Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake  (Read 150554 times)

geecab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:15:34 pm
Re: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« Reply #360 on: March 11, 2024, 06:51:56 am »
Hi Geecab!

I managed to add my arcade button to turn off the PC by following your method: I created a bath file and set shutdown.exe -s -t 0

Then I was in joytokey.exe and I associated my button with the bath file and it works great!! :)

if it can help others

Sounds good to me GPForverer2024!

I've recently been adding a couple of new steering options for 270 degree wheels. I've got a configurable deadzone option working (0% to 100%. Default is 0%). I've added a steering range option (0% to 100%. Default is 100%, thus you'll use the full 270 degrees of your wheel) and a steering curve option ('linear', 'soft curve', 'medium curve' or 'hard curve'. Default is 'linear').

I might draw some diagrams to explain better what these options do.

I still need to add some sort option that will limit the player x axis movement on ice roads.

It'll probably be a week or so before I have a 64-bit version for you to try :)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:39:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2024, 05:29:25 pm »
Hi Geecab!

I was wondering what you could add as an option for the steering wheel, can't wait to be able to test all this!!

and 64-bit of course  !!

Thank you  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2024, 02:16:58 pm »
Hi GPForverer2024!

Version 1.5.0D3 is here! I've built a 32bit and a 64bit package (FYI. The 64bit version does not contain a gui_launcher at the moment).

The 32bit package:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S9SsFYUZEND6Fzx0FqDcX_r7ni1ZSft6/view?usp=drive_link

The 64bit package:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RarVSqMFmPDFeS4AKzmg6JiouVekycwV/view?usp=drive_link

It would be good to know if you notice a difference in performance when running the 64bit version.

In this debug version:

- Deadzone steering configuration option now works.

- New steering options for wheels with limited rotation; steering_curve and steering_range. Hopefully, the picture attached gives you an idea what these do. For your g29 wheel you should no longer have to set the steering sensitivity sky high anymore. I recommend setting steering sensitivity to 100%, then tweaking the steering range and curve to get the ideal response.

- Ice road response is now more like the arcade. After watching some youtube videos I noticed differences with MGPr and the actual arcade game. On the arcade version, the car does stop skidding after a short timeout if the wheel remains still (MGPr used to skid constantly when on ice). Also, as you noticed, MGPr's steering response was more sensitive when driving on ice than on normal roads, which was wrong. So I've fixed this and also added some new ice road gameplay options as I might choose to tweak these settings in future.

- Small change to the in-game editor, where if you are viewing an option with a long description, the description will scroll across the screen (rather than being cropped).

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:20:45 pm by geecab »

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2024, 04:17:41 am »
Hi GEECAB!

I just tested the D3 version 32 Bits and 64 Bits for information as weird as it may seem impossible to launch the import instance for the 2 versions in fact it launches the game directly to me (playfield)

so I took my D2 import.cfg file and put it in the cfg D3 folder and the no window opens.

if I run the export.cfg instance, yes it works for the D3 32 Bits and D3 64Bits for speed, it's like 1.5.0 so impeccable but hard to tell because I only have a window and no score display on the second screen so no slowdown..

For the steering wheel, what an extraordinary job!! :applaud:

Yes you were right, the level of sensitivity is very high, I had to lower the values!!
 Here's my setup:
 Steering_sensivity: 100%
 Steering_Weight:     60%
 Steering_joy_Curve: Linear
 Steering_joy_Range: 60%

For me the car responds very well with the 270° steering wheel

For the car driving on ice, not a good visual sensation because the car jerks!

The effect in the D2 was much nicer apart from the fact that you swipe for too long, maybe add a swipe option for the car to make sure that the car stops not too sharp, which creates the jerky effect I think?

once again, what can I say other than BRAVO and THANK YOU for this remarkable work!!

:)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2024, 05:53:23 am »
Hi  GPForverer2024!

I should have mentioned, configurations made with older versions won't be compatible with V1.5.0D3, sorry about that. The configurations in the D3 package should all work OK. If you run mgpr on command line with an older config, it should tell you why the configuration is incompatible (which configuration options it is missing), and then maye you can manually add those  an get it running.

