Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project RetroCade - FINISHED  (Read 119172 times)

EMDB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Scratch Build: Project RetroCade - In progress...
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »
Did some short test driving. The wheels and levelers are awesome. It moves around easily once tilted to the back but when standing it is rock solid.

The total height and control panel height (although still played with a keyboard) is ok but when playing the monitor is too low. The angle seems fine. I can very easily move it up a bit though, it's just mounted by 4 machine screws in the monitor back plate as the monitor has standard VESA 100 x 100 mounting...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:46:41 pm by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »
Today I did some small modifications to the cabinet. First of all I had to correct a design flaw: The cabinet could not be tilted enough to move it around. The back of the bottom construction is not the absolute back as the bottom back plate (actually a door) will be mounted behind it. Therefore the wheels did not stick out enough. I fixed it by removing a small part of the bottom side panel at the back. Now I can tilt it almost horizontal...

While I was busy I added some holes for the pinball buttons and some extra admin buttons and added an extra cable guidance hole in the plate in the middle of the cabinet.

Then I checked the speakers and marquee light mounting. Perfect fit.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:47:30 pm by EMDB »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 04:10:47 pm »
Looks great but you may have a hard time fitting the T molding around those sharp angles. Skimmed the posts so don't know if this has been mentioned before.
Click a pic for a video tour 

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 04:35:00 pm »
Looks great but you may have a hard time fitting the T molding around those sharp angles. Skimmed the posts so don't know if this has been mentioned before.
I like the sharp angles but I am not sure the T-molding will fit. I plan to try and if it does not fit I will round the corners a bit. I read cutting away the part which go in the wood at the corners helps making real sharp corners. I'll make them as sharp as possible. Thanks for mentioning though...

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
It is possible to navigate 90degree corners with T-molding, and have it look nice.  Ensure the molding is warm and pliable prior to installing, this will make it conform easier.  Take a look at my build, I have exterior 90degree corners (not rounded at all) that worked out perfectly.  Interior corners would be trick, but still doable.  Good luck!

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=129725.0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:49:16 pm by a1pharm »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 05:02:29 pm »
That's good to know a1pharm. I never had any luck with T molding and angles, it always bulged and never lay flat.  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
Look at the snips I used with my T-molding.  I showed close-ups of how I snipped some of the ribbing off the molding.  You will almost always need to take off more ribbing than you think.  The 3mm section of molding that navigates the corner should be completely devoid of ribbing (you may even want to "dig" the ribbing out in that area - carefully) to prevent improper laying of the molding around the corner.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
Some more beta testing. It seems the cabinet has just the perfect height for my kids... With some help from a chair  ;)

After a long evening of puttying all screw holes I wanted to use my morning off to sand down everything smoothly. Unfortunately my sanding machine stopped working after a few minutes.  :angry:  That will delay my tight schedule. I want my cab to be primed and fully working on April 28th when we celebrate my daughter's 5th birthday. My relatives pushed me as they want to revive their youth by playing pac-man or other retro games.

So today after work I bought a new sanding machine. Our local hardware store had 25% off on all electrical tools. In half an hour I had everything smoothened.

Tonight I will fill the remaining small irregularities and next weekend I will re-do the sanding. Leaves me with one week to apply 2 layers of primer. In parallel I applied the first layer of primer to the CP yesterday. Tonight the second layer so I can wire all buttons and joysticks this weekend.

I received 2 plates of 3mm fully transparent plexi for the marquee. I need to find some local replacement for the retainers a I think the shipping from the US is way too expensive compared to it's price. I also received a sample of 3mm grey 49% transmission high gloss plexi-glass (http://www.plexiglas-shop.com/NL/en/gs-allround-4aql41br8z4/plexiglas-gs-allround-grey-7c14-gt-dic33ry3pgp~p.html). It looks great when covering my monitor. I will definitely use that one in my cab!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:48:58 pm by EMDB »

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
Looking like it is coming along very nicely mate. Some very nice work here. Hope to see it finished soon. :)

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:32 pm »
I added a frame to the front panel to be able to mount the coin door. 12 mm was too thin to hold the clamps.

Then I wired the CP. Every micro switch connection is soldered and has an isolation sleeve.

