Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2020  (Read 393243 times)

galaxian77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2021, 12:45:59 pm
  • Groovyarcade fan !
    • Arcade Sunday (YouTube)
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2019
« Reply #880 on: August 27, 2019, 04:18:24 pm »
I've put together a video tutorial, on how to download, write to flash drive, and install GroovyArcade, for your own arcade machine !

Check out my home Arcade YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLKl6BrSjDsvCHIL2Blql-A

Still loving the classics, 30+ years later! 5 dedicated MAME cabinets: GroovyArcade, some Arduinos, real CRTs, ATI VGA cards, and some crazy hacks... Love it.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:44:11 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #881 on: August 28, 2019, 08:22:03 am »
Been digging in the past for xf86-video-* patches, looks like ati and nouveau are concerned. Fine. But shouldn't amdgpu be patched too ?

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 09:19:49 am
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #882 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:59 am »
Been digging in the past for xf86-video-* patches, looks like ati and nouveau are concerned. Fine. But shouldn't amdgpu be patched too ?
Which kind of patches are you talking about?

No need to patch them to enable 15kHz output.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #883 on: August 28, 2019, 11:31:08 am »
As the googlecode repo is empty, i'm havibg a hard time to find what's been patched. Found https://github.com/tob1k/groovyarcade.diff?files=1 for example. One of the ATI patchs allows resolutions down to 160x100 instead of 320x200. Looks like there is some dpms stuff too.

The nouveau drivers looks unpatched

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #884 on: August 28, 2019, 04:40:00 pm »
There was also a patch for sdl that allowed new video modes to be available once the sdl instance is initialized.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #885 on: August 28, 2019, 05:39:49 pm »
for SDL1, which is totally outdated now

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #886 on: August 29, 2019, 01:47:51 am »

SDL 2.x does not need to be patched, unless someone figured out how to implement frequency refresh parameter with resolution switching function. This would eliminate the need of the DRM code from GM side. 

Xf86 does not need to be patched anymore. Stock version is fine as such. Just about the resolution limit, which game would be suitable to test 160x100 resolution? I want to test this to confirm resolution limit.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #887 on: August 29, 2019, 04:46:16 am »

SDL 2.x does not need to be patched, unless someone figured out how to implement frequency refresh parameter with resolution switching function. This would eliminate the need of the DRM code from GM side. 
do you mean this ? Not sure if it's for fullscreen or windowed mode though
Just about the resolution limit, which game would be suitable to test 160x100 resolution?
A few examples from mame0212.xml :

aim65 160x200
cybikov1 160x100
cybikov2 160x100
fp200 160x64
gamate 160x150

Just browed the first 25% of the .dat looking for width="160". Would need XML parsing for better results. Don't know either if they are part of arcade or not.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #888 on: August 29, 2019, 05:23:26 am »

Xf86 does not need to be patched anymore. Stock version is fine as such. Just about the resolution limit, which game would be suitable to test 160x100 resolution? I want to test this to confirm resolution limit.

As far as I know the only DRM code we have in GM is the drmWaitVBlank call.

Yes, I forgot the SDL patch was for 1.x. Back then we could dynamically switch modes after a fullscreen window was created, the issue was SDL just polled available modes on startup, so adding new modes didn't work, we needed to force SDL refresh its internal mode list.

IIRC, in SDL 2.0, the fullscreen mode needs to be defined when creating the SDL instance, and can only be changed afterwards by resetting the video subsystem. And even so, it's usually problematic.

Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #889 on: August 29, 2019, 05:24:34 am »
In SDL 1.X the function was named SDL_SetVideoMode. Unfortunately, the function does not have a refresh parameter. The function was picking the best available resolution but not honoring the refresh rate. On top, when the system was exposing different refresh rates for the same resolution via DRM. SDL was not switching at all if already in the same Width X Height. But 1.x is not used anymore.

The v2 API removed the prototype and introduced SDL_CreateWindow with the same drawback. To go full screen, flag SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN/SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS can be used. I do not know a method to force a refresh rate in SDL2.X.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #890 on: August 29, 2019, 05:32:02 am »

As far as I know the only DRM code we have in GM is the drmWaitVBlank call.

Yes, I forgot the SDL patch was for 1.x. Back then we could dynamically switch modes after a fullscreen window was created, the issue was SDL just polled available modes on startup, so adding new modes didn't work, we needed to force SDL refresh its internal mode list.