Regarding the ice jerkyness, I'll look into into it. For the time being try increasing the ice_skid_time (I think that's what I called it...) to maximum.

Glad that the 64bit version ran OK 👍 🙂

suverman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 11:38:53 pm
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2024, 01:41:31 am »
In this debug version:

- New steering options for wheels with limited rotation; steering_curve and steering_range. Hopefully, the picture attached gives you an idea what these do. For your g29 wheel you should no longer have to set the steering sensitivity sky high anymore. I recommend setting steering sensitivity to 100%, then tweaking the steering range and curve to get the ideal response.

- Ice road response is now more like the arcade. After watching some youtube videos I noticed differences with MGPr and the actual arcade game. On the arcade version, the car does stop skidding after a short timeout if the wheel remains still (MGPr used to skid constantly when on ice). Also, as you noticed, MGPr's steering response was more sensitive when driving on ice than on normal roads, which was wrong. So I've fixed this and also added some new ice road gameplay options as I might choose to tweak these settings in future.

- Small change to the in-game editor, where if you are viewing an option with a long description, the description will scroll across the screen (rather than being cropped).

Enjoy :)

Amazing, thank you!!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2024, 02:29:59 am »
Amazing, thank you!!

No worries suverman! 🙂

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2024, 02:58:16 am »
Hi GPForverer2024 !

I just tested the D3 version 32 Bits and 64 Bits for information as weird as it may seem impossible to launch the import instance for the 2 versions in fact it launches the game directly to me (playfield)

I've been giving some thought to this, I think perhaps the configuration you are specifying on the cmd line may have a typo in it. If mgpr.exe doesn't find the configuration you specified in its 'cfg' directory, it'll create a default configuration (that is just the playfield) for you with the name you specified. I'm guessing I know... perhaps try running mgpr.exe without any cmd line arguments, it should list all the configurations files it finds in 'cfg', allowing you to pick one by typing in its index. Try running the configuration that way.

maybe add a swipe option for the car to make sure that the car stops not too sharp, which creates the jerky effect I think

Cool, good idea 👍I'll add an ice_skid_fade setting (or something like that) that is used too choose how fast the skid fades to a 'no skidding' state.

Hope this helps 🙂

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2024, 03:07:48 am »
Hi Geecab!

That's it, the 2 64-bit screens work!!!! whaooouu   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I had to reverse the launch of the 2 command-line instances, namely: start Mgpr...... export.cfg and call Mgpr........ import.cfg

And for the ice cream yes I found the ice option and I modified it it's much better!

Small question for the playfield my screen is in a vertical position so elongation of the image but especially of the cars, do you think it will be possible to add an option to modify the W and H of the cars??

otherwise once again BRAVO and BIG THANK YOU FOR THIS FABULOUS MGPR! ;)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2024, 03:18:14 am »
Thanks also for adding ice_skid_fade soon!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2024, 04:37:50 am »
This is excellent news GPForverer2024!

Glad you got those configs working. I could modify mgpr.exe when you try to load an old configuration to make things a little more user friendly. It could prompt you saying "You are trying to load an old config, should I update it with the latest settings? If you choose to do so, the config may not run on older versions of mgpr.exe. Continue? (Y/N)" sort of thing.

Small question for the playfield my screen is in a vertical position so elongation of the image but especially of the cars, do you think it will be possible to add an option to modify the W and H of the cars??

There is a 'zoom' option I added in somewhere (might be called playfield_zoom), in the system options. I think that might be what you are after? Let me know if not 🙂
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:46:17 am by geecab »

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2024, 12:07:42 pm »
Hi GEECAB!

the idea is not bad for compatible configs or maybe make a backup of the config in case of MGPR update?
Will this allow us to load our config faster?

Otherwise for the zoom option that's exactly what I'm looking for!!

I also think the Stunt circuit at the start there is the checkerboard on the ground (white and black square) is it possible to shorten it because for me it hurts the eyes with the scrolling, I think a length of about 25,4 inch would be enough, it would just be a starting line. What do you think?

Geecab really thank you! :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2024, 04:05:22 am »
Hi GPForverer2024!

Glad the zoom option helped👍

Great to know you are playing the stunt track! 🙂 Regarding the checkered road section, I can understand how that could hurt your eyes. Rather than shorten the section, I'd prefer to add  a new config option that let's you dull it's brightness. Lets try that first and see.

