Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2020  (Read 390231 times)

machyavel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2016, 10:23:52 am
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2013-02-24
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »
Thank you Calamity  :)
I will try other systems then.

Otherwise, I've been playing the whole night with custom crt_ranges in mame.ini after having read some documentation about how CRTs work (wikipedia) and also a nicely done article about modelines (XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO). However it's mostly explained using resolution values as 564 567 569 611.

I understand that crt_ranges is the same said another way but please confirm whether I'm right or wrong: the VfrontPorch in mame.ini is a timing and equals the gap between 564 and 567 in the example above? And the same goes for VSyncPulse which equals the gap between 567 and 569 etc?

In the end, I've found I could trigger the vertical NTSC/PAL compensation thing on my old Philips TV (1989/90) running R-Type, by forcing the Hfreq (compensation triggered @15.8 kHz and above) while running at native res. and Vfreq (55Hz). Else with lower Hfreq, I always get the huge vertical overscan.

What's bugging me is, when I set the monitor on PAL in mame.ini the compensation IS triggered while Hfreq is at 15.6 kHz...
I'm curious to see the crt_range for this preset, where can I find it?

Also with compensation actived and Hfreq@15.8kHz + native (visible?) resolution and Vfreq I can see every 256 lines or so BUT there are little black borders up and down the screen.
The only way I could obtain a better covering of the screen is by raising the number of lines to 272. It can use almost the entire screen as a display but I didn't manage to get all the lines in...

Anyway, thanks again and please tell me where I can find the preset crt_ranges values and whether it's possible or not to input modelines "speaking" in lines instead of timings?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:01 pm »
I understand that crt_ranges is the same said another way but please confirm whether I'm right or wrong: the VfrontPorch in mame.ini is a timing and equals the gap between 564 and 567 in the example above? And the same goes for VSyncPulse which equals the gap between 567 and 569 etc?

Well, crt_ranges are NOT modelines. Instead, you can see them as a recipe, a blueprint, to create modelines from.

Porches and sync pulses are defined in time units ( µs for horizontal,  ms for vertical), instead of pixels or lines.

This makes crt_ranges RESOLUTION INDEPENDENT. This is the most innovative feature of GroovyMAME.

Yes, the VFrontPorch value corresponds to the gap between VerticalActive and VerticalSyncStart. But you no longer have to figure out what actual timing this becomes. You enter timings, not pixels or lines. Modelines represent timings too, but in modelines, timings are implicit. On the other hand, with crt_ranges, timings are explicit, you spec the timings your monitor needs.

In the end, I've found I could trigger the vertical NTSC/PAL compensation thing on my old Philips TV (1989/90) running R-Type, by forcing the Hfreq (compensation triggered @15.8 kHz and above) while running at native res. and Vfreq (55Hz). Else with lower Hfreq, I always get the huge vertical overscan.

What's bugging me is, when I set the monitor on PAL in mame.ini the compensation IS triggered while Hfreq is at 15.6 kHz...
I'm curious to see the crt_range for this preset, where can I find it?

Also with compensation actived and Hfreq@15.8kHz + native (visible?) resolution and Vfreq I can see every 256 lines or so BUT there are little black borders up and down the screen.
The only way I could obtain a better covering of the screen is by raising the number of lines to 272. It can use almost the entire screen as a display but I didn't manage to get all the lines in...

This is probably because your TV counts the total number of lines to trigger the compensation, that's the relevant value. What's important is to create modes close to PAL in the number of lines, rather than a specific Hfreq. It's just that raising Hfreq you're indirectly increasing the total number of lines too, that's why it works.

Keep in mind that the PAL preset triggers the compensation but unfortunately is locked at 50 Hz so it is not of much use for gaming.

You won't manage to cover the screen completely unless you access the service menu or analog pots. Your lucky enough that your TV has two v-size presets, but consider them as fixed.

Anyway, thanks again and please tell me where I can find the preset crt_ranges values and whether it's possible or not to input modelines "speaking" in lines instead of timings?

