Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PiMame- are we finally there?  (Read 15782 times)

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: PiMame- are we finally there?
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »
Then you have the other Pi problem, it doesn't output video in a format that is really friendly to arcade game emulation.

If your argument is that it doesn't output VGA, neither does any modern PC.  But one can get around that with a DVI->VGA adapter.

Or if one is using an LCD, then the point is moot.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 11:41:44 pm »
Wow, I am very surprised by the misinformation and vitriol.  To each their own, but, fwiw, the pi runs mame just fine, a lot newer version than .17, it can overclock to 900MHz and will run problem free for years doing so, without fans or a heat sink even.  For some it may not be their thing, and to others, it'll be just fine.  There are also much better options for automation, but that's getting a bit off topic.  No, it can't drive an arcade monitor, and wont play newer 3d games, etc, but then again, to each their own.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 11:54:40 pm »
Sorry, I had the version number off, it is based off mame .37b5 which is 13 years old, not the 16 year old .17.

Wow, I am very surprised by the misinformation and vitriol.  To each their own, but, fwiw, the pi runs mame just fine, a lot newer version than .17, it can overclock to 900MHz and will run problem free for years doing so, without fans or a heat sink even.  For some it may not be their thing, and to others, it'll be just fine.  There are also much better options for automation, but that's getting a bit off topic.  No, it can't drive an arcade monitor, and wont play newer 3d games, etc, but then again, to each their own.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 12:19:15 am »
and they're all IMHO terrible from what I've seen, with people making excuses for it 'oh it's fine with a bit of frameskipping' etc...

it might be 900mhz but from what I've seen real life MAME performance is much lower than you'd expect from such a system due to other factors.

it's cheap, you get what you pay for, it's not good value, just cheap.

I really wish people would stop porting old versions of MAME to crappy platforms and just accept that proper emulation needs something significantly better hardware-wise, or something that isn't MAME and has rather been developed from the ground up for one of these ARM based platforms.  It's painful seeing the old bugs and piss-poor emulations resurrected over and over again in some zombified corpse of an emulator just because people are trying to be cheap; at least if somebody made something new they could do it with current knowledge.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:23:07 am by Haze »

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
Re: Re: PiMame- are we finally there?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:56 am »
Has anyone got any further with a Pi build?

I'd love an update is someone is looking into this!  :cheers:

where do you expect it to go?

people have shown what the Pi is capable of, running an ancient version of MAME relatively badly.  The limits are now well defined, it's not magically going to improve overnight and you're completely handcuffed with regards what improvements you can make due to the limited capabilities of the MAME from that era if you want to backport anything newer.

taking a pi-based project any further would be sinking a lot of time and money into something for very little reward.

Wow, that was a completely unnecessary response to a perfectly reasonable question :dizzy:

UFO - It looks like Shea Silverman has a new book out called "Rasberry Pi Gaming" and I also see they compiled PiMAME to work with the Xin-Mo encoder, so looks like there is progress. I picked up a Pi for my brother for his birthday as he said he was bored and needed a project. I think I will convince him to try the MAME route and see for myself.

Thanks Typefighter...

I agree - I've supported Haze through some of his Mame battles, but meh...

Thanks for the info. I'll look that book up. For me, I was given a Pi for my birthday, and have been looking into some projects using it wil my Canon 5d. There is some interesting stuff going on.

I just came across this old thread and thought people may have taken things a little further...

:cheers:

DHTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2014, 03:48:36 pm
  • Arcade Flashback
    • Arcade Flashback - Hand Made Custom Arcade Machines UK
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 03:57:30 am »
and they're all IMHO terrible from what I've seen, with people making excuses for it 'oh it's fine with a bit of frameskipping' etc...

it might be 900mhz but from what I've seen real life MAME performance is much lower than you'd expect from such a system due to other factors.

it's cheap, you get what you pay for, it's not good value, just cheap.

