Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 309311 times)

Old Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2021, 08:50:36 pm
  • Love old arcades and jukeboxes
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #800 on: May 17, 2020, 07:29:30 pm »
I have a Rowe R90 with a Err5 code, I cannot find a error code list. Is the 407773 central control computer bad?

Tman,
I'll try to help.  I haven't been in the forum for very long.  I also have a Rowe R-90 jukebox.  According to my manual Err5 indicates that Wallbox serial signal (pin 4 P4) is always low. 
Here's what the manual says to do:
1. Put the SERVICE switch OFF
2. Unplug connector P4
3. Put the SERVICE switch to SERVICE
4. See Note 1 - (Note 1:  Use 666 to check for mu7ltiple errors before using the 699 command to erase all error codes)
5. Type 699 to clear all error codes
6. Put the SERVICE switch to ON
7. If the error still remains, replace the computer.  If the error is gone, it was caused by a permanent or intermittent short in the wallbox cable or a defective wallbox.

Hope this helps.
Rod
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:36:09 pm by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #801 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:56 am »
Hi Alan.  That’s for being willing to consider helping me.
I have an R-90 jukebox. It’s runs and sounds great other than it occasionally just stops during a record. Sometimes it will continue playing in a few seconds. Other times it will start and stop several times. Other times it will be several minutes before it continues.
I’ve had the Mech board tested. I bought a new wiring harness from CCC to Mech board. I’ve checked all the Molex connections for wear/breaks. I’ve replaced the battery on the CCC. Looked for cold solder joints but nothing seemed to look bad (but they’re hard to find).
The funny thing is that it will sometimes play for several hours without an issue  Since the stoppage is generally temporary I’m assuming there’s a connector problem. Any suggestions on what/or where to look?  Should I consider a new CCC?  Thanks for the help.
Rod

apcc11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2020, 11:51:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #802 on: June 08, 2020, 09:22:46 am »
I have a Rowe Starglo and the led control assembly has 10 switches that control the led functions. I can not find anywhere what they they do, does anyone have a list of what the switches do?

PaulMcGuire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2020, 12:39:36 pm
« Reply #803 on: June 08, 2020, 07:01:50 pm »
My name is Paul and I live in Oregon USA; I believe that I have a bad memory unit 301-07855 and have been looking for some to repair it. I was wondering if you had any recommendations. Thank you very much for your time.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #804 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:53 pm »
My name is Paul and I live in Oregon USA; I believe that I have a bad memory unit 301-07855 and have been looking for some to repair it. I was wondering if you had any recommendations. Thank you very much for your time.

Bruce Wentworth of A & B Jukebox Repair should be able to repair it:

https://www.abjukeboxrepair.com/

waryan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2020, 12:00:39 pm
« Reply #805 on: June 09, 2020, 03:01:58 am »
Hi AMI-man,

I have an RI-1 that I have functioning pretty well, except for one issue. There is a lot of noise when the player starts to engage. I can lift the tonearm up and the noise continues. It is a popping and loud hum. The noise will go up and down with the volume control. My gut tells me this is a grounding issue based on my experience with other hifi systems.

I have a can of deoxit if that can help.

I do believe that monkeying with the pin connection that goes to the RCA plugs makes a difference. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Andrew

Jbaryz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2020, 08:22:06 am
« Reply #806 on: June 09, 2020, 02:22:16 pm »
sounds like crossover or speaker issue.

if pink sounds fine on either left or right E7 terminal, that eliminates the amp and anything upstream from it (cables, CD unit, transformer, amp, etc)

i'll wager it's the crossover. Check it for broken solder joints. the vibrations from the music will often break the connections from the big heavy components used on them.

Apologize for the lack of knowledge here, just got a CD-100B given to me. Sounds was playing out of left speaker, nothing on right. I switch the purple from Left E7 to Right E7 and Pink from right E7 to left E7 now right speaker is working just fine. If I change it back to purple on left E7 and pink on right E7 the right speaker doesn't work and I got sound on left speaker. When you say crossover, that is the part we are talking to with the E terminals on it correct?

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #807 on: June 09, 2020, 06:50:41 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have a Rowe AMI R-90 Jukebox with an AMI WRF Wallbox attached.  I am receiving an occasional error on the jukebox Err 6 which is telling me that I have a wallbox serial signal always high.  I'm lost on this error.  I can't figure out if the problem is in the jukebox or in the wallbox.  I've checked all the connectors and they seem good.  The jukebox plays well and sounds good but occasionally it will stop mid-record and the Err 6 shows on the jukebox CCC.  If anyone can give me an idea of what might be going on I'd be appreciative.  I don't think it matters but I also have a remote volume control/cancel unit attached too.  Thanks for any help.
Rod
Indiana (US)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #808 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:05 pm »
sounds like crossover or speaker issue.

if pink sounds fine on either left or right E7 terminal, that eliminates the amp and anything upstream from it (cables, CD unit, transformer, amp, etc)

i'll wager it's the crossover. Check it for broken solder joints. the vibrations from the music will often break the connections from the big heavy components used on them.