IIRC, in SDL 2.0, the fullscreen mode needs to be defined when creating the SDL instance, and can only be changed afterwards by resetting the video subsystem. And even so, it's usually problematic.

That's right. We use drawolg to get access to DRM to push a new resolution with correct refresh and do the switching. Things might change in case MAME decide to switch from OGL to Vulkan API. But not so much.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #891 on: August 29, 2019, 05:42:29 am »
In SDL 1.X the function was named SDL_SetVideoMode. Unfortunately, the function does not have a refresh parameter. The function was picking the best available resolution but not honoring the refresh rate. On top, when the system was exposing different refresh rates for the same resolution via DRM. SDL was not switching at all if already in the same Width X Height. But 1.x is not used anymore.

The v2 API removed the prototype and introduced SDL_CreateWindow with the same drawback. To go full screen, flag SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN/SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS can be used. I do not know a method to force a refresh rate in SDL2.X.

Aaah, yes, I forgot that sh*it  ;)

And the strategy we used, IIRC is to only make available one resolution with the desired refresh rate so SDL can't fail.

Same crap with all libraries these days. Coders don't understand what refresh rates are, they heard it's something about screen flicker. They trim that redundant parameter from their APIs making everything a mess.

I believe it's the same issue with Attract Mode switching to odd modes, they use a video library that only takes width x height.

You can bet anything that's multiplatform is broken in this regard.

Other emulators changing to random modes suffer from this design flaw (but it's always CRT Emudriver fault).
Steps to create a log:

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #892 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:17 am »
Considering wayland seems to forbid users to change resolution (no official xrandr alike tool and probably lib), future looks dark

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #893 on: August 29, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »
Considering wayland seems to forbid users to change resolution (no official xrandr alike tool and probably lib), future looks dark

No big worries on that side. In the GM code, setting resolution/refresh rate is done by using libdrm calls. To summarize, the manipulation is performed at kernel level. I am confident I can sort out the quirks when Wayland will be deployed widely.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #894 on: August 29, 2019, 12:44:35 pm »

No big worries on that side. In the GM code, setting resolution/refresh rate is done by using libdrm calls. To summarize, the manipulation is performed at kernel level. I am confident I can sort out the quirks when Wayland will be deployed widely.

In my view, the most important trouble we're facing is buffering caused by desktop compositers. In Linux, "fullscreen" is equivalent to Windows' borderless mode, so even if you try to handle vsync manually, you can't bypass desktop compositing and its buffering.

I've measured GM with the amdgpu driver and it lags 1 frame. I'm quite sure it's due to this.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #895 on: August 29, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »
Also, I'm seeing we're using XRRSetCrtcConfig in order to switch modes, which indeed is from the libxrandr library.
Steps to create a log:

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #896 on: August 29, 2019, 01:08:02 pm »

A few examples from mame0212.xml :

aim65 160x200
cybikov1 160x100
cybikov2 160x100
fp200 160x64
gamate 160x150

About the lower resolution, you are right on the 320x200 limit. But I don't think it is an issue thanks to Calamity integer scaling implementation (only talking about MAME here)

Integer scaling of 5 will fit perfectly with 800 x 500 resolution for those games and a x2 factor makes if fine at 320x200. I did manage to go lower the height limit (below 200 lines) but not to the exact wanted resolution.

One more test would be to force EDID 160x100 at boot (which should work) then X will use this resolution as default for the session. But I think this is getting tricky and involve unnecessary tweaking. I can imagine impracticability (look and feel) using a launcher/front-end at this resolution.

Personally, with the help of integer scaling, I do not think patching the xf86 driver is a necessity.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #897 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:20 pm »
The height is the only critical value. As long as we can get 240p we're fine. Lower (e.g. 224) can be done by adding borders.
Steps to create a log:

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #898 on: August 29, 2019, 01:15:15 pm »

In my view, the most important trouble we're facing is buffering caused by desktop compositers. In Linux, "fullscreen" is equivalent to Windows' borderless mode, so even if you try to handle vsync manually, you can't bypass desktop compositing and its buffering.

I've measured GM with the amdgpu driver and it lags 1 frame. I'm quite sure it's due to this.

The allocation of the frame buffer is performed by the RADEON driver (X side) and have only a single frame buffer allocated. Do not forget the GL layer and possibly another buffer allocated by the library.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #899 on: August 29, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »

It would be nice to test frame lag with the following in the xorg.conf

Code: [Select]
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #900 on: August 29, 2019, 01:19:26 pm »
The allocation of the frame buffer is performed by the RADEON driver (X side) and have only a single frame buffer allocated. Do not forget the GL layer and possibly another buffer allocated by the library.