I played a bit connected to my desktop computer. First impression is great. The Mag sticks are nice, button layout is great. I'm considering using the original red-yellow-green-blue coloring for the bottom row of buttons although I like the clean red and blue sections too. I never controlled MAME using joysticks/buttons, I have to get used to using my left hand for the stick and the right hand for the buttons, on a keyboard it is just the other way around.

I noticed I triggered Windows to rotate the screen with some key combinations while playing a 2 player fighting game  ???  I have to look into disabling this in Windows or define other keys in MAME. For now I use the defaults in MAME and the iPAC. The tool to program the iPAC is really nice. I will use the shift to get some hidden features like Windows Volume control, bypass the coin insert and maybe others.

Next up: applying two layers of primer to the cabinet. I see some people doing the full cabinet, inside and outside. I was planning to only do the visible parts.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:54:47 pm by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:51 am »
UPDATE: Sticky keys are very easily to disable in the Windows Control Panel. Furthermore it seems changing the orientation of your screen using the keyboard is a Video driver thing. I could disable the Hot keys (e.g. Ctrl-Alt+Arrow keys) in my Intel Graphics & Media Control Panel.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:47 pm »
Sanded and fully cleaned with ammonia...  :dizzy:

Then applied the first layer of primer.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:55:24 pm by EMDB »

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »
I added a frame to the front panel to be able to mount the coin door. 12 mm was too thin to hold the clamps.

Then I wired the CP. Every micro switch connection is soldered and has an isolation sleeve.

I played a bit connected to my desktop computer. First impression is great. The Mag sticks are nice, button layout is great. I'm considering using the original red-yellow-green-blue coloring for the bottom row of buttons although I like the clean red and blue sections too. I never controlled MAME using joysticks/buttons, I have to get used to using my left hand for the stick and the right hand for the buttons, on a keyboard it is just the other way around.

I noticed I triggered Windows to rotate the screen with some key combinations while playing a 2 player fighting game  ???  I have to look into disabling this in Windows or define other keys in MAME. For now I use the defaults in MAME and the iPAC. The tool to program the iPAC is really nice. I will use the shift to get some hidden features like Windows Volume control, bypass the coin insert and maybe others.

Next up: applying two layers of primer to the cabinet. I see some people doing the full cabinet, inside and outside. I was planning to only do the visible parts.

The wiring and neatness of it is a huge plus for me. For something that isn't going to be seen when its built its easy to rush this bit. I've got to say, that is some very nice wiring under that CP. Beautiful my friend. Attention to detail 10/10.. Subbed this build now!!!!!

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »
very nice :)

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 02:41:59 pm »
CP mounting:

When mounted it can be reached (and photographed ;D ) via the drawer opening on the front below the CP.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:56:07 pm by EMDB »

misterbeeez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2013, 02:01:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 03:58:36 pm »
My next CP will definitely be hooked like this. My actual design will require screw on top, wich suck....  :embarassed:

Your cab looks great by the way!

Ben

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:04 pm »
Sanded with very fine sandpaper, applied some more putty on last irregularities, sanded again, cleaned with ammonia :dizzy:

The surface is really smooth now. Then applied the 2nd layer of primer. This was much faster and more easy than the first one. The result looks very good. I think if this was the final layer of paint I would have been very happy.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:08:25 pm by EMDB »

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 05:48:52 pm »
Almost there mate. Like I said before followed this from the start and cant wait to see it finished. Very nice work. Love that wiring under the CP  :notworthy:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:40 pm »
I envy you guys who can paint like that. When I paint, it ends up not as nice as I would like. I sand, I use foam rollers and good paint, but still...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:22 pm »
I hear you yotsuya, I am the same way..  :banghead:

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Scratch Build: Project RetroCade - Playable...
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »
I beat my deadline by 2 days. Retrocade is far from finished but playable. After the 2nd layer of primer I mounted the speakers, monitor, CP, PC and coin door. Wired the coin door lighting to the power supply and connected the switch to the iPAC.

When configuring the iPAC for the coin switch I noticed the shift function did not work nor did some other buttons. After some checking I noticed I had the ground and connections swapped on the micro switches.  :banghead: After I corrected this everything worked just fine.

