Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2020  (Read 390202 times)

ves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
GroovyArcade live-CD 2020
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:02:53 pm »
Hello, after a long time of hard work finally we publish the new version.
Thanks to Calamity for the patience that has had with so many update(awkward mistakes, translations, improvements, etc) Daesdae for his great work with AdvmenuPlus,Rockman betatester and thinker.

GroovyArcade live-CD Release 2020

GroovyArcade live-CD Release 2013-02-24

GroovyWiki: Installing Groovy Arcade Arch Linux to a USB Flash Drive

GroovyArcade-Mame

GroovyArcade-Mame GitHub

System features:

- Linux Kernel 3.7.7
- xf86-video-ati 1:7.0.0-1
- xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.6-1
- xf86-video-intel 2.21.2-1
- xf86-video-fbdev 0.4.3-2
- xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-2
- mesa 9.0.2-1
- Locked kernel, SDL and video packages during updates.
- Locked distribution date as 02/20/2013 for future package updates.
- Added experimental support for NVidia cards (tested 9800gt).
- Added intel vesa fb video driver.
- Added svgalib package.
- Added Mednafen multi-system emulator.
- Added Rejoystick package, converts joystick events to key strokes.
- Added touchpad package for laptops.
- New 'autologin', to avoid problems with 'user' in future updates

Software included:

- GroovyMAME
- SwitchRes 1.50-fix
- AdvmenuPlus v2.7
- Mednafen 0.9.28-1
- Mupen64plus 1.99.5-4
- Nestopia 1.44-1
- Stella 3.7.3-1
- Gens 2.15.5-5
- Wahcade-bzr 104-1 develversion

GAsetup update:

- Added new auto-update options for GroovyMAME, AdvmenuPLUS, etc.
- Added monitor presets in sync with GroovyMAME
- Added new scripts 'Add ROM/Snap paths', to easily configure your emulator's rom/snap paths without editing text files. These scripts will auto-configure AdvmenuPLUS for you.
- Added modified Midnight Commamder (mc) that includes new option (in F2 menu) to set current directory as a rom/snap path for the emulator you choose. This is an alternative to the 'Add ROM/Snap paths' script.
- Added CRT emulation option for LCD screens, based on GLSL filters. 
- Added grub editing menu to setup outputs, time-out, splash screen, etc.
- Various grub issues fixed.
- General clean-up (obsolete setups, etc.)
- New option to disable Intel i915 graphics from grub, that cause some PCs to crash on boot.
- New option to copy contains of /roms partition from live-CD on HD installation. This way the user can choose to keep his /roms partition from a previous installation unmodified.
- Added Rejoystick daemon setup.
- Added support for updating network and WIFI setup, now it asks for the encryption type (WPA, WEP or Open).
- Fully reworked 'automount' feature, so it stays active during HD installation to look for previous setups.
- New option to hide mouse pointer, it only gets hidden with 'autologin', if AdvmenuPLUS or Wah!Cade are used. For LXDE it will be visible, as well as for Wah!Cade first execution.

GroovyMAME/UME:

- Updated to SwitchRes patch version 014.
- GroovyMAME v0.148u1.014, compiled with WiiMote support (the XInput patch originally created by SpritesMods.com, which VeS had been including and mantaining in GroovyMAME was finally added to baseline MAME in version 0.147u4, however it needs to be explicitly activated before compiling).
- New folder 'Bios_roms' in /roms, necessary to store GroovyUME bioses.

SwitchRes 1.50-fix:

- Updated (patched actually) to be in sync with new monitor presets and options in GroovyMAME (SwitchRes patch 014).
- Now ini files are read from inisw, this is to avoid conflicts with ini files read by GroovyMAME/UME.

AdvmenuPLUS:

- Added AdvmenuPLUS v2.6 and new layouts.
- Compiled for generic hardware to avoid segmentation faults.
- Updated configuration for various emulators.

Mednafen

- Added Mednafen 0.9.28-1 multi-system emulator, as an alternative to GroovyUME, due to its easy integration with the SwitchRes launcher to allow native video modes.
- Most special keys have been removed, joysticks are configured from f3 to f6.

