Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 305600 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #760 on: November 19, 2019, 09:32:42 am »
It is in docx format which I cannot upload here.
You can upload a .zip or .rar file containing the .docx file.   ;D

Scott

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #761 on: November 19, 2019, 10:00:15 am »
you can zip/rar/7z the file and then upload it here without problems (size must be under 4mb)

you could also export your document as a PDF in ms orfice and upload that.

dreay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2019, 08:46:06 pm
  • old electronics, yes please.
« Reply #762 on: November 23, 2019, 06:49:25 am »
Hey all, long time guest, first time poster in this forum.
My labor of love is my Rowe R1/2. Found her in the back of a mates garage. Pub fresh with a layer of storage dust. Nothing worked.

So far I've rebuilt the PSU, attended to the computers, serviced the mechanism, etc. Now she turns on, selects a record, plays it and returns it. Beautifully.

However I'm yet to get sound out of her for more than a couple of records. This amp is just something I can't get my head around. At this point the problem lays with the driver boards (402-06316). Both fuses where gone when I got to it and showed signs of liquid damage. So i pulled them out and replaced the caps and diodes. Everything else tested ok except the R24 trimpots (shorted). So replaced. New output transistors sourced (MJE6041, MJE6042) and installed.

No level of tinkering has made this work. I don't understand the effect the R24 trimpots have on this circuit, but i know its substantial. Can anyone offer advice on these boards? Do i need to bias the new MJEs? How? What should R24 be set to? I've only got a few sets of MJEs left, and even less hair.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Danny - from Australia.
well i'm still trying.

Cruiseomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2020, 01:41:53 am
« Reply #763 on: November 23, 2019, 08:13:31 am »
Ami-man, If someone is resurrecting a MM3 back from death after being abandoned in a barn for 20 years, What advice would you give them?
The amp is completely dead and shows evidence of prior repairs "attempted" but were very sloppy. One driver board has a transistor with a broke leg and blown large resistor with a couple traces lifted at the slide connect, a resistor on a 4 point bus bar under a transistor gets very hot, close to the transformer in what looks to be the power circuit it looks like a resistor was removed and bypassed. It is a mess. Wish I could be more specific or provide values but not at currently. Also unable to upload pictures as they always fail "security check".
Waiting for the service manual to come in hoping it has a schematic for the amp as well as wiring layout. Oddly enough, I have a fully populated relay strip marked Phonovue but don't have the player nor is it mounted. Just laying there.

Bingle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2019, 02:00:52 am
  • Practitioner of the Electro-Mechanical Arts
« Reply #764 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:12 pm »
Rowe-AMI Model 90...

Can you supply instructions for disabling the 30 minute autoplay feature (tries to stimulate use by playing a random song after 30 minutes of inactivity)?

When the day comes that you are asked who the first cloned dead person should be, PLEASE say "Nikola Tesla" on the off chance his clone would be able to finish the original Tesla's work on wireless power transmission. California really needs that now.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #765 on: November 27, 2019, 06:25:14 am »
Ami-man, If someone is resurrecting a MM3 back from death after being abandoned in a barn for 20 years, What advice would you give them?
The amp is completely dead and shows evidence of prior repairs "attempted" but were very sloppy. One driver board has a transistor with a broke leg and blown large resistor with a couple traces lifted at the slide connect, a resistor on a 4 point bus bar under a transistor gets very hot, close to the transformer in what looks to be the power circuit it looks like a resistor was removed and bypassed. It is a mess. Wish I could be more specific or provide values but not at currently. Also unable to upload pictures as they always fail "security check".
Waiting for the service manual to come in hoping it has a schematic for the amp as well as wiring layout. Oddly enough, I have a fully populated relay strip marked Phonovue but don't have the player nor is it mounted. Just laying there.

Hello Cruiseomatic,

My advice is not to waste time on the MM-3 amplifier, instead locate the 64 watt 2179A amplifier (601-02179 USA).

Fully strip down the mechanism /carousel and check for worn parts (bearings in the turntable motor & rubber mounts,), trunion & cam gears and associated gripper bow assembly, transfer motor, transfer link, crank & pin assembly (check the long pin, these do come loose).
Remove all old lunbrication and oil very sparingly (usually one drop) to motor oil wicks and idler wheel linkage pivot points and idler wheel, also one spot of oil on the turntable shaft. graphite gease should be used on the tone arm shaft & pillar and high melting point grease in the trunion casting pivot sockets.

Set all the adjustments on the mechanism as per any 1100 mechanism manual.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #766 on: November 27, 2019, 06:33:37 am »
Rowe-AMI Model 90...