No, as explained above you can't use raw modelines. I know it will be difficult to persuade you that crt_ranges are actually BETTER, anyway, trust me.
If you want to get the presets, you have two ways: create a log with the -v param, this will prompt the values used by the current range on the top of the log. Or: download the GroovyMAME sources (diff), there you have all the presets defined in the monitor.c file.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

machyavel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2013, 05:25:38 pm »
Oh I understand that these crt_ranges come very handy because one doesn't need to deal with lots and lots of different resolutions. It makes all the deal with our screens much more easier, that's for sure.  I got perfect geom with these "easy to cope with" 224 lines games, so I do understand and appreciate that  ;D
It was just "looking" easier to talk about lines instead of timings for a beginner as I am. Especially when trying to tweak these 256 lines games... Anyway I know it's a kind of holy grail...

edit: that's true I hadn't realized that timing values remain the same on the contrary to line's...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:32:15 pm by machyavel »

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:21 am »
Understood, but for the patched kernel what about those using it in other distros?  I can start a new thread just on that if need be.
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »
Started a new thread for other distros, but I did notice something else that also affects native games with multiple resolutions in GA as well.  As probably mentioned, Kobo Deluxe is a very good way to test the resolution capabilities of a monitor when creating modelines with SwitchRes.  Like the issue I discovered with Rom Check Fail, Kobo Deluxe seems to not like its specific resolutions (320x256, 640x512 are very good examples) created by entering the pertinent info into XRandR.  Putting the info into the "ArcadeModes" section of xorg.conf does work.

Seriously, though, it's great being able to play a great retro-arcade styled game like that at those kinds of native resolutions.  Feels like I would've been playing it as if it were released on an Amiga back in the day.

machyavel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2013, 04:59:58 pm »
Hello,

I tried to make available the pcengine emulation through mednafen in GA and it's working but, I don't know the refresh rate for this system so in the pce.ini file I created under /arcade/inisw/, I put 1280x232@60. However this setting does not produce smooth scrolling.
Has anyone a clue please?

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2013, 11:26:42 am »
Sorry for this being a cross-post.  I got the distro re-installed, and all works fine (though I do very much suspect the issue with Rom Check Fail has to be in its coding now for resolution).  Out of curiosity, how would I re-configure the Wiimote?  I noticed in /etc/cwiid/wminput there were config files for "gamepad", and "mamekeys" amongst some others.  How would I use those?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:41 pm »
Hi NightSprinter,

I asked Ves about this today, unfortunately I couldn't undestand the explanation enough to write about it, so I asked him to write a short tutorial on configuring the wiimotes to add it to the wiki. Basically the "gamepad" and "mamekeys" files are used by the wiimote daemon to map the buttons properly, and yes, this configuration can be edited manually, although I don't know the details.

Regarding games like Rom Check Fail which can't read the resolutions added by xrandr, I'm still curious why this happens. It may be interesting to see how resolutions are listed and reported by xrandr depending on how they are created: either xrandr or xorg.conf. If we notice any change, some sort of flag we're not using or anything, we might try to replicate it through xrandr.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:06:03 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »
I will look through the wiki and test resolutions created with XRandR.  Since Kobo Deluxe supports a large variety of resolutions (like Amiga LoRes, Amiga HiRes Laced, PAL TV, CGA, and so on), this will be a good test.

[Edit as of 11:34pm EST]
Okay then, so I tested out resolutions in XRandR (save for QVGA, VGA, and SVGA) with Kobo Deluxe.  Save for an oddity with the PAL resolution of 768x576 (then again, should that and NTSC TV be interlaced or progressive?), all of the 15KHz resolutions I've created and added worked fine.

Now, it seems most likely for QVGA/VGA I'll have to create a couple more lines in switchres.conf for my monitor's other modes (say, if I were to emulate an Atari ST/STE in its hi res mode, I'd have to use a 640x480@72Hz modeline).  So it's getting a smidge complicated, but things are moving along nicely (though one can say AUR needs some cleaning/trimming).