Misc:

- Added links on LXDE desktop for Wah!Cade and Rejoystick.
- Added web browser.
- All users setup files cleaned and revised.
- Updated fstab, now it mounts non-Linux partitions, internal clean-up. 
- All mount/umount commands redirected to 'null' to hide messages.
- Modified 'event' executable to print Wiimote events so they can be recognized and added to xorg.conf (still manual).
- New xorg.conf setup, now hexadecimal PCI identifiers are converted to decimal.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 07:15:21 am by Calamity »

Heffaklumpen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2014, 08:56:21 am
  • I want an Athena PCB!
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2013-02-24
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:42:49 am »
Wow, nice!
Will try this one as soon as I can find the time!  :applaud:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:57 am »
Great job!
Earth could be the hell of another world

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »
So for my upcoming arcade cab is this the way to go over the PC version if the cab is just for arcade games?? Shame cant use HyperSpin Frontend with it

ufoufo512

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 02:09:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
Thank you guys. You are really awesome! I just installed it on my system, seems to work great. I wiped the previous installation and now I am waiting for the ROMS to copy over a WLAN connection. I surely takes time transferring gigabytes over Wifi.

Following problems with previous live-CD went away:
1) AdvanceMame used to crash with Illegal Instruction message on my setup. I did fix it previously by compiling it myself, but I really appreciate that you fixed that for us who are using relic hardware.
2) Wifi now just works. Previously it didn't work for me out of the box.

I'll keep playing some more, once I get some ROMs to play with. So far I can only say my thanks on the overall great progress on making the installation and configuring more user-friendly.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »
OK so here is a step by step tutorial for installing Groovy Arcade to an USB pendrive:

http://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/wiki/USB_installation?ts=1361834820&updated=USB_installation

This is meant for Windows users who already have a working Windows-based system and don't want to touch it. It's written for Windows users with no experience on Linux.

Now there's no excuse. Just grab an 8 GB pendrive and give Groovy Arcade a try.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:35:18 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:08 am »
I tested out the new Groovy Arcade. Best crystal clear full screen graphics I've ever seen on my CRT. To think I spent all this time trying to perfect the picture in windows.
Sadly I still have the head scratching problem of the trackball not working right. I'll just switch to windows when I want to play Golden Tee.

Improvements: My other pc that has an NVIDIA GTS 250 works now, when it didn't in the last version. Internet connection now works wonderful. Didn't notice any sound issues. All the games ran smooth and even noticed that NFL blitz is nearly playable, when it ran at a turtles pace in windows. Also the plus of not needing to worry about modelines since Linux can do any on the fly.

Some people are also claiming you should be able to double the refresh rate of 15Khz resolutions to get native res on 31 Khz if your video card can do low res. Is this true?

You guys really improved over the last GroovyArcade and deserve allot of credit for spending so long trying to get it right. Some donations may be in order. Well done!
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:41:00 am »
Hi mamenewb100, thanks for your comments.

Some people are also claiming you should be able to double the refresh rate of 15Khz resolutions to get native res on 31 Khz if your video card can do low res. Is this true?

This is already possible, but be aware that the fact that your monitor supports 31 kHz horizontal frequency doesn't necessarily imply that it supports 120 Hz vertical frequency.

Here is how you would be setup GM for this (starting from the "arcade_31" presets):

crt_range0 31400-31500, 100.00-125.00, 0.940, 3.770, 1.890, 0.349, 0.064, 1.017, 0, 0, 200, 256, 0, 0
crt_range1 31400-31500, 49.50-65.00, 0.940, 3.770, 1.890, 0.349, 0.064, 1.017, 0, 0, 384, 480, 0, 0

As you see, crt_range0 takes resolutions from 200 to 256 lines and scales the frequency by two in the range of 100-125 Hz. This will produce real hardware scanlines for low resolutions at 31 kHz, but your monitor needs to support 120 Hz.

Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »
Thank you guys!!!!

lettuce, GroovyArcade its possible to use as multisystem,hyperspin is not supported on Linux, its not necessary, AdvmenuPlus or Wahacade are really good.

mamenewb100, I haven't got a trackball to test it, you could try to configure mame with these options, or publish a video to try to help you? What is the model of trackball?

mouse                     1
multimouse                0 or 1
trackball_device          mouse
mouse_device             mouse

If trackball works like a joystick, try this.

joystick                  1
lightgun                 0
trackball_device          joystick

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:11 am »
The only real downer is not being able to use scanlines. I understand that hlsl is Direct3d only(I think?). My only question would be how come only LCD gets the options of scanlines and not CRT? I understand it sounds silly to add them on a CRT that already had them. But it makes a difference on 31K monitors. Did it require more work and code to add them to CRTs or was it just assumed that noone would need them?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:52 am »
The only real downer is not being able to use scanlines. I understand that hlsl is Direct3d only(I think?). My only question would be how come only LCD gets the options of scanlines and not CRT? I understand it sounds silly to add them on a CRT that already had them. But it makes a difference on 31K monitors. Did it require more work and code to add them to CRTs or was it just assumed that noone would need them?