Now you have been playing about with the 64bit package for a while, how do you think it compares  (with regards to cpu performance) to the v1.5.0 package? Any better do you think?

🙂

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2024, 11:18:42 am »
Hi GEECAB!

Since the steering wheel update, I've been having a lot of fun on it!

For the checkerboard good idea to add an option on brightness!!

Otherwise regarding the difference of v1.5.0 and the 64 bits,

v1.5.0 I have a slowdown as soon as I start the car with 2 screens!! because if only 1 screen there is no slowing down!!

For the 64 bits we see a clear improvement in the starting of the car, maybe not as good as the v1.5.0 but not negligible, for proof I can't stop playing on it lol with 2 screens!! because the same if 1 screens no slowdown

conclusion: yes it's much better  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2024, 11:40:09 am »
Hi GPForverer2024!

I've made another debug version for you to try. This is v1.5.0D4 64bit:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WrYbnWwXWHlQJ92IPq9cDjWoIHR-AJDj/view?usp=drive_link

I've made the following changes:

- New refresh_rate option added (Only supported when running MGPr in import mode). By default, it is set to 50 (because the game runs at 50 frames per second). If you run your import instance with refresh_rate set to say, 10, it should really free up CPU usage and allow your export instance to run at full speed. 10 frames per second might sound low but you really don't notice it when just viewing the scoreboard LEDs :)

- Renamed the ice skid options slightly, and added a new skid decay time option (The options are: ice_skid_trigger_speed, ice_skid_trigger_steer, ice_skid_intensity, ice_skid_time_active, ice_skid_time_decay). The skid decay option does seem to work well when using mouse or keys to steer. For limited rotation wheels and joysticks, it still feels a little off to me. See what you think anyway...

- New chequered_road_brightness option added. I agree with you, chequered was always a bit too bright. I've tweaked the default brightness so its less dazzling than it has been. This option allows you to darken it more if you wish.

Unfortunately, I haven't written the "update old configuration to the latest version" code yet. So you'll have to do some manual tweaking again to get your old configs working on 1.5.0D4. Sorry about that (Just turned out a bit trickier than I had first thought).

Hope this helps :)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2024, 06:09:44 am »
Hi GEECAB!

Thanks for this new debug version D4_64Bits

Frankly, you're a genius to have thought about the frame rate for import instances!

Actually I lowered it to 10 and yes no more slowdown on the other hand only (note) the revcounter jerks a lot so I raised the frame rate to 20 and the perfect one!!

By the way, I've noticed that when the car has an accident and it goes down to the bottom right of the Playfield, the needle of the Revcounter and too long to go down, maybe speed it up to go down faster?

otherwise the game runs like version 1.5.0 with 2 screens!!

-for skidding options ice_skid_trigger_speed, ice_skid_trigger_steer, ice_skid_intensity, ice_skid_time_active, ice_skid_time_decay I tested them all one by one with the steering wheel and unfortunately no feeling of slipping, on the other hand I tested with the keyboard yes it works (weird)

Regarding the option checkered_road_brightness :

it hurts the eyes less, I also think, instead of touching the white tiles for brightness, can we not do the opposite rather the black tiles and leave the white? What do you think? I hope I was able to answer your questions correctly

And don't be sorry for the configuration that has to be put back in hand! Already what you're doing is huge!!!

THANK YOU :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2024, 01:00:02 pm »
This is excellent news GPForverer2024!

Thanks so much for your kind words, honestly its a pleasure! I'm actually really enjoying investigating this steering/screen stuff. Its something I've wanted to get right for while, but just don't have the equipment, so I really appreciate you trying out all these debug builds and all your feedback :)

Just so glad you've got the export instance running at full speed. I think that 1920x480 screen you have is quite attractive for anyone building an arcade cab, so its nice to find a way to comfortably run a scoreboard instance on it. Might even get one for myself now lol!

Actually I lowered it to 10 and yes no more slowdown on the other hand only (note) the revcounter jerks a lot so I raised the frame rate to 20 and the perfect one!!
By the way, I've noticed that when the car has an accident and it goes down to the bottom right of the Playfield, the needle of the Revcounter and too long to go down, maybe speed it up to go down faster?