Can you supply instructions for disabling the 30 minute autoplay feature (tries to stimulate use by playing a random song after 30 minutes of inactivity)?

Hello Bingle,

Check in your manual in the programming section:-
Enter into programming location 32 set this to 0 and then press poular button to set it.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Cruiseomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2020, 01:41:53 am
« Reply #767 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm »
Got it all cleaned and re-assembled but having a problem with the search unit  The plungers aren't wanting to actuate the pins  If I ground the leads on the wiper unit the plungers work great. Some times they work but usually don't. Service manual isn't much help unless I'm missing something. Also trying to adjust the mechanism where the bow isn't slamming down when setting down.

baldnic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 08:29:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2019, 08:34:50 pm »
Hello Baldnic,

You need to make sure that the Search Unit S1 & S2 relays are not jammed or that the drive motor clutch or dive belts are not slipping (this could be a sign of broken teeth on the gears.

The issue could also be that the transfer motor gears could be stripped and still be in partial transfer.

Regards
Alan

On my mm6 ....

So I've got the search motor unit to spin after freeing up the s1 and s2 relays. Thank you for that advice! Now my search unit motor continuously spins and no record is selected. The relay by the buttons seems to be functioning correctly and deselecting the buttons when it should. my manual says to check for opens but not sure which wires to start with and where they go from the button unit down to search motor. Any advice is appreciated.

baldnic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 08:29:17 pm
« Reply #769 on: December 12, 2019, 09:34:39 pm »
Please disregard my last request for advice. I cleaned all the contacts and the pins and the wiring connectors and it has started functioning properly. Thanks again for all the help on this forum.

Nick

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2021, 08:50:36 pm
  • Love old arcades and jukeboxes
« Reply #770 on: December 13, 2019, 12:40:02 am »
I just acquired a Rowe AMI R-90.  I have gone through the manual and read about the programming and how to change the settings at the different locations.  I have had the machine playing 45s while I was reading and learning how the programing went but now I have a problem.  I have set location 27 to 255.  But when I move the setting switch from service to run it doesn't display the 255 code in the digital screen as I thought it should.  I now can't play any of the 45s either.  Can you give me any idea(s) what I might have messed up.  My intention was to set it to freeplay but I'm not sure what I've done.  Thanks for any help or direction!

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #771 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:00 am »
Hello Old Guy,

Sorry you have not given your name.

After you have entered 255 in location 27 for free play you have to press POPULAR afterwards you can exit the programming mode by entering 999,

Regards
Alan
ami-man
UK

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #772 on: December 14, 2019, 06:34:12 am »
Any advice on what 10" 8 ohm woofers to use (or stay away from) to replace the ones in my Rowe/AMI R-90 I just bought?  Wide range of prices and not sure if there's anything special I need to consider since they're going in a jukebox. 
Thanks
Rod
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:47:47 pm by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #773 on: December 14, 2019, 06:36:52 am »
I found my mistake.  I had set the programming so that I could close the lid.  Once I returned that location to 0 everything worked fine.
Thanks,
Rod
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:48:08 pm by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #774 on: December 14, 2019, 05:18:14 pm »
I also have found that one of the buttons on my keyboard for the R-90 is not working.  I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be trying to take out that button myself.  What are my options?  Repair or replace?  Who should I send it to? 
Thanks,
Rod
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:48:28 pm by Old Guy »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #775 on: December 15, 2019, 09:42:46 pm »
Bruce Wentworth at A & B Jukebox Repair sells and services Rowe jukebox boards/assemblies:

https://www.abjukeboxrepair.com/

Dboyer437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2023, 11:21:40 am
  • I like to work of old jukeboxes, stereos
« Reply #776 on: December 18, 2019, 11:24:09 pm »
Greetings Alan. I am working on a Rowe AMI TI-1. I have most issues resolved. The last is with the search unit. When a selection is made 95% of the time the wipers just spin. A lot of time there will be a quick energizing of S1 but the after a very brief pause the wipers begin to spin. I have cleaned and adjusted the unit as per the manual. I cleaned the circuit board with a pencil rubber and S1 and S2 contacts with a paper wedge. I am thinking the fault may be with R2. So the letter side of the board is not properly energized after S1 fires. Would you have any advice on any testing or other steps to take? Are those relays available? Thanks for your time!

Dboyer437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2023, 11:21:40 am
  • I like to work of old jukeboxes, stereos
« Reply #777 on: December 27, 2019, 11:02:55 am »
Hello. Dave from the US again. I've made progress. Search unit is working. My trouble is now with the selector. All numbers register but only letters Q through V register. Letters A-P are an open circuit.  Have you run across a similar failure? What should I check?