GroovyArcade supports GLSL filters that are the HLSL counterpart for Linux, but as far as I know they only work with Nvidia. Initially VeS made those settings available for LCD and  the 'vesa' presets but I recommended leaving them for LCD only, so that's my fault. I believe it should be possible to make a mixed configuration manually. See how it modifies mame.ini and then try enabling later with your monitor preset.

EDIT: Well I checked again and the CRT Emulation is available for 'vesa' presets too, so try the 'vesa_480' preset (vesa 640x480).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:58:16 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:38:26 pm »
Hey guys, great work on the new release.  I am curious, though, have you guys had any segfaults with using switchres or compiling programs?  When trying to do certain things (like generate some modelines for x), switchres would give me a segfault (I can try to get a verbose output to a text file on the linux box and post it from there).  On top of that, when running the configure script for something like, say, lrmc it tells me that gcc is not capable of creating executable files.  Any reasons why?

Lastly, the monitor_specs lines that you provided in Windows, Calamity, seem to be quite wonky in some instances for linux (which I can now state the ATI driver for X.Org is indeed patched on top of the kernel driver).  These smartphone pics aren't the best, but it "should" give some sort of idea what happened.  Also having generated an 800x600 modeline via switchres caused vertical "squishing" (which is unlike using gtf to calculate the modeline).  Let me know what else I can do to further test things (not just the emulators, but native games and stuff under WINE if I can get it to work at all).
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 03:47:48 am »
when running the configure script for something like, say, lrmc it tells me that gcc is not capable of creating executable files.  Any reasons why?
Maybe a problem with multilib library/sotfware?
Have you the same problem on both 32bit and 64bit version?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:38 am »
Hi Ansa, could you post your compiled Switchres with the patch you did for NightSprinter? At this point I'm not sure if your patch was finally applied or we forgot doing it.
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 06:40:19 am »
The attached file is a 32bit version of switchres (with my patch applied), statically linked, so it could run also on 64bit systems without any multilib libraries (however you need the support for 32bit program compiled into kernel).

The binary is compiled with "-g" and isn't stripped, so you can debug it.

@Calamity: I upgraded my patch; grab it, check if you like the changes and decide if apply or reject it.

dmarcum99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »
Hi guys!

Seeing the new iso's coming out is exciting!!  My cab is stil running bitbytebits older version so I'm testing the new iso's on other pc's to see if I need to update to VES's iso.

A couple of things I noticed:
The nag screen is turned on while booting to the live cd and playing the included games.  Since I do not have the knowhow to compile my own version, how do we get the nag screen removed?  Is it as easy as the .ini file??

Also, I still cannot get any PCI video cards to work in any of my systems.  I have 3 radeon 9200/9250 PCI cards that won't work in any configuration.  I tried using all the PCI slots that each mobo carried...each without luck.
I have Intel mobo with PCIE (onboard graphics disabled) - no luck with any of the 3 PCI cards
I have AMD board with AGP slot - onboard graphics won't disable with PCI video card - no luck with any of the 3 PCI cards
I have AMD board with PCIE (NO onboard graphics) - no luck with any of the 3 PCI cards
**all of these cards operate normally outside of groovymame...**

What I'm doing, I ordered a 9200LE (AGP) and it works with GM in the AMD board with AGP slot.
I have a X300 PCIE on order and expect it to function without issues.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with the new iso so far.  I've been a fan since day-1   :applaud:

BTW, I bought the PCI videocards just for groovymame....since my hardware doesn't like these cards, I'll sell them to anyone who wants them.  $15 each (shipped) (US addresses only)
I have a 128mb 9200 - 256mb 9250 - 128mb 9250 w/composite-out on the board.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:39:03 pm by dmarcum99 »

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »
Ah, ok.  It segfaults if I don't give it a proper monitor to utilize.  That's rather odd.  But that is resolved.  Have either of you tried any native linux games (Rom Check Fail, Kobo Deluxe, VVVVVV, Cave Story+) and anything via WINE (especially titles like Spelunky and Cho Ren Sha 68K) to see how well resolutio nswitching may work when custom modelines are given?  I think that would be another good set of tests.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:47:42 am »
@Calamity: I upgraded my patch; grab it, check if you like the changes and decide if apply or reject it.

