Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2018  (Read 108479 times)

puntja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2018
« Reply #720 on: March 15, 2018, 06:20:04 am »
can someone please tell me how I can add roms?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:09:52 pm by puntja »

galaxian77

• Offline Offline
  • Groovyarcade fan !
« Reply #721 on: March 25, 2018, 04:46:57 am »
can someone please tell me how I can add roms?

Not sure if this has been answered "officially" yet, but this is how I add roms:

1) Fully install GroovyArcade to hard disk (I prefer to use the "Attract Mode" front end, so I select this during the initial installation options). Reboot, and remove the installation media.
2) Start up the arcade machine. GroovyArcade starts up, and loads the Attract Mode with the default set of roms.
3) Exit Attract Mode (usually "player 2" button, or "Escape"). You'll be presented with the Linux options / setup menu
4) Choose "File Manager / Midnight Commander" from the menu. Note that the file manager has a "split view" (ie: you can view two different folders at the same time - which is necessary to copy roms over...). Once opened, plug in a USB stick with all the roms you own. It will be automatically mounted in the default folder called "MEDIA". Browse the installation drive, and look for the "MEDIA" folder.  Select all of your roms (either using "insert" or press "F9" choose the file menu, and choose "Select Group", then type in *.* as the selection criteria...
5) On the "other" / "split view" window (select by using "TAB"), browse to your GroovyArcade / installation folder (which should be /home/arcade/roms/mame/roms - or something similar to that). You will know it's the correct folder, as your will see a list of existing roms that came with the initial install.
6) You should now have a view of both the "MEDIA" folder with all of your roms on one side, and the view of "/home/arcade/roms/mame/roms" on the other side
7) Press "TAB" to select the "MEDIA" folder view. If you followed step "4" correctly, all roms should be selected. Press "F5" to copy from one side to the other
8 ) Once copying is complete, press "F10" to exit Midnight Commander
9) Select the "Start front end" (I think it's the first option on the menu). Your front end will start up
10) If you're running Attract Mode like I do, press "TAB", then select "Emulators -> Mame", then select "generate roms list" (can't remember the exact wording). This process can take a while, as it commands GroovyMame to generate a new XML (the equivalent of running "groovymame -listxml" from a command line)
11) Exit the options menu, and play some games ! :)

Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:56:19 am by galaxian77 »
Still loving the classics, 30+ years later! 5 dedicated MAME cabinets: GroovyArcade, some Arduinos, real CRTs, ATI VGA cards, and some crazy hacks keeps it all going... Love it.

Frylock77

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #722 on: March 28, 2018, 08:37:19 am »
I just wanted to write this real quick, just in case anyone else out there runs into this problem and how I solved it:

I've been using the live CD successfully on a few different machines, but one in particular was giving me a major headache...
I recently purchased an MSI A320M Pro-VH Plus motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1500X CPU. I used the same video card on several different motherboards, an ATI X300. The live CD worked great on every other machine, with that video card, EXCEPT for this one!

The solution:

Configure your video card options in gasetup, just like always, but then EXIT to the shell. go to /etc/X11 and edit the xorg.conf file. Remove everything in the file EXCEPT for the MONITOR and MODES sections. This was the only way I was able to get anything working at 15kHz.

Perhaps this is something that can be tested or fixed in a future release, but it is definitely related somehow to this motherboard or CPU, since I was able to get everything running perfect on several other machines with the X300.

Hopefully this helps someone!

sr.polilla

• Offline Offline
  • GroovyArcade noob user
« Reply #723 on: March 28, 2018, 02:56:36 pm »
I'm trying to run some CPS1 games (with two versions of GroovyArcade, 2016 and 2018) but games don't work, like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs or The Punisher. There is a specific problem from groovymame? I must to activate a especial/hidden option? This happen with any front-end, when I launch a game, the resolution of my TV change, appear a blank screen and aumatically go back to the launcher. Street Fighter 2 works perfectly and use the same system.

PS: I use the correct romset version (0.195) and the 0.185 and both fails.

veggav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #724 on: April 01, 2018, 08:18:52 am »
So I'm considering building a dedicated emulation PC with groovy arcade to be hooked to my RGB CRT.

Since MAME and MESS got fused this would not just cover arcade games but also consoles.
The thing is, since MAME is written in C, as far as my limited knowledge goes, it won't use any kind of GPU processing.

This can't be true for PSX in MESS just an example.

So which was the last GPU to support 15khz with pixel perfect output?

Cucurbitacée

• Offline Offline
« Reply #725 on: April 08, 2018, 11:00:58 am »
Hi guys,

I tried to update my 2017 installs with this promising looking 2018 version. Here is what I did:
  • Back up the content of the /home folder on an external drive.
  • Delete all partitions on hard drive.
  • Install 2018 using a DVD-R.
  • Copy the content of the backup to the /home folder.

And it worked almost flawlessly. It would have been perfect for one problem: MAME is running way too fast.

I plugged a keyboard and tried to play with the F10 key, but it doesn't do anything.

Then I moved mame.ini to a backup folder and recreated a new config file using:
Code: [Select]
groovymame -ccBut it's still way too fast.

Does anyone has any advice before I mess too much with the system? :angel:

Thanks.

Cucurbitacée

• Offline Offline
« Reply #726 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
Hi again,

I reply to myself as I kept investigating. I've attached the log for running DoDonPachi for some seconds. There is a bunch of these lines:
drmWaitVBlank failedAnd the final speed reported is:
Average speed: 272.54% (11 seconds)I'll keep investigating, but if someone knows what's going, please tell me. :)

Thanks

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31