Dumb question, but would the QVGA resolution of 320x240 be at 15KHz or 31KHz?  Also, what about a 31KHz 640x480 mode on a multiscan monitor?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:48:23 pm by NightSprinter »

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »
Getting the resolution issues slowly worked out (still having trouble setting 768x576 on my monitor, and still need to get both 60Hz and 72Hz 640x480 modes fo DOS and Atari ST High modes).  Getting through slowly on the Wiimote issue.  Things test fine for my Wiimote when I run "cat /dev/js1" (js0 is set up for a PS1 to USB adapter), but GroovyUME seems to be unable to find any button presses (and I cannot use the Wiimote for IR mouse pointer.. I'll figure it out late tonight after work hopefully).  So it does confirm most of my suspicions: Rom Check Fail does not handle modelines created by XRandR at all (it must be in xorg.conf to work).  Other games so far have no issue.  I will continue to test more, and make sure I leave the xf86-video-ati driver locked at 7.0.0 for now.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »
Calamity, I found what gets loaded by wminput from viewing the symlink.  Turns out acc_led is the default.  I had it load up gamepad, and all was fine except for one oddity: up and down on my Classic Controller's D-Pad is reversed (and oddly enough the analog sticks are seen as POV hats).  Seems the config was set wrong.  Other than that, the Wiimote is just about figuring out what config to have it run in and out of GroovyUME for what would be appropriate (like some games needing a Classic Controller's extra buttons and the like) and where to place the wireless sensor bar in relation to my monitor.

Other than that, I think I'm good now (as I'll spend some time figuring out how to set up dedicated emulators for native resolutions, like FS-UAE and Steem).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:29 am »
Hi NightSprinter,

I'm glad to see that you made your way through the wiimote setup, I'm sorry I can't be of much help on this as I haven't ever configured that myself.
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:43 am »
Not quite figured out.  The regular Y-Axis is reversed in the gamepad/joystick configs, and my current sensor bar placement does not cover my monitor properly.

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:16 am »
Hello, for the axes invested, you can try to change.

***.X = ABS_X
***.Y = ABS_Y

By

***.X = ~ABS_X
***.Y = ~ABS_Y

Or

***.Up              = KEY_UP
***.Down         = KEY_DONW

By

***.Up              = KEY_DONW
***.Down         = KEY_UP

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »
Thanks, Ves, those most certainly worked.  Now to try and figure out how to combine a Classic Controller with the wiimote itself being a light gun for the best of both.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2013, 07:03:25 am »
Ves, can i make a suggestion for your next update, to include support for the T7Z-Merged roms sets that are coming out now, as at the moment if you have a T7Z romset GrooyArcade appears to be unable to read the romset

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2013, 05:23:17 pm »
Ves, can i make a suggestion for your next update, to include support for the T7Z-Merged roms sets that are coming out now, as at the moment if you have a T7Z romset GrooyArcade appears to be unable to read the romset

Hi lettuce, I have written to the AdvmenuPLUS programmer about this, I'll keep you informed.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2013, 05:52:24 pm »
VeS has updated AdvmenuPLUS, now it has proper support for .7z files, I've tested it here and works like a charm: https://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/downloads/list

This beta version needs that you manually add  the following lines to advmenu.rc:

Code: [Select]
mame_history /home/arcade/history.dat
mame_info /home/arcade/mameinfo.dat
security_exit none

New options:
- mame_history & mame_info: allow to specify the paths for history.dat and mameinfo.dat
- security_exit yes/none: shows a confirmation box on exit

In order to deal with merged romsets, make sure to enable this option in advmenu.rc:

merge parent
And finally, to list all the clones, either press "X" to bring the menu, or edit this option in advmenu.rc:

emulator_attrib "mame" clone include
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2013, 05:00:17 am »
Communication for linux users: here you can find the 15KHz patches for linux 3.10.
Earth could be the hell of another world

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:39 pm »
VeS has updated AdvmenuPLUS, now it has proper support for .7z files, I've tested it here and works like a charm: https://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/downloads/list

Great news!!!   :applaud:

machyavel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
Hello Ves,

I am trying to get my bluetooth mouse (razer orochi 2013) and keyboard (logitech K810) running. So I followed what's explained in "https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth". However scanning devices won't find anything...