Apologize for the lack of knowledge here, just got a CD-100B given to me. Sounds was playing out of left speaker, nothing on right. I switch the purple from Left E7 to Right E7 and Pink from right E7 to left E7 now right speaker is working just fine. If I change it back to purple on left E7 and pink on right E7 the right speaker doesn't work and I got sound on left speaker. When you say crossover, that is the part we are talking to with the E terminals on it correct?

double check the RCA connections and try swapping those around. (Left to right and vice versa) and see if the working channel moves. if it does, you have a bad RCA cable.

the crossover is a board near the amp with capacitors resistors and 4 big coils of wire on it. you may have to remove some wood panels to access the area... it's about 5 inches by 8 inches in size with 2 plugs on it. give the plugs a wiggle and press on the board and some of the components... and see if the speakers cut back on. if they cut in and out, you have a bad connection or maybe some broken traces or solder joints and the crossover will need to be repaired.

if none of these things...you probably have an amp issue. if you remove the amp from the wall and have a look on the backside of it, you'll see two 4 x 4 inch square boards tucked behind the larger board... each one will have 2 fuses on them that you can see without having to remove anything.... see if one board has a set of fuses blown out on them. if it does, the amp will need to be repaired.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #809 on: June 09, 2020, 10:08:17 pm »
"ami-man" (Alan Hood) hasn't been on the forum since March 6th this year. Has anything happened to him?

Jbaryz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #810 on: June 10, 2020, 12:06:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips lilshawn. I spent some time out there this morning and found something interesting. I think my complete lack of knowledge on these things was the first culprit  :lol

When I got it, the jumper was where it says "Jumper Volume", after looking at it a bit I realized "duh" it said to move over to the left a slot for dual channel. I moved it over there and now have sound in both speakers, however it is VERY faint and crackles a bit. I move the jumper back to the right and goes back to a single speaker but sound is crystal clear.

Took a couple photos.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #811 on: June 10, 2020, 09:20:17 pm »
to use that dual channel function you need a "stereo" volume control, (it is essentially 2 volume controls stacked together that turn in unison) or 2 seperate single controls that you can independently control. (you would normally have the juke speakers say on left and some external speakers on right and be able to control them separately.)

you would have the common wires for the volume pots attached to common (where you have red) and one volume pot attached to where you have green, and the other attached to the jumper where you have moved it. (move here for dual channel) then you would have independent volume control of each left and right channel.

typically, you just attach a single pot and have the jumper in the other position. (jumper volume)

Jbaryz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #812 on: June 11, 2020, 09:17:27 am »
Ok, that makes sense (I think).

I don't plan on having external speakers. Having separate volume control of the Juke and external speakers makes all the sense to me.

"typically, you just attach a single pot and have the jumper in the other position. (jumper volume)"  --> and only get sound out of 1 speaker on the juke itself?

What about if I use the "built in" volume control? Is there no way to get sound out of both speakers using that either?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #813 on: June 11, 2020, 08:36:28 pm »
the single control setup should operate both channels (albeit in a mono configuration.) for stereo/dual channel mode you need a stereo stack pot or 2 separate pots.

Jbaryz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #814 on: June 12, 2020, 07:26:20 am »
Got it.

I must have other issues then as when I have the single volume control with the jumper to the right "jumper volume" i only get sound out of single speaker. I have already messed with the RCA connections, so it appears its an amp issue. In that case, its going to stay the way it is!

arcadus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2020, 05:56:34 am
« Reply #815 on: June 13, 2020, 07:30:29 am »
Hello..
I was given  an Eagle (1996) CD100  to repair. It is missing the CD player and controller/ decoder boards?. Are these still available. Searching the internet and Rowe yields very little.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #816 on: June 13, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
Arcadus:

Bruce Wentworth of A & B Jukebox Repair sells and repairs all of those parts.

https://www.abjukeboxrepair.com/

arcadus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2020, 05:56:34 am
« Reply #817 on: June 14, 2020, 12:11:35 am »
Thank you Ken Layton, much appreciated.

paparussh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2020, 06:40:50 pm
Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance,

I am trying to troubleshoot and get working a r-82 jukebox.

I have been just taking it bit by bit, and today I pulled the corroded rechargeable batteries that were connected to the two memory boards, one with three AA size batteries, another with two of the same.