Hi Ansa89, thanks again for the patch. I think we should apply the second part of it, to fix the segfault. On the other hand, we prefer just naming the binary 'groovymame' all the time, without the '64', regardless it's the 32 or the 64-bit build, this way we can use the same scripts in gasetup without having to account for the special binary name.

The nag screen is turned on while booting to the live cd and playing the included games.  Since I do not have the knowhow to compile my own version, how do we get the nag screen removed?  Is it as easy as the .ini file??

Yes, that's intended, the live-cd should have never been released with the nag screens turn off, now this is fixed. Of course there's an option in the .ini file to turn nag screens off manually, it has been there all the time.

BTW, one should always leave the "nag" screens on, it helps to evaluate how well or bad is the modeline engine working in geometry terms, it gives you the information of the modeline in use, etc...

Also, I still cannot get any PCI video cards to work in any of my systems.  I have 3 radeon 9200/9250 PCI cards that won't work in any configuration.  I tried using all the PCI slots that each mobo carried...each without luck.

So did you ever got these cards working with the older isos? One change has been made to read PCI identifiers as hexadecimal to fix this issue with PCI cards, but maybe there's more to that. Could you post a log of on of your non-working systems?

Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:57:36 am »
Ah, ok.  It segfaults if I don't give it a proper monitor to utilize.  That's rather odd.  But that is resolved.  Have either of you tried any native linux games (Rom Check Fail, Kobo Deluxe, VVVVVV, Cave Story+) and anything via WINE (especially titles like Spelunky and Cho Ren Sha 68K) to see how well resolutio nswitching may work when custom modelines are given?  I think that would be another good set of tests.

Hi NightSprinter, how are you passing custom modelines to those games? I'm just asking because with Groovy Arcade you shouldn't add modelines into xorg.conf. If you do it, those modes will become read-only, so if GroovyMAME intends to recalculate them it will fail.

You could create a script that calls SwitchRes for the modeline to create, then use the result with xrandr --newmode, xrandr --addmode. Then launch the game, or Wine, or whatever, and on exit, call xrandr --delmode, xrandr --rmmode (all there commands need their options, check a GM log to see how we're invoking them).

Could you post a log of dkong to see what's going wrong?
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 06:17:04 am »
we prefer just naming the binary 'groovymame' all the time, without the '64', regardless it's the 32 or the 64-bit build, this way we can use the same scripts in gasetup without having to account for the special binary name.
Ok, no problem, feel free to modify my patch the way you like before apply it.

Just a note: the code of switchres should be deeply revised to catch nasty "NULL pointer dereferencing", "out of bounds array accesses" and other memory access violation.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »
Building wine from source right now to see how things go for that.  Otherwise adding the modelines now is resulting in a few native linux games (Secret Maryo Chronicles, Kobo Deluxe, Chromium B.S.U. despite not switching back to the previous desktop resolution, Neverball/Neverputt, Rom Check Fail has the same switchback issue as Chromium B.S.U., LTris, LBreakout2, and Freedroid to name a few).  I "may" have figured out why some 15khz modes are so far off to the left, but I'm not entirely certain.  Still boggled by why the 15khz modes causes dialogue boxes and menus to become too tiny to read (even at 1024x768 31KHz).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »
I understand you're using a script to switch modes now as suggested. I forgot to mention you need to restore the desktop video mode explicitely by means of xrandr before deleting the custom modes. Yeah the problem of the tiny fonts after switching modes is there, I don't know if there's a way to solve it.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »
Just a note: the code of switchres should be deeply revised to catch nasty "NULL pointer dereferencing", "out of bounds array accesses" and other memory access violation.

I do agree, but do you mean there's already more access violations you're aware of or just that they potentially could exist?
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:18 pm »
Nope, mine was only a supposition based on what I've seen while trying to fix the segfault.
You can read my previous message as "IMHO there are some other nasty errors, which may lead to strange behaviors".

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »
So far, using "xrandr --dpi 96" has helped (along with re-closing everything).  Calamity, do you think something could be off with the 15KHz modes on the NEC?  The image is shifted down and to the left quite a bit (even on native linux stuff).  Much like in the smartphone pics I posted, no such issue occurs in any 31KHz or above mode.. more or less.