I really wish people would stop porting old versions of MAME to crappy platforms and just accept that proper emulation needs something significantly better hardware-wise, or something that isn't MAME and has rather been developed from the ground up for one of these ARM based platforms.  It's painful seeing the old bugs and piss-poor emulations resurrected over and over again in some zombified corpse of an emulator just because people are trying to be cheap; at least if somebody made something new they could do it with current knowledge.

Looks like somebody got out from the wrong side of the bed, and from this narrow minded view, obviously has never use a Pi.
Yes Pi can run a version of mame and some of the earlier games very well, I think this is an excellent way for people looking to get in to mame and don’t have a lot of spare cash, Pi is a great way to experience mame on a budget.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 05:20:38 am »
I like the R-pie and I don't think its very good at Mame.

If someone wants to make a hand held Mame machine, and now ones going to force me to use it, good for them.
If some one wants to stick one in a full size cap, I would recommend not to.

I would not recommend the current iterations of the PI in a Mame cabe. But one day, in the not so distant future, a R-pi model will be faster then the P4 most people are using in there cabs now. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:57:02 am by Locke141 »

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 11:37:17 am »
or .106 http://blog.sheasilverman.com/2013/01/pleasant-surprise-new-version-of-advancemame-was-released/
take your pick

Oh goodness that would have to be painfully slow. Mame 106 takes 2 to 4 times the processing power that the .37b releases did (or MUCH MUCH MORE for some titles). Just did a quick speed check using Ninja Kids with Mame 37b15 and Mame .106 and running unthrottled on my desktop pc.

Mame 37b15 650 fps
Mame 106 240 fps

I didn't pick Ninja Kids for any real reason other than it was the first thing I tried that worked. in both versions with the same romset. Actual important titles are probably going to have even bigger speed decreases as I imagine the drivers for important titles have been tweaked and worked on and improved a lot more (and thus require even more CPU cycles).

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »
Sorry if I do come across a bit harsh in my views on this but we've spent the last 10-15 years not only adding new stuff but fixing a lot of bugs across multiple drivers.

It would be easy to argue that MAME is irrelevant these days if you simply look at what's been added and conclude that none of that is relevant to you but like I said, if you look deeper, aside from a few long standing regressions, things are much better these days than they were even in 0.106, nevermind 0.37.

even in 0.150 I've fixed bugs in Data East hardware games Funky Jet, Rohga, and Edward Randy by improving the protection emulation.

These 3 games are all games that might be within the realm of running at 'ok' speeds on a Pi (although the build I tried at a friends place was struggling with everything 68k based for some reason, so maybe not)

That's merely one example from the latest build, if you consider that there have been hundreds of releases in that period, each one sporting a bunch of similar fixes and improvements then you can see how much they add up, even if you don't notice it immediately.

Obviously if a you port 0.150 to a Pi it's not going to run at all well, so forget that, but likewise if people resurrect 0.106, again, all they're doing is reintroducing people to a whole bunch of bugs including the ones I just mentioned.  It seems for every new platform people resurrect these same old versions with the same old bugs, so really despite having new platforms we're seeing no actual progress.  That was why my original response to the question was 'where do you expect it to go?'

That's why I wish instead of porting MAME somebody would actually start their own project specifically for these lower powered platforms where they could draw the knowledge from the very latest version of MAME, but use it in something completely fresh, without the overhead, with very specific optimizations for the platforms etc. because not even OLD versions of MAME were really optimized with something like an ARM based Pi in mind.

Porting old versions of MAME is the lazy / cheap option, so it's easy to see why it happens, but it does mean you've hit the absolute limits of what the Pi can do *unless* somebody breaks out of that cycle and starts something new.  Until then you've seen what it can do, you've seen what performance you get and you're going to have to live with all the old bugs.  Maybe some fixes can be backported, the ones I've mentioned would actually be pretty easy, but the architecture has changed a lot in many areas when it comes to video fixes etc. and the core is a lot more capable these days so even things that might look like simple backports on paper might not be at all.