I would like to find the right way to replace these to continue my troubleshooting efforts but I cannot find anything regarding the battery power/voltages or an official replacement part ( given that these are 40 years old, Im sure the battery size is MUCH different now, but that is a different story)

All I have been able to gather is that these are NI-CAD rechargeable batteries, and they were pretty much falling apart. 

Any direction on finding a replacement, making a replacement ( I think I seen some posts about MAKING one via soldering, but I have NO idea how to do that correctly) would be appreciated.

Im sure there is more info you may need and I am ABSOLUTELY new to this, but for now, I just want to replace these batteries and then move onto the NEXT troubleshooting step.

Thanks in advance.

Papa Russ

whitespruce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2020, 02:38:43 pm
« Reply #819 on: June 16, 2020, 06:33:26 pm »
Hello, new here, so if I do something wrong, please advise.

I was given a rowe/ami TI 1 jukebox and would like to get it running. I did buy a service manual/parts catalog/troubleshooting guide, but I know nothing about these machines. I know I will need to clean this one up,but when opening it up, there is no slug rejector or coin switches. Just empty space where these are supposed to be.  Does this mean it is set up to run for free? Or do I need these parts to make it work? Please help get me started. I know I will have many more questions. Thanks.

Grant Goltz

jaws3dfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2020, 08:02:55 am
« Reply #820 on: June 22, 2020, 12:05:40 pm »
Hello, I have a Rowe R81 and I am looking for a Driver Board, I believe the part number is 403-06315. Thank you for any assistance.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2020, 12:32:46 am
« Reply #821 on: June 24, 2020, 02:02:37 am »
Hello guys,
I have an r-92 combo that I have been working on. My Pioneer PD-M40 has a problem with the loading of cd's. What is the best solution to this problem? Any replacement players to replace these with? Can I buy a non rowe/ami unit and change the faceplate and make it work? Or just solder the plug into the new unit?

Dan

Luvmysearay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2020, 06:17:13 pm
« Reply #822 on: June 27, 2020, 08:46:56 pm »
hello,
i recently got an AMI r85 juke box.
i have a few issues,
first i have no operation, lights up and powers up, but the coins don't register, and on the amp and control board there is no 8VDC light on?
are there fuses for this circuit? there are two resettable circuit breakers on top of the amp that i pushed, the white one is downwind the black one doesn't stay down's this normal? even if i hold the black one down, there is no difference in the 8VDC light.
second, the bulbs that rotate around glass on the face of unity have quite a few burnt out, can you tell me the size and number and where i can purchase these?
thank you for your time,
jim
jimiannello@icloud.com

guido23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2020, 11:07:41 pm
« Reply #823 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:37 pm »
I suddenly can't find the keys to our AMI Rowe bubbler jukebox. Is there any way to order a spare set or do I need to have it rekeyed?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:18 pm »
No need to rekey. Contact the fine folks here to get the correct key for it:

http://www.needles4jukeboxes.com/jukebox_keys.htm

guido23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2020, 11:07:41 pm
« Reply #825 on: June 28, 2020, 11:08:25 pm »
A thousand thankyous! Key ordered!

robsterdobster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 03:20:45 pm
« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2020, 02:20:53 pm »
Hi

I have a Rowe AMI R-74 and I am trying to troubleshoot why the carousel won't turn.

I have checked the motor and it works I can manual switch the motor to spin.

The selector buttons and selection mechanism appears to be working correctly but the carousel for some reason won't turn once a track has been selected.

Any help in troubleshooting the problem gratefully received.

I have a manual and followed some of the troubleshooting steps but need a little help!

Thanks in advance
Rob

lkt1954

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2020, 05:25:11 pm
« Reply #827 on: July 15, 2020, 03:27:11 pm »
I'm new to this forum and seeking some advise on a rowe/ami r87 golden jukebox.
I am refinishing the golden jukebox and am wondering what colors were used originally on it.
Can any one help me with what color paint to use on the gold and the brown?(black)?
Also can I use paint stripper to remove all the old paint?

Thanks
Larry

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #828 on: July 16, 2020, 05:53:00 pm »
I personally would advise against stripping. the plastics don't fair very well with the chemicals. your best option is to lightly sand (as not to disturb the texture too much) and then spray paint with a close color match paint.

I've had fairly good experience with "duplicolor for wheels". (mainly because the light and dark silver colors where a good match for the 100E's I was painting) The can stated it would bond good with other paints and plastics as well. the jukes where painted about 6 years ago, and still look great even out in the public on route. the finish was very durable.

papa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 11:32:43 am
« Reply #829 on: August 13, 2020, 02:09:33 pm »
dear ami man i have an ami r86 but ineed to move the reject volume control to the side for easier access is this possible or is there an adapter i can buy? thanks papa

jjbott

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2020, 11:08:40 pm
« Reply #830 on: August 21, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »
Hello all! I have a few questions about sick R-81 that I hope you can help with. It used to work fine, but recent attempts to use it have gone poorly.