Then it was time... The moment I was working towards for weeks. I launched my favorite game series all times (Metal Slug), took a 50 euro cent coin, dropped it in the slot and...  OMG, What a great feeling!  ;D

Now I'm ready for my daughter's birthday party coming Sunday  :cheers:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:09:17 pm by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Scratch Build: Project RetroCade - Playable...
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2013, 04:51:13 pm »
The party went great.  :cheers:

All kids (and most adults) liked my machine. Several dads were already asked to build one too ;D I guess if the joysticks can handle a dozen kids from 6 to 12 playing the whole afternoon the mounting is firm enough. After a short holiday I will continue: painting, marquee lighting and mounting with some kind of retainers, plexi in front of the monitor, T-molding and start thinking about the artwork...

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:26 pm »
When I returned from a short holiday (at Tenerife) I found a package delivered at my neighbors. It was the mini-SLG scan lines generator (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128970.0.html) I ordered a while ago to improve the genuine look and relief the PC a bit. I connected it, disabled scanlines in MAME and fired up some of my favorite games. They look awesome. The cascaded connectors (PC - DVI->VGA converter  - miniSLG - VGA cable) are a bit long...

The appearance is a bit hard to capture with the camera but it gives an impression:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:10:47 pm by EMDB »

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »
coming along nicely. And how much do I like those sexy scan lines... :P :notworthy: ::)

Angus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 11:09:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:24 am »
Very nice looking..

Looks like a great project that should get alot of use

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 03:02:46 pm »
Today I picked up a new audio amplifier on marktplaats (Dutch national ebay). The one I bought originally had some zero level noise and was not very powerful. It sounded a bit poor. The new one is a Clarion APA2101 car amplifier and is very powerful and punchy  ;D  Even the connections are way better. I'm very happy with this upgrade, especially since I might use the cab as a jukebox once it is finished.

Size does matter...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:11:29 pm by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:18 pm »
As I don't have much time currently just some minor progress:

I'm looking for a place to order marquee retainers. Preferable in Europe.

I started thinking about the design of the Artwork. I found some experienced help. I will share when we have some more intermediate results.

I played around adding support for Future Pinball. It's not that bad of an experience. I did not wire the pinball buttons on the side panel yet so I mapped them on the P1/P2 buttons 1 for now. I'm in doubt about adding extra buttons to support Nudge. I don't think I will play pinball that much and don't want my cab to turn into a pimped carnival attraction. I want the tables I am going to add to my launched from my Hyperspin frontend. Although there is no out of the box support I got it to work (not perfect yet, the table does not always get keyboard focus after being launched). Furthermore I can't find any decent Main Menu and System HyperSpin themes for Future Pinball. If anybody has some sources for these please let me know...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:10:15 am by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
After playing some weeks I wondered how other joysticks would feel. The Mag Sticks are really not bad and although it is easy enough to switch from 4 to 8-way and back from the top I started to think it should be automated. My kids and guests don't understand the difference between 4 and 8-way. In fact they don't care. But they DO notice a game is unplayable if the stick is set wrong.

So I ordered an Ultra Stick 360 and a Sanwa JLF to get a feeling of the Japanese sticks. As I also wanted to see how a Neo Geo colored set of buttons looked on my CP I ordered some yellow and green buttons too.

I was curious how modular my joystick mount was. I already knew I did not take into account larger mounting plates unfortunately but at least the Sanwa has the same plate dimensions as the Mag Stick.

Original Mag Stick mount:

The Sanwa fits just fine but the connector is in the way of the mounting plate. So I removed it and soldered the wires directly on the PCB:

Placed the filler blocks again and remounted my custom plate:

Tada...

I swapped the buttons. My first impression was not that bad but I think it will look bad once the CP artwork is in place. We will see:

I programmed the iPac so the Sanwa stick and right buttons also control Player 1. I asked my test team to play some games:

Both my son and I were not very impressed by the Sanwa. The travel feels longer than the Mag Stick. It reacts fast but is is less restricted. We also both prefer the bat top over the ball top. I ordered an addition bat top for the Sanwa but still the Mag stick won. Now I'm even more curious about the Ultra Stick but I have to make another CP with larger undermount to also fit the Ultra stick (and maybe even a Servo Stick in the future). I want to get a CP setup which can hold pretty much every stick. I was close but not there yet ;-)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:13:10 pm by EMDB »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 05:42:46 pm »
 :woot

Looks great.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:32 pm »
Finally did the marquee retainer. As I didn't want to spent $40 on shipping only for the original retainers which can't be found anywhere in Europe I was looking for an alternative. I found a strip intended to hang posters on a wall in a local hardware store. I carefully tried to fold them out and that seemed to work just fine so I bought 1 length of 2.5 meter (about 100") for just 3 euro (about $2).