The above mentioned page advices:
"Note: If you are running Blueman outside GNOME/GDM (e.g., in Xfce using the startx command) you should add . /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* on top of your ~/.xinitrc to make Nautilus capable to browse your devices."

Maybe it would fix the issue but I don't know what it means.

Otherwise I think usb dongle is working since hcitool dev outputs hci0:00.0....

I'm totally stuck and the Arch linux forum just dustbinned my post about this....

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:57 am »
Hoping machyavel's question can get answered soon (though, if I get the cash I can do some testing for him myself), but here's also something strange I discovered from my last update (though I'll need to patch and compile the 3.10 kernel to further test, since I'm running 3.7.7 still).  After I had patched xf86-video-ati with the latest patch by Ansa86 (which also works on 7.1, as 7.1 changed a few things), and re-built SDL-1.2.15 with the patch provided on the Google Code downloads page, resolution switching still acts up strangely.  My computer for some reason is forced into 640x480i, while games are in a small viewing area.  I know for a fact it's something with SDL, as with the older package in the distro off the live-CD I have no issues with any games running correctly in terms of resolution.  This has also started happening for my custom 320x256@50p and 640x512@50i resolutions for Kobo Deluxe (in which the former is a small display on a 480i screen, and the latter is just a progressive-scan image).  Are there any other variables I'm not looking at?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:54 am »
Hi NightSprinter,

I've collected the patches which I know for a fact that are being used by the current live CD. These are in addition to the ones here: https://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/source/browse/?repo=kernel

I know there's at least one additional patch for Nvidia cards that VeS made, though I don't have it here. Hopefully VeS can collect all the required patches and make them available any time soon, as that was the purpose of the Google's code site after all.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help here.

Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2013, 09:56:53 am »
Yeah, I downloaded the patch.  Something may not be right.  I will load ubuntu tonight, patch and compile the driver and kernel, then test there.  Ansa89 made a new patch for xorg-video-ati-7.2.0 in the past few days.

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2013, 10:17:39 am »
Ansa89 made a new patch for xorg-video-ati-7.2.0 in the past few days.
If someone need it, is here.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »
Any chance on a updated version of the live CD soon, using the latest build of groovymame and possible the SH3 driver added??

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2013, 06:38:30 pm »
Right now, some of the patches from Ansa86 on my computer are not working right.  I want to test to make sure resolution switching works properly.  As of now, some things are in small viewing areas for 640x480i, and some things that are interlaced show in progressive scan.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:46:52 pm by NightSprinter »

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:14 am »
I know there's at least one additional patch for Nvidia cards that VeS made, though I don't have it here. Hopefully VeS can collect all the required patches and make them available any time soon, as that was the purpose of the Google's code site after all.
I'm interested in the patch for nvidia cards, and hope you will start using the google-code git repo to store all project files.

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:18 am »
Communication for linux users: here you can find the 15KHz patches for linux 3.11.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2013, 08:19:57 am »
This will be excellent, as Phoronix was reporting some significant speed gains in the open-source driver for the HD4000 to HD6000 series.  I'll chime in on 3D speed once I can get things figured out (like why I'm now locked into a 3:4 aspect ratio when I changed switchres.conf, and why on my 6670 gasetup has a xorg.conf generated with just "unsupported card" in the text).

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:56 am »
Just curious, with everything patched, should running xrandr by itself result in the minimum reported resolution being 320x240?  That, plus most of the games/emulators are still putting a small window in an interlaced 640x480 display.  I've only managed to get Donkey Kong to show a proper image, but only after going into the video options and rotating it 90 degrees CCW.  Currently testing in Ubuntu 13.04 with the kernel working (as the console booted into 15KHz properly), but I must be missing something from patching SDL and the xorg ati driver that prevents things from working right.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »
I just don't get what I'm doing wrong at this point..  I have everything patched and installed, but I only get working 15KHz by using switches to generate what I need and entering it into xorg.conf now.  This has happened on both Ubuntu 13.04 and GroovyArcade 2013.02.05 after updating all packages and installing a hand-compiled kernel 3.11.0.  Did I miss something extremely specific in how to patch the X.org driver, kernel, and SDL to make these work as they do on a fresh install of the liveCD?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
The obvious question is if Ansa is getting a fully working system with these new patches for kernel 3.11.
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
Yeah, as I've also been testing.  So far my major roadblocks have been with SDL and/or XRandR.  I'm sure there's probably quite a few linux users who own a Radeon of some kind up to the HD6000 series that were looking forward to the performance boosts reported by Phoronix lately.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
Yeah, as I've also been testing.  So far my major roadblocks have been with SDL and/or XRandR.  I'm sure there's probably quite a few linux users who own a Radeon of some kind up to the HD6000 series that were looking forward to the performance boosts reported by Phoronix lately.

Mmmm... I'm not sure if I understand. What I understood is that you can't get the system to dynamically recognize new modes without adding them to xorg.conf, which means that's not a valid system for GroovyMAME. What I mean is: has Ansa achieved a GroovyMAME capable system by using these patches? If so, how did he do it? etc.
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »
Well, in the sister thread on the Linux forums, he posted a new patch for the X.Org driver (which changed a few things since version 7.0.0).  I used it to patch the X.Org driver, used your SDL patch to compile the latest version of SDL-1.2, and also built and installed the patched 3.11 kernel.  I've had quite a number of odd (yet frustrating) issues.

Games would only show a viewing area of its resolution within whatever screen mode my monitor was set to.  Or in some cases would give an error about XRandR.  I had the Nintendo Vs. System games running properly (probably due to the pre-validated resolution from xorg.conf), but Donkey Kong would only show at native resolution when rotated 90 degrees either way.  Additionally, just running "xrandr" by itself in LXTerminal states that my display's lowest resolution is 320x240.  This is where I wonder if there were additional steps I wasn't aware of that I had to take for configuraiton.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
I wouldn't say there are missing steps. I'd say the kernel has changed since the last version of the live-cd, at least enough to make the patches partially useless. Probably some extra patches are required. That's what I'm not sure about, cause I see Ansa posting updated patches from time to time and I was assuming he's successfully using them. But again, I do know that the SDL patch and the "allow low res" patch are required, and the "fix vsync" patch too, but I don't know if he's not applying them because they're not required by the distribution he's using, etc.

Unfortunately I have no experience patching & building these things. Though I have been involved in figuring out some of the patches, I have never done the whole building process myself, it's always been done by others, so it's a bit frustrating not having a clear idea in my head of what are *all* the required files and steps, and the feeling that this knowledge can get lost. Especially because the kernel is a moving target and unless you know *exactly* what modifications are required and how it used to work before and it is supposed to work now, each kernel update becomes a daunting task, you have to start again and it somewhat feels like living in the groundhog day movie. I wish all the required files to build the live-cd were in the Google's site and hopefully someday they will be, but that's not in my hands and until then I figure I'll focus more on the Windows releases.
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2013, 04:55:45 am »
In slackware I use the kernel patch and the low-res patch only.
When slackware 14.1 will be released I will try also other patches (sdl and vsync).

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »
Stupid question, Calamity, but what is the v-sync patch for?  Also, Ansa89, what does xrandr list as the lowest available resolution when using both the kernel and X patches?

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2013, 05:06:09 am »
Ansa89, what does xrandr list as the lowest available resolution when using both the kernel and X patches?
With kernel patches and low-res patch:
$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 160 x 100, current 768 x 576, maximum 8192 x 8192