First, see this binder clip and bit of wood?

What the heck is supposed to be there? I just added them, since without something there it the tone arm crashes into the record grabbing mech. I dont see any broken parts rattling around the bottom though, and the service manual doesn't show anything that I can find. It seems to be necessary to lift the tone arm.

Second, the amp in it is a 100W R-3760B. What service manual would I order to find a schematic for it? The R-81 service manual references a 64W amp. I've found some info about a R-3760A, but not much about mine. It probably needs new caps and other work (sounds like garbage, sticky mute), and I'd like to have an accurate schematic before I give it a shot. EDIT: Seems that at least the pre-amp board (an R-3758A?) matches the preamp in the R-81 service manual. The rest doesnt seem to

Finally, the record changing mech is super stiff, and often gets stuck or fails to correctly place/pick up the record. Turning it manually is hardest when the records is being returned to the carousel. Any general advice before I take it completely apart? I see a couple stripped gears, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue. We'll see.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:37:12 pm by jjbott »

Shaunbask

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2020, 05:25:17 pm
« Reply #831 on: August 23, 2020, 05:21:30 pm »
Please please please help me!

I juat bought an ami r 87 model and it sounds great my problem is the display only shows selection 100 and only play the record thats in 100...any ideas? Oh im in northwest ohio area in the united states...

Thank you in advance!!!

appleton71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 05:49:18 pm
« Reply #832 on: October 25, 2020, 06:37:34 pm »
Hopefully this is an easy one...  I just picked up a Rowe CTI-1C Crestwood jukebox.  How do I set it for free play? 

Thanks!

Floundermay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2022, 10:42:45 pm
« Reply #833 on: December 03, 2020, 09:02:59 pm »
I just acquired a mm-1 Rowe. Unfortunately the amp is toast, burned and not worth fixing.  My question is what options do I have for replacement amps?  I realize it will take some tweaks to make it work, looking for thoughts on what I can do...

Adt80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2020, 04:49:03 pm
« Reply #834 on: December 04, 2020, 02:27:36 am »
Hi,

If you require advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes with regards to faults, where to get parts etc by all means leave a post.

It is best if you set your country details in your user account, that way forum members can direct you where to get spare parts or have repairs undertaken.

Regards
Alan

Hi Alan
We have just purchased an Ami Rowe R-84. Great sound. Works pretty well. We have one trouble with the turntable running continuously. Can you advise?

Kind regards
Andy and Genevieve

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Mattyhull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2023, 01:15:55 pm
« Reply #835 on: December 15, 2020, 03:06:17 pm »
Hello

Hope everyone is ok .

I had a Antique Aperatus ( Rowe 91 ) given to me from my late farther .
I have the manual of a 91 Rowe . And have loaded some records but cannot stop it randomly playing A and B sides it won’t let me make a selection. I have put it in program mode and tried to turn of auto play . I am desperate for us to use this at Christmas . I’m not having much look

Floundermay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2021, 12:49:23 pm »
I have a rowe MM1, When I select A1 it plays fine.  When I select B1 it plays A1 first the B1(Both pins are getting pushed).  The same thing happens with D2, F3 ect.  I used the manual and the adjustments seem ok.  An thoughts why it would select both sides only when the B side is picked?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:21 pm »
I have a rowe MM1, When I select A1 it plays fine.  When I select B1 it plays A1 first the B1(Both pins are getting pushed).  The same thing happens with D2, F3 ect.  I used the manual and the adjustments seem ok.  An thoughts why it would select both sides only when the B side is picked?

i don't know about this specifically... but...

usually this has something to do with the switch that sense the button press that allows the punching the solenoid to operate. the solenoid is hitting in between the pins so its contact on the B sides is either a little too early, or a little too late (depends on the design) causing it to punch in between and hit both.

Floundermay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #838 on: March 29, 2021, 10:49:53 pm »
A little more info, if I hold the B button in while the selector goes it will not push out the a pin, however as soon as I release the b button the a pin is pushed out.....

static1701

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2021, 10:03:09 pm
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes (Rowe CDW Wallstar)
« Reply #839 on: April 02, 2021, 11:05:00 pm »
Hello,
I picked up a Wallstar wallbox and it works fine but I would like to know what the dip switches and button on the circuit board do? I understand that the box id is set with them but what else? Really looking for a copy of the service manual. After a few minutes, the pages flip back to the first page and I want to find a way to turn that off.
Thanks, Scott