Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My rotating display  (Read 10056 times)

GoYouSalukis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2020, 11:58:59 am
My rotating display
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've built two basic 2 player MAME cabinets with 27" tv's based on a defender cabinet and one single player bartop arcade for other people.

Right now I'm working on my own machine. It is an old Super Pac-man cab that was converted to 1942. All the guts were dead, and it sat out in the sun a long time, so I don't feel too bad about converting it.

I've built the rotating mechanism for the display. It turns on a turntable bearing from Vex Robotics: http://www.vexrobotics.com/vex/products/accessories/motion/276-1810.html. To drive the VEX servo, I am using the pololu maestro servo driver.

It works pretty well, but you can be the judges: .

I am not having much luck with getting hyperspin or mala to rotate the monitor automatically. I have two batch files that rotate the display to vertical and back to horizontal based. They call the command line .EXE that comes with the motor driver and execute two scripts saved on the device.

I don't need step by step directions, but if you can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Here is a photo of the mechanism:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91367516@N08/8501108885/# (can't figure out how to insert directly).
Thanks!
Justin

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: My rotating display
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:28 pm »
you need the startcom plugin by DaOldMan:

http://malafe.net/index.php?page=plugins

I can give more help on this but short of time.  take a look at that and post back if that doesn't get you going with Mala.  there are hyperspin solutions too, but you have to rotate back to horizontal after every vertical game exit. 

GoYouSalukis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:03:24 pm »
Thanks! I had tried that, but kept getting an error when I tried to register the OCX with regsvr because I wasn't running it as an admin.

It works now! Thanks!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:16 am »
Nice setup. Looks like the monitor rotates smoothly.
Good work!

GoYouSalukis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:44 am »
Thanks for the compliment (from one of the godfathers of rots going to rotating monitors!) A few years ago I was going to make your circuit, but didn't finish it.

I like my setup, and it works great for a flat display like the Super Pac-Man, but I am not happy with the low viewing angle. Especially with a large control panel pushing me further away from the screen. I may modify the cab to tilt the display up, but I don't think the servo has the huevos to rotate a display at that angle. I bought the cheaper servo from vex. I should have bought the stronger one, but I didn't anticipate my issue.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who made rotating displays possible!

arximidis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2020, 03:52:48 am
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
Hello

Very Cool!!!!

By the way, the new version of HTMLFrontEnd accepts parameters. I can pass for example a parameter to javascript (when you start the program) to rotate 90degrees. It is very easy in the new version

If you want to give you the example code don't hesitate to ask

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:34:34 am by arximidis »