Personally I feel it makes MAME look bad and it makes the Pi look bad.  While in reality old MAME versions were pretty bad, and the Pi is pretty bad too, that doesn't make me feel much better about it ;-)

I'm not trying to troll here, just trying to explain the reality of the situation.  If people really love the Pi and want it to shine they should be pushing for people to do the same thing, create something new, something fresh, something based on all the *knowledge* present in the very latest version of MAME, but at the same time something with the actual platform in mind, not just another port of the same old MAME versions people have been porting to everything for the past however long... Even if you feel the Pi is the answer, PiMame isn't.

Obviously this isn't something for Mamedev to do, our goals are simply to improve the emulation, improve the knowledge that's out there and create something to last the ages with current hardware as our target (because it makes this task much, much easier) but it is pretty depressing when people completely disregard all our current findings and spread something we know is old and buggy rather than taking the initiative and using our findings to create something better.  Like I've said, to me our work is like a document, a reference to what is correct; seeing people port MAME 0.37 is like seeing a hospital open up and exclusively use 16th century medicine because they can't get the doctors, sure, it kept people alive, but barely.

Maybe it seems strange to you for an actual Mamedev telling you that Mame isn't the answer to your problems and isn't going to take you anywhere beyond what you've already got.. but that is how I see it.

So please guys, find yourself a new hero to champion, somebody to throw your support behind, somebody who can create something new that isn't MAME instead of regurgitating all these old versions with their old bugs.  That's the way forward, that's the way really low powered devices might stand some chance of becoming decent emulation boxes, so much potential is being wasted right now by sticking with MAME in these environments even if it does have more weight behind it.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:56:02 pm by Haze »

DHTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2014, 03:48:36 pm
  • Arcade Flashback
    • Arcade Flashback - Hand Made Custom Arcade Machines UK
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 01:43:14 pm »
I think people use mame because it so well supported and loads of forums to help with issues and errors, users are familiar with it. I can understand why mame was chosen to port to the pi, I can't see another arcade emulator getting the same support for development. The Pi is so easy to swap the OS, just pull out the SD card and plug another one in, PiMame on one and Openelec (XMBC) on another. Yes the Pi has it's limitation and sometimes is painfully slow to use, buy hey it's fun, and that what is all about, right!

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 01:54:24 pm »
I think people use mame because it so well supported and loads of forums to help with issues and errors, users are familiar with it. I can understand why mame was chosen to port to the pi, I can't see another arcade emulator getting the same support for development. The Pi is so easy to swap the OS, just pull out the SD card and plug another one in, PiMame on one and Openelec (XMBC) on another. Yes the Pi has it's limitation and sometimes is painfully slow to use, buy hey it's fun, and that what is all about, right!

Oh, I agree.

That's one of the strengths of MAME and the MAME brand, people will continue to use it, and support it etc. even against superior offerings.  In many ways sheer size and familiarity and ability to offer something for everybody are what made it what it is.  This has some real advantages and helps establish MAME as a standard for documentation, something that people follow, something authoritative.

It's also one of the big negatives tho, it can discourage development outside of MAME because whatever you do people stick with MAME, stick with what they know, want your progress in MAME rather than wherever you're making it and this I feel is a more detrimental effect, and the one we see a lot with low powered systems like the Pi.

The person who ports "MAME" to 'new platform X' gets all the mainstream news coverage even if they've really achieved nothing except porting an old version of MAME.  The person who wants to create their own more suitable emulator from the ground up or try something new doesn't get mentioned anywhere and is quickly forgotten even if they're doing something much more worthwhile.  It's a little unfair.

Of course MAME / MAMEdevs can end up on the other end of the stick sometimes these days, as we see with MESS (which is where our future lies)  It doesn't matter how much we do right, how many systems we emulate well or unique things we offer, people will stick with their established emulators and demand the improvements get made there too, or somebody hacks the ROMs so that they work in the other emulator; I've seen this a fair bit with the unlicensed Genesis games, even if there are a number of other emulators offering decent support for them now, including MESS, people only want them in Kega Fusion.  It's counter-productive and discouraging to those putting in an effort.

