Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finally going to build my first cabinet - Some questions I have about buttons  (Read 1663 times)

sleong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
I've been thinking about doing something like this for the past few years but finally decided to really make this a reality rather than just think and ponder about it.

I'm just planning to build my first bartop/mini cabinet then if this is a success I'll then build a full size cabinet.  Also because I already have the wood material for a bartop cabinet. 

The plan is to mainly play old arcade games or games that I can remember like Street Fighter 2 series, Pang, Metal Slug, Super Puzzle Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, etc.  Yes a lot of fighting games and I plan to have 6 buttons per player.

Now I'd like to know what other buttons or functions will I need?  I plan on using the I-PAC2 if there are enough inputs for my needs.

So I have planned:
Player 1: 6 buttons, start, coin
Player 2: 6 buttons, start, coin
Universal: Pause, Esc
Total 18 buttons.

Are there buttons that would be shared like coin so that I save on an input?  As I remember correctly when you go to arcades there were very seldom games that had a coin slot for each player.  Maybe the odd games.

I will not have anything for pinball, there will be no spinner or trackball, etc.

I may make two control panels one with straight buttons and one with a slight curve.  I still don't know the difference yet.  When I went to the arcades there were only the straight buttons.

I'll probably build something similar to the WeeCade but with changes and modifications to meet my needs.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Welcome aboard, Sleong.

Now I'd like to know what other buttons or functions will I need?  I plan on using the I-PAC2 if there are enough inputs for my needs.

So I have planned:
Total 18 buttons.

Are there buttons that would be shared like coin so that I save on an input?  As I remember correctly when you go to arcades there were very seldom games that had a coin slot for each player.  Maybe the odd games.
Don't forget to include 8 inputs for joystick (4 per stick) which brings your total to 26 encoder inputs -- the I-Pac2 has 32 so you have room to spare.

I'd recommend keeping the P2 Coin because some games like Gauntlet, Simpsons, and TMNT assign credits based on which coin slot is used.

These games also have 2-player version ROMs that would work great with your proposed setup.

I may make two control panels one with straight buttons and one with a slight curve.  I still don't know the difference yet.  When I went to the arcades there were only the straight buttons.

Slagcoin layouts + test panel on a cardboard box + test playing will tell you which layout you like better before you go to the trouble of making two panels.   :cheers:

Scott

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Your memory was wrong about coin slots and players. Almost everything made had a least 2 separate coin slots, and 3 and 4 player games always had 3 or 4 of them. Exceptions were few and far between and usually made in Japan.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Buttons are only a couple of bucks each for non lighted ones so get a few spares.  You never know when you might want them for things like pinball flippers or the on button for your computer if you have one.

sleong

• Offline Offline

So I have planned:
Total 18 buttons.

I will not have anything for pinball, there will be no spinner or trackball, etc.

I'm just looking at the Ultimarc site and just comparing between the IPAC2 and the U-HID.  Which would you suggest?  I'm aiming for the IPAC2 due to the cost difference!  Unless the extra money is necessary for the U-HID.  I may try the U-HID in a full size cabinet one day though.

What are your thoughts?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Ipac 2 is the standard.  It has 32 inputs so don't skimp on $2 buttons to save money by keeping inputs low.  I cannot see putting together a cab without pinball buttons but that could be me.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
If you just want buttons and digital (microswitch) joysticks, either one will work.

If you also want analog (potentiometer) joysticks, a Star Wars Yoke, analog gas/brake pedals, or a 270 degree steering wheel, a UHID/A-Pac/other analog encoder can do the needed analog to digital conversion.

Spinners and trackballs require optical encoders.

Scott

Caparo8bit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2018, 02:13:32 am
  • Hyperspin/Maximus
i bought 19 LED 12v buttons for $52 and they look amaizing even when the lights r on ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/221064005914?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

sleong

• Offline Offline
Buttons are only a couple of bucks each for non lighted ones so get a few spares.  You never know when you might want them for things like pinball flippers or the on button for your computer if you have one.

Well this is only a bartop cabinet, almost like a trial cabinet for me.  I know I won't use flippers for pinball so . . . . I will probably get a few spares for sure!  Just in case I get a dud or something!

sleong

• Offline Offline
Ipac 2 is the standard.  It has 32 inputs so don't skimp on $2 buttons to save money by keeping inputs low.  I cannot see putting together a cab without pinball buttons but that could be me.

No trying to save money by keeping the button inputs low, I will get extra buttons just in case and maybe for a full size cabinet one day.  I just want to make sure for the number of inputs I want to have the IPAC 2 will do the job.  I may try the U-HID for a full size cabinet or just stick with the IPAC 2 if it works well enough for my needs.

sleong

• Offline Offline
If you just want buttons and digital (microswitch) joysticks, either one will work.

If you also want analog (potentiometer) joysticks, a Star Wars Yoke, analog gas/brake pedals, or a 270 degree steering wheel, a UHID/A-Pac/other analog encoder can do the needed analog to digital conversion.

Spinners and trackballs require optical encoders.

It will just be buttons and joysticks that's all!! 

sleong

• Offline Offline
Re: Finally going to build my first cabinet - Some questions I have about buttons
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »

Slagcoin layouts + test panel on a cardboard box + test playing will tell you which layout you like better before you go to the trouble of making two panels.   :cheers:

Scott

When printing out the control panel layouts from slagcoin.com sight what DPI should I be printing them in to get the actual/correct size?  I tried two printouts than it was either way too big or way too small.

I'm pretty close to the control panel part of the project and would like to test cut/drill before drilling the actual control panel.

Steve

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Finally going to build my first cabinet - Some questions I have about buttons
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:19 pm »
Not sure if you can print the image from your browser -- Firefox appears to be distorting them like you described.

Not sure if Windows photo printing wizard will resize and distort the image.   :dunno

I saved the images and embedded them into a PowerPoint document so I could print the different layouts that I was considering.

Scott