Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical orientation problem with new GroovyMame Linux  (Read 2548 times)

ufoufo512

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 02:09:41 pm
Vertical orientation problem with new GroovyMame Linux
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:06:02 pm »
I installed the new GroovyMame ISO and it works great. However I run in to a one problem with vertical games.

I have a rotating monitor and for now and then I change the orientation. After I have rotated the monitor, I keep rotating AdvMenu until it is orientated correctly and previously I also had extra arguments for Mame emulator in Advmenu config file. The arguments I used to add were: "%o[,-ror,-flipx,-rol] %o[,,-flipy,]" The arguments are taken from original Advmenu documentation at http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-advmenu.html (see section 5.1.2).

Now with new version of GroovyMame ISO I found out that that was not needed anymore. The Advmenu now does the stuff correctly automatically. In fact having the extra arguments ended up giving me always wrong orientation, vertical game screen on horizontal monitor orientation and vice versa.

Without the arguments, it seemed to pick correct orientation. 1942 and 19xx both displayed full screen, correctly orientated vertical screen. However, when I next tried Xevious and Bombjack, those games were displayed upside down on vertical monitor. I quickly checked the the dip-switches, they were set correctly to upright monitor, so it is not that.

After googling a bit, I found out that this might be what real PCBs of these games do as well, but I would think that in Mame it should at least be optional.

Does anyone know if this is a baseline Mame, GroovyMame or Advmenu issue? And preferably, how to fix it?

Edit: It seems that I can rotate the game using Mame UI menu and the setting will be saved, so that is a work-around for the games that are rotated upside down.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:24:29 pm by ufoufo512 »

ufoufo512

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 02:09:41 pm
Re: Vertical orientation problem with new GroovyMame Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:31:46 pm »
Those games that are incorrectly rotated show "Rotate: CCW90" when I access the Mame's build in menu and select "Video Options". I can fix the incorrect game display by changing it to "Rotate: CW90", however the build in menu will then be upside-down. Not a big problem for me, just to let you know.

Also worth mentioning that I had just wiped the old installation and copied the ROMs over the network to my cab. Every game was started for the first time and so there wasn't any previous configuration files for specific games.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Vertical orientation problem with new GroovyMame Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »
GM needs to manage rotation options internally to calculate the right modeline depending on the monitor orientation. This is what makes on the fly recalculation of modelines possible when you rotate a game from the ui menu, but as a side effect it just presents the raw orientation reported by MAME, whatever it was in the original pcb. I'll check if there's something that can be done.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi