Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 305592 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2021, 01:12:59 am »
Here is a link to the service manual for the cdw wallbox:

https://www.coinopking.co.uk/manuals/rowe-ami-cd-wallbox-service-manual

static1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2021, 10:03:09 pm
« Reply #841 on: April 08, 2021, 10:12:51 am »
I contacted them via email weeks ago and got no reply.

Scott

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2021, 08:50:36 pm
  • Love old arcades and jukeboxes
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2021, 11:03:04 am »
Hi!  I’m in need of help with an issue.  There’s a little bit of a “story” to explain to help you understand how I got here. 
I have a Rowe R90.  I also have an extra amp that I wanted to check before sending it to a friend in FL.  So I thought it best to take my amp out of the R90 and put the extra amp in (matching numbers on the amps 6-07438-06).  I put the extra amp in and got no sound from the jukebox.  So I put my original amp back in the R90 and now get a very low volume.  All the speakers are being powered and the remote volume control does get the limited volume to increase and decrease.  So I decided to put in an amp from a working Rowe R88 (same numbers) and it had the same limited volume.
What might have happened when I tested the extra amp that would have caused the loss of volume?  Is it in the amp or something external that I’m not thinking about?  I’ve swapped out the amp boards to see if that might be an issue but no change. 
I’m stumped.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks
Rod

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2021, 11:17:31 am »
I know on the cd100 machines, the volume control connector which plugs into the amplifier is NOT keyed and can be accidently plugged in backwards. Maybe that simple thing has happened in your machine?

Also, the jumper plug which plugs into the preamp board on the amplifier, it can also be plugged in backwards accidently.

The preamp board as well as the two driver boards in the amplifier are very prone to developing bad solder joints, particularly at the connectors.

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
Thanks, Ken
To make this information a little more complete I need to add that upon closer inspection I don't have anything coming from the left side.  I guess the sound was so soft that I couldn't tell until I unplugged the right side speaker. 
I'll check out the things you've mentioned and then get back. 
Thanks for your help,
Rod

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2021, 03:04:44 pm »
Ken,
If I decide to check the driver/preamp boards would it be safe to use the amp from my R89?  It's a 6-09931-02 130W amp.  The amp from my R90 is a 6-07438-06 125W amp.  Should I be able to isolate which board(s) is/are bad by doing this one-at-a-time exchange?

Thanks for your help.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #846 on: April 24, 2021, 10:54:17 am »
Alan Hood ("ami-man" ) has moved to this jukebox forum:

https://jukeboxaddicts.proboards.com/

He can help with your questions. It's been so long since I last worked on a 45 Rowe, I don't remember which amplifiers have which connectors and which amplifiers interchange.

phesson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2022, 01:50:57 pm
  • If there’s a Pinball and Jukebox there, I’m happy.
ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2021, 09:08:34 pm »
Hello,
This is Paul in Southern Ohio.
I have a Rowe CD100-A. The fluorescent light in the door flickers. I changed the starters but the flickering is getting worse. What is a suitable replacement for the ballasts? Can these be rebuilt?
Thanks
Paul

Rowe R90, , CD100A, Wurlitzer 1450
Whirlwind, Grand Lizard, Mata Hari Pinball

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #848 on: May 15, 2021, 09:25:44 pm »
An old fluorescent tube will flicker before it burns out. Sometimes you can get a bad tube out of a batch (especially made in China tubes) or if the ambient temperature is below 60 degrees, a tube will flicker.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
99% of the time it's the tube. if you take it out i'll bet you find the ends are dark on it. the tube electrodes are worn out and no longer emit charged particles properly to fire up the tube.

the only time you need to replace the ballast is if you've run a bad flickery tube in it for an extended amount of time. (i'm talking weeks here) they cannot be "rebuilt" and must be replaced. by this point since you would have to hack out the ballast anyways, it's a perfect time to rewire it for some LED tube replacements.

if you are still set on fluorescent, know you might have an issue finding supply, as they have fallen greatly out of favor in some places making replacements almost impossible to find...and only moreso in the future due to their use of mercury and phosphor.

phesson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2022, 01:50:57 pm
  • If there’s a Pinball and Jukebox there, I’m happy.
« Reply #850 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:13 pm »

the only time you need to replace the ballast is if you've run a bad flickery tube in it for an extended amount of time. (i'm talking weeks here) they cannot be "rebuilt" and must be replaced. by this point since you would have to hack out the ballast anyways, it's a perfect time to rewire it for some LED tube replacements.

The bottom tube is chronic now so it is disconnected. Now the upper tube is beginning to flicker. I am not against led tubes. I have not found an identification of the wiring for the ballasts. I don’t want to cook anything  ???
Paul

Rowe R90, , CD100A, Wurlitzer 1450
Whirlwind, Grand Lizard, Mata Hari Pinball

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #851 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:23 pm »
the ballast is basically in line with the live wire, its function is to limit current after the striking of the tube. to bypass it you'd simply just cut the 2 wires and attach them together like attached photo.

EDIT:

well not actually like the pic...but the wiring in the Rowe is the same as this... sans the switch.

(live through  the ballast... to one side of the tube and so on.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:10:37 pm by lilshawn »

David / Amy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 02:46:08 am
« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2021, 12:42:21 am »
Hi Everyone. I need a bit of help with a R85. In short - I have just purchased this machine and it was going fine for a couple of days, but I was fiddling with the volume pot because it was a bit scratchy and not a nice smooth increase/decrease in volume and as I was fiddling the JB just stopped working mid song. The three lights are red on the power supply, other display lights are working, it sounds like there is power to the amp, going into service mode doesn't do anything, I have checked the fuses in the power supply and they look ok, and they look like slow blow types. I have another trouble free R85 so I have swapped out the CCC and the MCC but the symptoms remain the same.
I'm not much good with electronics, hence having two R85s so I can at least try to isolate the problem. But this has me beat so far. I do have the Field Service Manual but haven't found anything in it that seems to be my problem.
I'm hoping that an experienced hand will know where to point me to isolate the problem.
My apologies for being a bit of a mug with JBs but I will be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks for your time
David
Honest, it was working. I didn't touch anything - much.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2021, 11:09:44 pm »
There are fuses inside the amplifier.

David / Amy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 02:46:08 am
« Reply #854 on: June 10, 2021, 02:46:09 am »
Thank you Ken. I haven't checked these but I will now. If these have blown would it explain why the turntable just stopped mid song? It wasn't just the sound that stopped.
David
Honest, it was working. I didn't touch anything - much.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #855 on: June 10, 2021, 11:47:41 am »
The mechanism control board could have a problem.

JohnnyNebula

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2021, 05:52:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #856 on: June 28, 2021, 05:52:29 pm »
Hello Alan,

I've been tinkering with my Rowe Ami R-81 jukebox on and off for a few years now and I am wondering if you could help me out with a couple issues I'm finding. When I bought the juke years ago the tonearm/cartridge was loose in the unit. After replacing the stylus with a new Shure, I soldered the tone arm wires back into place, but now I believe I've done something incorrectly. I have the manual but can't find a schematic for the wiring from cartridge to the amp. Do you have any knowledge on how the tone arm is wired or even a close up picture of the tone arm and cartridge wiring? I am also hoping you could show me what the proper tap setup on the output looks like. As of now I have the connections made at E6 on both the left and right channels. Only the left channel seems to be working. The manual states to attach one common lead to E1, however I do not see another lead coming out from underneath the transformers to attach to anything. As far as I can tell I have one red lead and one brown lead. I believe the previous owner may have tried to replace the internal speakers so now I'm trying to sort through what was done correctly and what needs to be repaired. If you have a photo of proper wiring for the top speakers that would be appreciated too. Thank you for any wisdom you can bestow.

Thanks again,
John

jlucey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2021, 11:07:16 am
« Reply #857 on: September 17, 2021, 10:39:00 am »
Hello all,
         I recently acquired an AMI R-83 that has an issue with the carousel. It does not spin under its own power at all. If I move it by hand it will grab a record and place it on the turntable and play the record. The belt appears to be intact as well. I am at a loss as to where to start with this issue. It also has some other minor issues with audio volume control, it is 100% or nothing but at least it plays. Any recommendations on getting the carousel to turn would be appreciated.

Thank you,
John

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2023, 02:00:40 pm
« Reply #858 on: December 16, 2021, 08:14:42 am »
I have a JAL that won't change records.  After playing a 45, the carousel rotates but stops and plays the same record again.  We've had it a few years.  Other than cleaning the stylus, we haven't done anything to it.  It worked fine until it stopped changing records.  I'm sure there must be a post on here somewhere that addresses this problem but I haven't been able to find it.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  I am ordering the manuals for it but I'm not sure if they will point me to the problem.

jwarburton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2021, 02:00:00 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #859 on: December 27, 2021, 10:41:07 am »
Hi, I have an rowe-ami R88 jukebox.  It's started to develop an electrical pop that seems to get worse the longer it's left on.  It can happen if a record is playing or not.

I'm starting to recap the amp and working my way through it but I'm unsure about the large smoothing capacitors

They are 4700uf 50v.  Do I just unsolder the red wires and run a new capacitor from the red wires to any of the black wires that are connected for each of the capacitors?

jwarburton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2021, 02:00:00 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #860 on: December 27, 2021, 02:00:41 pm »
just watched this video so will go with this method.  Surprised they left them connected.

RRJackson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2022, 02:10:22 am
« Reply #861 on: February 20, 2022, 02:09:21 am »
I have an R-83. Two selections, 138/238 and 149/249, play fine, but then the record is returned to the adjacent slot to the left. 138/238 will end up in 137/237 and 149/249 will end up in 148/248. I don't know if there's anything obvious about this issue, but it's kind of an annoyance.