At home I unfolded it until it had the right angle (just below 45 degrees) and drilled some holes.

I used inserts on the top and bottom of the marquee area and mounted the retainers holding the two sheets of 3mm clear plexi. I just need to get some black flat head machine screws for a perfect finish. I am very happy with the final result  :)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:14:46 pm by EMDB »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 07:07:19 am »
Looks great! :cheers:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
Very nice build.
Great detail in finishing this cab.

My first build had a sanwa stick and worked very good.
My second one I used the same as you did. the T-Stick.

It was a bid stiff to use compare to the Sanwa.

Now with my Popeye Nintendo bartop I used the Sanwa again but with this one on it.
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Joysticks-Restrictor-GT-Y-JLF_641.html

If you edit it to your Sanwa stick, the kids will feel the difference  :cheers: 

Nice avatar you have ...  :laugh2: Dirk Jan .. I love the comic in the Veronica  :D

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 03:26:31 am »
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Joysticks-Restrictor-GT-Y-JLF_641.html

If you edit it to your Sanwa stick, the kids will feel the difference  :cheers: 

Nice avatar you have ...  :laugh2: Dirk Jan .. I love the comic in the Veronica  :D
Hi,

I did add that exact Restrictor to the Sanwa. It feels a bit better but I (we) still think the travel is too long and it could be a bit more stiff.

Indeed Dirk Jan is a funny cartoon ;-)

I replaced the screws for the retainer with flat black ones. Now it really looks good  :applaud:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:16:21 pm by EMDB »

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2013, 05:57:47 am »
I'm considering doing a DK tribute as that was my favorite game ages ago. And I still like it. Original marquee, custom sideart (I don't like the original one, just a first try) and a adapted CP (text on top right buttons should be BACK - PAUSE - MENU - SHIFT). And use White t-molding. Maybe even the DK bezel.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:16:53 pm by EMDB »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 05:43:46 pm »
Sideart questions:

Why is Jumpman above/behind DK?

Shouldn't DK be throwing the barrels at him instead of away from him?

How would it look with Jumpman flipped horizontally and moved to the bottom left of the grouping?

Scott

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »
I stopped my DK tribute artwork and went back to my SF-kinda look. I got an initial CP design from my designer. The arrows looked too small and the button surroundings okay on screen but I decided to print and cut them and tried them on my actual CP just to be sure. And I was completely wrong... Arrows were fine but the button surroundings way too big. I even tried to print a slightly bigger arrow set but it was already too big. Back to the drawing table...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:17:35 pm by EMDB »

JOHN HOWARD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2016, 10:10:17 pm
  • na na na na na na....
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »
Very nice build so far, shame allot of your earlier pictures won't display anymore. Any chance you have a link to where you got the arrows for your magstick from?

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2013, 05:39:48 am »
Very nice build so far, shame allot of your earlier pictures won't display anymore. Any chance you have a link to where you got the arrows for your magstick from?
All my pictures are in the same public dropbox folder so they should all work just fine (just checked). The arrows are created by my designer and are not public.

JOHN HOWARD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2016, 10:10:17 pm
  • na na na na na na....
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »
Right you are, must of been a dodge internet connection a the time, Cheers.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Scratch Build: Project RetroCade - Paint it black...
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:36 am »
I finally got some time to pick up the project. I first had to disassemble the working cabinet completely. Then I rounded the sharp edges a bit just to be sure the t-molding can be applied easily.

I then again sanded, cleaned with amonia  :dizzy: and applied the first layer of black paint.

Wow... It looks completely different now  :applaud:

I also finally decided on the theme after going back and forth between all kind of ideas. It's going to be a Metal slug meets StreetFighter style. I think both cartoonish styles match quite nice although the games are quite different. Here's a very rough first version of the marquee (don't mind the characters behind the primary ones ;) ):

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:18:54 pm by EMDB »