leave it running that way, but it happens to all of us unexpectedly from time to time.

You've either set something wrong, or that card won't work with crt_emudriver. Plug in an LCD when you get the side by side images, and see what modes are listed in ArcadeOSD, mb. Make sure to consider hidden modes as well, because if you can't turn EDID emulation on, window will pull modes from the monitor's EDID.

The firepro cards can emulate an EDID with their normal drivers, IIRC, but they're not even legacy cards, i don't think they've ever been supported by crt_emudriver specifically. Sometimes you can get away with mobility versions of supported cards, or mb APU versions, but I reckon these are going to be too different.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:49 am »
Two images side by side is 31kHz on a 15kHz monitor. Three is 45kHz. It's not good for the monitor to leave it running that way, but it happens to all of us unexpectedly from time to time.

You've either set something wrong, or that card won't work with crt_emudriver. Plug in an LCD when you get the side by side images, and see what modes are listed in ArcadeOSD, mb. Make sure to consider hidden modes as well, because if you can't turn EDID emulation on, window will pull modes from the monitor's EDID.

The firepro cards can emulate an EDID with their normal drivers, IIRC, but they're not even legacy cards, i don't think they've ever been supported by crt_emudriver specifically. Sometimes you can get away with mobility versions of supported cards, or mb APU versions, but I reckon these are going to be too different.
hey thanks for the help,
let me see if i understand, so in the first post the image was at 31khz and GM did work at 15khz, so clearly the card was working at 15khz, but the drivers somehow mess the whole thing and render the card unusable, or i simply not doing something right and thats why i get that result, am i right? today ill try some other drivers with a dvi to vga adapter to see what result i get but i also will just get an hd card to get better result, any more ideas are wellcome, thanks alot.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:11:56 pm »
i ended up buying an old hd 7450 and all went smooth got it working now, now time to find a good front end,

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:39:34 am »
That was fast! Glad to hear things went smoothly this time.

I would guess that all video cards are capable of outputting 15kHz in some form. It's a matter of having the right drivers, and there really aren't guaranteed ones any for Windows besides Ultimarc's still-sometimes-problematic AVGA driver, and the far superior crt_emudriver which works properly with GroovyMAME.

Firepro and Quadro cards have different Windows drivers to retail cards, and these can be made to do... certain things. Like output 15kHz. It's not always simple to do that, though.