I'm talking about the amdgpu driver now, not the (old) radeon driver. I've been testing this one lately for the Ryzen 2400G I got.

My previous tests showed the radeon driver finally had no lag, but now the lag is back with amdgpu  :'(
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #901 on: August 29, 2019, 01:20:52 pm »

Section "Extensions"
EndSection

Is it enabled by default? Sounds interesting, I need to test it when I'm back home.
Steps to create a log:

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #902 on: August 29, 2019, 01:28:45 pm »

Section "Extensions"
EndSection

Is it enabled by default? Sounds interesting, I need to test it when I'm back home.

It is at least taken into account, check inside the Xorg.0.log file:

[    12.536] (**) Extension "Composite" is disabled

Yes, it is enabled by default. Here is the log with vanilla xorg.conf.

[    15.043] (II) Initializing extension COMPOSITE
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:30:53 pm by Doozer »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #903 on: August 31, 2019, 04:09:18 am »
So :

- should we patch xorg video drivers to allow resolutions lower than 320x200 ? 160x100 was not a good case at all as 320x200 is a multiple of it. Should we simply rely on the fact that GM can upscale anything lower than 320x200 and fit it in interlaced 640x480 with borders eventually ?
- regarding the Composite xorg.conf value, can be disabled I guess. The only case I can see where GA would need it is when booting to LXDE, which seem not to handle composition by default. Worth the try !

Rolyretro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2020, 06:33:25 pm
  • restoring old arcade games
    • Roly’s Blog
« Reply #904 on: September 07, 2019, 06:00:53 am »
Hi there!

I’ve just completed a new GroovyArcade install on a PC that I created from scratch using and ASUS motherboard and a HD4350 graphics card.  For testing I am using a HDMI cable from the HD4350 to a modern LCD monitor.

I installed from a USB onto a hard drive, with the partitions etc and then booted from the hard drive, so far so good.

But now when I try to run the software I’m getting an error:

Using config file: “/etc/X11/.org.conf”
Using system config directory “/user/share/X11/.org.conf.d”
Server terminated with error (1).  Closing log file.log” for additional information.

Any advice on next steps?  Could it be a graphics card driver issue? 

Thanks

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #905 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:07 am »
i'm getting the exact same issue after a fresh install.  i'm using the same card, but with DVI output direct to a WG D9200 CRT monitor.

here is my log:

[   757.288] (WW) Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt
[   757.289]
X.Org X Server 1.20.5
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[   757.289] Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
[   757.290] Current Operating System: Linux GroovyArcade 5.2.4-arch1-1-ARCH #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 2 07:06:57 CEST 2019 x86_64
[   757.290] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=../vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA  rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash vga=0x311 video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec initrd=../initramfs-linux.img
[   757.291] Build Date: 30 June 2019  09:52:01AM
[   757.292] 
[   757.292] Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
[   757.293]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
[   757.293] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   757.295] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jul 20 20:07:57 2019
[   757.295] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[   757.295] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   757.296] (==) ServerLayout "General"
[   757.296] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
[   757.296] (**) |   |-->Monitor "DVI-0"
[   757.296] (**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
[   757.296] (**) |-->Input Device "WiiMote0"
[   757.296] (**) |-->Input Device "WiiMote1"
[   757.296] (==) Automatically adding devices
[   757.296] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[   757.296] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[   757.296] (==) Automatically binding GPU devices
[   757.296] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[   757.296] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/misc".
[   757.296]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   757.296]    (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/misc").
[   757.296] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF" does not exist.
[   757.296] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
[   757.296] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
[   757.296] (==) FontPath set to:
   /usr/share/fonts/100dpi,
   /usr/share/fonts/75dpi
[   757.296] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[   757.296] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
   If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[   757.296] (II) Module ABI versions:
[   757.296]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[   757.296]    X.Org Video Driver: 24.0
[   757.296]    X.Org XInput driver : 24.1
[   757.296]    X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
[   757.296] (++) using VT number 1