Also, for anyone else that has a sound card with a joystick port: DO NOT USE THE GRIP_MP MODULE!!  For some reason it will cause a kernel panic.  Two Gravis GamePad Pros work just fine  Might look into a quartet of Sidewinder Gmaepads down the road.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
Try reducing horizontal front porch and vertical back porch. I'll use the -dpi trick, thanks. Btw, is dkong stii wide screen?
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 08:26:44 pm »
I intentionally set it to 3:4 aspect for widescreen in the setup from the LiveCD.  So I actually have it so all vertical games are put into that ratio (with my spine as bad as it is, I'm not about to attempt to rotate a CRT that's 1.5x my body weight every time).  I've also added additional modelines, as games like Kobo Deluxe have multiple resolutions (so if someone else playing it on this game wanted another resolution, they could switch to it).  I do think in the past on the previous version of GA, just using the steps you mentioned did not work for playing Rom Check Fail in fullscreen mode.  Anyways, here's the verbose output from dkong.  As mentioned, even when I have XRandR switch the desktop to the default 648x480 interlaced resolution, the display seems to be forced to the left considerably.  It's definitely not a default issue with the emulators, from what I can tell.

[Edit]
Okay, so it seems this happens on ALL modelines that run at 15KHz and not just instances like Donkey Kong or the default resolution set up for X.  Maybe a bug or something with the kms driver?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:19:24 pm by NightSprinter »

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »
Few bugs and updates for you. I found the same bug I had before with GA not loading properly in grub.conf using 640x480. I found using 800x600 as my bootup works for some reason. So that's not an issue but good to note. Could be a conflict with my monitor.

Internet through network cable works but wireless does not. I put in my correct wireless ID and password.

The default Makvision 2929D monitor setting does not work on my display. I can use the default setting for 31K and it works fine.

Scanlines do not work in VESA mode but I'm using an ATI card and you were saying it might only work in NVIDIA.

Main problem I noticed is that GA is ignoring my crt_specs0 line in mame.ini. I was trying to change the horizontal frequency to 32K since my monitor has issues with games like MK on default 31.4K. It keeps using 31.4K even when I change it in Mame.ini.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:47:52 pm by mamenewb100 »

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »
Seems to be similar to some of my issues.  Do as I did, and post some logs in .txt format.  Do the same with your mame.ini/ume.ini files in .txt  for the authors.  If you need to, do this:
Code: [Select]
groovymame mk -monitor arcade_31 -verbose -log > mk.txt
For my issue, I have lowered the horizontal front and back porch to try and move it.  It seems to result in the same thing mamenewb100 has noticed.   Also, ves, Ansa89, Calamity, whether tonight in the next hour or tomorrow after work would you guys like me to pop in the old X300 in place of the 6700 I'm using to compare how things are between XP and Linux on what MAME is doing?

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:43 pm »
I was able to fix the problem by changing the monitor setting to "custom". Now it reads my mame.ini and even better.. the 120Hz mode actually works much to my shock! My monitor can't get over 80Hz in 31K mode but as others have pointed out, 320x240@120Hz essentially the same as 640x480@60Hz.

The original settings warped my screen because the issue my monitor has with low horizontal frequency settings. I had to bump up the horizontal frequency a little bit and get almost full screen scanline awesomeness now. I've noticed that the games don't have perfect doubling of the refresh and are off by about a frame causing slight jitter when their is scrolling. I'm thinking that may be a side effect of doubling the refresh.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:51:04 am by mamenewb100 »

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »
Calamity ive been reading your guide on install on a usb drive, and noticed your warning on the 31khz display on boot up, is this only when your first setting groovymame live cd up, or is it every time the PC boots up?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 02:09:28 pm »
IMPORTANT NOTE: As a rule, disable the splash screen, it causes the system to hang on boot on some systems (this may be the isse  mamenewb100 is reporting). Either edit grub.conf manually or use the new option in the video setup submenu / video grub.

@NightSprinter: In my experience, the exact same modeline that fits exactly for me in Windows, is slightly shifted to the left in Linux. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's definitely there. It's not a big problem because you can easily compensate for that, either with the monitor controls or by modifying the crt_specs line. When doing the second, try compensating both porches by the same amount when you change one of them, so if you decrease the horizontal front porch by 0.5 microseconds then increase the horizontal back porch by 0.5.

@mamenewb100: Very good news indeed, if your monitor accepts 120 Hz then it will look virtually the same as if it was 15 kHz natively, with the advantage of being able to use high resolutions when required. My Polostar won't accept 120 Hz. The jitter you notice is the only side effect but fortunately we have found a workaround that completely eliminates it, this was yesterday! Check this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130710.0.html
Hopefully next GM version will incorporate this new feature, so please be patient.