-Rob Jackson

ahorner123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2023, 03:07:11 pm
« Reply #862 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:11 pm »
My dad has an AMI Rowe Record Jukebox, it keeps throwing up error codes 1, 8 and 12.. We replaced the battery and got a different coin thingy but the error for the coin thingy came back after i messed around a little bit and turned the coin connector around so it was going the right way ando now it flags the error... My dad and myself are getting very irritated trying to figure the issue out the last 3 months can someone help?

johniggle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 07:45:30 am
« Reply #863 on: June 28, 2023, 12:37:56 am »
Hi Alan
I have a AMI Rowe 100 Watt Jukebox Stereo Amplifier R-3760A from a MM2 with burned transistors
Do you know  the Replacement /Cross reference transistors for this amplifier?  Any guide ? All ready have the flipper. com list. Just looking for the missing / not mentioned power and driver's transistors.
Thanks in advance.
John

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #864 on: June 28, 2023, 02:36:14 pm »
the part number of the transistors is printed right on the top on their cases. it'll be a part number such as 2N1234 it should have 2 different sets of 2... one set of 2 will be like "2N1234" and the other set will be like "2N1236" as one set are PNP type transistors, and the other will be NPN type.
we can better cross reference the original part numbers better with those numbers.

Mycampbell1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 10:41:57 pm
« Reply #865 on: March 01, 2024, 10:40:05 pm »
Hello.  I am hoping that someone is still active in this post.  I have a Rowe Ami TI-2, recently acquired.  I have cleaned connections and can get a record to play by manually turning gears to cams.  However,  when I make a selection, the selection assembly rotates, pin is depressed, then nothing.  The magazine does not turn.  We took the motor out, cleaned it and put it back in and magazine works! Yaay!  Except it was binding on something and broke the main gear.  Replaced it, put it back together and …. The magazine will not work…. Any ideas??? We are out of them. Lol

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #866 on: March 02, 2024, 03:25:29 pm »
i don't know this machine specifically but i will give you a synopsis of this type of machine in general.

when you "coin-up" the machine, IE, you supply a credit to the machine to be able to play a record.... you essentially supply power from the coin circuit to the selection keypad. (either by a switch on the credit unit or a relay)

you press the buttons... (for example "A") it allows the power from the coin-up circuit to pass through the letter button "A"...to the number buttons (say, it's "1" you press) when you have the 2 buttons pressed , you complete a power circuit that turns on the selector motor and it begins rotating. your 2 buttons now also are passing power to a particular stud on the selector.

the fingers on the selector are rotating now... going over all the dead power studs until the stud connected to A1 goes past and the power being passed from the coin-up circuit.... through the "A" and the "1" on the keypad... through the stud on the selector.... through the fingers on the selector..... to the selector actuator solenoid. the actuator solenoid is powered *CLUNK* and the appropriate pin currently in front of the actuator is pushed out... (usually the keypad buttons are also reset at this time)...... when the pin rotates around into the mechanism and actuates the record selection itself mechanically but the electrical system continues to operate until the pin can be reset and the system shuts down. typically the selector has a "home" position switch, where electrically, the selector switch will power the motor on it own regardless of the reason so that it has made 1 full rotation. (to allow for things to reset and whatnot.) you should be able to actuate this "home" switch and have the motor run on it's own one full rotation, wherethen it will return to it's home position. if actuating this switch does not cause the motor to run, it's electrical power must be checked out.

so....

if your machine is acting dead dead... you need to check the coin-up circuit to make sure power is getting to the keypad when a coin is inserted. if there is no power there, check to make sure power is getting to the coin-up circuit from the main power supply.

it's just a matter of checking along each step of the way to make sure the power is getting from point a to b... b to c... c to d and so on.

typically if you have your selector buttons mounted to an openable door, the wires passing the power from the keypad to the selector typically break in the door hinge joint. (repeated bending) this can cause a selector to not work or work intermittently.

you may have a power issue for the selector motor by either the home position switch or the switch/relay from the keypad that kickstarts the process of rotation so the home position switch can take over. you just need to carefully watch the process to see where things are getting hung up... but by the sounds of things it's kickstarting...but not continuing so i'd look into the home position switch.

good luck!

Djustham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:10:28 am
« Reply #867 on: March 02, 2024, 04:59:36 pm »
Hi
Im really stuck here and Im thinking maybe its an easy fix.
I have an AMI Rowe jukebox that plays 45s.  Thinks its an 80s something model.  It advances one number beyond the number you input.  If you input 238 it plays the 45 in the 239 slot.  Is there an easy way to fix this?
Thanks in advance.
DOn

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #868 on: March 02, 2024, 07:41:31 pm »
as stated above, the selector fingers or the selector solenoid or possibly a switch are likely adjustable... sometimes by a setscrew on a stop or gear position. but there is a way you can crank it back a bit or forward (basically alter the timing in some way)  so it punches out the previous pin for the selection before.