[   757.297] (II) systemd-logind: took control of session /org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31
[   757.297] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[   757.298] (II) systemd-logind: got fd for /dev/dri/card0 226:0 fd 10 paused 0
[   757.299] (--) PCI:*(1@0:0:0) 1002:954f:174b:174b rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xf7e20000/65536, I/O @ 0x0000e000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[   757.299] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[   757.299] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   757.299] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   757.300] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   757.300]    compiled for 1.20.5, module version = 1.0.0
[   757.300]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
[   757.300] (II) LoadModule: "admgpu"
[   757.300] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module admgpu
[   757.300] (EE) Failed to load module "admgpu" (module does not exist, 0)
[   757.300] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[   757.300] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[   757.300] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   757.300] (EE) No drivers available.
[   757.300] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   757.300] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[   757.300] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[   757.300] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   757.300] (EE)
[   757.301] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:30:10 am by MonkeyJug »

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #906 on: September 09, 2019, 12:01:34 pm »
i have spotted an error in the log:

[   757.300] (II) LoadModule: "admgpu"
[   757.300] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module admgpu
[   757.300] (EE) Failed to load module "admgpu" (module does not exist,

It is looking for admgpu and it should be AMDgpu.  i have changed it in the xorg.conf, and it now loads the 'amdgpu' module, but it still doesn't run the front-end...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #907 on: September 09, 2019, 01:46:40 pm »
Hi MonkeyJug,

Yes, the iso from August was just a test build for me, I've used it for testing Ryzen 5, it uses amdgpu instead of radeon, it has some bugs as you've seen that need to be fixed manually. You can't use it for older cards.

Sorry for the annoyance.

I've renamed the iso as "_test".
Steps to create a log:

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #908 on: September 09, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »
Anyway, X driver detection should be rewritten in GA, you can't just rely on PCI vendors. X has an autoconfigure feature that should be taken advantage of.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #909 on: September 09, 2019, 04:34:45 pm »
Anyway, X driver detection should be rewritten in GA, you can't just rely on PCI vendors. X has an autoconfigure feature that should be taken advantage of.
I agree.
Steps to create a log:

baldgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2021, 03:38:21 am
« Reply #910 on: October 29, 2019, 11:43:52 am »
So which iso should I use if plan on using Ryzen 3400G with AMDGPU?

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #911 on: November 04, 2019, 04:36:10 am »
I have a strange problem, recently if I change a game 3 or 4 times, at the next change attract (or mame?) no longer loads any rom, I have a black screen and then it returns to the frontend, as if the rom was not available. Some idea? Has it happened to someone else?
Today i compiled mame 215 and attract 2.6.0 to see if updating solves the problem, but it's very strange, never happened before.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #912 on: November 06, 2019, 04:20:57 am »
I have a strange problem, recently if I change a game 3 or 4 times, at the next change attract (or mame?) no longer loads any rom, I have a black screen and then it returns to the frontend, as if the rom was not available. Some idea? Has it happened to someone else?
Today i compiled mame 215 and attract 2.6.0 to see if updating solves the problem, but it's very strange, never happened before.

Do you have a mame log or other?

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #913 on: November 06, 2019, 04:37:43 am »
no, no log, now i have updated the groovymame with 0.215 (before it had been updated with a 206) and the problem seems to have disappeared, i've tried changing game at least 20 times and everything seems to work again, very strange, as if after some reboot mame could no longer find the roms folder.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #914 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:17 am »
no, no log, now i have updated the groovymame with 0.215 (before it had been updated with a 206) and the problem seems to have disappeared, i've tried changing game at least 20 times and everything seems to work again, very strange, as if after some reboot mame could no longer find the roms folder.

:) happy ending then

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #915 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:12 am »
:) happy ending then
Unfortunately no  :( , the problem is back, how can I create a log? if I start the commandline mame the problem does not occur, I should create an attract log maybe, do you have advice on how to proceed?

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #916 on: November 13, 2019, 08:38:04 am »
I do not know if their is an easy way to do it with GA from the front-end.

Generally, you have to run GM from the shell and add the "-verbose" parameter and redirect it to a file "> filename.ext". Here is an example which redirect the output and print it on the screen at the same time.

groovymame -verbose <name_of_the_rom> 2>&1 | tee /tmp/mame.debug.txt

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #917 on: November 13, 2019, 03:19:19 pm »
Read Calamity's signature  :lol

Steps to create a log:
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #918 on: November 13, 2019, 04:05:04 pm »
I know, but in this case is different, if I launch mame from bash the game start normally, the problem is with attract, I need to verify if the lastrun log is created as in windows.

Sent from the sixth floor

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #919 on: November 14, 2019, 05:15:17 am »
Ask keilmillerjr how you could log everything from Attract