Hell I've seen the same with UME/MESS for NeoGeo CDZ emulation, had people telling me they would use it if it was in MAME, but otherwise aren't interested even if UME/MESS *are* MAME in everything except the name and what they emulate.  Incidentally this is one of the many reasons I feel we should just fully absorb it and support everything; people simply see our alternative offerings as inferior because they're 'not MAME' even if they're running the exact same cores, and in many cases the exact same code as MAME. If you run NeoCDZ in UME/MESS it's running the exact same MAME code that gets run if you run a NeoGeo MVS game in MAME aside from the bits to handle the CD.  It's all psychological, it's all about the brand and perceived support networks, not the product.

That's why I'm saying you should really find somebody who is willing to do something more tailored to these platforms and throw your full support behind them, because it's the only way these platforms are actually going to see something better, there's no reason they shouldn't be running a lot more than they do if people were just willing to move away from MAME in such low-spec situations. Remember, even when those MAME versions were originally released they had much higher requirements than other emulators, because MAME never put performance as first priority but instead documentation and conveying what we knew in a clear way at the expense of that.  By porting old MAME versions you take the disadvantages of them (poor performance relative to other emulators of the period) without really having any use for advantages (most correct / clear knowledge at the time) to a platform where good performance is everything, and documentation / code clarity means nothing (because it's 10 years out of date and irrelevant to the Pi anyway) It's a complete mismatch!

I know this must sound like Bill Gates telling people not to use Windows and to throw their money at Linus instead, but hey, sometimes you've just got to give good advice.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:07:54 pm by Haze »

johnnygal2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2022, 03:16:04 am
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:18 pm »

If you mean a physical build, then yes.

I appreciate all the comments later in this thread about the Pi's limitations but for my key requirements i.e. cost, size, ease of use and ability to play older titles, it is perfect.

See here for some photos:
http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/530/build-pimame-cocktail-table

I am using the advancemenu frontend and using Mame4all as the emulator.

Each to their own... ;)

Regards.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:37:12 pm by johnnygal2 »

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 04:05:04 pm »
I haven't looked in a while, but did anybody ever do anything with one of the significantly higher horsepower ARM boards, like the Beaglebone Black? Seems like for a little more money, you'd have something a lot more flexible, capable of playing more games, and a better alternative to a (ugh) 60-in-1.

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »

If you mean a physical build, then yes.

I appreciate all the comments later in this thread about the Pi's limitations but for my key requirements i.e. cost, size, ease of use and ability to play older titles, it is perfect.

See here for some photos:
http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/530/build-pimame-cocktail-table

I am using the advancemenu frontend and using Mame4all as the emulator.

Each to their own... ;)

Regards.

:applaud:

Well done and a nice build - your woodworking skills looked pretty good!

:applaud:

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:44 pm »
I haven't looked in a while, but did anybody ever do anything with one of the significantly higher horsepower ARM boards, like the Beaglebone Black? Seems like for a little more money, you'd have something a lot more flexible, capable of playing more games, and a better alternative to a (ugh) 60-in-1.

IIRC, someone here attempted a Beaglebone Black build, but encountered a number of significant hurdles and abandoned using it for the time being.

I know one of the big issues with the Black is its more limited in terms of output resolutions and has no seperate audio out (IIRC, it's all through the mini HDMI).

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »

I think it is going to be a case of "No matter where you go, there you are". As in the same basic problem is going to remain regardless of what arm board you buy. Dollar for dollar a used PC is always going to be more powerful, have wider capabilities, more storage and will be simpler to use.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »
Dollar for dollar a used PC is always going to be more powerful, have wider capabilities, more storage and will be simpler to use.

And consume more energy, generate more heat & noise, take up more physical space...

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 06:33:31 pm »
Dollar for dollar a used PC is always going to be more powerful, have wider capabilities, more storage and will be simpler to use.

And consume more energy, generate more heat & noise, take up more physical space...

But generally works right, which trumps everything else.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 06:43:53 pm »

But generally works right, which trumps everything else.

Well, sure, if *that's* one of your goals...  :P    ;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
:cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***