I know exactly what you mean and I've just fixed that. I've also made it possible to change the refresh_rate for the game instance too (Not that you want to do that, but I figured in future somebody might want to in future). The game actually plays pretty well at 25FPS, but less than that gets a bit 'interesting' (Actually feels like an Atari ST port of the game somehow!).

Regarding the ice skidding issue. I've fixed quite a bit of stuff in that area now. I've also backtracked on the whole skid timeout thing I added. I was looking at more youtube videos and I've now seen several monaco gp arcade machines that don't show the ice skid ever timing out... So its possible the arcade machine captured in the video I originally watched (That did show the skid timing out) may have had a board fault or something. I've left the options in the configuration anyway (so people can enable a skid timeout if you really want to).

Anyways, I've done another build, v1.5.0D5:-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sJpjC0ydX0HubQZ9499mcfVtuyoIcpf6/view?usp=drive_link

I wrote this about it in the release notes:

- Fix a few bugs with the ice skid state machine.

- Modify operation of the ice_skid_time_active option, it can now be
   configured to never expire when set to its maximum value (5000).

- Change ice skid default settings.
   By default, skidding will only start when the steer threshold is reached.
   Once started, the car will skid indefinitely (Until the car slows right
   down, or crashes, or drives onto a normal road). I decided not to set a
   finite skid time as default because, since I working on this, I have seen
   youtube videos of arcade machines where the skid never times out. I suspect
   the arcade machine I watched originally (that did have a finite skid time)
   may have had a board fault. The default ice skid settings are now:-
       ice_skid_trigger_speed     30
       ice_skid_trigger_steer     20
       ice_skid_intensity         50
       ice_skid_time_active       5000
       ice_skid_time_decay        0

- refresh_rate option now supports all modes.

- Fix revcounter bug when running import mode at a low refresh rate.

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: March 26, 2024, 10:39:13 am »
Hi Geecab!

I thought I'd answer yesterday but too much work sorry

I tested the D5 version and amazing the car for me reacts very well on the ice I just increase the ice_skid_intensity to 100 and the perfect one!!

For the rev counter it works very well now  :applaud:

Now I'm looking for the option to display the green and red dash to display in the score window with the pursuit mode

nice job Geecab!!

THANK YOU :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2024, 06:35:52 am »
That's great news about the ice and rev counter GPForverer2024!

Now I'm looking for the option to display the green and red dash to display in the score window with the pursuit mode

Ah, unfortunately I don't currently export the overtake LED state. Pretty sure that will be an easy thing to do so I'll add that.

Also, I'm not sure if you played any of the '3cabs' configurations, but when running the pursuit/stunt track, there are flashing artwork lights when you are being chased that I don't get exported either, but I should probably export that too. I also thought it would be cool to have something that lights up when you car is damaged (and you need a spanner), like an orange "check engine" warning light.

Something I thought of that I thought we be cool would be to have the big "Monaco GP" sign illuminate when you've entered a coin (and playing the game), but then goes dim after you've finished playing. Not sure the best way of doing this though...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 06:37:57 am by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2024, 01:15:34 pm »
Actually, I've just checked and the import/export of those overtake LEDs should work in the release you have (Although its not very obvious how to enable them). On your import instance, in GAMEPLAY OPTIONS, enable PRO_MONACO_GP_MODE and then those overtake LEDs should appear.

You'll also notice when you do this, the 'Score' LEDs strip will extend from 4 to 5 digits, and you'll get an additional 'Super Racer' 5 digit LEDs strip (Because that's what the Pro Monaco GP bezel had).

Hope this helps :)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: Today at 03:39:29 am »
Hi GEECAB!

That's it, I found to add the green dashes, thanks for the info!!

Regarding the Monaco GP which lights up by adding a coin to play frankly great idea I already image it with a neon effect style it flashes 2 or 3 times before lighting up !!

For the logo excellent engine problem! And I also thought for the logo of the headlights that lights up when you switch to night mode would be great!!

I was also thinking for the starting checkerboard if it would be too complicated to add an option to shorten it?

For example, the timer starts once the line has been crossed?

(it's just an idea)

THANK YOU GEECAB