@lettuce: 31 kHz on boot, each time you boot. It only means a problem the first time because you need to find your way through a on screen menu right on boot. After that, it's the same story we've always had with normal cards and Windows, but here is better because you have 15 kHz just a few seconds after boot.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:16:19 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »
I know your getting harassed with allot of questions right now. I'm having issues with games running at wrong random refresh rates. Aren't most games supposed to go from 60.00Hz - > 120.00Hz? Some are 60.00 -> 112.00 and cause the games to run choppy.

I provided a text file and by all means, help people in order of who asked first.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 02:29:21 pm »
Ok, the problem is with your current crt_specs0 line, you run out of horizontal frequency. You can either increase the higher limit (31800), or decrease the vertical front/back porches, which seem too big to me, they are actually wasting all your frequency with unnecessary blank lines:

SwitchRes: Monitor range 31800.00-31800.00,100.00-125.00,0.940,3.770,1.890,0.349,0.064,1.017,0,0,200,256,0,0
SwitchRes: Monitor range 31800.00-31800.00,49.50-65.00,0.940,3.770,1.890,0.349,0.064,1.017,0,0,384,480,0,0

rng(0):  256 x 240_111.579p 31.912 [integ] scale(1, 1, 1) diff(0.00, 0.00, 51.5789) ratio(1.000, 1.000)

Try the default arcade_15 vertical values: 0.064, 0.192, 1.024
Steps to create a log:

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 02:51:24 pm »
Figured I'd just need to mess with the numbers. The ones you suggested actually lowered the refresh more. But it means the settings are making a difference. I'll make one adjustment at a time and see if I can find the right ones. Thanks again.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 03:20:44 pm »
Figured I'd just need to mess with the numbers. The ones you suggested actually lowered the refresh more. But it means the settings are making a difference. I'll make one adjustment at a time and see if I can find the right ones. Thanks again.

Yeah I noticed that when running at 120 Hz the usual settings duplicate the number of blanking lines required, this makes it much more restrictive for horizontal frequency. So, use the absolute lower values for the vertical porches and sync pulse that your monitor can handle, then raise the higher frequency setting a bit to a point you feel is safe.

Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »
Oh crap, not hearin' a good sound from the monitor when attempting to run a Neo-Geo game from messing with the horizontal porches.  Had to revert back to
crt_range0    15625-16200,45-80,3.500,4.700,5.800,0.062,0.062,0.740,0,0,160,288,448,488 to keep the picture stable.  For now, I've just adjusted my monitor... and the modelines in xorg are being rejected as "out of range" (yet groovymame/groovyume can add them and switch to fine).  I've left the xorg ati driver alone (as it's in the package ignore list).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 08:20:32 am »
Hi NightSprinter,

May I ask why would you still want to add modelines in xorg.conf? Is not the manual xrandr method working fine for you?
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 09:30:07 am »
Well, even using the xrandr method some games (Rom Check Fail, for example) do not switch to its requisite mode line when switching to full screen.  When putting the mode lines in xorg.conf, such games can utilize their correct full screen resolution.

It's not that I'm trying to be stubborn, the games are.  I think the out of sync issue might be due to the first HSync range only being listed as 15, and not 15.75-16.25

Okay, so I do need to make the first range end at 16.25 to make it work.  Now as far as the modelines go, I tried it with only three resolutions (1024x768, 800x600, and the default interlaced 648x480) set as hard-coded modelines in xorg.conf.  When I used switchres+xrandr to add the 256x240 mode, Rom Check Fail did not go into a proper full-screen mode (it switched to the resolution I think, but the image was still quite small).  I have an odd issue or two with a couple of games (Cho Ren Sha complains about a certain resolution, and Rosenkreuzstilette will not respond well to any keyboard or joystick input, I'll post the error of the former in a moment from the linux box).

So it seems for now I'll at least just leave the 256x240 mode in the configuration file, just so Rom Check Fail can run in proper full-screen mode.

Some windows games/emulators still crash wine (I'll re-download and see what's causing it), but here is what Cho Ren Sha gives me when I run it in wine after adding an interlaced 640x480 mode:
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x32 @55! (XRandR 1.2)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:41:44 pm by NightSprinter »

demetris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2013, 07:15:50 am
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »
Awesome!
Thanks for the new Version.