Ksgal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2020, 06:29:50 pm
« Reply #778 on: January 01, 2020, 03:30:11 am »
I have a Rowe ami encore.  It has started displaying “not alwd in”. I can not find that message in my manual.  I have initialized the entire machine as well as individual discs.  It seems to guve that message to more and more discs.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #779 on: January 01, 2020, 07:11:49 pm »
I have a Rowe ami encore.  It has started displaying “not alwd in”. I can not find that message in my manual.  I have initialized the entire machine as well as individual discs.  It seems to guve that message to more and more discs.

usually becasue it's disabled the disk due to too many read errors. clean your lens and re initialize the disks.

Ksgal

• Offline Offline
« Reply #780 on: January 02, 2020, 01:10:10 pm »

usually becasue it's disabled the disk due to too many read errors. clean your lens and re initialize the disks.

Thank you! I did read about the 32 method of initialization and I cleaned my lens and tried that method and discovered and that solved my problem.  In terms of care and maintenance, should I turn off the jukebox at night or when we are not using. It or should I leave it on?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #781 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »
nothing wrong with turning it off. only take a few seconds to boot again anyways.

worse that can happen is the power switch wears out and stops working. like a $5 part to replace if it does.

the cost to repair/replace power supply components (capacitors etc) due to wear and tear, far outweighs that switch cost.

Ksgal

• Offline Offline
« Reply #782 on: January 02, 2020, 08:12:15 pm »
Thank you for your help

twounder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2020, 02:09:05 pm
« Reply #783 on: January 13, 2020, 07:24:18 pm »
Hi Alan,

After a patient 25 year wait, I finally got my rowe R59 bubbler. What a beautiful machine!

I am hooking up the amp accy board so i can play my ipod thru the phono and have the phone control the volume. i have connected everything according to the directions. (inputs to J1 and J5) When the juke is not playing and i select the ipod, the volume is low and I can't get it to the full volume that the juke is capable of. When i select a record, the volume of my ipod song picks up to the desired volume but the record sound is coming through as well.
when the record ends, the ipod song goes back to a very low volume which i don't want.
The phono amp is a 130 watt.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Par

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2020, 07:52:11 am »
Hello Par,

A simple test would be to remove the amplifier mute plug, if the ipod volume level is acceptable and is then the same volume as when a jukebox selection is made, then there is a mute issue on the amplifier/interface.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

s-petersen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 08:00:07 am
« Reply #785 on: January 18, 2020, 06:21:06 pm »
Hi Allen,
I just purchased an AMI WRC wallbox, there was no key when I bought it, so I picked the lock to have a look inside, there is a relay missing in the top center of the box, is it the bonus relay described in the schematics? If not, What does it do?
Thanks,
Scott Petersen Goshen, NY USA

twounder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #786 on: January 19, 2020, 08:02:09 pm »
Hi Alan,

Here's a bit more info my Rowe R89 45 bubbler. The amp is a 130watt.

If I hook up the ipod to J6 and J8 of the Accy kit, everything functions they way it should. The ipod controls the volume. The ipod music cuts out when phono is playing. and ipod switches in after phono finishes. The only drawback is that you're limited to the volume of the ipod, which is not much.

I disconnected the mute plug on the amp and i do not get any sound when i do that.

Thanks again,

Par

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #787 on: January 21, 2020, 05:44:20 am »
Hi Allen,
I just purchased an AMI WRC wallbox, there was no key when I bought it, so I picked the lock to have a look inside, there is a relay missing in the top center of the box, is it the bonus relay described in the schematics? If not, What does it do?
Thanks,
Scott Petersen Goshen, NY USA

Hi Scott,

That is usually the bonus relay.

Regards
Alan

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #788 on: January 21, 2020, 05:48:01 am »
Hi Alan,

If I hook up the ipod to J6 and J8 of the Accy kit, everything functions they way it should. The ipod controls the volume. The ipod music cuts out when phono is playing. and ipod switches in after phono finishes. The only drawback is that you're limited to the volume of the ipod, which is not much.

I disconnected the mute plug on the amp and i do not get any sound when i do that.

Thanks again,

Par

Hello Par,

I would be inclined to use some form of pre- amplifier to sort out this problem.

Regards
Alan

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #789 on: January 21, 2020, 02:25:00 pm »
Hi Alan,

Thanks again,

Par

Hello Par,

I would be inclined to use some form of pre- amplifier to sort out this problem.

Regards
Alan

I've used this one before, it works quite well for boosting low aux output levels.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Gain-Stereo-Audio-Booster-Control/dp/B018IKIX02

twounder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »
Thanks Alan and Lilshawn,

I have ordered a pre-amp unit and will see how that works out.

will keep you posted.

Appreciate all the help.

Par

winfahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2020, 10:01:17 pm
« Reply #791 on: February 06, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
Hi, new to this site.

I have two Ami Rowes, an R-85 and and R-86.  The R-86 has an issue where it sometime selects the wrong record, picking one that's one or two records away from the selected record.  I've followed the manual for adjustments when this happens but it hasn't solved the problem.  Any idea what's going on or what i should try?  Is it possible that it's so worn out that it can't be adjusted?  The R-86 works perfectly so I could swap parts if necessary but want to keep both working.

Thanks

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #792 on: February 07, 2020, 08:42:00 am »
Hello winfahl,

I suggest that you check your opto switch adjustments, clean the basket gear that the opto switch senors to remove any oil or grease. Check the sprag wheel for imperfections to the gear teeth or rotting of the stem bushing.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

normende

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2020, 11:02:20 pm
Rowe Ami 1100 mechanism issues and questions
« Reply #793 on: February 27, 2020, 10:46:29 pm »
N/A
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:46:14 am by normende »

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #794 on: March 10, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »
I ran across an AMI WRF Wall Box that I’d like to add to my R90.  I just got it so I’m in the process of sorting out where I am and what I need to know so that I can set a plan of action.  Here are my questions and if anyone can help I’d really appreciate it.  Thanks ahead of time.
A) I can’t seem to find either a printed or downloadable copy of the manuals for the WRF.  Can anyone give me a direction to look?
B) I have read my R90 manuals and found that only 3 specific accessories are listed for use with R90 and WRF combination (2-66989-05 Wall Box Adaptor Harness Kit (WRF), 4-06891-01 Auxiliary Power Supply for the WRF, and 0-05080-00 7-Conductor Cable [Either Belden No 8447 or Columbia No 4082]). Is this correct?  No stepper needed? 
C) If that is all I need (along with the manual, can anyone point me in the direction of where to locate the harness kit and the power supply? 
D) Can I use another 30 V power supply if I can match the 11.2 W and 0.41 A listed on the tag on the inside of the WRF?
E) I’m assuming that the 7-conductor wire will be pretty straight forward to find.  Any specific gauge wire to use?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Rod from Indiana

TmanFB111A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2020, 02:28:28 pm
« Reply #795 on: March 31, 2020, 02:28:28 pm »
I have a Rowe R90 with a Err5 code, I cannot find a error code list. Is the 407773 central control computer bad?

Segameister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2020, 09:38:28 am
« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:52 am »
Good Day,

I'm testing a Rowe R91 that works great mechanically but produces no sound.

- If the ccc is stuck on mute, is there a way to circumvent the mute chip?  I'm thinking along the lines of disconnecting the mute wires to see if that solves the problem?  Would disconnecting the mute wires ignore the mute chip's function?

- The amp: what signs can I look for to determine if it's working?  I've tried plugging it in to an external power source, and I get a quick 'blip' on the overload light when I plug it in but that is the only sign I've noticed to suggest its working properly...

Thanks,

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2020, 03:09:38 pm »
the mute line gets grounded to mute, so unplugging it would make the amp turn on.

typically this is an orange wire with a black tracer stripe on it.

Turbobird

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2020, 12:00:51 am
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2020, 06:45:57 pm »
New here I hope I’m doing this right. I just picked up a Rowe r-80 Imperial. Picked the locks and got inside. It seems to be missing the coin mechanism and something else on middle of the rear inside of the cabinet. Wondering if either of those things would keep it from working. The scan switch works. I have gotten it to select a record, place it on the platter and spin it but the needle arm doesn’t move to the record and then it picks the record back up and places it back into the Ferris wheel. I only does this if I trigger the ring behind the selection needles? By hand. I am in America by the way and located in Illinois. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old Guy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #799 on: May 17, 2020, 06:29:38 pm »
Hi Alan,
I'm having a great time with my R-90.  Want to thank you for all your help with all the Rowe questions ... you're helping more people than just the ones asking the questions.  My question this time is:  my R-90 is a Golden 90.  The body is in pretty good shape but, after "who knows how long" sitting in a truck stop, the paint is has need of attention.  Is there any chance you could direct me in how to find out what type and color of paint to use if I want to "touch up" the front.  Thanks,
Rod